Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718381 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #350 on: March 11, 2019, 10:40:04 PM »
There is an offer on the table for Jokanovic and he was almost certainly sounded out before Moore's departure. However there is some doubt as to whether or not he will accept. The individual concerned might best described as high maintenance so this was never going to be easy to land in a short timeframe. We have to have a back up plan.

Frankly by the time whoever we appoint has bedded in there will be barely 4 or 5 games to go plus if we are lucky the play-offs. The timing sucks the decision sucks Jokanovic is fine but not exactly exceptional, I actually don't care whether he takes it or not.

As for an interim appointment all our Head Coach appointments are f*cking interim. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #351 on: March 11, 2019, 10:43:45 PM »
What we need is a short term manager, who knows the club, can rebuild some pride, win the majority of the last games of the season and doesn’t have an ego.....anyone know what big Dave is doing.....oh yeah.

Seriously hope it’s the Serb. Two promotions from playoffs sounds promising.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #352 on: March 11, 2019, 10:44:24 PM »
I'm just going to say it....Jokanovich will be a bad choice. I base it on the fact he has not shown any long term commitment at any team he has coached. If the club decide to appoint him on an interim basis for the rest of the season we will be in this sh*t show of a merry-go-round of managers again in the summer.
I would not be convinced he wants to be here any longer than that. I'm sure a huge cash incentive to get us promoted would be his only attraction.
We have to look at people who WANT TO BE HERE and not just a quick fix.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #353 on: March 11, 2019, 10:45:21 PM »
I think those expecting a quick appointment of a new manager are in for a disappontment.  I presume that Lai demanded heads should roll last week, so Jenkins wielded the axe before it occurred to him that we probably need to think about looking for a new manager rather than promoting internally. 
If they have even finalised a shortlist yet I would be amazed, and I do not expect a new manager to be announced much before the end of the next pointless international break.  I also do not expect him to be one of the top five bookies favourites.

I think you will be wrong on both fronts

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #354 on: March 11, 2019, 10:53:01 PM »
I'm just going to say it....Jokanovich will be a bad choice. I base it on the fact he has not shown any long term commitment at any team he has coached. If the club decide to appoint him on an interim basis for the rest of the season we will be in this sh*t show of a merry-go-round of managers again in the summer.
I would not be convinced he wants to be here any longer than that. I'm sure a huge cash incentive to get us promoted would be his only attraction.
We have to look at people who WANT TO BE HERE and not just a quick fix.

To say you've misread the situation would be an understatement.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

lindenbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #355 on: March 11, 2019, 11:02:15 PM »
I don't think anything will be sealed until Jenkins arrives back from China.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #356 on: March 11, 2019, 11:13:57 PM »

To say you've misread the situation would be an understatement.
What exactly is "the situation"?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #357 on: March 11, 2019, 11:16:41 PM »
What exactly is "the situation"?

In the case of the post I quoted Jokanovic would not be an interim appointment...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #358 on: March 11, 2019, 11:20:50 PM »

In the case of the post I quoted Jokanovic would not be an interim appointment...
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Will he be an appointment at all though, that's the question.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #359 on: March 11, 2019, 11:31:24 PM »

I think you may have missed my point... The club may think they have a long term plan with Jokanovic but based on his record he may be a a short term appointment as he likes to move on at the drop of a hat.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #360 on: March 12, 2019, 02:42:17 AM »
I don't think anything will be sealed until Jenkins arrives back from China.

And knowing our penny pinching ways he's probably on a container ship and will get here in about 6 weeks.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #361 on: March 12, 2019, 08:22:29 AM »
The longer this drags on then the more I think Gary Megson would be perfect until the end of the season.

We are currently lacking all his traits: discipline, organisation, leadership, mental toughness, etc. And as ll the traits thaws t Leeds, Norwich, Sheff Utd have.  He also has the benefit of working here before and knows club culture.

He would certainly be a farc better option than Moyes or Appleton.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #362 on: March 12, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »
Huddersfield played some of the worst football known to man, barely threatening a goal in the top division. Also we want someone who would jump at the job. He ruled himself out the other day, this is just Matt Wilson creating column inches. Jokanovic is clearly the preferred target.

Indeed they did, they also got promoted with a negative goal difference so were always likely to struggle scoring at a higher level; they even had a worse goal difference than us last season. His win percentages with Dortmund's second team (34.8) and Huddersfield (33.1) are low too.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mini gaardsoe

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #363 on: March 12, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
The longer this drags on then the more I think Gary Megson would be perfect until the end of the season.

We are currently lacking all his traits: discipline, organisation, leadership, mental toughness, etc. And as ll the traits thaws t Leeds, Norwich, Sheff Utd have.  He also has the benefit of working here before and knows club culture.

He would certainly be a farc better option than Moyes or Appleton.

Not sure Jenkins and Megson get on, so I’d say that’s unlikely

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #364 on: March 12, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »
The longer this drags on

It's been less than three days since we sacked Darren and one of those days was a Sunday so I don't think you can justifiably call it dragging on at the moment.

There will be a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about and what media / journalists are not privy to. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone is announced before we take the field tomorrow night.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #365 on: March 12, 2019, 08:47:03 AM »
Not sure Jenkins and Megson get on, so I’d say that’s unlikely

Megson could fall out with his own shadow. 
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #366 on: March 12, 2019, 08:48:34 AM »
Pardew anyone? 40/1 on Betfair.

;D Attendance vs Swansea - 1,000 (all away fans).  :P

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #367 on: March 12, 2019, 08:55:00 AM »
Realistically, it will take a new man at least a month to implement even his most basic of ideas. I think we need to see this season as a free hit now as others have said. If we get the play offs (we should) great, if we go up - (maybe great in that at least we can rebuild with more money although we're likely to come straight back down), if we don't go up (most likely), the new man will have had a few months to assess what needs to be done and hit the ground running in the summer. This pre-summer planning must begin now and is arguably more important than our remaining league matches this season (except play off matches) as this summer will define our next few years (lots of ins and outs).

I still think it'll be Yokanovic, on a 3 year contract announced by tomorrow evening. The other names I think are just to ensure we have a plan b and that Yokanovic doesn't think he's in such a strong position (which he probably is btw).

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #368 on: March 12, 2019, 08:58:21 AM »
I think you may have missed my point... The club may think they have a long term plan with Jokanovic but based on his record he may be a a short term appointment as he likes to move on at the drop of a hat.

IMO, that's the problem, can see issues with the length of his contract. We would want a fairly short term ( wait & see) contract, he would want something a lot longer.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #369 on: March 12, 2019, 09:00:31 AM »
I just can't make sense of the timing of any of this. The only way it would have made sense would have been if someone was walking in the front door as Moore was walking out the back. As it is we are just on our merry-go-round of cheap, unemployed options. The board say they demand promotion, yet are unwilling to pay for it. As usual it's all backside about face.

I've asked this question a few times, does anyone have a clue what the new manager's remit is?

If it's simply taking the reigns until the end of the season, then why not leave Moore in charge?
If it's consolidate play offs then again, why not leave Moore in charge?
If it's promotion, then why are we still dithering about who it should be, with 2 games of 10 coming up in the next 4 days and will he be sacked if he fails?
If it's next season then have we written this one off?

Regardless of whether you think Moore was doing a good job, I can't see how the timing does anything but damage our chances this season.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #370 on: March 12, 2019, 09:08:50 AM »

It's been less than three days since we sacked Darren and one of those days was a Sunday so I don't think you can justifiably call it dragging on at the moment.

There will be a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about and what media / journalists are not privy to. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone is announced before we take the field tomorrow night.

I'd say they had dropped a brick.
They panicked, as usual, and got rid of the manager without having a back up plan ready to put into operation.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Arthur Pewty

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #371 on: March 12, 2019, 09:09:08 AM »
I think we have all missed the point. The club have offered weird Al Yankovic a 3year deal. Think Jenkins has had a google failure. At least the 1/2 time entertainment  will improve. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #372 on: March 12, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »
I think we have all missed the point. The club have offered weird Al Yankovic a 3year deal. Think Jenkins has had a google failure. At least the 1/2 time entertainment  will improve. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Are you and Deidre still seeing the marriage guidance counsellor?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #373 on: March 12, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »
In all honesty, I am not too worried by the fact that we got rid of Darren before the Swansea game and may not have a replacement in by that game, it was hardly like we were looking like winning a home game under Darren any time soon so at best it is an extra point he may have gained us from the match.

The weekend becomes infinitely more important, however.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #374 on: March 12, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
In all honesty, I am not too worried by the fact that we got rid of Darren before the Swansea game and may not have a replacement in by that game, it was hardly like we were looking like winning a home game under Darren any time soon so at best it is an extra point he may have gained us from the match.

The weekend becomes infinitely more important, however.

I disagree, with such few games left this season I think it was imperative that if we sacked Darren we needed someone in pronto.

I would rather have had Darren in for the weekend over a caretaker(s). I hope to be wrong but I struggle to see how our bunch of hard to be motivated players will be fired up by a caretaker.