Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718374 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »
I have little or no faith in us appointing the right man.

I want Jokanovic but can see it being Rowett knowing our lot.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2019, 08:59:03 AM »
Mcinnis for me but a little concerned some Aberdeen supporters would welcome his departure. get it right albion and i might want to come back after 2 years
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2019, 09:07:49 AM »
Mcinnis for me but a little concerned some Aberdeen supporters would welcome his departure. get it right albion and i might want to come back after 2 years

What is it with the love in with ex - Albion players, lets get someone in with no previous conections with the club.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »

What makes people want McInnis so much? Is it simply the fact that he is a former player of ours? That turned out well for big Dave didn't it? Alot of people who are based in Scotland who watch SPL football week in week out suggest that he has one of the best players in the league and doesn't know how or where to use him. By all accounts he hasn't got this glowing reputation with Aberdeen fans anymore either.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »
Massive no to McInnes.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »
Jokanovic is the standout candidate and the only name I'd be happy with out of the current contenders. McInnis or Appleton is a massive no from me. We need proven, not untested.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2019, 09:15:46 AM »
Just read that we're interested in Alex Neil who is currently at Preston.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »
Just read that we're interested in Alex Neil who is currently at Preston.

Hopefully just paper talk.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2019, 09:33:41 AM »
Our board have made appalling decisions for the last decade, overall. I've no faith in them getting it right this time.

They needed to commit to Darren or not appoint him at all, the man is on a learning curve and they should have either stuck to their guns or not gone with it in the first place.

We could have been contenders after that 5-5 with United in 2013. We should have gone all out for Lukaku and shown ambition. Clarke never really got the chance to build on what RH had achieved and since then it has been NO AMBITION all the way.

I love our club but it stinks to high hell at the roots.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2019, 09:39:54 AM »
Our board have made appalling decisions for the last decade, overall. I've no faith in them getting it right this time.

They needed to commit to Darren or not appoint him at all, the man is on a learning curve and they should have either stuck to their guns or not gone with it in the first place.

We could have been contenders after that 5-5 with United in 2013. We should have gone all out for Lukaku and shown ambition. Clarke never really got the chance to build on what RH had achieved and since then it has been NO AMBITION all the way.

I love our club but it stinks to high hell at the roots.

Clarke had the easiest job of all our recent managers inheriting Roy;s team, but he still managed to fluff it. While our recruitment has gone down hill as of late, Clarke was responsible for his own downfall.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2019, 09:47:42 AM »
I hope whoever we appoint will have the balls to face up to the board and spell out in no uncertain terms that this club needs a complete re-build whether we go up or not. This ownership needs to hear some harsh truths unless they want to spend the next decade outside the premiership....like so many other clubs with our heritage and tradition.

There's a lot of arrogance around our club at present....and we ain't very good lads.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2019, 09:52:01 AM »
I hope whoever we appoint will have the balls to face up to the board and spell out in no uncertain terms that this club needs a complete re-build whether we go up or not. This ownership needs to hear some harsh truths unless they want to spend the next decade outside the premiership....like so many other clubs with our heritage and tradition.

There's a lot of arrogance around our club at present....and we ain't very good lads.

I hope the prospective also asks/demands what support and backing he will get from the owner and board
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2019, 09:52:20 AM »
Hopefully just paper talk.
John Percy mentioned him as 'one of four' .....
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2019, 10:00:26 AM »
He’s manager of Leuven in Belgium
sacked in February.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #239 on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:22 AM »
I would knock Wagner and Neil off Percy's list. Wagner doesn't appear interested and Neil is in work. That leaves Jokanovic and Carvalhal. I would add Moyes as a third possibility.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #240 on: March 11, 2019, 10:05:46 AM »

Clarke had the easiest job of all our recent managers inheriting Roy;s team, but he still managed to fluff it. While our recruitment has gone down hill as of late, Clarke was responsible for his own downfall.
That was over 5 years ago and it was his first manager's post. Does it not occur to you that he may have learned a lot and improved a lot since that time. Actually, this could be said about several comments about other candidates too where they are being judged on things that happened years ago when they were new to the job. I'm not advocating any of these people necessarily, but some people do improve with experience.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2019, 10:07:30 AM »
The fact that it appears we have no-one lined up makes the decision all the more baffling. I just don't get what the new guy's remit will be.
It can't be automatic because that is too unrealistic
It can't be consolidation in the play off places because that was odds on anyway.
Can only be win the play offs or else, which is just ridiculous and will surely make any candidate think twice.

I would be interested to hear what those who think we have the best squad in the division would consider the minimum requirement of the new manager.
After all, if this is true and our failures are purely down to Moore and Jones' tactical ineptitude, then he should be able to fix it immediately. So what would be an acceptable points haul from the likely 9 games in charge?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2019, 10:18:46 AM »
I'm not sure we have THE best squad in the division but it's up there with the top 2 or 3.  Surely there's no arguing with that? Like it or not, the playing out from the back, the way we set up and the tactical approach has cost us this season.  It's simply not working.

A minimum requirement would be play offs and an improvement in how we approach games.  I don't mean winning them but making them, I'm not 100% sure if Moore would have managed that, maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't but I don't think there's much doubt whoever we play would have turned us over.

Part of the problem we have had is playing a system that doesn't suit the players.  Of course any issues won't be fixed immediately, nobody expects that but, unless you're telling me that Moore was getting the maximum from this squad then there's room for improvement.

Ipswich was no one off, we've played like that more often than not this season, unless that's the level of this squad then the management have to take some responsibility.  Or do you think that being outplayed by bottom club Ipswich is actually our level?

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #243 on: March 11, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »
That was over 5 years ago and it was his first manager's post. Does it not occur to you that he may have learned a lot and improved a lot since that time. Actually, this could be said about several comments about other candidates too where they are being judged on things that happened years ago when they were new to the job. I'm not advocating any of these people necessarily, but some people do improve with experience.

No has he has been plying his trade at a much lower level in Scotland. He's found his level in my opinion. I'd rather have Pulis back than Clarke by a country mile.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #244 on: March 11, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »

Disagreed entirely on many counts. Following a success is often the hardest job e.g Man Utd ! Also think he was led to believe Lukaku was going to return and planning was geared around that when as per the board dawdled Clarke was left in a bad place , still would have kept us up given the chance and then may well have gone on to improve us had he been given the same backing in the transfer market as the be capped one . Since Roy's departure Clarke was the one we sacked way to soon !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #245 on: March 11, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »
I did not say he did a bad job, and I have liked him for a while and said I wanted him when Pulis went.

But, it does concern me that he didn't have the balls to put his foot down and say I need a replacement for Tim ream not a Jean serri and the fact he walked out on Watford after promotion because his contract was not right rather than test himself in the prem with team he got promoted.

I think some are reading to much into the link between him and LD as the family that own Watford (pozzo I think) own udinese and Grenada and loaned most of the players to Watford so they went up as they obviously see the prem as the golden goose that must be protected after buying the hornets for a reported £500k.

So many loans that the EFL brought in a new rule restricting the number of loans

The jury is truly out on LD as in my eyes he hasn't brought in any unknown players from abroad or the lower leagues to improve us using his knowledge and contacts.

We went for tried and tested short term loans.

Hopefully, LD will prove himself in due course but the fact Watford not forest fought to keep him does not inspire me with confidence.

I wanted Jokanovic before Moore got the job to be honest but he was never going to leave Fulham for us in their position.

Can't blame him for leaving Watford if hes not happy with the deal offered, we don't know if any promises were made but not kept so hard for us to give views one way or the other. As for Fulham a friend of the owners son was getting involved in signings at one time using the moneyball system which seemed to cause problems that were never solved but if Jokanivic does come in and gets the best out of Johansen it might be a good thing all round.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #246 on: March 11, 2019, 10:30:39 AM »
Secretly taped from board meeting WBA 07/03/2019 - conducted by long-distance phone conferencing.

"  OK what's the cheapest option?"

"Well sir there's a few ex-players that would do it for love - almost.  you know Appleton, McInnes, Matt Carbon .."

"No we've gone down that route we wouldn't get away with it again"

" OK what's the next cheapest option?"

"Well your eastern magnificence, there's Alex Neil"

"No we would have to buy him out - that's a waste of money up front.  Whose next cheapest and out of a job?"

"Well you on whose #### [redacted] the sun would not dare to set, that leaves Carvalho."

"I don't know.  He's continental and therefore has expensive tastes and is not sufficiently malleable.  Ok try and get him on  contract until the end of the season and stay on your knees in front of me"

"But your mighty and exemplary excellency, why were we talking to Jokanovic?"

To pick up tips on how to manage a footballing side you idiot dog!"

Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #247 on: March 11, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »
I'm not sure we have THE best squad in the division but it's up there with the top 2 or 3.  Surely there's no arguing with that? Like it or not, the playing out from the back, the way we set up and the tactical approach has cost us this season.  It's simply not working.

A minimum requirement would be play offs and an improvement in how we approach games.  I don't mean winning them but making them, I'm not 100% sure if Moore would have managed that, maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't but I don't think there's much doubt whoever we play would have turned us over.

Part of the problem we have had is playing a system that doesn't suit the players.  Of course any issues won't be fixed immediately, nobody expects that but, unless you're telling me that Moore was getting the maximum from this squad then there's room for improvement.

Ipswich was no one off, we've played like that more often than not this season, unless that's the level of this squad then the management have to take some responsibility.  Or do you think that being outplayed by bottom club Ipswich is actually our level?
So the requirement is an improvement in style, not points?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #248 on: March 11, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »
The problem in our squad is to many old legs in the midfield they cant play two games week in week out,
running out of steam & lack of goals is what got us relegated, if we only played once every 7 days i would say yes best squad in this league.
The new manager not only has to keep us in a play off position (hopefully get us promoted to) but replace 6/7 players in our squad who we need let go at the end of the season (should have gone at the end of last season) & injection much needed pace & strength in our midfield.
Who ever our new manager will need £ & time to build a new team, lets hope we all give him that time.
ralf rangnick is that man for me.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
The problem in our squad is to many old legs in the midfield they cant play two games week in week out,
running out of steam & lack of goals is what got us relegated, if we only played once every 7 days i would say yes best squad in this league.
The new manager not only has to keep us in a play off position (hopefully get us promoted to) but replace 6/7 players in our squad who we need let go at the end of the season (should have gone at the end of last season) & injection much needed pace & strength in our midfield.
Who ever our new manager will need £ & time to build a new team, lets hope we all give him that time.
ralf rangnick is that man for me.

Rangnick is manager of RB Leipzig who are THIRD in the Bundesliga.

Enough said.