Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 723703 times)

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2019, 09:57:01 AM »
The compo issue is an odd one.  The club will happily spunk £1m on wages for half a season for geriatrics like Mears and Hoolahan who we didn’t need, but will baulk at paying compo to a little club like Kilmarnock (if he was our preferred option).  The club is very shortsighted on these things.
Totally agree but it is a barmy industry where the shop floor earns more than the management !!. With Clarke it isn't so much about the cash its more about the time we are bound to spend trying to haggle the compo down by 10 Bob or so that is the problem in my eyes as time is something we don't have
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
David Wagner is not interested in becoming the new West Brom manager, Sky sources understand.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
David Wagner is not interested in becoming the new West Brom manager, Sky sources understand.

Good. He wouldn't have been my choice anyway.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2019, 10:19:20 AM »
Paying compensation to get a new manager is one of the dumbest things anyone can do in football particularly as you will almost certainly fire the coach before his contract has expired. Pay for them to come and then pay for them to go away can easily double cost of hiring them and you almost never end up with a better coach.

Regardless of this in our current position we don't have time to dance the dance. If we approach a club for their manager particularly a highly rated one that club is almost certain to rebuff the initial enquiry they have to otherwise they will be slaughtered by their own fans. It is only when it is very apparent the manager will walk anyway that they will do the deal.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2019, 10:48:12 AM »
How many of them have watched us play even once this season do you reckon?

Well we have been on TV around 20 times this season so who knows

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2019, 10:48:46 AM »
Just finished breakfast. Still raging. Specifically "long term project" is adding insult to injury since January 2014 we have had 5 permanent Head Coaches

Pepe Mel  17 games
Alan Irvine 22 games
Tony Pulis 121 games
Alan Pardew 21 games
Darren Moore 38 games

They last an average of roughly 40 games stripping out Pulis it is down to less than 30. The only thing that looks like a long term project was Pulis and frankly we are still recovering from it.

We keep firing Head Coaches and installing a new one often with a competely different style of play (or in Pardew's case no style of play) and after the initial bounce we regress and fire the coach. Brunt and Morrison will be on their 9th coach when we appoint the next poor sod. If either player extends their stay at the club they will probably get to double figures by the end of next season. The last one to resign was Hodgson. 

Moore was a long term project or at least should have been viewed as such. If you appoint a Head Coach who is inexperineced give him an almighty task to sort out and very little support (i.e. DOF not appointed until after the season started) then you have to take the rough with the smooth.

So who among the runners and riders is the next long term project?

Forget anyone who is in employment for this decision to have any logic someone has to appointed almost instantly.

SlaviÅ¡a Jokanović has had almost as many clubs as we have had managers. He took Watford up but failed to agree a contract extention joined Tel Aviv that summer and was Fulham's manager by Christmas. His reign at Fulham had a constant soundtrack of discontent with him being reported on the verge of quitting on numerous occasions. This is not a long term project it is a quick fix until the next crisis or a better offer comes along. 

David Wagner sorry scratch him just seen that he has ruled himself out (smart guy)

Michael Appleton Yes in theory but won't be seen as good enough by the fans who will be 3 games away from them turning and he then becomes the next victim.

Hughes/Redknapp/Allaydyce/Moyes Saints preserve us best leave that lot on the pundits couch even if they could be lured to a Championship club.

There is no logic to this decision if there is it is purely to get a result across the next 10/12 games the one thing it isn't is a long term project.

Oh for those moaning about us not buying out the contract of managers currently in employment really what is the point? We are going to fire them probably before their contract at their old club expired anyway.

Can’t argue with any of that. We are well and truly in the mire now.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
The more I think about it the more I think Clarke could be the best option. He recently voiced discontent with the sectarianism up here and is proven. His teams are organised and play decent enough football.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »
I've seen it all now. Someone on Facebook wants Lee Hughes.  ::)

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2019, 10:57:35 AM »
I've seen it all now. Someone on Facebook wants Lee Hughes.  ::)
can only imagine that’s someone on a massive wind up, probably a dingle. He more I think about it the more Jokanovic appeals.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2019, 10:58:49 AM »
Why on earth would he leave Roma; who he's just signed up with; to come to us?

If our ownership genuinely tried that i'd suggest they check in to the nearest asylum
Wasn’t aware that he had joined Roma, put a line through that then
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »
What we need is some one to bring the same kind of reaction from the team and fans
That OGS has at Man Utd

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2019, 11:07:58 AM »
What we need is some one to bring the same kind of reaction from the team and fans
That OGS has at Man Utd

If only there was a club legend that everyone associated with the club respected.  ::)

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »
If only there was a club legend that everyone associated with the club respected.  ::)
and was tactically aware and a decent manager too.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2019, 11:40:21 AM »
and was tactically aware and a decent manager too.

And had a squad of players worth £600m...

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »
Can’t argue with any of that. We are well and truly in the mire now.

Give Appleton 3 games and he’s the next victim???

No mate he’s not even good enough to manage a lower championship club never mind us. If I remember right he was in charge and we were 3-0 up against West Hamand drew.

Nothing to do with fans turning on any manager. Any with any sense will know that someone like Appleton is not good enough. End of.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2019, 11:49:58 AM »
Would be pleased with Jokanovic or McInnes for different reasons.

Whoever we appoint, I really hope we commit to a long-term (or at least medium-term) project, with a focus on attacking football and bringing through young talent.  Chasing temporary success and survival short-term by throwing money at obvious aging players my nan could have given a scouting report on was what got us in this mess in the first place IMO.

What I'd do to have Ashworth back.
Please be careful with off the cuff remarks
Your Nan is now 4/1 2nd favourite to take over
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2019, 11:51:16 AM »

Good. He wouldn't have been my choice anyway.
He stated you as his reason 😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2019, 11:52:30 AM »
He stated you as his reason 😀

;D He's a wise man.

Pureade1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2019, 11:56:53 AM »
If we bring in Appleton then we might as well have stuck with Big Dave as Appleton only has a slight amount of experience at this level and no track record of promotion to speak of, not to mention no premier league experience. Jokanovic would be the choice for me.

Either way you have to hope the club has someone lined up.

loucanova

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
I feel ashamed of our club this morning, Moore has been treated disgustingly and all the club has managed to do so far with this decision is to divide our fan base(again). Who would want to take this job now other than some journeyman. Darren Moore was not perfect but overal since he took charge he has done a lot more good than harm. Truth is this squad isn’t nearly as good as a lot of fans think it is and our board and particularly our bloody useless owner who is so detached from the club and fans, need to take a good hard and long look at themselves because they must shoulder a lot of the blame. I wish Lai would sell up(that’s if anyone else would want to buy us) and urine off.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »
can only imagine that’s someone on a massive wind up, probably a dingle. He more I think about it the more Jokanovic appeals.

I doubt it. He is held in higher esteem than Pope Francis by some of our fans.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2019, 12:01:31 PM »
I feel ashamed of our club this morning, Moore has been treated disgustingly and all the club has managed to do so far with this decision is to divide our fan base(again). Who would want to take this job now other than some journeyman. Darren Moore was not perfect but overal since he took charge he has done a lot more good than harm. Truth is this squad isn’t nearly as good as a lot of fans think it is and our board and particularly our bloody useless owner who is so detached from the club and fans, need to take a good hard and long look at themselves because they must shoulder a lot of the blame. I wish Lai would sell up(that’s if anyone else would want to buy us) and urine off.
I feel ashamed of posts like this, but it's all about opinions
You say the squad isn't that great
Holgate/Gibbs best wing backs in the league for me
Gayle , if played correctly
Rodriguez subject of 20m bid
Etc etc....most other clubs would have swapped their squads for ours on day 1

I have no idea why people think they are experts at business and wish the chairmen to leave , why don't you make him an offer...?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2019, 12:03:41 PM »
Shocking I thought. Yeah, bad run of form, but without Barnes and Phillips and Gibbs we haven't got much class really, so not surprising we are struggling a bit. I thought we might have given him some time to reshape the squad in the summer and build up some experience as a manager with a view to long term stability, but no. I seriously dread to think who we will appoint. Am fearing the worst. Whoever it is, I would be willing to bet that he will not have got the same number of points after the same number of games that DM has achieved,

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
I feel ashamed of posts like this, but it's all about opinions
You say the squad isn't that great
Holgate/Gibbs best wing backs in the league for me
Gayle , if played correctly
Rodriguez subject of 20m bid
Etc etc....most other clubs would have swapped their squads for ours on day 1

I have no idea why people think they are experts at business and wish the chairmen to leave , why don't you make him an offer...?

Exactly.

Annoys me when people say it’s not they strong.

Hang on, a back four of Holgate, Dawson, Hegazi and Gibbs is one of the best in the league and before anybody says how many goals we’ve let in that’s because of Moore and jones insisting on us playing tippy tappy football out from the back.

Midfielders like Phillips Barry are two of the best in the league. Even Livermore is a top 6 championship player and great prospects like field and harper.

And then Gayle and Rodriguez is the best strike pair in the league.

With that all in consideration, no, 4th isn’t good enough so it don’t matter if DM wears Albion pants every day. Means nothing.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2019, 12:06:29 PM »
With jokanovic, its worth the first few months of last season Fulham were awful, they remained patient and stuck with the coach and got promoted in the end.

As our boards actions and some of our fans expectations show, you dont get allowed a run of bad form at albion, you are deemed not good enough.

Those saying about steve clarke, his son said this morning a section of albion fans hounded him out despite the season before finishing 8th, he said so why on earth did we want him back?

He also said some albion fans had a sense of entitlement, that is sadly how we are perceived by others within football too judging by the reaction (not just fans) and its hard to argue when you sack a manager 4th in the league who until a couple of weeks ago was in the running for the top 2 and had been all season and hasnt been given a chance to turn round a bad run of form.