Author Topic: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.  (Read 14850 times)

KYA

• WBA Coach

Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.
« on: November 29, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
Reading the comments after an excellent 3pts at Swansea where some of our fans seem to be taking lessons from Mark Carney in hyperbole overkill I thought this topic would both suit them and maybe help them count their blessings.
Having followed Albion from the mid-60s I have seen great teams and awful teams in the blue and white stripes but for me the most depressing was the spell under Saunders it didn't last long but after watching great football for most of the previous years watching his Pulis type football see us lose week in week out truly awful signings and selling Bully to our down and out neighbours he must rank as our worst ever manager.

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

Re: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »
I have supported Albion since 1975. I would say Saunders along with the time under Gould. A manager no one wanted which lead to demos and sit ins after games. In the modern era i would say 01.01.15 to 20.11.17 (Pulis era!!)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »
Definitely 85-86. My first experience of relegation, just as I was old enough to start going away on my own  :(
What followed though were 6 or 7 years of madness, travelling the country, watching mostly rubbish, but having the time of my life, culminating in the play off victory of 93.
This is why I have never feared relegation though as my most memorable years were spent in the lower leagues and I know we always boing back  :)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
Was devastated when we went down to the 3rd tier, but the Pardew and Irvine periods were by far the worst considering our position in the food chain.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 11:25:59 AM »
Was devastated when we went down to the 3rd tier, but the Pardew and Irvine periods were by far the worst considering our position in the food chain.

I agree with this. I was a STH in the Buckley/Gould/Little eras and although it was depressing we knew where we were in the food chain. There was not much money about and we had low expectations. With the Pardew/Pulis/Irvine eras there was high expectation, money seemingly available, and we monumentally got it wrong. Easy to blame, not easy to watch, and frankly I am happier now we are in the Championship, but I would like to return one day...... 
MAGA!

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »

When we hit the magical 40 point mark with Pulis one season and the player effectively gave up and went on holiday. I genuinely don't care what division we are in what i want is to be entertained.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:47:07 AM »
Still haven't forgotten about those two defeats to Villa under Pulis...nightmare

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
Most depressing time would have to be when Pulis was in charge of the club. Although I started supporting us back in the '90's, the difference was the hope it could get better.

Under Pulis not also was the football abysmal, it was also that it truly felt like the club and fan base were miles apart in what they wanted for the club; the fans wanted better football and a cup run, the club just wanted to get 40 points and another 12 months of Premier League money. Our support was divided too.

Nearly watching us end up back in what's now league one was bad, but the Pulis era was just depressing.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
Individual event - play offs v Portsmouth@Wembley
Period  - Pulis
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
 Have seen some terrible football at the wrong end of div2 and 3 over the years standing in the freezing cold with rain slanting in at us but good times were still had.  There was a real pride to be had in following the team.....hardcore. Can't remember a time before last year though when i just stopped caring  and the fanbase was never more fragmented.   So bizzarely for all the lower division misery it would be the end of the TP reign into AP.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:12:23 PM by Oldbury24 »

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Sitting on the steps at Wembley in tears after losing to QPR 3-2 by the vastly operated bigmouth Rodney, the plonker.
I was 15 years old.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
Low point for me was just before we appointed Megson in the 1999/2000 season.  We seemed destined to go down to be clawed back into league one and our football had gone from reasonable to dreadful.  however, even in the darkest days there is hope.  Megson came in and we avoided relegation.  Okay, it was on the last day, playing an already promoted team and in the process we relegated a plucky Saddlers team which probably deserved to stop up.  The next season we reached the play-offs, and the season after that was our first automatic promotion season when we eased out the Wolves.  The moral is that its always darkest just before it gets light again...

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
Oddly one of the darkest moments for me was when Harford left us for qpr when we were riding high with one of the most averages sides ever seen. We just seemed to be unbeatable and I really thought we had a chance of promotion that year. Instead he dumped us in a heartbeat when a London club flashed a bit of leg.

We dropped like a stone after that and things were just awful until Sir Gary came and saved the club.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
From the moment Pardew was linked with our manager's job until he left.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
Gould years without doubt

Awful times, awful players

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »
When we went down the old third division i was just into high school and got my first ever season ticket with mates from school. We were awful but still loved those nights up the Hawthorns.

stuvetti

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
1. Standing in a toga at Bristol Rovers when we were relegated to the third division.
2. Getting the train to Newcastle to collect a new car, then drive to Huddersfield in the 3rd division for a match under Bobby Gould. Lose 3-0 and never string more than two passes together all game.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 04:57:46 PM »
Probably the Saunders period for me; he was the worst manager our club has ever had, I’m sure he deliberately tried to ruin WBA, horrible man. However, I can’t say that I’m too chuffed about having a Chinese owner, especially one whose motives are, well, dubious. I have said before that the Club will not prosper with him supposedly at the helm.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
In 65 years of supporting the club, I have had many lows and quite a few highs. But I cannot remember anything worse than watching us beaten twice at Villa Park in a few days, and much as I admired Ben Foster, I will never forgive him for inexplicably losing us the league game. I turned to my daughter and said "that's it they will beat us in the Cup as well now, and what a miserable day that was.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
1967 at Wembley against QPR.
Leading 2-0 at half time and ending up losing 3-2 to a terrible blunder by the ref.
I used to work at Concentric Pressed Products on the Holyhead Road.
Rick Sheppard (goalkeeper) came in on the Monday and showed us, the still red raw stud marks down his chest.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 10:45:07 PM »
Relegation to third tier under Gould... very closely followed by the attritional football for the whole of the Pulis era. As mentioned elsewhere the sole objective was 40 points.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 10:55:12 PM »
I was born in 1976.

First game that I fully remember (pretty sure that I had birthday party prior to this versus Arsenal but have blocked it from recollection) was being thrashed 0-5 at home to Liverpool. That was the 84/85 season. They totally banged us, culminating in Bruce Grobbelaar saving a Derek Statham penalty.

The next lowlight was around 1991/92, the last day of school uniform, after GCSEs were finished, it was tradition to sign each others' school shirts. I still have my shirt that my school friends graffitied with "F*ck off Bobby Gould".

But to the point of the topic... I have to single out the worst ever time as a Baggies fan has been under Tony Pulis. It has to be for the simple reason that it's made me fall out of love with football.

Trying to get the mojo back but it's not happening under the current ownership/management/team.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
Any defeat against the Vile scum from Witton, it really does depress me.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

jonasyoulegend

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »

100%. No sporting low I've ever experienced comes close to losing to Villa, being a Brummie I can count on 1 hand how many Dingles I know. 

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 12:17:55 PM »
Low point for me was just before we appointed Megson in the 1999/2000 season...............

Although there have been plenty of ups and downs supporting the Albion it's probably around this time for me too.

Yes there have been major disappointments such as the FA Cup Semi Final defeat versus Ipswich (aged ten) when I truly believed we were going to win the Cup itself. For me QPR wasn't quite so bad, probably as I was a little older and 1978 had prepared me for it. The appointments, tenures and subsequent footballing desert created by Saunders and Gould take some beating too, as did the defection of our diminutive Argentinian general to the Spuds.

The play off final defeat to Derby left me completely hollow. And although gutted following the FA Cup Semi Final versus Portsmouth life events of the time helped me to put those disappointments into perspective. The utter devastation I felt following that week at the Seal Pen still hangs around my shoulders as well. Meanwhile the less said about the sterility of Pulis followed by the cretinous decision making surrounding the appointments of the Pard' and the self declared best coach in the world the better.

Strangely enough though (and it is strange) the catalyst for my most depressing time as an Albion supporter was the sacking of Denis Smith just ten days or so before the start of the new season. I'd never really taken to the man and would have been quite happy to see the back of him at the end of the previous season. As much as anything it was the timing as it smacked of total and tragically predictable incompetence. Rather than get a new man the club gave him virtually the whole of pre season. It was Daryl Burgess's testimonial at the time, the turn out for his game v Sheffield Wednesday was poor and was perhaps reflective of a sense of apathy. To my mind (rightly or wrongly) the club was dying on it's feet, it was in general decay and no one in charge seemed capable of arresting our decline.

And then we appointed Brian fkn Little. To add context I'd detested him with a passion from his time as a player for them down the road. We lacked the resources Little had enjoyed at both Leicester City and those who shan't be named and I just felt he was a terrible fit. I worked with loads of Vilers at the time and the urine taking over our demise had been immense. To my mind although he'd moved on prior to their greatest success he was synonymous with their 'modernish' era. As such his appointment rubbed my nose in it and merely amplified the gulf which existed between our clubs.

He was also stale, burnt out and oh so fkn boring. In truth Captain Mogadon probably reflected what we had become as a club and I really didn't like what I saw. Little couldn't have motivated a bottle of gas into orbit with a stick of dynamite and for me his sacking was the best thing to have happened since the sacking of Saunders. Frankly I didn't give a sh it who his replacement was going to be, it was all good and they could have brought Alan Buckley back for all I cared so deep had been my earlier despair. I would have blown my top, laughed then shrugged my shoulders as if to say 'well no shock there you dumb b@st@ards'. I just couldn't see a way out of our decline; subscribing to Grorty Dick and realising I wasn't alone probably didn't help my mood either.

And then lo' as to a blast of celestial trumpets did a red knight in shining armour come riding over the brow of a hill. With the sun glistening through his ginger locks he grabbed our great club by the short and curlies to drag it kicking and screaming onto better times. Thank you Sir Gary, thank you to your foot soldiers and of course to Paul Thompson (Merlin)......... COYB and SOTV  8) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqtehtSB0LI
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
[quote author=Jordie1471 link=topic=22618.msg633742#msg633742 date=1543568189

On the other hand maybe he actually did me a favour though. He opened my eyes to how utterly uncompetitive and essentially pointless the English Premiership really is.
[/quote]

You know what, I certainly think our entire time in the Premiership was an utterly depressing period in my Baggies life and now we are winning again on a fairly regular basis playing passable reasonably entertaining football I truly have no desire to go back to watching us cling on to surviving season in and season out.
Bit of a 'Schrödinger's cat' paradoxical scenario TBH   
(Thought I'd chuck one in for the philosophers on here)  :P
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 12:21:08 PM »
[quote author=Jordie1471 link=topic=22618.msg633742#msg633742 date=1543568189

On the other hand maybe he actually did me a favour though. He opened my eyes to how utterly uncompetitive and essentially pointless the English Premiership really is.

You know what, I certainly think our entire time in the Premiership was an utterly depressing period in my Baggies life and now we are winning again on a fairly regular basis playing passable reasonably entertaining football I truly have no desire to go back to watching us cling on to surviving season in and season out.
Bit of a 'Schrödinger's cat' paradoxical scenario TBH   
(Thought I'd chuck one in for the philosophers on here)  :P

B@ll@x, you watch The Big Bang Theory  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »

This is a given losing to them especially when I was younger used to leave me in a foul and antagonistic mood.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
Mid 70's (1977?) went to vile park,
got kicked out of ground for giving Peter Withe the "anchor" sign when he missed a sitter early doors (over zealous policing was prevalent back then).
I sat outside on the steps of the old witton end listening to the game which we lost heavily (4-0 I think) That was a dark day indeed !!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 12:55:23 PM »
Most depressing time should have been 85/86 season, where I was a season ticket holder and went to most of the away games. We were utterly dire, but for some masochistic reason I have some great memories of our support that year, anyone who was at Anfield for the 4-1 defeat will know what I mean.

Any defeat by Vile normally leaves me depressed for days, but the two in a week under Pullis nearly finished me off, because it was so obvious that a very poor Vile side were there for the taking, and a more adventurous manager as opposed to ‘safety first’ Pullis would have given us a week to remember.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »
B@ll@x, you watch The Big Bang Theory  ;D  ;) .
Bazinga!!!!
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
Been going up since 1993, even though there’s probably been worse times then this in that period, the worst time for me personally by far was the last year or so of the pulis era. I’d lost complete interest in Albion, I didn’t go to the game anymore. I really didn’t care. Seeing us win lose or draw is one thing but not actually caring is another. Soon as he went I started going back up.

So to cut a long story short the Tony pulis era by far

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2018, 01:16:45 PM »
The 78 and 82 FA Cup semi-final defeats. I still haven't got over them.

Handing the vile the 1st division title at their place in 81 when we technically still had an outside chance ourselves. Anyone who doesn't know they beat us 1- 0 in the last couple of minutes (following an error from Batson) after we'd played them off the park. Me and hundreds of others got in at the Witton End for nothing when police were forced to open the gates due to crowd pressure. My vile mates told me the same happened outside the Holte just after kick-off.

Oh, and the Pulis era.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »
The Pulis era made me ashamed of our club.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 06:51:52 PM »
The Pulis era made me ashamed of our club.

It was the era that led us to Pulis that ashamed me.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 06:52:10 PM »
I have been through the Howe, Saunders, Buckley Little, Gould, Smith and Irvine eras (bloody hell we've had a lot of c!!p managers) but by far the worst for me as got to be Pulis he ruined the club and for the first time in over 50 years I nearly stopped going the day he went I had a party!

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2018, 08:13:03 PM »
Had to be under Tony Pulis. The just glad to be here and survive culture killed it for me. No ambition whatsoever.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2018, 08:46:24 PM »
Had to be under Tony Pulis. The just glad to be here and survive culture killed it for me. No ambition whatsoever.

I think thats what it will be if we go back up, its not just been under Pulis where that was the aim, he was brought in as a result of the cheap options worrying Peace. After a time though you keep doing it that way you will go down regardless of who is in charge.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2018, 10:55:44 PM »
I'm too young to remember terrible times but I really don't think the Pulis era was that bad.
On his day the football could be awful, but most of the time it wasn't as boring as people make out - and it was fun to be competitive against some of the best teams in the world.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »
Standing in the pi$$ing rain at a bus stop in 1986 staring at the results in the old "pink" realising we were down.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
Being relegated in 1973, i had always known us to be a top side. It was devastating. Also the 0-1 defeat to Leicester in the 1969 semi final a year after we had won the cup.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
Amazing how many fans are falling back in love with being a fan this season. As a cabby I get to chat footy with fans of lots of clubs, and happily tell them that in a perfect world Albion would win the league this year and say actually we don’t want promotion. Being also rans in the greed league does not appeals at all.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2018, 04:51:50 PM »
When we went down the old third division i was just into high school and got my first ever season ticket with mates from school. We were awful but still loved those nights up the Hawthorns.

This sums it up for me too.   I have some great memories from the Championship, 1st, 2nd and even 3rd Division.  Great players don’t always make for great memories.  The only time I ever got to the point of thinking “why do I bother?” was under Pulis.  I actually got to the stage of not even checking our results....

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »
I took my time thinking this question over till i came to this conclusion
The signing of Irwin has our manager. My 1st thought was "Who the f is he" to this day i wish i had never haired is name.
By a country mile the worst man to manage our club.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 10:33:04 AM »
I'm too young to remember terrible times but I really don't think the Pulis era was that bad.
On his day the football could be awful, but most of the time it wasn't as boring as people make out - and it was fun to be competitive against some of the best teams in the world.

I appreciate your age Argo, but Pulis really was that bad. He sucked the life out of any game, had no ambition up front and occasionally got a good result against a decent team. A couple of seasons ago we were comfortably safe with 12 games to go, what happened then is an absolute disgrace.......all down to the anti christ.
I was a STH for all of the Buckley/Gould etc and whilst we were on the bones of our a**e there was a sense of ownership around the club. We were all in it together and we knew it.
I will admit to being pro Pulis for quite some time but I am so pleased he will never darken our doorstep again. I think we got the occasional lucky result against some of the top teams because they lost the will to live playing against us.......
MAGA!

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 12:55:59 PM »
Without doubt the 11 straight defeats under the dreadful Alan Buckley including the 0-3 loss at home to Wolves was my worst time although the Don Howe relegation season in the early 70's and the Talbot and Gould regimes still haunt me too.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 05:04:17 PM »
There've been many grim times. And you'd think going down to the old third division would be the worst of them.

And it was until Pulis came on the scene. THE WORST for me.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 05:07:45 PM »
The recruitment during the summer of Alan Irvine's time in charge. That summer was a disaster and put the club many steps back.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
Forgot to mention, the Derby play-off defeat - I remember the journey home feeling bad.
Then the Cardiff equaliser to make it 3-3 under Pepe Mel. I remember I felt ecstatic in the BRE then it turned quickly to agony.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 09:51:49 PM »
Individual game. Pompey FA Cup defeat. Should have won it, would have won the Cup if we did. Massive missed chance that was.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 10:09:29 PM »
That last 10 minutes against Brentford.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »
I mentioned the Tony pulis era earlier on but another time that sticks out is the double the dingles did over us in 95/96 I think it was. Iwan Roberts hat trick , I was a young lad at the time going to school in darlaston so I got a pretty hard time over it.

For the amount of times we’ve turned them over though I do think it must be horrible being them  ;D

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 09:23:13 AM »
Individual game vs QPR FA Cup semi final 1982. A match on paper we should've won. We were awful on the day and I cried my eyes out I really thought I was going to see Albion in my first cup final and in those days the FA Cup was HUGGGGGEEE!

I'm still bloody waiting.  :'(

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
Mine will be at 9.45pm this Friday if we lose. ???

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
The first two that come to mind are the Derby play off final and Pompey FA Cup.

Genuinely went to both of those games believing we would win the game, came away very depressed when we didn't. As someone above mentioned, that was probably our best chance at winning the FA cup in a long time.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:35 PM »
Any game we lose, any game we draw from a winning position, any game against the dingles the vile or Tottenham divers, we fail to win by 2 clear goals. Ain’t life a misery?

yorkshire baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2018, 05:58:41 AM »
The Pulis era without a doubt the worst time for me.
I started following Albion regularly in 1974. Had a season ticket for 25 years until moving away but still made regular trips to the hawthorns.
The only time I have ever said no more was after the 0.0 with Villa the season they got relegated. Probably the worst game of football I have ever seen. This was on the back of other awful performances. Pulis said after the Villa game well thats another point. We had just plsyed by far the worst team in the division at home and failed to register a single shot.
That was it for me. I refused to go to any more games until he was no longer involved. The day he was sacked I was actually elated thinking that things could only look up now....Oh dear...I continued my boycott in disbelief at the appointment of his replacement.
Now delighted to be able to attend all Saturday home games and enjoying it!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2018, 07:45:43 AM »
Standing on the South Bank at Molineux in 1963 watching us thumped 7-0, and believe me it could have been double figures. This was a re-arranged match after the original game was abandoned.
I was also at the original game on Boxing Day when a blizzard caused the abandonment at half-time with us 2 down. To think I went home happy that day!!! 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

allenkevanastle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
As some of you may note by my user-name I've been watching for a long time. Good posts here and I agree with many of them, especially having walked away from Wembley 4 times as losers. The lowest point, however, has to be watching us lose to Torquay United at Plainmoor in the 3rd tier (called League 2 for some reason). Bobby Gould was manager, our football was dreadful and we had some old timers, Graham Roberts was one, just there to pick up the money for their pension. The lowest we could sink - hopefully, ever.
And then Pullis was appointed and for the 1st time in my life I began to lose interest, not completely because that won't happen, but I lost all interest in coming to watch. And then Pardew. For goodness sake. Big Dave has faults and failings, lower division I know but isn't life better?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »
The years after we were spoilt by the teams of the 70's and early 80's by God we fell a long way and we probably never get back to that level. Watching drivel severed up By Saunders, Gould, Buckley, Pulis and Pardew with a little Ray of sunshine from Ossie and Tony.

California Dreaming

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »
Reading this thread has dredged up some horrible memories, Twerton, semi-final defeats, Ron Effing Saunders....but for me it has to be the Pulis era or more specifically May 15th 2016. Final match of the season, nothing to play for and he sets us up to get a home draw against Liverpool. I left that match knowing that he would never change his approach under any circumstances and I walked away from the game with the sad knowledge that I wouldn't be renewing my long held season ticket.

2 years away but back now and loving it again.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »
For me, genuinely it was the Pulis/Pardew 2 year period. It put my love of the game in a coma. First time ever i stopped even checking the score.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

deejay

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2018, 01:44:56 AM »
First went January 1976
Fell big time for the baggies
They didn't take long to hurt me
Giles resigning aws the first kick in the teeth
Then the Ipswich semi final I cried
Fatkinson selling everyone Johnston , Martin , Cantello , Cunningham
Fatkinson joining Man U and taking Robson and Moses with him
Ron Saunders just awful
Bobby Gould absolute joke of a manager I went to Bristol Rovers that day Didn't speak all the way home I just to numbed
Nothing really bothers me now I get more upset if I see Villa win a game
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:51:35 AM by deejay »
Hoult,Mulligan,Statham,Brown,Robertson,Wile,Robson,Cunningham,Regis,Giles,Johnston. I HATE VILLA MORE THAN YOU

http://david3525.fotopic.net            http://jacksgallery.fotopic.net

deejay

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2018, 01:52:49 AM »
Actually reading through yeah Pulis upset me every-time He put a team out
Hoult,Mulligan,Statham,Brown,Robertson,Wile,Robson,Cunningham,Regis,Giles,Johnston. I HATE VILLA MORE THAN YOU

http://david3525.fotopic.net            http://jacksgallery.fotopic.net

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2018, 05:23:24 AM »
First went January 1976
Ron Saunders just awful
Bobby Gould absolute joke of a manager I went to Bristol Rovers that day Didn't speak all the way home I just to numbed
We must be twins. However, how sweet was our equaliser last night. I scared the bejesus out the locals here in Florida. I’m still celebrating.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2018, 07:27:26 AM »
First went January 1976
Ron Saunders just awful
That's about right but swap vile for the dog heads

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »
i was devastated for days after we lost at Seal Park a couple of years ago mid-week.
Foster had a nightmare right at the end and spilled the ball, and then pulled someone down for a pen right at the end, for us to lose 2-1. i walked back to the car numb and was so down for days...
We lost 1-0 in the cup days later, but that league game really hurt.

FA Cup Semi, Derby Play off come close...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Sadly, Its now for me.
Whilst I endured and really hated the Saunders, Gould era, its honestly the Pulis era that broke me as a Baggies fan & since then I simply don’t feel any enthusiasm for the club anymore.
Its a really, really difficult thing to try to explain, but its more the memory of being in love with the the club that I feel, rather than actually Being in love with it anymore.
I have not been to a live game for a while & don’t want to anymore. Despite having nowtv, I just don’t want to watch them on tv either. I still tend to look at the results and sometimes browse the match threads on the bbc sports page, but its honestly just ‘gone’

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:35:48 PM by Manc Baggie »