Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 363355 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1525 on: June 04, 2019, 08:05:56 PM »
It's not £5m, it's £10m. And reading that article part of it was the club appreciating his behaviour.

So we could have got £15m but instead we will get £10m.  So even worst case of thinking is that we paid £5m for his services last year.  Doesn't seem that unreasonable.

£10m for J-rod seems about right.

Again, common sense is and a calm head is a refreshing change. He'll be 30 by the time the season starts.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1526 on: June 04, 2019, 08:06:17 PM »
10m is fine, highest last summer was 16 - he’s now a year older, a year less on his contract and he didn’t particularly light up the division last year.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1527 on: June 04, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »
When you look into it, not as bad.

We are also safeguarding if we don't go up, parachute payments plummet next year so we receive an extra £5m.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1528 on: June 04, 2019, 08:46:58 PM »
It's not £5m, it's £10m. And reading that article part of it was the club appreciating his behaviour.

So we could have got £15m but instead we will get £10m.  So even worst case of thinking is that we paid £5m for his services last year.  Doesn't seem that unreasonable.

£10m for J-rod seems about right.

I still think these deals are wages related.
Not sure how much he's got left on his contract, but I assume the £5/10 million is to recover the amortisation value left on the books.
I imagine JRod is one of our high earners, so the club  would be happy to recover the remaining amortisation figure just to get the wage bill down, if he's not on a flex down agreement.
On the other hand, it could be a conditional flex down agreement, where we recover our amortisation figure, but give him an opportunity to negotiate a higher value contract elsewhere. If there are no takers, he would see out his contract with us on a lower wage.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1529 on: June 04, 2019, 09:16:31 PM »
Thats Dowling interview makes sense now. How easy he was with when he said “we agreed to give it a shot together”. He was hinting at this clause.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1530 on: June 04, 2019, 09:24:58 PM »
We really need to get better at selling players at the right time. We have lost millions by holding on to players to long.

Agreed. Rondon, Evans and now Rodriguez. Fat lot of good keeping hold of them has done. We obviously lack confidence in our recruitment department to replace them.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1531 on: June 04, 2019, 09:30:58 PM »
If Rondon goes for £16.5m we’ve done fine with him.   If J-Rod goes for £10m (£5m plus £5m) then we’ve also done ok out of him. His goals nearly got us up.

Evans cost us £6m and we sold him for £3m. Not that bad an outcome. And he would never have joined us without such a relegation clause

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1532 on: June 04, 2019, 09:31:52 PM »
Agreed. Rondon, Evans and now Rodriguez. Fat lot of good keeping hold of them has done. We obviously lack confidence in our recruitment department to replace them.

We didn't have a recruitment department this time last year.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1533 on: June 04, 2019, 09:33:44 PM »
We gambled... but then we didn't really back it up.  Not pushing the boat out in the summer or January.  not having a strategy and not replacing Moore.  Relying on a coach with zero experioence to guide us into and through the playoffs.  Really, they've lost out on £10m, to save a much smaller amount.  None of it makes any sense.  No joined up thinking.

How have we “lost out on £10m”? Had we sold him last summer how much of the alleged £15m would we have had to pay out to buy a replacement striker capable of scoring 22 goals?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1534 on: June 04, 2019, 09:48:49 PM »
How have we “lost out on £10m”? Had we sold him last summer how much of the alleged £15m would we have had to pay out to buy a replacement striker capable of scoring 22 goals?

When you consider 8 of those goals were penalties then £15m should have been more than enough. I reckon we could have got both Maupay and Woods for that money from Brentford. They might have even thrown in Dean Smith. :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1535 on: June 04, 2019, 10:19:00 PM »
When you consider 8 of those goals were penalties then £15m should have been more than enough. I reckon we could have got both Maupay and Woods for that money from Brentford. They might have even thrown in Dean Smith. :D

Oh - do penalties not count? 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Maupay was a relative unknown and would have underwhelmed our fan base if he’d been bought at that stage to replace J-Rod!  Dack on the other hand....

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1536 on: June 04, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »
Harsh reality is its probably what he is worth.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1537 on: June 04, 2019, 10:58:26 PM »
at that price it's a small fee to pay for a back up player. he'd struggle at premiership level in my opinion.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1538 on: June 04, 2019, 11:07:43 PM »
The article states it’s 5million rising to 10million after 12months, so the clause is actually 10mil just in 2 instalments. 10mil is about right for him to be honest, he’s 29 now.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1539 on: June 05, 2019, 02:09:22 AM »
10m doesn't buy much these days, negotiating a sell off clause that is less than what we paid for him is an absolute shambles.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1540 on: June 05, 2019, 06:41:42 AM »
I think those of you who think we might of sold Rodriguez for significantly more than the £12m we paid for him are being a tad optimistic. Last season would have been the absolute peak of his value, 28 just  played plenty of Premier League minutes and 3 years left on his contract. Now he is 29 just completed a season in the Championship and has just 2 years left on his contract. £10m is about right.

At £5m he is a bargain at £10m there are probably better ways to spend the money but luckily for us Premier League clubs aren't particularly smart in how they spend money although there is evidence they are getting smarter.

The club is making a profit on the deal in that he is actually on the books at £6m.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1541 on: June 05, 2019, 07:37:58 AM »
10m doesn't buy much these days, negotiating a sell off clause that is less than what we paid for him is an absolute shambles.
of cause it’s not it’s logical and done by most clubs in the event of relegation, if the club goes down it works in the players favour to get a move away, we aren’t the first club to do it and won’t be the last, no doubt the release clause factors in things like  depreciation of the contract value, the players age, the transfer fee paid across the duration of the contract and more, I’m sure half the disgust on this thread is false just to fit the agenda of beating the board at every opportunity.
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1542 on: June 05, 2019, 09:01:11 AM »
I think some fans are overreacting just because of how the stories broke.

If this story hadn't broke and Jay was sold for 10million to Burnley, not many of us would bat to much of an eye lid. 10 million for a 29 year old who quite a large part of the fan base have criticised his performances last season, a player who 'only scores penalties.'

Think it's just how its structured that a few people are now moaning about.

Let's be honest, we would all have expected him to be sold for around the 10-12million pound mark anyway.

Just out of curiosity, whats the situation if a couple of clubs come in for him, would we be able to sell him for more or is it literally a '10' million release clause as such.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1543 on: June 05, 2019, 09:12:28 AM »
I think some fans are overreacting just because of how the stories broke.

If this story hadn't broke and Jay was sold for 10million to Burnley, not many of us would bat to much of an eye lid. 10 million for a 29 year old who quite a large part of the fan base have criticised his performances last season, a player who 'only scores penalties.'

Think it's just how its structured that a few people are now moaning about.

Let's be honest, we would all have expected him to be sold for around the 10-12million pound mark anyway.

Just out of curiosity, whats the situation if a couple of clubs come in for him, would we be able to sell him for more or is it literally a '10' million release clause as such.
it would make no sense at all for anyone to bid more than the clause as once a club meets it they are allowed to talk to the player.
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1544 on: June 05, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
How have we “lost out on £10m”?

What exactly does Percy say:

Jay Rodriguez could leave West Bromwich Albion this summer for just £5 million due to a release clause inserted last year.

Rodriguez is available for the cut-price fee, which will rise to £10m after 12 months, after striking an agreement with the Championship club last summer.

He reports that Jrod has a £5m release clause.  That is clear.  Other transfer fees are not reported as £10m, when its £10m this year and £10m next year and £5m the year after.  They're reported as a £25m fee.

He is then talking about the fee and that it would rise to £10m after 12 months.  Does this mean the fee will rise to £10m if Jrod stays this summer and is sold in summer 2020?  Or, does it mean the transfer fee is £10m paid in 2 instalments?  Or does it mean that the 2nd instalment is based on certain criteria, appearances, the buying club not being relegated, etc.  There is no clarity here.

We received a £16m offer for Jrod last summer.  I've read Percy's article and I understand we are guaranteed £5m if Jrod is sold this summer.  Therefore we are down £11m, after a 22-goal season, where Jrod was previously perceived to ba a 'injury risk', but he's over that label now (as he started 47 games and was rested for 1 game).

Had we sold him last summer how much of the alleged £15m would we have had to pay out to buy a replacement striker capable of scoring 22 goals?

Note:  We will still have to replace him this summer.  How much of the alleged £5m will we have to pay to buy a replacement striker capable of scoring 22 goals?  Conclusion, we will have £11m less to invest in a replacement.

I don't think Jrod particularly impressed last season (or the season before).  But only having £5m to replace those 22 goals will be very difficult.  OK, 8 were penalties... but right now who are we retaining that can take a penalty?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:34:08 AM by OldburyWBA »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1545 on: June 05, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »
A £10m fee, however it is paid, is a £10m fee.  Nearly all transfer fees are paid in installments. My interpretation is that the extra £5m is guaranteed, not conditional.  Is it simply a way of telling interested clubs that the fee is £10m and that the method of payment is non-negotiable,  so that the norm of 1/3 up front, 1/3 a year later and 1/3 in 2 years time is not an option?

Whoever we buy as a replacement would typically be bought on deferred payment terms as well, and it is easy to “factor” confirmed transfer fees to smooth cash flow.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1546 on: June 05, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
Open question... So why is it being talked about as a £5m fee?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1547 on: June 05, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »

Because it creates a story for the papers to run with, as I said earlier you will probably find 90% of deals nowadays are done in stages.

It's just that this one looks appealing and probably a way of his agent drumming up some interest in him from premier league clubs as it sounds like a bargain.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1548 on: June 05, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »

Ok, but it is unusual to report it this way.  e.g. Berahino was reported as a £21m deal.  Not a £5m deal with loads of unlikely clauses that may bump it up.

The first time I read the Percy quote 'Rodriguez is available for the cut-price fee, which will rise to £10m after 12 months' I thought it meant you could buy him for £5m this summer or £10m next summer.  It's not clear.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 04:00:40 PM by OldburyWBA »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1549 on: June 05, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
Ok, but it is unusual to report it this way.  e.g. Berahino was reported as a £21m deal.  Not a £5m deal with loads of unlikely clauses that may bump it up.

The first time I read the Percy quote 'Rodriguez is available for the cut-price fee, which will rise to £10m after 12 months' I thought it meant you could buy him for £5m this summer or £10m next summer.  It's not clear.

As Rodriguez would be a year older and a year closer to contract expiry, surely it would have been £10m this summer and £5m next summer?

The Berahino deal was totally different, as it had all kinds of conditional add-ons based on how Tottenham performed.  There’s a massive difference between a deferred payment and a conditional add-on.  I think it’s the use of the word “add-on” in one of the reports which has caused the confusion.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 04:01:03 PM by OldburyWBA »