Author Topic: Andi Weimann signs on loan official  (Read 10325 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Andi Weimann signs on loan official
« on: January 15, 2024, 05:23:19 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/news/albion-add-austrian-forward-andi-weimann-ranks-loan

Albion have completed the signing of Andreas Weimann on loan from Bristol City for the remainder of the 2023/24 Sky Bet Championship campaign.

The Austria international attacker, who has been capped 21 times by his nation, arrives at The Hawthorns with a wealth of experience having made over 300 appearances in the second tier for four clubs.

Weimann, who also has 113 Premier League games to his name, has been handed the number 17 shirt.

‘Andi’ is excited to arrive at The Hawthorns and hopes his experience can help the team.

Head Coach Carlos Corberán added: “Andi has proven himself to be an excellent Championship player for many years, and we are pleased to have him with us.

“He adds quality and experience to our attacking options and is a welcome addition to the group.

“He is fit and ready to play which is also important. We’re looking forward to working with Andi and I’m confident he will make a positive contribution during his time here.”
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 05:35:36 PM by OldburyWBA »

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Weimann signs on loan official
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 05:32:33 PM »
We do need re-inforcements in that department and I have faith that he'll be able to make a good contribution when called upon. Welcome to the club  :)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 05:34:35 PM »
I think he'll chip in with a few goals from the bench and offer maybe something different as he's generally done well against us over the years.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 05:37:07 PM »
I think he'll chip in with a few goals from the bench and offer maybe something different as he's generally done well against us over the years.

I wish him well but the stats this season aren't good. 20 games with 1 goal and 1 assist. When/if the injuries kick in like last season we may need everyone we can get and hopefully Carlos can get a tune out of him though.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 05:40:06 PM »
I wish him well but the stats this season aren't good. 20 games with 1 goal and 1 assist. When/if the injuries kick in like last season we may need everyone we can get and hopefully Carlos can get a tune out of him though.

Yeah,thats not good, just looking on Transfermarkt and he seems to have been playing in midfield for some reason, always been a striker to me

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/andreas-weimann/leistungsdaten/spieler/49693

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Re: Andi Weimann signs on loan official
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 05:47:33 PM »
He’ll probably be better than reach but he’s not a goal scorer. One outlier of a season where he scored more than 10). Par for him in the remaining games is probably 2-3 goals, any more and he’s out performing his usual return in that respect.

If Dike and BTA can get our goals we don’t necessarily need that from him though and he strikes me as a player who will at least put the work in for the benefit of the team.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 05:56:06 PM »
1 goal 1n 19 this season. a 22 year old with potential for a 32 year old journeyman, absolutely great bit of business that
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 06:07:55 PM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 06:04:44 PM »
Welcome to the club fella!

Hope the lad can bring something to the team

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 06:10:44 PM »
1 goal 1n 19 this season. a 22 year old with potential for a 32 year old journeyman, absolutely great bit of business that

Proper Albion

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 06:11:48 PM »
TGH can have as much potential as you like, we weren’t going to get any on the pitch benefit from him !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 06:15:19 PM »
Let's hope he's more use than Albrighton was

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 06:16:12 PM »

I trust the manager's judgment and I am not concerned about his age as we have only signed him on loan until the summer.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 06:19:49 PM »
It may come as a surprise but Weimanns stats are slightly better than TGH in terms of goals/ games ratio
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 06:22:52 PM »
I reckon he'll prove more useful than Sarmiento over the course of the loan.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2024, 06:23:52 PM »
Bristol City forum has a Andi Weimann appreciation thread up with their fans thanking him for always giving 100%, being a great player for them, scoring some great goals etc. Nothing but messages praising him as a top professional with their fans sad to see him go. I take all of that as a good sign.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2024, 06:30:37 PM »
I’ve nothing against his signing short term to help us out while we have players injured I just we haven’t had our pants pulled down regarding the TGH situation

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2024, 07:22:43 PM »
I trust the manager's judgment and I am not concerned about his age as we have only signed him on loan until the summer.

This is the key for me, on loan until the summer. So it’s not another signing of a past it player on a lengthy contract. Not sure how it will pan out but it’s fairly low risk in my view.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2024, 07:46:24 PM »
Bristol City forum has a Andi Weimann appreciation thread up with their fans thanking him for always giving 100%, being a great player for them, scoring some great goals etc. Nothing but messages praising him as a top professional with their fans sad to see him go. I take all of that as a good sign.

I'd agree on the surface but on their twitter account they are also saying his legs have gone (he's 32 not much he can od it about that) ,offers less as a player than 3 years ago and isn't the player he used to be.

I'm just grateful he's not on an 18 month deal.

All that aside, welcome to the club and i hope you score buckets.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2024, 08:06:57 PM »

Yes, he is meant to have a very good attitude which is good - and the fact it's only 6 months is good for us. I also heard the Bristol fans saying that his pace/form had dropped in the past year which is understandable given his age.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2024, 08:10:02 PM »
Pretty skeptical he’ll add much, there’s a reason Bristol City are getting rid and barely play him. Our track record of getting anything out of these players on the downswing of their career is also very poor.

On the plus side at least it’s only on loan, and he will surely be a better attacker than Reach is.

Still as a wider thing going forward our recruitment remains something sorely needing an overhaul. It seems part of our TGH sale will be used here in which case short termism strikes again
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 08:21:50 PM by Dan »

baggiecarl

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2024, 09:23:49 PM »
Let's hope he's more use than Albrighton was
hope is all we have got ,with this shambolic recruitment team.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2024, 11:07:21 PM »
It absolutely smacks of Albrighton mark 2

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2024, 12:02:46 AM »

But 80% cheaper so less expectation. Let’s see.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2024, 08:12:37 AM »
I think Albrighton struggled with the amount of games we had in a short time in this league , at least Weimann knows all about it .
Quietly confident this will work out well .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2024, 09:45:54 AM »

He's always struck me as an intelligent player who exploits space well both for himself and those around him. Like Albrighton his best days are behind him but that doesn't mean he can't contribute more effectively.

Unlike Albrighton he'll be under no illusions of what the Championship holds in store. I honestly believe Albrighton underestimated the number of games in short spells and the workload he'd be facing.

That's not just on the player but it reflects on our Stalking and Monitoring Departments who presumably thought his experience would prove invaluable while underestimating his physical decline.

Probably wrong but I expect Weimann will largely be used as a sub with an eye to using his experience, positional intelligence and Championship savvy to pick up loose balls in open spaces late in games. That's the positive slant.

This is not an ideal move by the club and for many will smack of short termism. But we are where we are with cash flow etc. and may have difficulty attracting more inspiring signings based on finance and potential game time.

I'm a little underwhelmed in all honesty but he may prove useful between now and the end of the season. At least we're not tied in long term. My disappointment is with those who've run our club so poorly previously and not the player.

This will be compounded if we lose any of our better players and fail to bring in further signings. In the meantime it's a welcome to Andi Weimann from me. COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.