Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2363193 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #5825 on: May 13, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »
If we don't go up this year, I struggle to see us going up with Lai as chairman.

He doesn't have the knowledge of football, and keeps appointing men with no clue how to run a football club - Williams, Jenkins, etc.

We have no long term vision, and he seems caught between a rock and a hard place. He can't sell the club because he'll lose money, but he can't keep running it because he'll keep losing money.

I think we're in for a bumpy ride, and we could go the way of Bolton or Coventry if things are really badly run.

Seriously?

GL has allegedly paid between £150 & £200 million for WBA, & he's just going to let that dwindle to nothing?

Next season, (assuming we don't get promoted) our parachute payment is allegedly around £7.5 million less than this season.
You would assume that means reducing the wage bill by a similar amount. On the other hand, I've read today, that Rondon has a £16.5 million release clause in his contract, if we can get that, it would be possible to retain all of our players on the same level of wages as they are now.
I  don't think next season is going to be a major financial problem to us, however, we have lost Richard Garlick, who was mainly responsible for sorting out contracts, & Simon Carrington who also was a major player in the finance department. I'm not sure what calibre of exec we've now got in those roles.
I believe it would be wrong to say that Mark Jenkins doesn't know how to run a football club. I've never met him. but those who have say he tends to be rather abrupt & offhand. I'm not sure he's a great people person, but I do think he's a good financial man.
Like Jeremy Peace, I would say he is risk averse, so he's more likely than not to take the safe option, but I certainly don't see us taking the gambles that have left Coventry & Bolton in their current predicaments
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5826 on: May 13, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »

Seriously?

GL has allegedly paid between £150 & £200 million for WBA, & he's just going to let that dwindle to nothing?

Next season, (assuming we don't get promoted) our parachute payment is allegedly around £7.5 million less than this season.
You would assume that means reducing the wage bill by a similar amount. On the other hand, I've read today, that Rondon has a £16.5 million release clause in his contract, if we can get that, it would be possible to retain all of our players on the same level of wages as they are now.
I  don't think next season is going to be a major financial problem to us, however, we have lost Richard Garlick, who was mainly responsible for sorting out contracts, & Simon Carrington who also was a major player in the finance department. I'm not sure what calibre of exec we've now got in those roles.
I believe it would be wrong to say that Mark Jenkins doesn't know how to run a football club. I've never met him. but those who have say he tends to be rather abrupt & offhand. I'm not sure he's a great people person, but I do think he's a good financial man.
Like Jeremy Peace, I would say he is risk averse, so he's more likely than not to take the safe option, but I certainly don't see us taking the gambles that have left Coventry & Bolton in their current predicaments

would you want to retain players that have failed us 2 seasons in a row ?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5827 on: May 13, 2019, 05:07:06 PM »
would you want to retain players that have failed us 2 seasons in a row ?

Perhaps I should have said there will be no financial need to sell players.

I don't think we will need to have a significant reduction in our wage bill next season
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5828 on: May 15, 2019, 12:31:26 AM »
He should hopefully be on a plane back to Birmingham and his first decision should be to sack Jenkins

You have a run a threadbare squad all season, relied on freebies and short term loans and gambled with our future.

You failed. Your gamble did not pay off.

Now **** off
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5829 on: May 15, 2019, 12:34:16 AM »
He should hopefully be on a plane back to Birmingham and his first decision should be to sack Jenkins

You have a run a threadbare squad all season, relied on freebies and short term loans and gambled with our future.

You failed. Your gamble did not pay off.

Now **** off
Quick enough to sack Williams and Goodman so can only hope , take Dowling with him too.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5830 on: May 15, 2019, 12:42:33 AM »
Someone should tell me what Dowling does

Professional quiff waver

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5831 on: May 16, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »
I read on facebook that Lai would be able to get cash out of China again come september, anyone seen this and if so, can you explain the logic please.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5832 on: May 16, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »
If you only have one business venture outside China the government put a three year ban on any money being invested in it.
It won't make any difference until the January window though even if he invests.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5833 on: May 16, 2019, 03:44:10 PM »
If you only have one business venture outside China the government put a three year ban on any money being invested in it.
It won't make any difference until the January window though even if he invests.
The club could take a short term loan based upon this though surely. (obv, assuming he sanctions it)
Albion Family !!!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5834 on: May 16, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
Was his intention ever to put any money in though? It was said when he brought it that the same model of being self sufficient would be kept but obviously that could change with now being in the Championship as we are no good for him in this league

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5835 on: May 16, 2019, 04:25:03 PM »
Was his intention ever to put any money in though? It was said when he brought it that the same model of being self sufficient would be kept but obviously that could change with now being in the Championship as we are no good for him in this league

My question was raised as I was wondering (that once the embargo no longer applied), if he would be prepared to invest to achieve the prem, ie ditching the self financing model
Albion Family !!!

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5836 on: May 16, 2019, 04:42:30 PM »
I can't see him selling up, as it would be deemed as failure back in China, which is dishonorable in their society. He's lumbered with a 'Sows Ear' that he can't sell as a 'Silk Purse'. If he throws money at it to try and achieve promotion, will he see a return in his investment?? Highly unlikely. He overpaid in the first place. JP was laughing his socks off all the way to the bank. Lai has been royally screwed over.

baggiecarl

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5837 on: May 16, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »
Lai has been royally screwed by the 'Bald one" but unfortunately  so have the Albion

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5838 on: May 16, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »
I expect he will inject some cash as soon as is possible under Chinese governance. He's not got much choice, we need to be in the Premier League for him to get a return on his investment and save face.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5839 on: May 16, 2019, 08:11:16 PM »
I expect he will inject some cash as soon as is possible under Chinese governance. He's not got much choice, we need to be in the Premier League for him to get a return on his investment and save face.
One of the things that eastern Asians do not want to be seen doing is "losing face".

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5840 on: May 16, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »

He hasn't got any cash, he needed a loan to buy the club and hasn't put a penny in since. His lack of investment is nothing to do with Chinese governance, else FOSUN wouldn't be busy spending money at Wolves like confetti. Our owner is small time. Sold out by JP. Next season will be another case of trying to use the parachute payments to fund a promotion push. I expect we will have a similar budget to this years as selling Rondon and anybody else will provide a bit of cash. I've completely given up on the owner. Doubt we will see him even turn up at the Hawthorns unless we go up and have a glamour game.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5841 on: May 16, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
The longer we remain down here the further away from  any chance of recouping his money he becomes. He must act this season.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5842 on: May 16, 2019, 08:38:22 PM »
He hasn't got any cash, he needed a loan to buy the club and hasn't put a penny in since. His lack of investment is nothing to do with Chinese governance, else FOSUN wouldn't be busy spending money at Wolves like confetti. Our owner is small time. Sold out by JP. Next season will be another case of trying to use the parachute payments to fund a promotion push. I expect we will have a similar budget to this years as selling Rondon and anybody else will provide a bit of cash. I've completely given up on the owner. Doubt we will see him even turn up at the Hawthorns unless we go up and have a glamour game.

Another one who doesn't understand Chinese finance. FOSUN have huge holdings outside China and can spend that money freely.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5843 on: May 16, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »

Another one who doesn't understand Chinese finance. FOSUN have huge holdings outside China and can spend that money freely.

It's a good job we have you then to educate us all.

World Bank economist and professor of Chinese finance and the finder of any spurious website link to support poor little Lai and his inability to spend his billions on us.

Accept it you don't know anymore than anybody else about Lai's finances, yet you defend him and his tenure to the hilt.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5844 on: May 16, 2019, 11:37:14 PM »
I can't see him selling up, as it would be deemed as failure back in China, which is dishonorable in their society. He's lumbered with a 'Sows Ear' that he can't sell as a 'Silk Purse'. If he throws money at it to try and achieve promotion, will he see a return in his investment?? Highly unlikely. He overpaid in the first place. JP was laughing his socks off all the way to the bank. Lai has been royally screwed over.

He didn’t “overpay” in the first place.  He bought a Premier League club with no debt.   He subsequently put the wrong people in charge and turned it into a Championship club.  It was fine when he bought it!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5845 on: May 16, 2019, 11:46:25 PM »
It's a good job we have you then to educate us all.

World Bank economist and professor of Chinese finance and the finder of any spurious website link to support poor little Lai and his inability to spend his billions on us.

Accept it you don't know anymore than anybody else about Lai's finances, yet you defend him and his tenure to the hilt.

He’s right though.   The current Chinese currency restrictions came into force just after he bought the club, preventing further currency exports, and yes, Fosun had large existing foreign currency reserves already which they could spend (but they also can’t get any new money out currently).

Dr Simon Chadwick on Twitter knows this subject better than anybody.  No need to be an expert, just follow him on @Prof_Chadwick

And let’s not forget that Lai made it crystal clear when he bought the club that it would continue to be self-financing, just as it was under Peace.  Unfortunately whilst that model works in the Premier League, it doesn’t work in the Championship once the parachute funding runs out, which is why nearly every Championship club owes large debts to its owners.  If Lai cannot fund that, then selling up after next season without promotion is essential.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5846 on: May 17, 2019, 02:08:41 AM »
He’s right though.   The current Chinese currency restrictions came into force just after he bought the club, preventing further currency exports, and yes, Fosun had large existing foreign currency reserves already which they could spend (but they also can’t get any new money out currently).

Dr Simon Chadwick on Twitter knows this subject better than anybody.  No need to be an expert, just follow him on @Prof_Chadwick

And let’s not forget that Lai made it crystal clear when he bought the club that it would continue to be self-financing, just as it was under Peace.  Unfortunately whilst that model works in the Premier League, it doesn’t work in the Championship once the parachute funding runs out, which is why nearly every Championship club owes large debts to its owners.  If Lai cannot fund that, then selling up after next season without promotion is essential.

I have heard chadwick on the radio and take what he says with a pinch of salt when I see LK Bennett being bought out of administration by a chinese company only last month.

The fact is very low interest loans have stopped in China and with that has gone the availability for lai to borrow more.

Like you says though he wants to run it like peace, so it is a moot point whatever his wealth is in China as he has no intention of using it on us anyway.

What I don't subscribe to is what is peddled on here by without any foundation at all that lai is the victim of the Chinese regime and basically he has billions, which doesn't matter anyway because like you say he wants to run it like peace.

But, there is no proof at all that he is any different from a chancer like Dr x was at vile who wanted to take profits from the anticipated prem money, but whose gamble backfired.

What there is proof of is that he is an easily lead fool, who knows nothing about football and its administration and listened to peace in appointing fools like Goodman and Williams and then he got recommended the idiot terraeno, having seen his cv, who alienated everybody and then was finally sidelined when MJ came back.

What this naive buffoon thought, was yes I'll buy this club for £200m, saw the dividend of £27m and a history of profits and thought, that'll do me, I'll buy this and the continuing profits will service my debt etc pay back my capital outlay in a few years and happy days.

It would not surprise me at all if he had not even known about relegation and the championship and thought it was like American sport.

Our only hope is he knows some real rich people who can actually take us off his hands. Some actual clever people who have a plan like fosun and who have the actual football knowledge of someone like mendes in a partnership and most importantly a plan and ambition.

Add to all these excuses about currency restrictions the  FFP rules you have all the excuses for him to do f all to progress the Albion.

We have been sold by one scum bag to another one imo. We have a not fit for purpose ground and had no improvement to it after unparalleled revenues flowing into the club since 2002.

We cannot grow our fan base because our previous owner who came in as a West brom born West brom fan thought we were a mid sized championship club and we couldn't fill our ground when really he'd rather declare profits and pay taxes in order to show a history of profits to attract a lai.

We as fans have been well and truly been shafted by our owners.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5847 on: May 17, 2019, 02:36:02 AM »
I have heard chadwick on the radio and take what he says with a pinch of salt when I see LK Bennett being bought out of administration by a chinese company only last month.

The fact is very low interest loans have stopped in China and with that has gone the availability for lai to borrow more.

Like you says though he wants to run it like peace, so it is a moot point whatever his wealth is in China as he has no intention of using it on us anyway.

What I don't subscribe to is what is peddled on here by without any foundation at all that lai is the victim of the Chinese regime and basically he has billions, which doesn't matter anyway because like you say he wants to run it like peace.

But, there is no proof at all that he is any different from a chancer like Dr x was at vile who wanted to take profits from the anticipated prem money, but whose gamble backfired.

What there is proof of is that he is an easily lead fool, who knows nothing about football and its administration and listened to peace in appointing fools like Goodman and Williams and then he got recommended the idiot terraeno, having seen his cv, who alienated everybody and then was finally sidelined when MJ came back.

What this naive buffoon thought, was yes I'll buy this club for £200m, saw the dividend of £27m and a history of profits and thought, that'll do me, I'll buy this and the continuing profits will service my debt etc pay back my capital outlay in a few years and happy days.

It would not surprise me at all if he had not even known about relegation and the championship and thought it was like American sport.

Our only hope is he knows some real rich people who can actually take us off his hands. Some actual clever people who have a plan like fosun and who have the actual football knowledge of someone like mendes in a partnership and most importantly a plan and ambition.

Add to all these excuses about currency restrictions the  FFP rules you have all the excuses for him to do f all to progress the Albion.

We have been sold by one scum bag to another one imo. We have a not fit for purpose ground and had no improvement to it after unparalleled revenues flowing into the club since 2002.

We cannot grow our fan base because our previous owner who came in as a West brom born West brom fan thought we were a mid sized championship club and we couldn't fill our ground when really he'd rather declare profits and pay taxes in order to show a history of profits to attract a lai.

You literally buy all the spin. I'll continue tomorrow.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5848 on: May 17, 2019, 06:34:04 AM »
Its a pity Mr Lai wasn't here on Tuesday to see what this club means to so many people and the potential there, if it was tapped into.
He could have watched the game and had a free customer survey all in one hit
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5849 on: May 17, 2019, 07:46:54 AM »

Chadwick is a renowned expert on the subject.

Currency restrictions regarding football investments were specific.  Look it up. How many clubs abroad have been bought by Chinese investors since we were bought?   The LK Bennett purchase was made by a Chinese company with existing overseas funds out of which to buy it - so no currency approval required.

Nobody really knows the extent of Lai’s personal wealth. But it doesn’t matter whether it’s $3.5 billion or $350m.  If it’s in China then he currently can’t get it out, and even if he could get it out, FFP would prevent him from ploughing it into the club.

I think you are right re relegation. He either didn’t realise it was a possibility, or he took that gamble and lost.  Any of 13/14 clubs in the PL are 6 losses away from a relegation battle.

He was crystal clear about it being self-funding when he bought it.  Relegation has knackered that business plan.  That’s why he really needs us to get up next season, and that why it is logical that player sale proceeds will be available to our next manager.