Author Topic: International breaks  (Read 1951 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

International breaks
« on: November 14, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
Is it my imagination, or are there more international breaks than there used to be?
I can't remember it being this bad 20-30 years ago.  It really messes up what is supposed to be the football season.  I for one can't get interested in watching national teams, except maybe when it gets to the final stages. Suppose it will leave more time for shopping though.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

Re: International breaks
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 05:32:57 PM »
There are a lot more countries competing now than 20 or more years ago. From the break up of the former Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and Russia for example, don't know exactly how many new countries were generated but certainly quite a few, then there are a few others such as Gibraltar etc
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 05:54:03 PM »
I forget when they started but there didn't used to be any if I remember rightly. It was just a case of playing the qualifiers midweek and end of season. That was then seen as one of the reasons for England failing to qualify etc.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 07:03:47 PM »
Can't get excited by England these days. How come we always play uninspiring teams like Montenegro too...?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 08:13:47 AM »
Can't get excited by England these days. How come we always play uninspiring teams like Montenegro too...?

it is a good point on the quality of teams.  Montenegro is like playing Kettering Town, only with restrictions on only people from Kettering could play.  The risk of player injury is greater than any entertainment value, and we learned nothing from the result what so ever.  There has to be a cut off point surely?  Gibraltar also get to play and I do not believe they used to?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »
they bore me to tears these breaks
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 12:06:11 PM »
it is a good point on the quality of teams.  Montenegro is like playing Kettering Town, only with restrictions on only people from Kettering could play.  The risk of player injury is greater than any entertainment value, and we learned nothing from the result what so ever.  There has to be a cut off point surely?  Gibraltar also get to play and I do not believe they used to?

oops just typed similar on a different thread, you are spot on though, a complete waste of time for both sides
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 12:10:10 PM »
they bore me to tears these breaks

Me too, hate them with a passion.