Author Topic: Charlie Austin loaned to QPR  (Read 160776 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Charlie Austin
« Reply #350 on: March 07, 2020, 08:52:30 AM »
I was less than enthusiastic about signing him. To my mind these are the types of signing that bedevilled us on the way down and here we are in the Championship making the same mistake of taking a proven player on a big salary who is obviously past his prime.

In mitigation he only just turned 30 in July we only gave him a two year contract I am equally sure we are paying a fraction of what he was on at Southampton and we only paid £4m which is now not looking quite as good as it did at the time.

He has scored a few goals and in terms goals per 90 minutes played he has 0.6 which is a little better than HRK's 0.5. Oddly if either played every minute of every game and maintained their output there is a 20 goal a season striker (don't start me on that nonsense).  Yet Austin's all round play has been hugely disappointing. He does not link play well and his contribution outside of goal scoring is virtually non existent.   

Going forward I fear we are stuck with him next year, his agent will no doubt have secured a promotion clause in his contract which will take his wages way beyond what most teams in the Championship can afford and therefore I fear we will struggle to get him off our payroll.

While a lot of focus next summer will be on who the club brings in the bigger challenge for the DOF will be getting a few of our current players out the door.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 08:59:12 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #351 on: March 07, 2020, 10:10:41 AM »
To be fair, I'm only going to comment on the Newcastle match, which really didn't do Austin any favours and actually in my opinion made him look poor on the evening. Most of the time he was on the pitch we just seemed to lump balls up to him bypassing our aged midfield pairing, whereas he had nothing around him.
Whether he is the answer to our side, I'd say not as we need to progress with younger players, although that is easier said than done,
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #352 on: March 07, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »
He's OK at this level but needs to be moved in in the summer if we go up. He's also completely not suited to the system we play which doesn't help at all.

Think he's justified his wages though as he's contributed some crucial goals.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2020, 11:00:51 AM »
As Standaman has said, we will struggle to move him on. We probably need to accept that he will be our third striker next season. With 1 up front he's probably the best we would get as a third choice.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #354 on: March 07, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »
I know he was expensive but he has scored important goals.
However,I think his coming has spured on HRK ,Philips Zohore?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
I know he was expensive but he has scored important goals.
However,I think his coming has spured on HRK ,Philips Zohore?

Spured on or not that trio along with Austin need replacing If we win promotion.
Plus Brunt & Barry.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #356 on: March 15, 2020, 09:09:10 PM »
Don't know about who is or isn't worse, but Charlie Austin is currently the best striker on our books, so there's two worse before we start.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #357 on: March 15, 2020, 10:54:12 PM »
No he’s not. I always rated him but recent displays have told me that he’s finished at this level

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #358 on: March 15, 2020, 11:08:21 PM »
going to struggle to move him and Zohore on this summer!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #359 on: March 16, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
going to struggle to move him and Zohore on this summer!
there is always a buyer, the question is how much we are willing to lose.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #360 on: March 16, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
there is always a buyer, the question is how much we are willing to lose.

The problem with Austin is that he might be okay for a 20 minute cameo here and there when his team is chasing a game and needs a goal but it is very obvious that he hasn't got 90 minutes in him even at Championship level. Even if Albion were prepared to take the maximum loss of £2m on the fee plus whatever it took to get his salary down to something reasonable at championship level the buying club still hasn't exactly got a bargain because you still only really got a bit part player.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2020, 11:14:33 AM »
I'd let him go on a free to get him off the books. I think he would do OK in the champo in a system that suited him more. Ours doesn't suit him at all but he's produced the goods when the chips were down tbf.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #362 on: March 16, 2020, 01:09:59 PM »
The problem with Austin is that he might be okay for a 20 minute cameo here and there when his team is chasing a game and needs a goal but it is very obvious that he hasn't got 90 minutes in him even at Championship level. Even if Albion were prepared to take the maximum loss of £2m on the fee plus whatever it took to get his salary down to something reasonable at championship level the buying club still hasn't exactly got a bargain because you still only really got a bit part player.
Not that I disagree but how can he not have a 90 minutes in him. He is 30.
"This crack is really moreish."

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #363 on: March 16, 2020, 05:59:39 PM »
Not that I disagree but how can he not have a 90 minutes in him. He is 30.

That is a good question beyond the fact that players decline at different rates and 30 while relatively early it is certainly at the wrong end of the age curve. Add in the fact that across the last 3 seasons he has had lengthy lay offs and might not have looked after himself all that well.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #364 on: March 16, 2020, 06:16:25 PM »
That is a good question beyond the fact that players decline at different rates and 30 while relatively early it is certainly at the wrong end of the age curve. Add in the fact that across the last 3 seasons he has had lengthy lay offs and might not have looked after himself all that well.

Knowing someone how knew him (past tense acknowledged) I think that is the real issue
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »
Has got the disease . Apparently thinks he caught it at Cheltenham  :( :(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »
He'll be fine, just a flu to someone like him.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2020, 06:25:08 PM »
Apparently has acute symptoms but given he is a young elite level athlete that should not be life threatening   

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2020, 06:52:51 PM »
Joseph Masi Twitter Account

“ Breaking: Update to Austin story. Despite reports Albion can confirm Charlie Austin has not been tested for coronavirus. He is self-isolating having experienced symptoms last weekend. However he is now made a full recovery. And no other Albion player has reported symptoms.”
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #369 on: March 20, 2020, 07:05:22 PM »
“West Brom striker Charlie Austin suffering symptoms associated with coronavirus”

Latest from Joseph Masi at the E&S

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/03/20/west-brom-striker-charlie-austin-diagnosed-with-coronavirus/

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #370 on: March 20, 2020, 08:55:25 PM »
Has got the disease . Apparently thinks he caught it at Cheltenham  :( :(
This is so sad. Rumours spreading quicker than a virus.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #371 on: March 20, 2020, 09:19:29 PM »
He hasn't got it, hasn't tested positive for it, just displayed symptoms and self isolated, fake news again.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2020/march/albion-clarify-austin-virus-story/

Albion would like to clarify that striker Charlie Austin has NOT tested positive for COVID-19.

Charlie reported symptoms commonly associated with the coronavirus and on medical advice from the Club was told to stay away from training and “self-isolate” a week ago.

Contrary to reports this evening, Charlie was not tested for the virus and has subsequently made a full recovery.

“I felt terrible for a few days but I never tested for the virus and feel fine now,” said Charlie.

“It was sensible advice to self-isolate from the rest of the lads and from my family during this period. I’ve now made a full recovery.”

The Club would like to confirm that no other players have required testing for coronavirus.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #372 on: March 20, 2020, 10:23:20 PM »
He hasn't tested positive, but unless he's been tested, how does anyone know?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #373 on: March 20, 2020, 10:26:13 PM »
I haven't tested positive ( in a Kirk Douglas stylee)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #374 on: March 23, 2020, 08:52:27 AM »
If he'd had it since September then it would explain why he was blowing out his backside after 5 mins every game.