Author Topic: Released list 2021  (Read 10899 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Released list 2021
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2021, 02:23:10 PM »
as many have said before, we do seem to have a problem transitioning potential into actual regular contributors,  the list is long, I'm not sure why this is but it needs improving, a huge untapped revenue stream.
Which manager took the leap of faith with Saido ? it feels like he was the last truly successful academy product
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2021, 02:30:25 PM »
as many have said before, we do seem to have a problem transitioning potential into actual regular contributors,  the list is long, I'm not sure why this is but it needs improving, a huge untapped revenue stream.
Which manager took the leap of faith with Saido ? it feels like he was the last truly successful academy product

Think it was Steve Clarke.

Disappointed for Kyle Edwards but as others have said it will allow him to find a club and get first team football some where.

I thought he did well at Championship level for us but maybe we should be looking for players that will do a good job in the championship and then be able to step up in the Pl since that'll be the aim surely?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:37:22 PM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »
I agree about every released player.

Dare I hope that we are focusing now? I'm almost certain we are not doing, but I do hope nonetheless.

Big change is essential and this seems to be a positive start to it. I personally liked Edwards but he isn't for us if we are aiming to return to Greed League.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2021, 04:01:31 PM »
One of the things that's slightly annoyed me the more I've thought about it is the lack of joined up thinking at the club these last few months.

As soon as relegation was confirmed, Allardyce dropped Diagne and said he wouldn't be staying next season. It made it look like he was going to focus on people who might still be here next season. HRK started and so I presumed the club were planning to offer him another year on his deal. Now he isn't, you do have to wonder why we weren't stating Grant and Robinson instead.

The same goes for Harmon, who made the bench for the FA cup game and I think may have also made the bench another time, only for him to be released a few months later. Why waste our time when there were other players in his position we were planning to keep?

With the seemingly imminent Wilder appointment which might be bad news for 3 of our only permanent signings last summer, it does make it look like every decision at the club is being made with absolutely no thought for the medium let alone the long term. Everything seems to be what ever gets us through the next week.

Depressing.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2021, 04:14:18 PM »
I know it shouldn't work that way but maybe Allardyce thought it would do HRK a favour to give him a couple of games to improve his chances of getting in the Wales squad for the Euros....as it happened it didn't work.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2021, 04:25:01 PM »
I know it shouldn't work that way but maybe Allardyce thought it would do HRK a favour to give him a couple of games to improve his chances of getting in the Wales squad for the Euros....as it happened it didn't work.

It's not a bad shout, HRK does seem to have been popular with managers so he may have wanted to do him a favour. No good for us though.
Boing Boing

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2021, 12:03:55 PM »
Problem this club has had for years, release young players who in verbally do well for other clubs, while keeping hold of player's who are well past it or getting player's in who had a name somewhere else.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2021, 04:00:37 PM »
Problem this club has had for years, release young players who in verbally do well for other clubs, while keeping hold of player's who are well past it or getting player's in who had a name somewhere else.
Yes, but we've got rid of HRK, Austin, Gibbs, Grosiki - all are 32+

Not bad really when you think about the age of the squad and wages.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2021, 06:07:10 PM »
Yes, but we've got rid of HRK, Austin, Gibbs, Grosiki - all are 32+

Not bad really when you think about the age of the squad and wages.
those players you have named shouldn't have been signed by club, did bugger all for us much preferred if we gave our kids a chance.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2021, 12:05:12 AM »
My only question is how much did all these released players knock off the wage bill?
Any ideas?

Half as much as they were earning this season.  But it's irrelevant as our income is drastically reduced next season. 

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2021, 10:01:21 PM »
I was surprised at HRK being released and I wish Edwards well- He may yet surprise us.  On the whole though, most of the players we have released have not done better elsewhere than with us.  The only ones I can think of that have is the very obvious case of a certain transfer to the Wolves which none of us should mention and possibly Chris Wood, who has forged a decent career at Burnley.  Most others have finished up in the same position or worse.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2021, 10:35:02 PM »
I was surprised at HRK being released and I wish Edwards well- He may yet surprise us.  On the whole though, most of the players we have released have not done better elsewhere than with us.  The only ones I can think of that have is the very obvious case of a certain transfer to the Wolves which none of us should mention and possibly Chris Wood, who has forged a decent career at Burnley.  Most others have finished up in the same position or worse.
Kemar Roofe and Tyler Roberts have done better elsewhere than with us. They weren't released, more allowed to leave for small fees which applies to Chris Wood also.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2021, 12:04:38 PM »
Should we count Wood as one of "ours"? I thought we imported him from New Zealand or somewhere.

Edit: Just checked wikipedia and he joined us at about 18 years old or so by the look of it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 12:06:58 PM by OhBilics »
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2021, 12:24:12 PM »
Also the letting them go for small fees is a misnomer. Both were offered new contracts. Both declined the contracts. Both were sold to avoid tribunals.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2021, 09:56:52 PM »
.....and lack of opportunities with us no doubt played a part in them turning down those new contracts.