Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 844321 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #2350 on: December 19, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »
I was bored stupid with the football under Pulis, and bored stupid and frustrated under the clueless one. Darren has reminded me how exciting football can be again, and I am back in love with the Albion. Every match so far (with the possible exception of Middlesboro) has been wonderful to watch and utterly unpredictable. Well done Darren. I wasn't sure that he was the right appointment but he has won me over. I think he is building something good. Personally (and I realise that I will probably get some stick for this, and understand why) I think we would probably benefit long term from another season in the Championship as I really don't think our squad is anywhere near Premiership level and, even with a few new signings, we would probably just come straight back down again.

I both agree entirely and disagree with the part I have bolded. I agree that our squad is nowhere near Premier League level, with me discounting Gayle and Barnes for that purpose who aren't ours, but another season in the Championship will do us no favours as the better players we do currently have that set our squad apart from Championship level (Dawson, Hegazy, Phillips etc) would all be picked off leaving us with a bang average squad as our owners will not invest. A season in the Premier League at least provides us with the big wedge of cash to be able to stay ahead of sides at this level.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2351 on: December 19, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
Also in assent. Another season at this level would be disastrous.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #2352 on: December 19, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »

Agreed. Have all these pro championship posters seen the Cardiff team that have a chance of survival, the prem isn’t that hard

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2353 on: December 19, 2018, 11:19:45 AM »

Agreed.

This summer is going to be a big rebuild regardless of what division we are in - when you factor in Brunt, Barry, Mozza are all on their last legs, Tosin, Gayle and Barnes will return back to their clubs, Sako Wes and Mears will more than likely be let go.

Not to mention any of the players who think they belong in prem, i.e Jay Rod, Hegazi, Dawson, Phillips, Gibbs.

I would rather we were looking at premier league standard players, than building a championship squad.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2354 on: December 19, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
I think we need accept the need to yo-yo for a couple of seasons to rebuild our team and ethos, to expect us to stay up, if we get promoted is unrealistic, the solid core of this team is just not there, Darren would be an absolute legend if he managed promotion and stability in the Premiership.
Baggie in Southampton

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2355 on: December 19, 2018, 05:14:00 PM »
I have been a "don't want to get back into the greed league" proponent.
This is from a fans perspective, for the club its an absolute necessity, I can see that 100%,

It doesn't mean that I have to want "it" too, especially if maintaining "it" means a return to "survival at any cost" football and good people losing their jobs because we don't have the financial clout to compete.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2356 on: December 19, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »
I have been a "don't want to get back into the greed league" proponent.
This is from a fans perspective, for the club its an absolute necessity, I can see that 100%,

It doesn't mean that I have to want "it" too, especially if maintaining "it" means a return to "survival at any cost" football and good people losing their jobs because we don't have the financial clout to compete.

I'm talking from a fan perspective. Once this squad is broken up we won't be challenging at the top end of this division. It's not remotely enjoyable being a Championship also ran.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2357 on: December 19, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »
Let’s just enjoy the ride and see what happens.

As a fan I can’t say I’m daunted by the Premier as the bottom 12 are as worse as i’ve ever known it.

When you watch 2 teams play from the bottom 12 it is not that dissimilar to the standard at the top of the Champ.

We do need to finish in the Top 2 and get back there.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2358 on: December 20, 2018, 07:57:08 AM »
Agreed. Have all these pro championship posters seen the Cardiff team that have a chance of survival, the prem isn’t that hard

The fact that it's not even half way through the Premier league season and you've mentioned a team that might survive suggests that it is that hard a division. If it wasn't a hard division then no one would be talked about in terms of relegation less than half way through a season surely?

It's not necessarily about spending money as Fulham have spent something like £100M and look relegated.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:58:46 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2359 on: December 20, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
"See where we are at Christmas" seems to be a common benchmark so, how are we doing so far?

Sitting 3rd in the league
Guaranteed top 6 by Xmas whatever the results
Top goalscorers
2nd best goal difference
Above teams with bigger budgets and higher profile, experienced managers such as, Boro, Villa, Derby and Forest

All in all, I say a fantastic performance from a rookie manager. B+  Room for improvement but a sterling effort.

Surely most of that is a question of expectation. If you feel we have one of the best two squads then....

Sitting 3rd in the league - slightly under par
Guaranteed top 6 by Xmas whatever the results - if we are 6th it will be well below bar
Top goalscorers - very nice, but the games about winning.  One clean sheet.
2nd best goal difference - One clean sheet

Above teams with bigger budgets - Is this really true, How many bigger budgets than ours are there? Certainly below 2 smaller budgets.
Higher profile - Does profile means much? As a recently relegated side id say our profile is quite high. Harvey Barnes rejected Leeds for us. 
Experienced managers such as Boro, Villa, Derby and Forest. I'd expect to see more correlation with league position and budget than league position and managers experience.

DM is doing OK and he has us in the running. I dont buy any of the superlatives though.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2360 on: December 20, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »
Surely most of that is a question of expectation. If you feel we have one of the best two squads then....

Guaranteed top 6 by Xmas whatever the results - if we are 6th it will be well below bar

Above teams with bigger budgets - Is this really true, How many bigger budgets than ours are there? Certainly below 2 smaller budgets.
Higher profile - Does profile means much? As a recently relegated side id say our profile is quite high. Harvey Barnes rejected Leeds for us. 
Experienced managers such as Boro, Villa, Derby and Forest. I'd expect to see more correlation with league position and budget than league position and managers experience.

DM is doing OK and he has us in the running. I dont buy any of the superlatives though.

Goals win games though, clean sheets don't. If we kept a clean sheet it just means we won't lose but if we don't score we won't win.

I am concerned about the lack of clean sheets but I'm sure they will come.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2361 on: December 20, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »
Goals win games though, clean sheets don't. If we kept a clean sheet it just means we won't lose but if we don't score we won't win.

Totally understand what you are saying but a clean sheet gives you a base to start from. If you are confident of keeping one it helps relax in other areas and eases pressure, at the moment we go into games expecting to have to score at least 2 per game.

Sam Johnstone kept 20+ clean sheets last season in a defence that for spells contained Mile Jedinak a midfielder at centre half, do I think their defence of Chester/ Terry/ Jedinak is better than ours of Dawson and Hegazi ? no I don't one bit but something is not right for us and needs sorting. Maybe its the midfield that is lacking something in terms of protection for the back four.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2362 on: December 20, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »
Totally understand what you are saying but a clean sheet gives you a base to start from. If you are confident of keeping one it helps relax in other areas and eases pressure, at the moment we go into games expecting to have to score at least 2 per game.

Sam Johnstone kept 20+ clean sheets last season in a defence that for spells contained Mile Jedinak a midfielder at centre half, do I think their defence of Chester/ Terry/ Jedinak is better than ours of Dawson and Hegazi ? no I don't one bit but something is not right for us and needs sorting. Maybe its the midfield that is lacking something in terms of protection for the back four.

That something would be called Yacob, for his limitations he was a brilliant shield for the back 4, no he doesn't fit the DM model but we do need something akin to CY, that said a Yacob who can pass and get up and down the pitch (a Kante / Mulumbu type) would be worth a small fortune if you could find one.
Albion Family !!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2363 on: December 20, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »

While goals win games, the lack of clean sheets could derail a promotion push. Take the Brentford game for example; if we had seen out a clean sheet there, we're two points better off. Then we're within one win of Norwich in second, not two. For the sake of one clean sheet.

You can't rely on your strikers to remain in form and score consistently through the season, but if you keep a few clean sheets then it takes the pressure off. You can't keep expecting to score 2 to 3 goals to win a game of football.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2364 on: December 20, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
While goals win games, the lack of clean sheets could derail a promotion push. Take the Brentford game for example; if we had seen out a clean sheet there, we're two points better off. Then we're within one win of Norwich in second, not two. For the sake of one clean sheet.

You can't rely on your strikers to remain in form and score consistently through the season, but if you keep a few clean sheets then it takes the pressure off. You can't keep expecting to score 2 to 3 goals to win a game of football.

I agree with the points that you and OldburyWBA both make in principle and as I said in my original post the lack of clean sheets is a concern.

I could also reasonably argue that you can't expect our defence to not get better and start keeping a few clean sheets.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2365 on: December 20, 2018, 02:25:43 PM »

Guess your expectations of an imbalanced, relegated squad, under a rookie manager, were greater than mine.

3rd has exceeded my expectations
In the play off places is a good return, just ask the other 2 relegated sides
Forest certainly have a bigger budget than us, as do Villa and Boro most likely. I'm guessing though so could be wrong.
I don't agree that a poor manager with a big budget is better than a good manager with a small budget. If that was true the manager would be rather inconsequential, surely?
A clean sheet has never won a game. We could keep 20 clean sheets in the second half of the season and not get promoted or could keep none and win the league. Goals scored and goal difference are far more important.

My glass is half full again and that's thanks to Big Darren. :D

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2366 on: December 20, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »
46 clean sheets can get you relegated, but, never win you anything
scoring more than opposition can get you promoted - simples
Albion Family !!!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2367 on: December 20, 2018, 04:19:51 PM »
Agree to a point but am willing to bet that if at the end of the season we only keep 2or 3 clean sheets which is what we are on course to do we won't win promotion
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2368 on: December 20, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
If we keep playing the way we are the clean sheets will start coming. We're not defending badly for the most part, Johnstone can't have had ten shots to save in the last half a dozen games, but we seem to lose concentration and gift teams a goal - usually Dawson and Adarabioyo. 4-0 up against Leeds should've been an easy clean sheet but Dawson switches off and doesn't see the runner he ball watches. Adarabioyo doesn't come across on the cover quickly enough (reading the game). 2-0 up at Ipswich and again we switch off mentally this time Adarabioyo not alert enough which creates a bad touch gifting them a goal. At Sheffield United - again Dawson and Adarabioyo. Dawson doesn't come across but more criminally Adarabioyo doesn't look along the line and step up. ALL of these goals are down to not concentrating well enough.

It might help if we had a proper right back to be fair. Harsh to be too critical of Tosin he's a young lad playing out of his natural position.

If Daws and Tosin can learn to communicate a bit better it'll cut out half the goals we concede.

I'm confident we will. In normal circumstances teams miss a few of the chances we gift them but once you start conceding it becomes a habit. Earlier in the season we conceded more goals from outside the area than I can ever remember us doing. Yes that's down to not closing down and not having the correct shape at times but it's also a bit unlucky that every shot seems to land in the top corner. Sometimes you go through spells like that.

London buses come to mind. Get one clean sheet and we'll probably get two or three in a row.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2369 on: December 20, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »
Guess your expectations of an imbalanced, relegated squad, under a rookie manager, were greater than mine.

3rd has exceeded my expectations
In the play off places is a good return, just ask the other 2 relegated sides
Forest certainly have a bigger budget than us, as do Villa and Boro most likely. I'm guessing though so could be wrong.
I don't agree that a poor manager with a big budget is better than a good manager with a small budget. If that was true the manager would be rather inconsequential, surely?
A clean sheet has never won a game. We could keep 20 clean sheets in the second half of the season and not get promoted or could keep none and win the league. Goals scored and goal difference are far more important.

My glass is half full again and that's thanks to Big Darren. :D

If there was a like button I'd be pressing it.   It is all down to expectation and I genuinely had no idea what to expect before the season started.    I think a lot is being taken for granted.   Dawson was re integrated after THAT team photo.  Gibbs looks hungry and motivated.  Phillip's is playing his best football for us.  Barnes creativity has been encouraged and we have transitioned a squad used to playing in a dour defensive way and turned them into team scoring goals and occasionally playing scintillating football.   Oh, and by the way.......lets not forget the impact at the end of the year.  So no, not top two but a decent few months work.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2370 on: December 20, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »
Agree to a point but am willing to bet that if at the end of the season we only keep 2or 3 clean sheets which is what we are on course to do we won't win promotion

While not disagreeing that the team needs to keep more clean sheets in the second half of the season, IMO to a certain extent there is an element of luck when keeping or not keeping the ball out of the net in any given game. In recent matches IMO we have looked pretty comfortable and sides have scored with virtually their first and possibly only chances.

On the other hand teams can keep clean sheets yet seriously ride their luck in doing so, in that the opposition can miss numerous chances. A good example of this is Leeds v Sheff Utd a few weeks back. Sheff Utd created more opportunities v Leeds than they did against us, yet Leeds kept the clean sheet.

Also, however well you defend, you can't legislate for a team scoring a fantastic goal which nothing could be done to prevent it. This was and is one of the big flaws in 'Pulisball' tactics. Nicking 1-0's is all well and good but with a little bit of luck going against you these results can easily swing the other way.

However there isn't a great deal of luck when it comes to being free-scoring, a team is either capable of putting the ball in the net frequently or it is not.

I would also add that apart from Middlesbrough, Leeds and possibly Forest, the other promotion chasing teams have defensive records that are not significantly different from Albion's. (I don't consider having 4,5, 6 goals less conceded over 20+ matches to be 'significant'.)

Score 2+ goals per game on average over the course of a season and a team will be unlucky to not be promoted come the seasons end. We're currently on track for that target.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:14:38 PM by Windmill Baggy »

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2371 on: December 20, 2018, 08:10:58 PM »
While not disagreeing that the team needs to keep more clean sheets in the second half of the season, IMO to a certain extent there is an element of luck when keeping or not keeping the ball out of the net in any given game. In recent matches IMO we have looked pretty comfortable and sides have scored with virtually their first and possibly only chances.

OTOH teams can keep clean sheets yet seriously ride their luck in doing so, in that the opposition can miss numerous chances. A good example of this is Leeds v Sheff Utd a few weeks back. Sheff Utd created more opportunities v Leeds than they did against us, yet Leeds kept the clean sheet.

Also, however well you defend, you can't legislate for a team scoring a fantastic goal which nothing could be done to prevent it. This was and is one of the big flaws in 'Pulisball' tactics. Nicking 1-0's is all well and good but with a little bit of luck going against you these results can easily swing the other way.

However there isn't a great deal of luck when it comes to being free-scoring, a team is either capable of putting the ball in the net frequently or it is not.

I would also add that apart from Middlesbrough, Leeds and possibly Forest, the other promotion chasing teams have defensive records that are not significantly different from Albion's. (I don't consider having 4,5, 6 goals less conceded over 20+ matches to be 'significant'.)

Score 2+ goals per game on average over the course of a season and a team will be unlucky to not be promoted come the seasons end. We're currently on track for that target.

I might be a bit thick here but what's "OTOH"?
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2372 on: December 20, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »
That's 46 points
We would stay up
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2373 on: December 20, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »

On the other hand.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2374 on: December 20, 2018, 10:50:08 PM »
I think it’s something to do with being too lazy to type.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.