Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 764862 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3150 on: September 03, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
I don't see any issue apart from the fact that Chris Brunt hasn't been playing well enough. He's had plenty of plaudits when he's done well and criticism when he's fallen below the standard required. Regardless of the position he plays in on the pitch there is no excuse for misplaced basic passes, stupid free kicks, lack of concentration and making basic errors every week. I thought he played much better against Stoke but don't see him as a long term answer in central midfield.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3151 on: September 03, 2018, 07:18:24 PM »
Same should go for all the players. Criticise via the forum not by hurling personal abuse in the stadium or by sending them abuse on social media.

I am a huge Brunt fan however even I can recognise he has been one of our weaker elements this season after all he's not a central midfielder by trade. Although I think he played a lot better on Saturday.

My old man always said it takes Brunt 10-12 games to really get going and on form anyway and he's been saying if for best part of a decade.

On the club service 380th game yesterday moved him to 17th in the all time list. Looks on to be in the 400 club at some point this year. Only 4 wba goals away from 50 also
O Albion we love you

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3152 on: September 04, 2018, 09:14:36 AM »
As you know Brunty is one of my all time favourites, but his game has dipped when he has been captain, and he was never a CM. I can't help thinking it isn't a bit of an old pals act by Darren Moore.
Of course we don't know what players are like off the pitch, but surely there are better CM's at the club, and equally good leaders?
Love Brunty, but we need to be at our strongest in all departments.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3153 on: September 04, 2018, 06:53:46 PM »
He's been a brilliant servant to the club - but as I said in an earlier post; sentiment eventually needs to make way for the greater good in the long run; Brunt is not and has never been a CM.

For me he is still great to have as an older head in the dressing room and in the squad/on the bench if you need him, but unless there's a slot available on the left side of midfield (or left back) due to injuries then he should not be starting any more.

He'll be winding down his career in the next 2-3 years and he's been taking the coaching qualifications to get all the badges for the last couple of years too apparently. So with Moore now manager, this could be the perfect opportunity for him to start stepping back a bit from playing and phasing in to the management staff at some point if he wanted to.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3154 on: September 04, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
 What would all his critics say if he turned round and said to Darren Moore no boss I'm not playing there its not my forte? Give the bloke a break he's doing the job to the best of his ability,I would though relieve him of the armband as he ain't captain material,but not sure if we have someone in that mould either

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3155 on: September 04, 2018, 10:00:20 PM »
What would all his critics say if he turned round and said to Darren Moore no boss I'm not playing there its not my forte? Give the bloke a break he's doing the job to the best of his ability,I would though relieve him of the armband as he ain't captain material,but not sure if we have someone in that mould either

That's the thing, he has never complained or sulked since he has been here. Always done whatever asked of him. A model pro.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3156 on: September 04, 2018, 10:07:18 PM »
That's the thing, he has never complained or sulked since he has been here. Always done whatever asked of him. A model pro.
Agreed. I wonder how some of our other players would have reacted to being nearly blinded by one of our own 'fans'.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3157 on: October 03, 2018, 11:46:58 PM »
As Brunty supplied a superb cross from the right for the first goal tonight,i know he is a leftsided player,but surely he could do a better job on the right than mears can,and also this would free up a place for a proper central midfielder

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3158 on: October 04, 2018, 05:03:57 AM »
As Brunty supplied a superb cross from the right for the first goal tonight,i know he is a leftsided player,but surely he could do a better job on the right than mears can,and also this would free up a place for a proper central midfielder
It would be another square peg in a round hole, Burke could do a better job than Mears
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3159 on: October 04, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »

Agree, it's a change I would have made last night. I though Mears was poor.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3160 on: October 04, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
Personally would prefer to see Brunt out at wing back over Mears. It is a square peg yeah, but Mears isn't up to this level any more.

Brunt is slow and not as mobile as he used to be but once again last night did what he has done for years here - put in the perfect pass and notched yet another assist (he must be close to being the clubs pffocial record assists maker, seeing as assists records have only really been recorded in the last 20 years or so).

If management insist on finding a place for him, i'd prefer that to be wing back.
Boing Boing

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3161 on: October 04, 2018, 08:29:31 AM »
I'd prefer to see Brunt out wide, but in our current system the wingbacks have to get up and down the pitch a lot and cover a lot of ground.  I'm not sure Brunt still still has the legs to do this for a prolonged period.
Twitter: @floydy1983

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3162 on: October 04, 2018, 08:52:54 AM »
If he's out wide he's on the left or not out wide for me. I'd like to see him next to Barry or Field.

Brunt's a tough one - CM doesn't suit him in my humble. Gibbs is doing fantastic and is perfect for LWB so he can't go there either. He provides so many assists and fantastic passes that he's a tough one to drop. Would be tempted to drop J-Rod away from home which could accommodate Brunt as we pack the CM area and have him on the bench at home but i also understand why Moore would always include him.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3163 on: October 04, 2018, 04:43:05 PM »
If he's out wide he's on the left or not out wide for me. I'd like to see him next to Barry or Field.

Brunt's a tough one - CM doesn't suit him in my humble. Gibbs is doing fantastic and is perfect for LWB so he can't go there either. He provides so many assists and fantastic passes that he's a tough one to drop. Would be tempted to drop J-Rod away from home which could accommodate Brunt as we pack the CM area and have him on the bench at home but i also understand why Moore would always include him.

Brunt is left side of a flat 4. He's not a cm in a month of Sunday's however as numerous people have stated he's a top pro and true club man he's played right side cm and left back without sulking he has took captaincy on (not because he's great captan material but we lack other candidates) had a penny threw at him and got on with it.
Also he's not a left wing back as he doesn't and never had the pace let alone now a season an older statesman doesn't have the engine to be going up and down all day.

Think we could play him lwb at home as we tend to control the games. And whilst Phillips is injured I don't see why away from home we haven't switched to a back 4 and then brunt could quiet easily play left wing in front of Gibbs.
O Albion we love you

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3164 on: October 05, 2018, 10:41:09 PM »
if we persist with a back three,Bartley is the massive weak link,and quite  a few posters in his defence point out that he is right footed so he is the fall guy as he plays on the left side of a back three,my suggestion is to play try Brunty in this position in the back three,he can control,pass and move out with the ball,he is not too bad in the air either,it will be a massive improvement on Bartley in this position

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3165 on: October 05, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »
if we persist with a back three,Bartley is the massive weak link,and quite  a few posters in his defence point out that he is right footed so he is the fall guy as he plays on the left side of a back three,my suggestion is to play try Brunty in this position in the back three,he can control,pass and move out with the ball,he is not too bad in the air either,it will be a massive improvement on Bartley in this position
Worth a shot as even brunty couldn't be worse than our weakest link

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3166 on: October 05, 2018, 11:19:53 PM »

If we're going down that route then Barry would be a more suitable candidate as he has played centre half before so wouldn't be as much of a square peg than Brunt, Brunt needs to be wide.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3167 on: October 06, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »
He should not be captain, hopefully hodgson has realised that, you're captain should inspire you, especially during your biggest derby

Im sure hodgson was linked with brunt whilst at fulham ?

I would like to see Brunt on the left side of midfield still . He's clearly not a centre midfielder

For some reason I decided to look at the very first Brunt post.  “Shouldn’t be captain, clearly not a centre midfielder.”    That post is 8 years old and we are back where we started...

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3168 on: October 06, 2018, 10:46:28 PM »
Brunt played well in his cameo today.

Maybe the best tactic in the future to have him coming off the bench.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3169 on: October 07, 2018, 12:43:05 AM »
He looks good in CM when he has time and space to pick a pass. Coming on when we’re leading and they were fatigued suited him. Definitely an asset but I wouldn’t play him ahead of Barry atm, especially away from home.

Desperately in need of a quality box to box midfield. Would take this team up another gear.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3170 on: October 08, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
You can't easily play a box to box midfielder with this set up though.  With the wing backs pushing on and Barnes up there, if we added another midfielder regularly then we are left with 3 CH's and 1 holding midfielder.  Crucially, with none of them being particularly quick we'd be slaughtered on the counter.

We've essentially done away with needing a box to box MF by having Barnes play up there.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3171 on: November 10, 2018, 07:50:06 PM »
I think we saw v Leeds that this man’s Albion days must surely be behind him.  I’d seriously think about paying up the rest of his contract in January if I was Moore.

Jimmy Morrison when fit is a couple of years younger and has greater mobility in this position.  He must be the preferred option going forward.

There is something with Brunt in that if he is fit he expects to play the majority of games.

No one is being disrespectful or deriding what we has done for WBA over a long period of time.  I just think a parting of the ways is in everyone’s interests.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3172 on: November 10, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »
I think we saw v Leeds that this man’s Albion days must surely be behind him.  I’d seriously think about paying up the rest of his contract in January if I was Moore.

Jimmy Morrison when fit is a couple of years younger and has greater mobility in this position.  He must be the preferred option going forward.

There is something with Brunt in that if he is fit he expects to play the majority of games.

No one is being disrespectful or deriding what we has done for WBA over a long period of time.  I just think a parting of the ways is in everyone’s interests.
I agree that we are better without him starting now and shouldn't be central under any circumstance...but
To pay his contract and let him leave is naive and would never get the boards backing
You may (and others will too) prefer Morrison, but he has not always been available ..
The comment (assumption) about him expecting to play is pure conjecture

I'll reiterate, brunt is past being a starter for us, but he has never shirked and been involved in some big moments for WBA
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3173 on: November 10, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »
Not sure its the end for him, he's been played out of position. His experience and ability will become prominent towards the end of the season but only in his proper position

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3174 on: November 10, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »
Not sure its the end for him, he's been played out of position. His experience and ability will become prominent towards the end of the season but only in his proper position

His proper position which is where?

Last year or season before he made a switch to left back which we all assumed was permanent.  Then a switch back to midfield has been enforced.

I think he has been such a prominent player (credit for this) then there is that assumption that he will get picked.

I don’t think he’s a 20 minute impact player, his fitness will suffer for one thing.

Darren Moore needs to be strong, tough and single minded on his best team and if there are casualties along the way then that is how it is.