Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 217445 times)

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town
« on: August 29, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »
For me Rekeem Harper, is the best of our current crop of young prospects. I have watched him in the two league cup games, and I think he is ready to make a claim for a start in the first team. He is comfortable on the ball, passes it well, looks to get forward, and is quite strong in the challenge.
Tonight alongside Gareth Barry I thought he was excellent, and if he continues to be overlooked for at least a place on the bench, for the likes of Morrison and Brunt and Barry then we may just as well abandon the academy.Sam Field, Kyle Edwards, Olly Burke and Jonathan Leko, are other young players who are being held back by the persistence of playing the old guard. I am concerned that because our start to the season has so far been a somewhat stuttering one, that Darren Moore will not risk our youngsters.
I am convinced that there is no risk in giving Rekeem Harper, Chris Brunt's place in the team, because he will do a better job partnering Livermore.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:30:16 PM by OldburyWBA »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 03:01:14 AM »
For me Rakeem Harper, is the best of our current crop of young prospects. I have watched him in the two league cup games, and I think he is ready to make a claim for a start in the first team. He is comfortable on the ball, passes it well, looks to get forward, and is quite strong in the challenge.
Tonight alongside Gareth Barry I thought he was excellent, and if he continues to be overlooked for at least a place on the bench, for the likes of Morrison and Brunt and Barry then we may just as well abandon the academy.Sam Field, Kyle Edwards, Olly Burke and Jonathan Leko, are other young players who are being held back by the persistence of playing the old guard. I am concerned that because our start to the season has so far been a somewhat stuttering one, that Darren Moore will not risk our youngsters.
I am convinced that there is no risk in giving Rakeem Harper, Chris Brunt's place in the team, because he will do a better job partnering Livermore.

Agree on Harper. I would say Moore seems like he is trying to blood the youngsters (more than our previous manager in the league cup). I think its a risk to throw them in but I would give Harper or Field a go ahead of Brunt. The other lads have more obstacles in front of them in the first team. Leko and Edwards are going to find it tough with Barnes and Phillips who are way ahead of them at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:47:25 AM by OldburyWBA »

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 03:38:11 AM »
Harper would be livermores replacement for me. Similar mould of player.
Field would be in for Brunt.
Nice to think the likes of these two and leko and Edwards could actually all be main stays of the future.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:47:35 AM by OldburyWBA »
O Albion we love you

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 06:46:59 AM »
Agree on Harper, really good prospect and should be starting for me.
Edwards isn't far away.
Field is a starter.
Leko has a lot to learn. It's a team game and you don't always need another step over. Needs to be more aware and learn when to lay the ball off.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:47:44 AM by OldburyWBA »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »
The only thing I would say about Harper is that he needs to find his role. His natural fit seems to be a defensive midfielder but last night Barry did most of the defensive work, making the last minute tackles whereas Harper was the player who covered more ground and started our attacks with some great passing.

Whether his forward play is good enough to develop him into a Paul Pogba style player, I don't know, butnif he could add the more defensive side to his game then he could be the natural reppacement for Livermore.

Whatever his role, he is worth a chance in our current formation as he seemed to fit very well into the role as one of the 2 deep lyind central midfielders.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:47:55 AM by OldburyWBA »
Boing Boing

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 09:00:18 AM »
I feel he has looked very good against two lower league outfits, but ultimately you can only play what's in front of you. I said in another thread that I would not be adverse to seeing us try Barry and Harper together in the league, it is the ultimate acid test for the young lad, but with Barry alongside him he could guide him through the game.

I do feel he is, as many have said, the most advanced of our current crop of youngsters and will forge a very successful career for himself, hopefully with us.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:48:03 AM by OldburyWBA »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »
I feel he has looked very good against two lower league outfits, but ultimately you can only play what's in front of you. I said in another thread that I would not be adverse to seeing us try Barry and Harper together in the league, it is the ultimate acid test for the young lad, but with Barry alongside him he could guide him through the game.

I do feel he is, as many have said, the most advanced of our current crop of youngsters and will forge a very successful career for himself, hopefully with us.

He's decent but he has not created one chance in either game I've seen him play. He's not the type of midfielder we need right now. He doesn't have vision and all his passing is safe. The only one he could theoretically replace is Livermore but Livermore is ahead of him at the moment. Harper isn't the most advanced of our youngsters Field is which will be reflected when Field once again makes the bench on Saturday ahead of Harper as he always has done when fit.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:48:10 AM by OldburyWBA »

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »

He's decent but he has not created one chance in either game I've seen him play. He's not the type of midfielder we need right now. He doesn't have vision and all his passing is safe. The only one he could theoretically replace is Livermore but Livermore is ahead of him at the moment. Harper isn't the most advanced of our youngsters Field is which will be reflected when Field once again makes the bench on Saturday ahead of Harper as he always has done when fit.

Can't disagree on Field, only omitted him as I do not really see him in the same bracket as the likes of Leko, Edwards, Harper et al, I see Field as a senior pro now which of course belies his years but that is how highly I rate the lad.

On Harper not creating a clear chance, I feel that is a tad harsh, his use of the ball to supply those who are in the team to do precisely that was spot on in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:48:18 AM by OldburyWBA »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »
Can't disagree on Field, only omitted him as I do not really see him in the same bracket as the likes of Leko, Edwards, Harper et al, I see Field as a senior pro now which of course belies his years but that is how highly I rate the lad.

On Harper not creating a clear chance, I feel that is a tad harsh, his use of the ball to supply those who are in the team to do precisely that was spot on in my opinion.

If we class Field as a senior pro then I agree with you on Harper being the best of the crop of academy kids. Edwards for me is the least advanced and Leko is full of twists and turns and step overs but as someone posted yesterday it's more style than substance with him at the moment.

I do like Harper, think he has a bright future ahead of him.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:48:25 AM by OldburyWBA »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »
Harper provided the out ball for Burke, Leko and Edwards a few times last night. It was the front 3's great breaks that did most of the work, but Harper's quick balls out were the foundation. Nothing wrong with sensible, no show boaty moves. He provided a great link.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:48:32 AM by OldburyWBA »
Boing Boing

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »
As an aside, out of respect for the lad, is there any chance that his name could be spelt correctly on the thread title?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:48:40 AM by OldburyWBA »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 11:49:14 AM »
As an aside, out of respect for the lad, is there any chance that his name could be spelt correctly on the thread title?

Done the subjects but I ain't editing all the individual posts  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »

Lazy git  ;D

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »

Dereliction of duty right there  ;D

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
When I've seen him before he always seemed a bit lightweight, but he's impressed me against Luton and Mansfield. Granted that's not exactly stellar opposition, but he's done well.

Would be interesting to see him and Field in the middle together down the line.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »
When I've seen him before he always seemed a bit lightweight, but he's impressed me against Luton and Mansfield. Granted that's not exactly stellar opposition, but he's done well.

Would be interesting to see him and Field in the middle together down the line.

Lightweight? The guy is a tank.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 01:10:37 PM »

Lightweight? The guy is a tank.

Yeah, I think he's filled out recently.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »
Thought he was superb for majority of last night.

Actually think this lad could be the best of the bunch. Has a touch of coolness about  him and leadership wise he isn’t afraid to bark orders and calm things down when needed.

Maybe not against better opposition such as Saturday but certainly deserves gametime against lesser opponents in the league.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 11:10:06 PM »
I fully understand that DM is not going to throw several of the talented youngsters into the team at the same time. However, given the less than impressive performances from the current two central midfielders it is surely worth the risk of giving Harper a full game in a league match? This is the only way to see if he is ready for the rigours of the championship.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 11:21:09 PM »
I just looked at the fixtures to see when would be a good opportunity to throw a couple of kids in, simply, there is no obvious fixture in the next few weeks, so I would give the incumbents one last chance against Stoke and if it goes badly the boys (field and probably harper) should be given a run of 4-5 games minimum.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »
I think Harper has been MoM in both the league cup games.  The least he deserves is a place on the bench with a view to giving him 30 minutes if we are looking comfortable in a game.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 07:38:12 PM »
Named in a incredibly talented England under 19 squad (to put things into perspective, Oliver Skipp who's probably Spurs' highest rated talent in their academy and got plenty of game time with their seniors in pre-season didn't make this squad and he's also a central midfielder).

The only way you learn is by playing, he should be rotating in and out the side this year. No one is a perfect central midfielder at 18. But if we can't offer games in this situation, lacking depth in central midfield, with the incumbants starting, what can we offer to our youth players?

We're not talking people with no talent here. He, and Field for that matter are considered amongst the best their age in the country. Why would someone like Morgan Rogers (who can join pretty much any club he wishes) stay on with us if we can't offer games? Because we're not offering much else.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 07:40:48 PM by Dan »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 07:45:25 PM »
Named in a incredibly talented England under 19 squad (to put things into perspective, Oliver Skipp who's probably Spurs' highest rated talent in their academy and got plenty of game time with their seniors in pre-season didn't make this squad and he's also a central midfielder).

The only way you learn is by playing, he should be rotating in and out the side this year. No one is a perfect central midfielder at 18. But if we can't offer games in this situation, lacking depth in central midfield, with the incumbants starting, what can we offer to our youth players?

We're not talking people with no talent here. He, and Field for that matter are considered amongst the best their age in the country. Why would someone like Morgan Rogers (who can join pretty much any club he wishes) stay on with us if we can't offer games? Because we're not offering much else.
Yep, given that our experienced CM options are far from stand-out class at this level, Harper and Field should be given plenty of opportunities. It's not the massive risk that some seem to treat it as.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »
Also think he looks a real talent and it’s great to see him getting more game time. I suppose one thing about dropping to the championship means more games and less reliance on staying up at all costs like in the prem, meaning the youngsters should see more game time as the season progresses.

As an aside I also thought Edwards has looked great in the games I’ve seen him too.

I think big dave’s previous position in the academy staff team and being the loan manager will help us see more of the younger players getting a chance
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:29:04 PM by TheBrom »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »
I've mentioned elsewhere but it's a bit concerning that his contract is up at the end of the season. Wonder if there have been talks about an extension, it's needed if not.