Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640308 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1025 on: February 07, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
Nice to see Rogers come on but was there any gain - as in it makes it more difficult / expensive for another club to pinch him now that he's played for the senior team ?

If I remember right, I think if he was to get poached, his value would increase now he has played for the first team as opposed to if he was still playing academy football, as he's seen as being part of the senior set up.

Could be wrong though.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1026 on: February 07, 2019, 02:49:58 PM »
If I remember right, I think if he was to get poached, his value would increase now he has played for the first team as opposed to if he was still playing academy football, as he's seen as being part of the senior set up.

Could be wrong though.
Yes i think that's right, there was some benefit in just getting him on the pitch. Although he's obviously a prospect I'm not sure he would have been pushed ahead of Edwards and Leko at this stage otherwise.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1027 on: February 07, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »
We do look as though we have a very talented group of players but the problem is we probably wont see Leko, Edwards, Tulloch or Rogers involved in a competitive game now for another six months when the first round of the carabao cups start, so the momentum of the last 10 days will of gone.

The likes of Edwards and Leko very rarely got near the first team for league games the first five months of the season, i cannot see that changing now we have signed another three players.

I believe they were both carrying knocks last night but they should of been loaned out and probably Tulloch too (Rogers at 16 is a bit too young), keeping them here for cup fixtures is pointless when we are now out by early February.

The only way these lads will have chance to fulfill their potential is by playing reguarly which they wont do with us, i think Sam Field has suffered massively due to not going out and playing on loan, i am desperate for him to do well, he seems a nice lad, Albion fan, but he is 21 in May and is no closer to being a regular than he was when he broke on the scene three years ago,  Leko the same.

Our whole loan system has to be reviewed because training every day and playing for the under 23's a couple of times a month is not fair to these lads careers whether it be with Albion or elsewhere.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1028 on: February 07, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
We do look as though we have a very talented group of players but the problem is we probably wont see Leko, Edwards, Tulloch or Rogers involved in a competitive game now for another six months when the first round of the carabao cups start, so the momentum of the last 10 days will of gone.

The likes of Edwards and Leko very rarely got near the first team for league games the first five months of the season, i cannot see that changing now we have signed another three players.

I believe they were both carrying knocks last night but they should of been loaned out and probably Tulloch too (Rogers at 16 is a bit too young), keeping them here for cup fixtures is pointless when we are now out by early February.

The only way these lads will have chance to fulfill their potential is by playing reguarly which they wont do with us, i think Sam Field has suffered massively due to not going out and playing on loan, i am desperate for him to do well, he seems a nice lad, Albion fan, but he is 21 in May and is no closer to being a regular than he was when he broke on the scene three years ago,  Leko the same.

Our whole loan system has to be reviewed because training every day and playing for the under 23's a couple of times a month is not fair to these lads careers whether it be with Albion or elsewhere.
Mostly fair points. I do though think Sam Field after the last 3 weeks is closer to being a regular than he's ever been. He could have been left out on Saturday but Moore seems to be applying the 'the shirt is yours to lose' principle to him and Harper which is good to see (whether they play Saturday after last night's exertions is another matter). Also Edwards - it sounded like there was a loan to Coventry setup but given Barnes and Sako had gone and Phillips injured, we couldn't really let him go until the 3 deadline day signings were finally done which was very late in the day - too late to get Edwards out it seems.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1029 on: February 07, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »
I don't like to get carried away with young players and some of the hype that goes on but do follow the under 23's online and the odd game I see .
Tonight against Brighton was a huge step up from the Under 23's and these lads have really shown something , there's some serious potential there in 3 or 4 of them .
I know ( and agree in some respects ) many are annoyed with DM for using both Cups as a testing ground for the youngsters but overall our main aim doesn't involve those competitions .
Not saying I'd want this every season but it's done a lot of good this year.

I agree entirely, I think it has also benefitted Field massively, so hard to give the youngsters game time when you are fighting relegation from the Premier League or fighting for promotion.

I think the recent history of our young players leaving for the top teams and their relative failure having done so will hopefully encourage them to stick with us and hopefully benefit both us and them.
George Thorne has slipped to much lower level and Izzy Brown is continually injured (like Thorne) and hardly pulling up any trees in the Championship.
Baggie in Southampton

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1030 on: February 09, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
Youth side have knocked Arsenal out of the FA Youth Cup on their own pitch !

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1031 on: February 09, 2019, 03:57:39 PM »
Youth side have knocked Arsenal out of the FA Youth Cup on their own pitch !

Not sure if this justifies Wednesday but it's an achievement nonetheless.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1032 on: February 09, 2019, 03:59:25 PM »

Not sure if this justifies Wednesday but it's an achievement nonetheless.
Haven't seen the line up yet , better idea then .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1033 on: February 09, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »
Massive achievement!

E&S saying the quarter final is likely at the Hawthorns against Everton or Brighton.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1034 on: February 09, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »
Huge achievement, Arsenal were MASSIVE favourites to win the entire tournament. Their team is top to bottom England youth stars.

First time we've made the quarter final in decades, and with the team we have we have a shot of winning it. Hopefully they get a decent attendance at the Hawthorns for the quarter final.

Jamie Soule (who seems to be really stepping up this year and may well be the next player we see getting his chance in the first team) and Finn Azaz with the goals.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1035 on: February 09, 2019, 08:32:18 PM »
Huge achievement, Arsenal were MASSIVE favourites to win the entire tournament. Their team is top to bottom England youth stars.

First time we've made the quarter final in decades, and with the team we have we have a shot of winning it. Hopefully they get a decent attendance at the Hawthorns for the quarter final.

Jamie Soule (who seems to be really stepping up this year and may well be the next player we see getting his chance in the first team) and Finn Azaz with the goals.
What brilliant news, well done lads
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1036 on: February 10, 2019, 01:57:29 PM »
This was our under 18's team that beat, favorites for the competition, Arsenal

ALBION: Griffiths, White (Gardner-Hickman 62), Martinez, Ferguson, Harmon; Brown, Solanke; Tulloch (Asomugha 82), Azaz, Rogers, Soule.

Goal Scores: Goals Jamie Soule and Finn Azaz

Substitutes: Cann, Delaney, Taylor.

Well done lads, you make us proud!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1037 on: February 10, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »
Well done lads great achievement

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1038 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:36 PM »
3-1 win over Sunderland tonight

Two from Jamie Soule and one from Rayhaan Tulloch, Morgan Rogers missing a penalty, good to see him having the confidence to take them, all good players miss one at times.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/february/albion-u23s-3-sunderland-u23s-1/

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1039 on: February 26, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
Anyone heading to the hawthorns tonight to watch the u18s in the FA Youth Cup against Everton (7pm Kick Off)

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1040 on: February 26, 2019, 10:37:46 AM »
Yes i am going but understand HSTH still have to pay £5 which i think is poor to be honest.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1041 on: February 26, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »
I might go. I have work at 11pm and it depends on what time I wake up, going to bed in a minute.

Dek1573

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1042 on: February 26, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »
Where can you park tonight thinking of going.

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1043 on: February 26, 2019, 07:39:30 PM »
Anyone got any updates?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1044 on: February 26, 2019, 07:40:57 PM »
Anyone got any updates?
losing 2-0 according to Twitter

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1045 on: February 26, 2019, 07:48:21 PM »
1-2 now

Tulloch '36

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1046 on: February 26, 2019, 07:51:43 PM »
Cheers lads

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1047 on: February 26, 2019, 07:59:55 PM »
At the game, its a good match, nice to see young lads playing with freedom.

Albion better side first 10 mins and last 10 mins, everton better side inbetween.

We were on top, we play out from the back but the centre half got caught (sound familiar!) their lad nicked it and buried it and their 2nd seemed to deflect and loop over the keeper.

We got back into it, couple of nice moves and then scored a really well worked goal through tulloch.

Morgan rogers is head and shoulders best player on the pitch, he really does look special, thought he was a striker but he is playing wide right. You can tell tulloch has something but he is trying to take everyone on and doesnt pass enough. The albion number 4 in centre midfield looks a good olayer, not sure his name though!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1048 on: February 26, 2019, 08:13:26 PM »
2 - 2

Solanke '48

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1049 on: February 26, 2019, 08:13:36 PM »
2-2
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.