Author Topic: a club unravelling  (Read 12071 times)

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

a club unravelling
« on: August 22, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
Watching from afar these days it seems to me our beloved club is on collision course for the championship. We seem to be unable to much of anything these days. Cant sell the club, cant sign players we want, cant sell players we need to get rid of , cant score a goal!! Watching and listening to TP´s press conference yesterday he did seem abit down but pleased that Fabrizio seemed likely to sign, what his demeanour would have been like at about 5.30pm i dread to think.
 Gut instinct and thats all it is is a feeling all is not well behind the scenes and that can only contribute to the downward spiral
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

Re: a club unravelling
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 11:57:44 AM »
Crikey. Don't go near any bridges today.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »
Watching from afar these days it seems to me our beloved club is on collision course for the championship. We seem to be unable to much of anything these days. Cant sell the club, cant sign players we want, cant sell players we need to get rid of , cant score a goal!! Watching and listening to TP´s press conference yesterday he did seem abit down but pleased that Fabrizio seemed likely to sign, what his demeanour would have been like at about 5.30pm i dread to think.
 Gut instinct and thats all it is is a feeling all is not well behind the scenes and that can only contribute to the downward spiral

Didn't concede either last week, made a club record signing who seems to be of a high caliber, signed Hull's player of the year according to many fans, signed a very good Arsenal winger on loan, signed two decent wingers from Wigan, haven't lost any of our players yet and if we do we'll make 25 million.

Yes we've played negative and yes we appear to have lost out on Fazio BUT it appears he moved the goal posts, should we just bow to his requests?!

We need to strengthen and i've no doubt we will.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »
The depressing posts seem to be a tad more understanding lately is one thing I will say unfortunately.

We won't go down under pulis for however long he stays but then I wouldn't expect to not with the money he's spent.

What worries me is we have a terrible record against teams around us look at qpr completely inept last season yet took 6 points off us. Hull away the 0-0 awful yet foster was parading about like we had won a cup  :D I can laugh now but in them games I assure you I didn't.

Pretty much our level now mate now lukaku, odemwingie, gera, player wise have moved on, manager wise uncle Roy, because of the finances from staying in the prem and young saido from the academy we have survived although we have and will balls that up on the berahino front.

It's all about staying in the league at all costs some fans love playing Liverpool, Chelsea, yanited etc that but it's slowly wearing thin on me I must say especially for the prices being asked.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
The depressing posts seem to be a tad more understanding lately is one thing I will say unfortunately.

We won't go down under pulis for however long he stays but then I wouldn't expect to not with the money he's spent.

What worries me is we have a terrible record against teams around us look at qpr completely inept last season yet took 6 points off us. Hull away the 0-0 awful yet foster was parading about like we had won a cup  :D I can laugh now but in them games I assure you I didn't.

Pretty much our level now mate now lukaku, odemwingie, gera, player wise have moved on, manager wise uncle Roy, because of the finances from staying in the prem and young saido from the academy we have survived although we have and will balls that up on the berahino front.

It's all about staying in the league at all costs some fans love playing Liverpool, Chelsea, yanited etc that but it's slowly wearing thin on me I must say especially for the prices being asked.

We played exactly the same under Hodgson as we do under Pulis. Some people seem to have elevated Hodgson to God status whilst completely forgetting how we actually played under him.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »
Like a lot of people im not happy with the way we have started, but remember we have spent £20M+ and still looking to buy more players. Fazio would have been another 5m. We need to start taking small risks rather than look to sit deep and hit on the counter. We have at the moment what could be concieved as an exellent strike force. But if the dont get given the service they cant score goals.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »
We played exactly the same under Hodgson as we do under Pulis. Some people seem to have elevated Hodgson to God status whilst completely forgetting how we actually played under him.

Away from home I would disagree I also believe Roy lead us to 10th something in which pulis is not capable of.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 01:00:27 PM »
We are in a state of transition after wasting the last couple of seasons. A lot of mistakes were made from a recruitment standpoint and the club from the top wasn't being managed as well as it had been in the past, it is going to take time to recover from all of that.

spyro

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 01:23:12 PM »
not really hodgeson played much better football, either by counter attacking or dominating a football match

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »

Fazio is not the first deal to go south on Pulis at the last minute nor will it be the last, there seems to be a group of fans on here are determined to project their anxiety onto Pulis. Whatever his short comings he is a veteran manager and he knows that he won't get every player he wants and some compromises have to be made but the club is backing him (£21m net spend and counting) and there is no doubt who is in charge of recruitment. He is of course not in charge of the budget but no manager is nor should they be.

Going down to the Championship? Possibly but that possibility never goes away for a club like us nor for any of the others in roughly the same position.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »
Saying we won't go down under Pulis is very complecent. There is a first for everything. Bigger and better clubs than ours have gone in the past.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »
anybody got some rope
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »
not really hodgeson played much better football, either by counter attacking or dominating a football match

I completely disagree, we had the occasional game where we dominated (as we have under Pulis), but for the majority of the season we were happy to sit back and watch other sides play and then nick games under Hodgson, exactly the same as we do under Pulis.

People seem to be forgetting the previous few seasons we have endured. I think we needed, and still need, Pulis to stabilise us after what has been an absolutely awful ≈24 months for us. And because of that I am willing to accept the lack of attacking intent for a season or so while we sort ourselves out.

spyro

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
I completely disagree, we had the occasional game where we dominated (as we have under Pulis), but for the majority of the season we were happy to sit back and watch other sides play and then nick games under Hodgson, exactly the same as we do under Pulis.

People seem to be forgetting the previous few seasons we have endured. I think we needed, and still need, Pulis to stabilise us after what has been an absolutely awful ≈24 months for us. And because of that I am willing to accept the lack of attacking intent for a season or so while we sort ourselves out.
well we have to disagree our football was never this bad, even when we tried to nick a game our footballl was still exciting through playing 3 or 4 passes which could cut through teams.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 02:45:49 PM »
There were plenty of highly dour games under Roy.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »
What a load of rubbish. Unravelling? How do you work that one out? Based on 2 matches and the fact we are showing more ambition in our transfer dealings than we ever have. We were unravelling under Irvine, Peace addressed this by giving control to Pulis and backing him. The fact we have just spent 12m on a player that will be worth double that in 12 months time pretty much rules out the unravelling theory on it's own but coupled with our results from January, it's just pure nonsense. Get a friggin' grip will you.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »
What a load of rubbish. Unravelling? How do you work that one out? Based on 2 matches and the fact we are showing more ambition in our transfer dealings than we ever have. We were unravelling under Irvine, Peace addressed this by giving control to Pulis and backing him. The fact we have just spent 12m on a player that will be worth double that in 12 months time pretty much rules out the unravelling theory on it's own but coupled with our results from January, it's just pure nonsense. Get a friggin' grip will you.

Agree
The club unravelled in the last 2 years and now we are trying to put 2 years of mismanagement right

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »
Complete nonsense.
Under Roy Hodgson we played some pretty ugly stuff at times, and the only time we 'dominated' was against relegation fodder at home. Away from home it was often Dorrans and Thomas on the wings who barely got forward, I wouldn't really call it counter attacking.

With regards to our current situation, you have to remember we've been given the hardest opening 3 games in the league (playing 1st and 2nd from last year). I imagine we will lost tomorrow (albeit a better game than City) and I just hope that our fans don't embarrass themselves and start crying 'relegation' this early.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »
Complete nonsense.
Under Roy Hodgson we played some pretty ugly stuff at times, and the only time we 'dominated' was against relegation fodder at home. Away from home it was often Dorrans and Thomas on the wings who barely got forward, I wouldn't really call it counter attacking.

With regards to our current situation, you have to remember we've been given the hardest opening 3 games in the league (playing 1st and 2nd from last year). I imagine we will lost tomorrow (albeit a better game than City) and I just hope that our fans don't embarrass themselves and start crying 'relegation' this early.
What about the 5-1 at the custard bowl and the 3-1 at St Andrews and the 2-1 at Vile Park have they been erased from history.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 10:16:33 AM »
What about the 5-1 at the custard bowl and the 3-1 at St Andrews and the 2-1 at Vile Park have they been erased from history.

That's a good point, I couldn't imagine us going anywhere away from home these days and winning 3-1 under Pulis never mind 5-1.
the regime don't like it man

Ukar1

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »
Who do you believe can get us regular 5 goals away then.. Hodgson apart who us very similar to Pulis.?

WednesburyAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 10:26:45 AM »
Won 2-0 at a bang in form Palace, won 1-0 at old Trafford. What do people want lol? Hodgson played decent away, but we was shocking at home most weeks. Wait until Pulis has had a good half a season with his players and then start criticising. We could beat Chelsea (again) like we did in that bore fest (3-0) last season.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
That's a good point, I couldn't imagine us going anywhere away from home these days and winning 3-1 under Pulis never mind 5-1.

Exactly. On the same point how refreshing was it to see Bournemouth yesterday. 4 goals away from home is tremendous and just goes to show that the so called weaker teams can succeed by being adventurous. They even went to Liverpool and took the game to them. Yes they lost that one but they will win plenty of games with their attitude. We will be hard pushed to score 4 goals away from home all season, never mind in 1 match. Yes TP will more than likely keep us up. So what. Football and our club is about more than that.

WednesburyAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 10:48:07 AM »
Exactly. On the same point how refreshing was it to see Bournemouth yesterday. 4 goals away from home is tremendous and just goes to show that the so called weaker teams can succeed by being adventurous. They even went to Liverpool and took the game to them. Yes they lost that one but they will win plenty of games with their attitude. We will be hard pushed to score 4 goals away from home all season, never mind in 1 match. Yes TP will more than likely keep us up. So what. Football and our club is about more than that.

Personally if I'm spending half a weeks wage going to an away game, the last thing I want to see is a side who can't defend. Bournemouth will go down, it's as simple as that. Teams like that usually have a good start but soon drop once sides start approaching them differently.

I cannot believe that people are moaning about Pulis, we would be in the championship I believe if he didn't come. He seems a good honest bloke, who has defensive methods at times. No manager will come in at propel us to the top 10 with exciting football. We get less than 25000 half the time. We're still pinching above our weight by all accounts as we have been the past 7 years.

In May we could be mid table, with a solid back 4, some good away wins under our belt, some good home performances too, with a striker who's being touted by some top clubs in Rondon.

A point at Watford was great. We could have beat them but we could have lost as well. I'm sure no one would have wanted us to be rock bottom without a point after 3 games and a -10 goal difference. That point was what we needed in the context of the season.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Personally if I'm spending half a weeks wage going to an away game, the last thing I want to see is a side who can't defend. Bournemouth will go down, it's as simple as that. Teams like that usually have a good start but soon drop once sides start approaching them differently.

I cannot believe that people are moaning about Pulis, we would be in the championship I believe if he didn't come. He seems a good honest bloke, who has defensive methods at times. No manager will come in at propel us to the top 10 with exciting football. We get less than 25000 half the time. We're still pinching above our weight by all accounts as we have been the past 7 years.

In May we could be mid table, with a solid back 4, some good away wins under our belt, some good home performances too, with a striker who's being touted by some top clubs in Rondon.

A point at Watford was great. We could have beat them but we could have lost as well. I'm sure no one would have wanted us to be rock bottom without a point after 3 games and a -10 goal difference. That point was what we needed in the context of the season.

If I'm spending half a week's wage on an away game then I want to be f*****g ENTERTAINED.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
Won 2-0 at a bang in form Palace, won 1-0 at old Trafford. What do people want lol? Hodgson played decent away, but we was shocking at home most weeks. Wait until Pulis has had a good half a season with his players and then start criticising. We could beat Chelsea (again) like we did in that bore fest (3-0) last season.

Palace had just made themselves safe and had nothing to play for. Look at their results from our game onwards,they were rubbish. Manchester United had over 70% possession, we did nothing. Chelsea had already won the league. You can't hide the fact that we are dire. Football is meant to be a sport, an entertainment, a very expensive one at that. If you want to sit and watch a business then you might as well just go down to Tesco's every Saturday afternoon and watch the tills ring.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »

I suspect Bournemouth will get relegated no surprise there really the newly promoted teams frequently do. I hope they don't because if they don't it will kick the Pulisball myth into touch forever (not that there isn't ample evidence to the contrary already)

If they will stay in the Division they will do so without being subsidised by their owner with a team that had we bought any of them last season they would have been condemned as being "Championship Players" by many on here. They will do so playing football which is good to watch and has attacking intent. Please do not tell me Pulisball is the only way or that our players are so limited they are incapable of playing any other way because it isn't true and Bournemouth's survival would nail the lie forever
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
Palace had just made themselves safe and had nothing to play for. Look at their results from our game onwards,they were rubbish. Manchester United had over 70% possession, we did nothing. Chelsea had already won the league. You can't hide the fact that we are dire. Football is meant to be a sport, an entertainment, a very expensive one at that. If you want to sit and watch a business then you might as well just go down to Tesco's every Saturday afternoon and watch the tills ring.

Thing is for a club like us now thats what it is, simply business, as long as we finish 17th each season then the suits are happy. Previous coaches couldn't guarantee it so Pulis was brought in due to his record of keeping clubs up to avoid the boardroom worry around Christmas time each year.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »

We played 'good football' under Mowbray and that got us absolutely nowhere. The only exception in recent years is Swansea but they have built themselves up with their philosophy over the last 10+ years.

Unfortunately people need to look at things realistically, we are never going to challenge the top of the PL and for us and 13 other teams its about getting to 40 points and going from there. Pulls has proved season after season he is able to achieve this target so I struggle to understand how anyone can lay into him.

That's what modern football has come down to, its rubbish but thats how it is.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »
Think it's the exact opposite people are trying to bring Roy down to Pulis's level to make him look good.
Roy's gone on to manage England the only chance Pulis has of international stardom with his brand of football is if Warren Gatland as a poor world cup.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »
We played 'good football' under Mowbray and that got us absolutely nowhere. The only exception in recent years is Swansea but they have built themselves up with their philosophy over the last 10+ years.

Unfortunately people need to look at things realistically, we are never going to challenge the top of the PL and for us and 13 other teams its about getting to 40 points and going from there. Pulls has proved season after season he is able to achieve this target so I struggle to understand how anyone can lay into him.

I totally accept that. What I'm struggling to come to terms with though is why it seems like it is only the Albion who have taken this dour, negative approach to achieving safety. If other bottom half sides can have a real go in games then why can't we? As Standaman mentioned in his post, I'd love Bournemouth to survive to show what can be achieved with a squad that were all Championship players and who play football with a positive,attacking approach.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 11:26:04 AM »

We played good football under Mowbray with an average standard of player. We lacked goals in the top flight when we had Beattie, Moore, Miller etc. leading the line. Be interesting to see a Mowbray team with a striker leading them (oh we did, SuperKev  and we won the Championship) and the quality of player that we are now able to attract.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »
If you read my quote, I said Hodgson dominated 'relegation fodder'. Both Birmingham and Wolves went down, with Villa being in a relegation scrap. For the record, I liked Hodgson, but he's not Corberan that many make out. Remember, Pulis also beat Chelsea 3-0 last year and I'm sure there will be other big results this year...which proves my point.