Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2535387 times)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
I think the reserves are littered with young talent, very few 1st team players playing in the stiffs but they are top of their league, very promising I would say, many of them have moved up from junior teams to the reserves and they are still competitive, can only bode well.
Baggie in Southampton

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »
The reserves is a start. Most teams play their youngsters in the reserves nowadays so our reserves doing well hints at the academy getting better. Villa often win the reserves league and it's no surprise that they produce so many players.

It's hard to tell how the academy is progressing as our youngsters are only just maturing into players now but I think this is a big year for them. A few of our players turn 20 in the next few months and will no longer be teenagers which can change your opinion about how young they really are. Players like Paul Downing, Romaine Sawyers, Lateef Elford Alliyu, Sam Mantom and Kayledon Brown all really have to get close to the first team or go out on loan this season like fellow age group players James Hurst and Chris Wood and impress if they are going to have a career here. To put that into perspective, Joe Mattock only a few months ago turned 21 and most had written him off a year ago.

Hopefully the players in the next age bracket like Thorne, Berahino, O Neil and Roofe also get close to the first team or a loan as they will be 19 before the season finishes and your only a youngster for so long.

We are making progress as a large number of the kids we release around that age now will have a football league career which is better than we were doing even 6 or so years ago but you just want things to speed up a bit now, be that doing something in the academy leagues and FA youth cup, doing something in the reserves or breaking into our or somebody else's first team.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:58:17 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 06:08:11 PM »
We are making progress. I have high hopes for the generation you mentioned Baggies. That team has been winning at each tier they have been playing. I am positive some of them will be able to play at the PL level. Hard to say exactly which ones yet, haven't seen enough of them all and the development paths and curves are so non-linear nearly always. But I like how comfortable they are on the ball and the way they play football.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
The next step for us is getting one of youngsters to shine in the Championship,a Thorne or a Mantom.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:32 AM »
The next step for us is getting one of youngsters to shine in the Championship,a Thorne or a Mantom.

??? How about Wood

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 10:41:42 AM »
??? How about Wood
I tend not to class him as home grown as he came over from NZ in his later teens although im impressed and pleased at how he has done both last season and this.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »
??? How about Wood

Wood is leading the way for our other youngsters which is great news but im hoping for our other youngsters when they get a loan move to impress with their general play rather than their goals. Wood has been brilliant at scoring goals but his fans at Blues seem to concede that when you take away the goals, he hasnt looked that good. Still only a teenager but turns 20 in the next few months and if your all round play isnt good enough at 20 in that league then you have a lot of work to do if your going to be a premier league regular. His movement seems to be brilliant though because despite never appearing to be brilliant, he still gets himself into the positions to score goals which is the first rule for a striker.
Boing Boing

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
Zigic is back from injury now and played some part today. I doubt Wood will be getting as much time now, unfortunately
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
Good luck to him, he will be in there sqaud to face Bradford on Saturday first ever experaince of playing senior football in front on ten thousand people.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:23:22 PM by Political Cake »
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

texisonfire

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »
Might be at that game as part of my course so will be interesting to see how he gets on
There are two great teams in the Black Country. West Bromwich Albion and West Bromwich Albion reserves.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »
Hopefully he plays and does well for them - his record at youth level and reserve level is superb.

dB

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
Hopefully he plays and does well for them - his record at youth level and reserve level is superb.

Absolutely. Be very interesting to see if he can replicate it. Hope so, looks a cracking player at the minute.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »
Of all our kids this is the big one for me, his record at age group levels is phenomenal, I think he'll score for fun in the lower leagues.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »
I agree with that. He seems to have fitted in and excelled at every level, making the step up every time. With Wood scoring for fun at blues hopefully Saido can score in 1st team games too and we'll have home grown talent coming through sooner than later.

katadamick

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »
You can see it now big boot up front wood flicks it on berahino runs on the end of ot goal simples. Or am i dreaming  8)

Mulumbu99

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2011, 09:29:38 PM »
Credit where credit's due, the lad was one of he few players to emerge from the latest debacle with any credit at all.  He may not have got or created many chances but he worked hard and showed a nice touch and a bit of promise for the future. What I liked about him is he seems to be a "winner". Sadly, not in the getting-three-points sense today, but in the way Mr Atkins used to label players. He kept going and going, chasing after the ball when it went out of play to get play going again while we still had a chance. He really didn't want to lose today and that is an attitude that will hopefully rub off on a few of our other players.

quote from one of there forums... played 90 mins, lost 2-1 at bradford.

Mulumbu99

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »
just scored against hereford... losing 2-1.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2011, 12:33:19 PM »
just scored against hereford... losing 2-1.

Is that a goal on debut? Just checked the Northampton page on the BBC and it was his second start.

Really have high hopes for this kid. Would love to see an Albion first XI with two or three regular players who have come through the academy (Berahino, Thorne and maybe Sawyers or Elford Alliyu)

On a personal note I want Romaine to do well as I taught his cousin about 12 years ago and some time later he saw me outside of school and told me to watch out for Romaine at the albion.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:42:08 PM by Londonbaggymike »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2011, 12:46:35 PM »
Is that a goal on debut? Just checked the Northampton page on the BBC and it was his second start.

Really have high hopes for this kid. Would love to see an Albion first XI with two or three regular players who have come through the academy (Berahino, Thorne and maybe Sawyers or Elford Alliyu)

On a personal note I want Romaine to do well as I taught his cousin about 12 years ago and some time later he saw me outside of school and told me to watch out for Romaine at the albion.

Berahino started on Saturday as well so it was his second game last night.

Romaine Sawyers scored in the Birmingham Senior Cup game against Redditch Utd last night.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »
Berahino started on Saturday as well so it was his second game last night.

Romaine Sawyers scored in the Birmingham Senior Cup game against Redditch Utd last night.

Cheers for that. I'd noticed the first point and editted my post.

Sawyers scoring put him in mind  as I'd checked the OS earlier. Always read about the reserves and kids as I'd love to see some home grown talent coming through. Should start to see this soon as we've had academy status for quite a while now.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
He has scored his second goal of the day.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »
Well thats 3 in 4 I think so as long as he keeps up his goalscoring record he is moving forward. Id have liked to see him tested at league 1 rather than league 2 but there is lots of time for that to happen and more goals at this level can only be a good thing.
Boing Boing

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »
25 yarder his first one today. :)

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15613944.stm

His two goals are in that video. Two very nice finishes.