Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2554939 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #350 on: October 07, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
He COULD be really good for us , on the other hand remember Neil Mellor, Rob Hulse, Micheal Rickets etc etc , they were all going to be the next...
If anyone came anywhere near 6m now id rip their arm off , yes he scored a goal against Man Utd, but so did Kenny miller ?.
id love him to stay and develop but if he has his head swayed then lets get a decent price.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #351 on: October 07, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »
I'd put him on a performance related deal, with basic wages rising in stages over time, while appearance and goal bonuses rise with volume. Give him something to shoot for.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #352 on: October 07, 2013, 03:49:52 PM »
Improved wages in line with lower end first team squad members, goal and app bonus and same "staying up" bonus as the others. The "staying up" bonus should be a given this year and very sizeable. That and a contract review after one or two seasons and he'd be mad to leave a club that is turning him into a star of the future.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #353 on: October 07, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
It is difficult balance to strike. Plainly we need to offer him enough so he is happy to commit to a three or four year deal but not so much as we end up stuck with an expensive player who has not developed as we would all hope. If he does fill his undoubted potential we all know that longer term we might struggle to hold onto him but it is absolutely critical when that time comes the club is in a strong contractual position. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies54

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #354 on: October 07, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
Everyone seems keen on Saido and agree that we need to hang on to him, most are saying he is not the finished article but where do you think he needs to improve to make strides to becoming said finished article?
"Scientific criticism has no nobler task than to shatter false beliefs".......

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #355 on: October 07, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Everyone seems keen on Saido and agree that we need to hang on to him, most are saying he is not the finished article but where do you think he needs to improve to make strides to becoming said finished article?

For me it's more a question of experience rather than needing to improve on anything per se. With more experience he will become a more rounded player. Hopefully he'll learn different things from each of our strikers.

He's a very exciting prospect and I'm glad he's ours.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #356 on: October 07, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »

There is a lot to happen in the next few years in terms of his development much of it mental as much as physical.  I hate to make comparisons with Luke Moore but at the age of 20 he looked like a real prospect but he failed to train on, often I witnessed flashes of ability when he was with us but his overall game pretty much crumbled to mediocrity by the time he left.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #357 on: October 07, 2013, 06:35:51 PM »
It is difficult balance to strike. Plainly we need to offer him enough so he is happy to commit to a three or four year deal but not so much as we end up stuck with an expensive player who has not developed as we would all hope. If he does fill his undoubted potential we all know that longer term we might struggle to hold onto him but it is absolutely critical when that time comes the club is in a strong contractual position.
Tricky indeed. As we know agents have heavy influence unfortunately. Would be nice to offer say 10k then increments year by year performance related....BUT...Think we have to offer enough to avoid the agent saying 'I can get you twice that somewhere else'. Anything up to 30k I would think...he doesn't seem the type to get complacent.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #358 on: October 07, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »
Listening to Clarkes pre match interview yesterday he was les than impressed by Berahino's agent and more or less said so.
I'm sure the club are well aware of what they need to do here and will act accordingly.

Agreed!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #359 on: October 07, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
He COULD be really good for us , on the other hand remember Neil Mellor, Rob Hulse, Micheal Rickets etc etc , they were all going to be the next...
If anyone came anywhere near 6m now id rip their arm off , yes he scored a goal against Man Utd, but so did Kenny miller ?.
id love him to stay and develop but if he has his head swayed then lets get a decent price.

and do what with it?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #360 on: October 07, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »
and do what with it?

Take him to the hospital I would hope.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #361 on: October 07, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
After the last few weeks it is easy to forget that at the start of the season particularly after the deadline day signings Berhahino was a long way down the pecking order. There was probably more chance of him being loaned out rather than breaking through into the first team in that context with two years left to run on his current deal there was no pressing need to throw money at a player whose chances of making it at Premier League level were no better than 50:50.
See the point but he's been highly regarded at the club and on the England under 21 radar for a while now - I remember Trevor Brooking mentioning Thorne and Saido in despatches at some stage last season.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #362 on: October 08, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
I'd take 6 million and lukaku for saide fare price me thinks

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #363 on: October 08, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »
That is a total of £24 Million... that's maybe a tad over the top.

Philly88

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #364 on: October 09, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »
That is a total of £24 Million... that's maybe a tad over the top.

Yeah but they can pay for Izzy Brown while they're at it... With interest
Let's bring back Micky Evans... thats a good idea

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #365 on: October 10, 2013, 08:44:33 PM »

You can't seriously think that's a fair price?
"You'll never get past Claudio"

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #366 on: October 10, 2013, 09:31:50 PM »
Didnt play tonight for the U21s...mixed blessings really...dont want his profile raised too much mire but in the other hand goals would have given even more confidence...

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #367 on: October 10, 2013, 09:34:53 PM »
Didnt play tonight for the U21s...mixed blessings really...dont want his profile raised too much mire but in the other hand goals would have given even more confidence...

I don't think so, San Marino were just woeful no match at all so I agree with the first part that it's a good thing Saido was rested and didn't take part in this turkey shoot.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #368 on: October 11, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
Now Arsenal are interested according to the Independent I wish his agent would give it a rest

West Bromwich Albion striker Saido Berahino is reportedly a target for Arsene Wenger after his good start to the season with both his club and England Under-21s.

Arsenal have recovered from the opening day defeat to Aston Villa to sit top of the Premier League table, having gone on an eleven-match unbeaten streak in all competitions. However, striker Olivier Giroud has started 10 of those, and the Gunners look dangerously thin in attack should anything happen to the Frenchman.

Having seen Berahino score against his side in the Capital One Cup third round, in which Arsenal triumphed via a penalty shootout, Wenger has added Berahino to a list of January transfer targets that he could make a move for to strengthen their title assault.

Berahino was playing among the Baggies’ reserves come the start of the season, although he was given a chance to impress by manager Steve Clarke having scored twice in three under-21 games.

He wasted no time in announcing his arrival in the first team, netting a hat-trick on his debut against Newport County in the second round. He then went on to score the winner against Premier League champions Manchester United at Old Trafford to give West Brom their first win at the Theatre of Dreams since 1978.

Clarke is hopeful that Berahino will sign a new contract with the club, which will be a significant increase on his current £850-a-week basic salary, although West Brom are looking to tie-up the deal sooner rather than later with his current contract set to expire in the summer.

However, the board are prepared to reward Berahino for what they see is a deserving offer for his good form, and they will attempt to fend off potential suitors, including Arsenal, from taking him at the end of the season by paying a minimal compensation fee due to his young age.

Clarke gave the Burundi-born Berahino his league debut in the 1-1 draw with the Gunners last weekend, and he looks set for a long run in the Baggies first team which will go a long way to swaying his decision to remain at the club.

"He's under contract with West Brom until the end of next season, so we've got plenty of time to sort out Saido's future," said Clarke.

"He's a sensible boy. He understands that all the rewards and riches come with hard work and he has to just concentrate on his football and let other people worry about his contract situation and whatever.

"Saido has got a big future in the game and all he can do now is work hard and make sure he is still a top player in ten years' time."

Clarke will still be wary though having already suffered frustration in his bid to keep another home-grown Albion player, after Chelsea signed highly-rated midfielder Isaiah Brown in the summer – although the deal is due to go before a tribunal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-west-brom-striker-saido-berahino-attracting-interest-from-arsenal-manager-arsene-wenger-8874635.html

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #369 on: October 11, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »
He seems like he is well grounded and I get the feeling he wouldn't have his head turned by a move to a big club. Perhaps Scott Sinclair could advise of the folly of a move to a big club?

Reddiebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #370 on: October 11, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »
He is contracted until the end of next season, unless Arsenal offer silly money he can stay at the Baggies until then on £850pw unless he signs a new contract. What have we got to lose.

sportygirlwba

« Reply #371 on: October 11, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »
So far this season and for the England under 21's Saido Berahino has been playing amazing!

He has scored like 5 goals in 6 games and been very creative and has been very productive in the United, Arsenal and Sunderland matches.

Many clubs will be interested in Berahaino so therefore Albion need to sign him on a longer contract so if a club does bid it will have to be a large sum of money to gem him to leave.

Heard Arsenal are already interested????!!!!!

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #372 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »
FFS  can you guys not see what's in front of you? Or I'd this a lack of historical perspective? IMHO this guy has the potential to be bigger than PO and he reminds me a lot of Laurie hesitate to say so because of the pressure. But comparisons with Luke pooh do me  a favour !

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #373 on: October 12, 2013, 12:13:08 AM »
FFS  can you guys not see what's in front of you? Or I'd this a lack of historical perspective? IMHO this guy has the potential to be bigger than PO and he reminds me a lot of Laurie hesitate to say so because of the pressure. But comparisons with Luke pooh do me  a favour !

Okay if you don't like the comparison with Luke Moore  how about Nugent, Darbyshire, Lita and Vaughn who were the forwards that England under 21's took to the 2007 European Championship who at that stage of their careers were attracting rave reviews but have hardly set the world alight since for whatever reason.

The point being is all we have seen from Sadio is a few good games it has not been sustained for a season let alone two. I do not doubt he has potential but the worse thing to do with a young player is over-hype them and mentioning him in the same breath as Cunningham and Odemwingie is certainly that. Lets see how he does over the next couple of years if he continues to develop then maybe those sort of comparisons become legitimate. 

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #374 on: October 12, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »
Okay if you don't like the comparison with Luke Moore  how about Nugent, Darbyshire, Lita and Vaughn who were the forwards that England under 21's took to the 2007 European Championship who at that stage of their careers were attracting rave reviews but have hardly set the world alight since for whatever reason.

The point being is all we have seen from Sadio is a few good games it has not been sustained for a season let alone two. I do not doubt he has potential but the worse thing to do with a young player is over-hype them and mentioning him in the same breath as Cunningham and Odemwingie is certainly that. Lets see how he does over the next couple of years if he continues to develop then maybe those sort of comparisons become legitimate.
Well I'll trust my own eyes and judgement. I knew the quality of PO inside 90 minutes. Laurie inside 20. If I'd waited 2 years he'd already have been in a plane to Madrid! This boy has the right mental makeup
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:06:14 PM by OldburyWBA »