Author Topic: Experiences meeting players/managers.  (Read 8735 times)

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

Re: Experiences meeting players/managers.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 07:40:16 AM »
Met James Morrison in a restaurant in NYC. He was sat a few tables over and I waited for the right time to go say hello. I mentioned it was my girlfriends birthday and after he paid the bill him and his Mrs came over and sat at our table and had a chat. Terrific guy. This was about 5 years ago.
Also had a night out with Victor Anichebe - his ex-girlfriend is my friend, we went out in NYC for her birthday party. He was friendly but didn't really want to talk about football at all - this was a few weeks before he went to Sunderland. Anyway, he was a top bloke and got me hammered, he was pouring vodka and pineapple drinks all night at his table. Good times.

Played heardy.
O Albion we love you

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 07:59:31 AM »
used to do penny for the guy outside the Four in Hand when I was a nipper, the Albion players were all generous in their donations and made a killing until Willie Johnston chucked the guy on the roof.
used to live in farmhouse way in great bar near the training ground and just before we played Portsmouth away in the Invasion match the players were jogging around the streets, my Mrs ended up making cups of tea for most of them, when they'd finished super Bob said if the gaffer comes along tell him we ay stopped.
met Big Dave the day before he signed for us, shook his hand welcoming him to the club, what a quiet humble man that's become a true legend.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 08:32:47 PM »
used to see players in all the pubs around west brom,
4 in hand, Joker, Star & Garter, Globe, Miners club Hamstead ..... Willie, Cantello, AllyRob, Asa, Robbo, also
Used to see Cyrille in bar of Hotel on Junction 1 (not drinking)

AA ver accessible back then, especially to the "ladies"
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Bakeyaface

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 10:11:28 AM »
Was St George's Day about 2004 I think and Bob Taylor and his Wife came into a pub in West Bromwich near Sandwell Hospital (can't remember the name) and we were all pretty tanked at that point, he had just come out for a quiet pint/meal with his Mrs

So after he finished we started to sing his name and he came over and chatted to us, his Mrs gave that look of 'right you'll be here a while so i'll head home' and she laughed and went home.

I'd say he was there about 2 hours just talking about his love for the club and the area/fans, and insisted he paid for his own pints because in his words we should keep our hard earned money and spend it on ourselves. Very humble guy.

When told he was a legend like such people as Astle, Regis, Brown he said he never sees himself like that but appreciated it.

Just talked about famous goals and games and things like that and left.....

Then the Barman came over and said he'd stuck £100 behind the bar for us all.

Absolute Gent and Legend and that experience just solidified it. True Hero.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »
Bob Taylor was a special guest at a wedding I went to some years ago. I met him and he was really great to talk to. Discussed great goals and then started telling jokes to each other which was brilliant. He then went and circulated, and I was really chuffed after when he came and found me to tell me a couple of more jokes! Had my photo taken with him which proudly sits in my hallway.

A top bloke and a gent...... 
MAGA!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Super bob was always my hero growing, i was a striker, i wore number 9 and we had the same surname!

Going back about 16 years or so, i met him on a non matchday when i was walking from Halfords lane round to the East stand, i was about 21 / 22 at the time but the inner kid in me was so excited to see him! He was crossing the road by the Halfords lane and he walked round to the East Stand with me (think he was getting something himself!) and he was just so normal and nice, very down to earth, a good laugh and he just cemented himself as my Albion hero!

Saw lot of Jensen, Hughsie, AJ on various nights out, remember seeing Mcinnes, Hoult, Jensen, Hughsie, AJ and a few others out just before the first season back in the premier league, they were having a few beers, wasnt going to disturb them but all seemed really decent blokes to anyone who approached them, the irony was the next day in the sunday mercury Megson had done a bit saying the players didnt drink as they wanted to give themselves the best chance in the premier league!

On a side note, i saw Lee Hendrie and Gareth Barry out in solihull years ago and saw Lee Hendrie get punched because he kept trying to crack on to some woman who was out with her bloke! To be fair Gareth Barry seemed a really decent bloke and was smoothing it over.

Saw loads of footballers in Ayia Napa back in the early 00's, i have never been one for approaching famous people, and there were that many you stopped paying attention! One that did stick out was Kieron Dyer, stood by him at a burger bar on the beach and all of a sudden loads of people surrounded him, i was raging as my burger took ages! But he was very polite and when they went he told me knew half of them didnt have a clue who he was and were just hangers on, said it had got too much and he was getting a early flight home, felt quite sorry for him, but didnt want to chat too long as had finally got my burger!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 11:02:32 AM »
Saw Quashie in Merry Hill a few years back with his son (son was wearing a wba tracksuit).

Saw Gera in the mailbox - didn't want to say anything as he seemed in a bit of a rush.

Seen Matt Phillips last year at Marlyebone train station having his ticket checked.

Met Rickie Lambert at Sandwell hospital a couple of Christmas's ago. My daughter was in there and it was around the time the players come in with presents, he spent a good 10-15 minutes in our room talking about his kids etc, lovely bloke.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »
Bob Taylor attended a charity function of ours. Great to have him as a guest.

Quashie, Albrechson, Curtis Davies all used to frequent Walsall on Thursday night in the Robson era. This ground to a halt as soon as Mowbray was appointed.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 11:17:42 AM »
Met Darren at the airport in May, just after he got the gig, and he was everything I imagined he'd be, friendly, polite, chatty, humble and more than happy to chat and have a photo. He was actually running late for his flight so I was chatting to his wife for a bit, who was also really lovely and obviously really proud of him and told me how hard he had worked to get this opportunity. When Darren finally rocked up they were the last ones on but despite this, and a few stern words from his wife, he still stopped for a couple of photos with me and my family.
Absolutely top bloke and i am proud to have him lead my club. Hope beyond hope that he is successful with us and is at the helm for many years to come.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 12:59:48 PM »
I bumped into Tony Brown in the old Tesco in Walsall. He was kind enough to stop for a chat and a handshake.

I also saw Zoltan Gera in the Bull Ring HMV one evening after a match, during his second spell. He was injured at the time. He saw my shirt and smiled, but I didn't trouble him.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »
I’m abit nervous about writing this one but I was a copper in a certain part of birmingham and gave a villa captain 2 seatbelt infringements for his kids not wearing seatbelts in the back. He was livid especially when I asked him his occupation. Very cocky. Longtime ago though, he was ex baggies aswell but was a waste of time for us.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »
I’m abit nervous about writing this one but I was a copper in a certain part of birmingham and gave a villa captain 2 seatbelt infringements for his kids not wearing seatbelts in the back. He was livid especially when I asked him his occupation. Very cocky. Longtime ago though, he was ex baggies aswell but was a waste of time for us.

I bet you knew exactly what his occupation was aswell  ;)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 04:12:26 PM »

Townsend.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

andibaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2018, 09:02:52 PM »
Here's a random one, Lee Hendries old man used to play golf at a Birmingham municipal course I used to do work experience at, we used to have some god banter, I hated the Villa even as a kid.

Lee Hendry pulled up alongside us when we were walking home from college in his Porsch, some horrible blue colour as I remember it and offered the pretty young ladies we were walking with (18 years old) a lift home. The girls declined, he was well known locally, went to Park Hall School in Castle Bromwich, same school as us. Another useless bit of info was Carl Ikeme went to the same school, he was in the year below me and knocked about with the same circle of friends, he was a man mountain at 15 years old.

We had a few footballers from our school, another one was Luke Rodgers who went on to play with Thierry Henry at New York Red Bulls.

We gave him dogs abuse when the girls said no, it included some very choice language and a few pooh on the Villas, he didn't bite at all.

Another one, we used to play footie with Jamie Ward on Kingshurst up until we were 17, lived next door to my aunt as kids so knew of him from an early age, didn't expect him to have as good a career as he has.

It's important to remember, most of the British lads come from the same upbringings as most of us, I really believe this is why they should all do their best to remain humble.

Baggiessssssssssssssssssssssssssss....

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 05:39:03 AM »
I bet you knew exactly what his occupation was aswell  ;)

Yep 👍

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 05:39:35 AM »

baggiedom

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 05:50:19 AM »
Delivered sofa to gardsoe and greening he did his double garage up so kids on his estate could use sofa tv games etc. Down to earth bloke tea biscuits chatted for ages top bloke

spoonzwba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
Played in a charity game with Super Bob and Sneekes about 4 years ago...

Scored the goal of my life (there weren't many) and super bob came and congratulated me. Felt 11 years old at that point! Great bloke.