Michael O'Neill
Gary Megson
Martin O'Neill
Paul Cook
Tony Mowbray
Slaven Bilic
Nigel Pearson
A.N. Other please state

Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 329525 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: New Manager
« Reply #575 on: April 12, 2018, 11:13:28 PM »
Kluivert?? Where did that come from?? I'd certainly be 100% confident in him playing good attacking football. He learned his football at Ajax and it's taken as read that anybody associated with the Ajax coaching staff subscribes to that. The problems with their coachs are more to do with the defensive game. They believe in playing such a high line they are always vulnerable to counter attacks. And, winning in the Championship is also about showing grit and determination on a freezing night in Barnsley. Also he was assistant to Dutch national boss van Gaal, and alot of people found v Gaal's football a bit sterile.  However, if it turns out to be Kluivert, I'd be genuinely excited about a new football style with lots of flair and seeing who he was able to attract to the club.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #576 on: April 12, 2018, 11:17:43 PM »
There is of course every chance that Kluivert is being touted for the DoF role? he was in a simialr role at PSG last year.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2018, 11:42:56 PM »
Seen on another site that when Terraneo was at Fenerbache, Vitor Pereira was the manager.
Terraneo has been employed to help source a new manager, Pereira is now managing in China.
This guy was also lined with the dog heads before Nuno.

I just feel his appointment is targeted, six month contract to get the manager the club want and help him settle. Your post probably hit the nail on the head.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #578 on: April 13, 2018, 12:55:22 AM »
https://sportbild.bild.de/bundesliga/vereine/bayern-muenchen/niko-kovac-bosse-trainer-heynckes-nachfolge-55376430.sport.html

I see my first choice, Nico Kovacs, has just been snapped up by Bayern Munich.  If only I'd flagged him up 6 months ago. ;D
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #579 on: April 13, 2018, 01:16:02 AM »
My rule of thumb with the betting market is until someone goes odds on then there is nothing to it. Just a few media outlets putting two and two together sent McCarthy to 3/1 and the Kluivert rumour seems to have followed a similar pattern.

The prospect of Kluivert arriving is interesting setting aside my major reservations about his lack of experience having someone with that background is potentially exciting.

Essentially the Dutch school of coaching has split into two camps. Both are possession orientated and typically favouring a 4-3-3. However one has regressed into a passive rather defensive approach typified by Van Gaal whereas the other represented by Peter Bosz is much more dynamic. Where Kluivert sits on this spectrum is anyone's guess although he worked with Van Gaal for the Netherlands national team but that doesn't make him a carbon copy of him.

In any event it is light years away from the previous two incumbents or Mick McCarthy. Yes I have nagging doubts but I'd rather be speculating about this than pondering the prospects under another old school dinosaur.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #580 on: April 13, 2018, 05:28:03 AM »
My rule of thumb with the betting market is until someone goes odds on then there is nothing to it. Just a few media outlets putting two and two together sent McCarthy to 3/1 and the Kluivert rumour seems to have followed a similar pattern.

The prospect of Kluivert arriving is interesting setting aside my major reservations about his lack of experience having someone with that background is potentially exciting.

Essentially the Dutch school of coaching has split into two camps. Both are possession orientated and typically favouring a 4-3-3. However one has regressed into a passive rather defensive approach typified by Van Gaal whereas the other represented by Peter Bosz is much more dynamic. Where Kluivert sits on this spectrum is anyone's guess although he worked with Van Gaal for the Netherlands national team but that doesn't make him a carbon copy of him.

In any event it is light years away from the previous two incumbents or Mick McCarthy. Yes I have nagging doubts but I'd rather be speculating about this than pondering the prospects under another old school dinosaur.
;D Believe me if we get Kluivert we will be singing to the "new" Barcelona...he has pedigree and will attract many good Dutch,French and Italian players eager to take The Baggies back to the Prem in much better shape. :D

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #581 on: April 13, 2018, 06:51:33 AM »
There is of course every chance that Kluivert is being touted for the DoF role? he was in a simialr role at PSG last year.

I also think this, I could most definitely be wrong but with what Jenkins said about scoring goals and changing the culture I think the club are going to be placing more emphasis on the dof to find a manager who share’s the same football philosophy and to find players who will be comfortable playing in that system. Coming from Ajax Kluivert certainly has that football philosophy engrained in him and you’d also think he would have good contacts within the game.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #582 on: April 13, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
Really not sure about this re Kluivert, can't see him coming in as boss/coach.

I'm all for fresh and new but this seems a bit way out there to me.

I'd also be amazed if he were considered for the permanent DoF role.

This would represent a very uncharacteristically wild card move by Jenkins.

Not wearing this one for the mo'.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #583 on: April 13, 2018, 10:36:02 AM »
Really not sure about this re Kluivert, can't see him coming in as boss/coach.

I'm all for fresh and new but this seems a bit way out there to me.

I'd also be amazed if he were considered for the permanent DoF role.

This would represent a very uncharacteristically wild card move by Jenkins.

Not wearing this one for the mo'.

You don't think RDM, Steve Clarke, Pepe Mel or Alan Irvine were wild cards?
The only safe hands we have employed in recent times were Hodgson and Pulis.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #584 on: April 13, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »
You don't think RDM, Steve Clarke, Pepe Mel or Alan Irvine were wild cards?
The only safe hands we have employed in recent times were Hodgson and Pulis.

Yes they were wild cards to a degree. But to me appointing Kluivert would be the equivalent of throwing a whole deck of them in the air and hoping for four aces to land in a pile. Although at a lower level RDM and Newton were carving out a decent reputation for their football and approach to games. Steve Clarke was a widely respected, up and coming coach with a desire to progress. He was and presumably is still hungry.

Alan Irvine most likely wasn't the choice of anyone but the board, but that all depends on what you're looking for. The remit for his appointment was that of a coach to work under a DoF. Irvine is a very good coach who in a sense fulfilled the criteria they were looking for. Whether we agreed with the move or not there was a certain logic to his appointment, so perhaps not such a wild card after all. Unfortunately his in game management was shocking and those above him were inept. Pepe Mel was unknown to most if not all of us, but the club had approached him before and there was a clear logic behind his appointment too. The board thought we needed to take teams on and for 'those in the know' he again had a track record for doing exactly that.

Kluivert on the other hand was an exceptional player with a very questionable temperament both on and off the field. He was a loose cannon back then and from what I can find he has very limited experience in terms of both management and being a DoF. Yes he still retains that famous name and the memory of those wonderful goals, but I doubt we'd be signing him as a centre forward. It all sounds a little too romantic for me at this stage, and I'm not sure Jenkins is a flowers on the pillow kind of chap. I'm not saying 'steer clear as he'll be a disaster', just that for a numbers man with reputedly little love for the game itself, Kluivert represents gamble bordering on a flight of fantasy for Jenkins. Hence why I'm not wearing any links to Kluivert at this stage.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #585 on: April 13, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
if its the choice between McCarthy `and Kluivert I know who I want.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #586 on: April 13, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »
If we are suggesting a Dutch theme for Head Coach, does Frank de Boer have a job yet?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #587 on: April 13, 2018, 10:40:47 PM »
if its the choice between McCarthy `and Kluivert I know who I want.

Yep agree. Mick has proven Championship experience. Good choice  ;D

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #588 on: April 14, 2018, 08:22:43 AM »
If we are suggesting a Dutch theme for Head Coach, does Frank de Boer have a job yet?

Frank De Boer is available but I would very much doubt he'd take a job in the Championship, although that said after his last 2 fairly rapid dismissals from Inter and Palace (19 games between them) his career might need a reboot. Again another high profile name that would be seen as a bit of coup but would leave me with nagging doubts his last years at Ajax were very reminiscent of Van Gaal at United, Palace was an unmitigated disaster but 5 games is just too few to give a new coach.

Inter wasn't great but again he only had 15 games and in defence Inter have changed the manager 4 times since he left in November 2016.

As with Kluivert and Seedorf (even more so) while these are great ex-players I'm not sure they are going to be great coaches although at least De Boers career got off to a good start. The best of that generation I think might be Van Bronckhurst and Phillip Cocou both doing well at Feyenoord and PSV respectively. Obviously neither would be remotely realistic for us in the Championship.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:02:45 AM by Standaman »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #589 on: April 14, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »
Frank De Boer is available but I would very much doubt he'd take a job in the Championship, although that said after his last 2 fairly rapid dismissals from Inter and Palace (19 games between them) his career might need a reboot. Again another high profile name that would be seen as a bit of coup but would leave me with nagging doubts his last years at Ajax were very reminiscent of Van Gaal at United, Palace was an unmitigated disaster but 5 games is just too few to give a new coach.

Inter wasn't great but again he had 15 games and in defence Inter have changed the manager 4 times since he left in November 2016.

de Boer would be the opposite of a coup and should never work in England again.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #590 on: April 14, 2018, 09:15:04 AM »

de Boer would be the opposite of a coup and should never work in England again.

I've expanded on my earlier post but I think fans and media are still seduced by the name and as such their reputation as players carries them into jobs and they are seen as good appointments. I have my doubts but to say De Boer should never work again in England is way over the top particularly when you consider Pardew has 300 plus games under his belt.

In the context of Kluivert being an unlikely favourite for the Albion job I think I would rather have De Boer who at least has 4 years Head Coach experience on his CV. However given there is nothing concrete linking either to the job it's kind of academic. 

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: April 14, 2018, 01:13:35 PM »
For all those wanting McInnes, just look at today’s game as yet another example as to why we should be going nowhere near him. Crunch match again and they are 2-0 down at half time against an inferior side.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #592 on: April 14, 2018, 01:48:03 PM »
For all those wanting McInnes, just look at today’s game as yet another example as to why we should be going nowhere near him. Crunch match again and they are 2-0 down at half time against an inferior side.

3 nil now and insipid football to boot.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #593 on: April 14, 2018, 03:39:58 PM »
Aberdeen fans want McInnes out.

Hopefully we steer well clear.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #594 on: April 14, 2018, 04:21:13 PM »
McInnes is Pulis in a kilt seriously think this firms up why I didn't fancy him.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #595 on: April 14, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »
Yeah I’ve gone right off McInnes.

He was behind Potter, Smith and Appleton for me anyway.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #596 on: April 14, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »
The owner wants to play attractive football. It will not be McInnes or McCarthy or Allardyce.

How McCarthy is still prominent in bookies lists I don't know.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #597 on: April 14, 2018, 05:21:40 PM »
Any of Smith, Appleton or Potter will be fine with me but I’d love to really go and push for someone like Jokanovic.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #598 on: April 14, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »
Brentford playing well again under Smith, I like Woods and Canos who both look very good players.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #599 on: April 14, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
Brentford playing well again under Smith, I like Woods and Canos who both look very good players.
Some good players on show and some decent football being played - let's hope we can be similar this time next year.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill