Author Topic: 7 Aug 2018 Nottingham Forest 1 Albion 1  (Read 77121 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #550 on: August 08, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
I'm not down with people saying Moore needs to go after 2 games. Yes, he seems either naïve or afraid to take chances, but saying he has to go now is scandalous.

The subs appear to be causing confusion again, so hopefully he will address this.

I think most of us would have taken a point before kick off.

“A Puzzle Indeed” is another very readable and balanced addition to your blog.

If other members haven’t read these blogs, I would recommend them to you.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #551 on: August 08, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »
Having slept on it, I'm not quite as worried as I was. We've barely had Jones in the club a week, and we are still sorting out the various partnerships in the squad.

Forest are a good team at this level and my hope was to avoid defeat and show some promise in this performance - we did both, albeit the promise shown was only in the first ten minutes and last ten minutes.

The important thing now is to see what has been learned and how this impacts on the selection and formation against Norwich.

Last night we saw the change to formation that we all wanted, and Moore made his substitution at a decent time and also switched the formation around a bit. Ultimately it worked, so he should be given credit for that.

Theres plenty more to be done and I'd love to see us actually start a game as we finished against Forest with a real desire to score.

We've played what we think was a poor Bolton side, and what we think is a very good Forest side, and learned a lot along the way. If we can continue to learn, and adapt our style and formation against Norwich then I think we stand a very good chance of getting our first win.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #552 on: August 08, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
Johnstone - wonder save that ultimately saved us from defeat, I've seen the goal a few times and I'm not convinced there is an awful lot he could have done about it either, he deserves some time.

Tosin - hung out to dry a bit by Moore. Played out of position on his league debut and looked nervous, grew into things and will provide adequate cover at centre half.

Bartley - much improved tonight, he knows his limitations and plays to them. Lots of important blocks.

Hegazi - the bloke is an absolute car crash and has been since last Christmas, the sooner Dawson is back in the better.

Gibbs - I was very critical on Saturday. He was a bit better tonight, crossing poor but did a bit better defensively. Still a massive bottle job who I wouldn't be sad to see the back of.

Livermore - slow to get out for their goal but did lots of good closing down and won the ball back a number of times. He adds the physicality we need in this division.

Brunt - stinker. I love the bloke and what he's done for this club but despite what Jacko says he is not a central midfielder, either get him out wide or at full back or stick him on the bench. He looked so slow and old last night.

Phillips - our best player, took his goal brilliantly and looked like he was at least going to try and make something happen going forwards. His set pieces are pony, catching practice for their keeper all night.

Morrison - looked like he hadn't played for a year. Signed eleven years ago yesterday apparently, we shouldn't still be relying on him as heavily as we are. Same goes for Brunt.

Barnes - less effective first half, a bit overawed it seemed. Even in the first half our best moments involved him and he was a different player when he moved more central and had Gayle to aim at.

Rodriguez - £18m, really?! Missed two open goals, slow, can't hold the ball up and I'm not sure he can finish anymore. It's a shame that Burnley have signed Vydra as now it looks like we're stuck with him.

SUBS

Gayle - as much as I love Rondon it was mindblowing to see a striker putting himself in positions to be able to score a goal, he could have had a couple. If we make him chances he will score, his pace instantly pushed Forest backwards as well. Keep him fit and we have a player there.

Robson-Kanu - bless him.

It wasn't a great performance but I think as we go through the season that will turn out to be a good point. In the last 20 minutes we hit the bar three times, we created far better chances than Forest did for all their "good play" and arguably should have snatched the game but for some sharper finishing. A few tweaks and I'm sure there is a team, not necessarily a great team but certainly one with enough about it to trouble most other sides in this league.

Excellent review Dave lad. HRK bit made my laugh out loud. Agree with everything you've said there

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Pre Match Pint & Parking
« Reply #553 on: August 08, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »
Hi All

Just wondering where people generally go for pre match beverage. I was going to go meadow lane way as I hear that’s where the away friendly pubs are. One of our lot is on crutches though so I’m guessing parking there leaves a fair old trek for our limper.

Any advice appreciated

How did you get on? Three of us had drinks at the Trent Bridge Inn (Wetherspoons). Decent enough boozer, the bars were rammed but there plenty of bar staff on. Absolutely boiling in there but we had a decent loff with a few of the locals, despite some dirty looks from certain quarters. No trouble though and if we're in the same division as Forest next season then I'll probably head there again. Heard good things about the Notts County supporters club though so who knows?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #554 on: August 08, 2018, 11:16:06 AM »
Johnstone - wonder save that ultimately saved us from defeat, I've seen the goal a few times and I'm not convinced there is an awful lot he could have done about it either, he deserves some time.

Tosin - hung out to dry a bit by Moore. Played out of position on his league debut and looked nervous, grew into things and will provide adequate cover at centre half.

Bartley - much improved tonight, he knows his limitations and plays to them. Lots of important blocks.

Hegazi - the bloke is an absolute car crash and has been since last Christmas, the sooner Dawson is back in the better.

Gibbs - I was very critical on Saturday. He was a bit better tonight, crossing poor but did a bit better defensively. Still a massive bottle job who I wouldn't be sad to see the back of.

Livermore - slow to get out for their goal but did lots of good closing down and won the ball back a number of times. He adds the physicality we need in this division.

Brunt - stinker. I love the bloke and what he's done for this club but despite what Jacko says he is not a central midfielder, either get him out wide or at full back or stick him on the bench. He looked so slow and old last night.

Phillips - our best player, took his goal brilliantly and looked like he was at least going to try and make something happen going forwards. His set pieces are pony, catching practice for their keeper all night.

Morrison - looked like he hadn't played for a year. Signed eleven years ago yesterday apparently, we shouldn't still be relying on him as heavily as we are. Same goes for Brunt.

Barnes - less effective first half, a bit overawed it seemed. Even in the first half our best moments involved him and he was a different player when he moved more central and had Gayle to aim at.

Rodriguez - £18m, really?! Missed two open goals, slow, can't hold the ball up and I'm not sure he can finish anymore. It's a shame that Burnley have signed Vydra as now it looks like we're stuck with him.

SUBS

Gayle - as much as I love Rondon it was mindblowing to see a striker putting himself in positions to be able to score a goal, he could have had a couple. If we make him chances he will score, his pace instantly pushed Forest backwards as well. Keep him fit and we have a player there.

Robson-Kanu - bless him.

It wasn't a great performance but I think as we go through the season that will turn out to be a good point. In the last 20 minutes we hit the bar three times, we created far better chances than Forest did for all their "good play" and arguably should have snatched the game but for some sharper finishing. A few tweaks and I'm sure there is a team, not necessarily a great team but certainly one with enough about it to trouble most other sides in this league.

Almost my thoughts entirely although the one point I would disagree on would be Johnstone.

Thought he could've possibly saved at least one of the goals and Saturday and I'm pretty sure Foster would've saved last night's goal.

He also fisted a couple of long shots away, which could've been caught, one when back into a semi-dangerous area and put us under pressure.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #555 on: August 08, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »
Trying to gather my thoughts after last night has been difficult. We were dominated for 80 minutes, and yet could have sneaked a 2-1 win. Also could have lost 3-0.

Tosin was looked shaky in the first half but you could tell right back isn't his natural position, and the lack of movement in front of him didn't help.

Thought Hegazi actually made a few good blocks, though him and Bartley don't seem to want to attack the ball on goal kicks etc.

What was noticeable was how sloppy our passing in. I don't mean balls going out of play etc, but passing to the wrong foot, or under-hitting passing so players have to slow down. If you watch the highlights on the SkySports website, you will see the reason Tosin nearly gifted a goal to Forest was because someone mis-hit a pass to him that Phillips then had to retrieve. Likewise I think it was Morrison or Barnes who had Phillips ready to hit the byline in the first half but under-hit the pass so he had to check back inside.

This is basic stuff for professional footballers that has been neglected under previous managers.

Another big grip[ was Barnes playing on the left. I don't mind inverted wingers, but he seemed to get crowded out when he drifted inside, and Gibbs wasn't providing enough width or depth to stretch their attack. It's no surprise that when Gibbs did get forward we got our goal.

There's lots for the coaching staff to work on, but I'm skeptical as to how much things will change.

Also annoyed at the lack of substitutes. 1 change during 90 minutes isn't good enough.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #556 on: August 08, 2018, 01:00:51 PM »
I was reading through the in game chat this morning without knowing the final score and geez you’d have thought it was 3-0 or 4-0 in the second half the way everyone was carrying on.

I know I didn’t see the game and I can’t really comment on the team or Manager but we are only two games in with new players and a new style.

So many armchair critics on here that think they can do better than an appointed manager. They are either misguided, deluded or just plain arrogant.

I’m prepared to wait a few more games before declaring this season a disaster.
I know what you mean Aussie. I was fortunate to be able to listen to it here in Florida, and was jumping in delighted relief when we equalized. I couldn’t believe the responses when I read through the in game and after game chat. Fortunately, we have the ability to just log out and ignore them. Imagine having to travel back from a game with some them?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #557 on: August 08, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
What was noticeable was how sloppy our passing in. I don't mean balls going out of play etc, but passing to the wrong foot, or under-hitting passing so players have to slow down. If you watch the highlights on the SkySports website, you will see the reason Tosin nearly gifted a goal to Forest was because someone mis-hit a pass to him that Phillips then had to retrieve. Likewise I think it was Morrison or Barnes who had Phillips ready to hit the byline in the first half but under-hit the pass so he had to check back inside.

This is basic stuff for professional footballers that has been neglected under previous managers.

This has annoyed me for a few seasons and it's a glaring difference if you watch decent teams.  For those teams every pass is exactly where the receiving player needs the ball to be, in to his feet, or ahead of him, etc.  Ours are just random.  Special mention to Nyom who is particulary bad at it, every pass is behind his man, onto his wrong foot, into feet when it should be there to run onto etc. 

Brunt is also guilty of hitting the ball at terrible heights to players due to lack of care.  He'll just flick it to someone at knee height so the receiver is already up against before he can even consider a pass.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #558 on: August 08, 2018, 08:34:28 PM »
We can only improve Last few minutes we looked up for it
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #559 on: August 08, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »
We can only improve Last few minutes we looked up for it
Exactly....We attacked and put the opposition under pressure, rather than backing off all the time.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #560 on: August 09, 2018, 07:50:59 PM »
I'm still absolutely livid we didn't commit the ultimate robbery and come away with 3 points on Tuesday.

I don't think the Gayle effect should be understated. He came on the pitch and JRod suddenly looked interested as he had someone to work off, Barnes had someone to play one two's off and Phillips had  a reason to go forward as there was someone in the box to attack.

Brunt had somebody who he could pass to and I think it was his passes from midfield that started off the move.

Funnily enough my Forest mate said we looked really resilient despite a lot of last minute defending. I actually think Hegazi and Bartley looked much better than they did against Bolton.

Start with the team that finished the Forest match and I think we will beat Norwich. 4 points from 3 games. One could say that is one short of league winning form.

Win your home games and draw your away games. It's really that simple.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Match Highlights
« Reply #561 on: August 12, 2018, 12:57:42 AM »