Author Topic: Charlie Austin loaned to QPR  (Read 162064 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Charlie Austin
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »
How much longer do you wait for Austin to come good?  It would be interesting to note how many Gayle had notched by league match 14?  It's putting strain on the rest of the team with him not scoring and this is from a defensive and attacking perspective.  We can't carry this on indefinitely.  Obviously HRK is better with 20 min cameos and he's a good option to do that particular role.

I noted we signed a 19 year old French striker from Le Havre's academy recently, maybe he's worth a go?  You just never know.  If he's quick then you have the option of going direct occasionally and therefore mixing the play.  We can't even do that with Austin as he doesn't outpace defenders.

No idea when Zohore is fit again?  The jury is still out on him too.

Very valid points made. I have reached a point where I cannot see him coming good. It’s not just lack of goals either. He’s off the pace in most games, has a heavy touch too. Could go on but don’t like running our own down too much. When Zohore is fit he must play in my view. He’s had nothing like the opportunity Charlie has had. In January we must recruit a striker too.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
Very valid points made. I have reached a point where I cannot see him coming good. It’s not just lack of goals either. He’s off the pace in most games, has a heavy touch too. Could go on but don’t like running our own down too much. When Zohore is fit he must play in my view. He’s had nothing like the opportunity Charlie has had. In January we must recruit a striker too.

Austin was blowing after 30 minutes like he'd been out last night and had 15 pints. Nowhere near good enough and a hindrance. We actually looked better with ten men as after the sending off he was subbed! He looks like a retired footballer wheeled back out into a competitive match. Such a disappointing signing. Him and Zohore have both flopped. A quality striker has to be focus in January. Until then all we can do is hobble on and rotate.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
Austin was blowing after 30 minutes like he'd been out last night and had 15 pints. Nowhere near good enough and a hindrance. We actually looked better with ten men as after the sending off he was subbed! He looks like a retired footballer wheeled back out into a competitive match. Such a disappointing signing. Him and Zohore have both flopped. A quality striker has to be focus in January. Until then all we can do is hobble on and rotate.
I've read all your posts about Austin and some of them are are really over the top (that's putting it mildly) that's your opinion and I ain't got a problem with that. But can i just ask you why you hate him so much? Have you ever met him or as he ever done something to harm you? Just wondering.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2019, 08:22:56 PM »
Always admired Austin , I'm desperate to be wrong but he looks blown now . Few flicks here and there isn't enough .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2019, 08:35:37 PM »
Sadly looks like he's lost the magic now and it just hasn't clicked for him with us.

Problem is, HRK is only good from the bench, can't do a full game, Zohore injured. That leaves us with kids we havent tried yet as potential competition (Willock, Diaby, Soule??). Hence why he still gets in the team no problem.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2019, 08:41:24 PM »
How much longer do you wait for Austin to come good?  It would be interesting to note how many Gayle had notched by league match 14?  It's putting strain on the rest of the team with him not scoring and this is from a defensive and attacking perspective.  We can't carry this on indefinitely.  Obviously HRK is better with 20 min cameos and he's a good option to do that particular role.

I noted we signed a 19 year old French striker from Le Havre's academy recently, maybe he's worth a go?  You just never know.  If he's quick then you have the option of going direct occasionally and therefore mixing the play.  We can't even do that with Austin as he doesn't outpace defenders.

No idea when Zohore is fit again?  The jury is still out on him too.

I've just looked it up. At this stage last season Gayle and J Rod had 8 goals each. I'm afraid it looks like Austin is our Ross McCormack

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2019, 11:14:27 PM »
I've read all your posts about Austin and some of them are are really over the top (that's putting it mildly) that's your opinion and I ain't got a problem with that. But can i just ask you why you hate him so much? Have you ever met him or as he ever done something to harm you? Just wondering.

I don’t hate him at all. It’s obvious he’s past it, which is a big problem. First few games you can put it down to a lack of fitness but by now it’s a clear as day that his legs have gone and that we’ve signed another Lambert.

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2019, 11:25:36 PM »
Another totally inept performance. Trouble is who else have we got? And I just can’t see the Gayle thing happening
Don't call me Walt

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2019, 11:46:12 PM »
I'm not writing him off yet but one game per week looks enough for Charlie.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
I spent a period yesterday concentrating on Charlie and he must be really easy to defend against, his movement across the line, closing Down space isn’t good enough, he doesn’t have the pace to get away from his marker, trickery and speedy reaction isn’t his game, so I find it very difficult to make a case for him
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2019, 08:26:52 PM »
I'm giving Austin the benefit of the doubt for the timebeing based on him being a proven goalscorer. At Swindon, Burnley and QPR he was scoring roughly once every 2 games.
From what I remember of him at QPR, he was an instinctive scorer, fox in the box if you like, who anticipates chances and was clinical enough to get on the end of them. That's what he's got to do here. Maybe, he never had a great deal of pace so its pointless expecting him to perform sprints like Odemwingie. 
We could use Zohore or HRK as our main striker, but I'm not aware that either of them ever were prolific goalscorers.
The centre forward slot is one obvious area in the team where there is alot of room for improvement. If we can get Gayle in, it should be a no-brainer, but if not, Austin is going to have to start delivering soon.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2019, 08:35:45 PM »
The simple fact is we need another striker in January who is better than what we already have.
I've said it before if we get promoted it will be in spite of our strike force not because of them
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:41:01 AM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
We wanted a proven forward and Austin was available - but he has never been a lone front man, he is best as a forager in a 442, we need to give Zohore a go now, assuming he's fit.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »
shame we didn't keep Rodgers now - think he'd be playing regularly in this side. Austin seems to be going the same way as **** Lambert. shame as he's very likeable.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
i just checked back over the first pages of this thread when he first signed - majority were very sceptical about Austin then with just a few optimists in favour.

Mind you that footballing genius Jacko did post on there about how we were all wrong and how Austin was nothing like all the other over the hill  failures that we had signed in the past

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »
i just checked back over the first pages of this thread when he first signed - majority were very sceptical about Austin then with just a few optimists in favour.

Mind you that footballing genius Jacko did post on there about how we were all wrong and how Austin was nothing like all the other over the hill  failures that we had signed in the past

You do realise the first page of this thread is visible to all of us? So in no particular order just from page 1 of the thread, Atomic, Fritzl Palace, tommcneil, wbarenno, Foster#1, overseas baggie, Baggies, and Pie thought he would be a decent to great signing.

Additionally, he's only started 9 games. Bit early to write him off.

As to your input on page 2 of the thread you were shot down by several members, not just me, after comparing him to Andy Townsend among others. Jog on mate, if I had a microphone I'd now drop it...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »

You do realise the first page of this thread is visible to all of us? So in no particular order just from page 1 of the thread, Atomic, Fritzl Palace, tommcneil, wbarenno, Foster#1, overseas baggie, Baggies, and Pie thought he would be a decent to great signing.

As to your input on page 2 of the thread you were shot down by several members, not just me, after comparing him to Andy Townsend among others. Jog on mate, if I had a microphone I'd now drop it...

Wrong thread, leave Sam Johnstone out of it  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »

Must be of solace to you knowing that you are in such exalted company and still wrong  ;D
Just saying like!  8)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2019, 10:10:58 AM »
Think the sports science lads should sort out his diet as he still looks like he's just come back from summer hols. Good player in there who needs to work harder on his fitness Bilic didn't do him any favours by stating he was his number one striker.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »

You can add me to that list, I too thought he would be a good signing. Unfortunately, I just don't see it now, although that's not because he's over the hill or just after a pay day, but rather that he doesn't have the attributes that suit our system or personnel.
For me we need a more mobile striker, who's happier with the ball at his feet, that can integrate better with Perreira, Diangana, Phillips, Krov etc. Even then, I wouldn't expect 20+ goals as the way they play and create space for each other, the goals will always be shared out more evenly.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »

1. After seeing him play, you still want to shoot my view down?
2. 'Mike Drop" ???  How old are you?
3. Who would you compare Austin to then? 
4. I'm not your mate. Very few on here are.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2019, 11:07:07 AM »
1. After seeing him play, you still want to shoot my view down?
2. 'Mike Drop" ???  How old are you?
3. Who would you compare Austin to then? 
4. I'm not your mate. Very few on here are.

😂

It's not Grindr fella.

What's triggered you today?

You had a random pop at me remember.

🛎
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2019, 12:20:34 PM »
Still doesn’t seem fit or have that match sharpness needed

I wonder how much training he does in the week, in the sense that due to injuries is he on a different training programme to protect him as such in training To keep him fit on a Sat, and thats why he never looks fit during games

Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2019, 12:46:19 PM »
He doesn't seem fit, but he doesn't seem to be getting fitter either. His first touch is heavy, his second is a tackle. How long do we give him?

I was sceptical of signing him, and he's looking like another Rickie Lambert.

New striker needed in January.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »
how long is his contract (puts fingers in ears)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!