Author Topic: Conor Townsend  (Read 92995 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Conor Townsend
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2021, 02:53:38 PM »
Anyone got any news when he's due back?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2021, 01:32:04 PM »
Just signed a new 3 year deal. The resignings begin.

Edit - fine for the EFL so would understand a 12 month deal  with Bartley but beyond that not sure.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/townsend-pens-new-contract

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »
Worthy of that deal ,improved ever season he's been here .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2021, 01:46:22 PM »
To be fair to Townsend he has made strides and is a decent option in the Championship and as a squad player in the Premier League. With the likelihood of Gibbs going in the summer, we didn't want to be recruiting two left backs when there'll be much work to do recruitment wise.

Interesting that decisions are being made on those out of contract now, Townsend resigning was probably the easiest decision so will be interesting to see where we go from here.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2021, 01:47:08 PM »
Yes i agree he's improved but im assuming hes got a pay rise and realistically not good enough for the PL week in week out. All smacks of doing the bare minimum going forward but i hope i'm wrong. I would only give him and Bartley 12 month deals out of those out ot contract end of season.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #280 on: February 12, 2021, 01:48:38 PM »
Good news.

He's 27 years old so still a good age. Three year deal seems about right.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2021, 02:07:59 PM »
Should have been out the door 30th June.

Keep kicking those rusty cans down the broken road Albion.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #282 on: February 12, 2021, 02:21:12 PM »
He's been our best defensive player this season and has improved massively. I'm happy with this new deal and it makes sense. It's the other ones that worry me.
Interestingly, our dip in form this season came with him out the side, he has been one of the few positives this year.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #283 on: February 12, 2021, 02:22:31 PM »
There is a very good player in there. Finally a sensible move by the club.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #284 on: February 12, 2021, 02:47:51 PM »
I didn't rate him. Then this year before his injury i felt he was our most improved player. Since he's come back from injury he's not looked great and looks like the poor play from last year.

I'm undecided here, if he can get back to pre-injury form then great but at 27 he's unlikely to vastly improve so maybe pre-injury was just a purple patch but i'll get behind the chap when he's picked.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #285 on: February 12, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »
Think he has deserved a new contract personally. But id still like us to buy a new first choice LB

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2021, 02:53:00 PM »
Rewarding mediocrity as ever. It's the West Brom way.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2021, 02:57:08 PM »
Rewarding mediocrity as ever. It's the West Brom way.
I think he get's over the line , at the very least he will be a decent squad player next season .
Good age still and would go for a fee if needed , we all know there's 3 or 4 who should be seeing that door before him. No issue with this one .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2021, 03:05:59 PM »
When will we learn that fullbacks are these days a critical position?  We must spend more of our budget there and get top quality options, not average Championship level players.

This was an opportunity to cleanly clear a wage (with no '£££paper loss' as his contract would already be written down).

If this is the level of out ambition for 2021/22 we're in for more disappointment.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #289 on: February 12, 2021, 03:52:28 PM »
To be fair to Townsend he has made strides and is a decent option in the Championship and as a squad player in the Premier League. With the likelihood of Gibbs going in the summer, we didn't want to be recruiting two left backs when there'll be much work to do recruitment wise.

Interesting that decisions are being made on those out of contract now, Townsend resigning was probably the easiest decision so will be interesting to see where we go from here.

Even with Gibbs going I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign another LB. We'll have so much work to do on the rest of the squad it's a position that will be ignored IMO. I expect someone like Peltier as 'cover'.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: February 12, 2021, 03:57:57 PM »
I dont even want to think of Peltier being resigned.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »
I dont even want to think of Peltier being resigned.

What's Tyrone Mears up too? Townsend decent enough to convince me he's worthy of a new contract . Rather him than three or four others .
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2021, 04:32:30 PM »
I think im having a break from the Albion soon  ;D

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2021, 04:39:17 PM »
When will we learn that fullbacks are these days a critical position?  We must spend more of our budget there and get top quality options, not average Championship level players.

This was an opportunity to cleanly clear a wage (with no '£££paper loss' as his contract would already be written down).

If this is the level of out ambition for 2021/22 we're in for more disappointment.

He’s our most improved outfield player this season and with a full season of being first-choice next season I think he’ll improve further. 

No idea why people are negative about him. He cost us peanuts and is turning into a very decent player, especially at Championship level, and indeed maybe at this level too.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #294 on: February 12, 2021, 04:39:51 PM »
Some may want better players but finances after relegation are going to be very tight . We cannot therefore let all those out of contract along with the loans leave it would make building a squad very difficult therefore on that basis it seems to be a sensible move especially with Gibbs likely to be leaving we are going to have get another LB from somewhere .
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2021, 05:27:20 PM »
Happy about this. Has certainly improved every year he's been with us and always puts in a shift. Certainly our most improved player this year. Looked a bit rusty when he came back but nearly all players do when they have been out injured for a while.
Just don't understand those people who never have a good word to say about the lad, whilst never having a bad word to say about Gibbs.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2021, 05:39:09 PM »
Happy about this. Has certainly improved every year he's been with us and always puts in a shift. Certainly our most improved player this year. Looked a bit rusty when he came back but nearly all players do when they have been out injured for a while.
Just don't understand those people who never have a good word to say about the lad, whilst never having a bad word to say about Gibbs.

Because people have ego's and some of them will never admit to being wrong. It's an insecurity, a defence mechanism  , they see it as a weakness to admit they were wrong.

It isnt. Everyone is human and we all get it wrong from time to time. The people with the real strength are those who accept that and then admit it.

Some wont do that whatever. It's their weakness, not everyone else's.

Its admirable to back your judgement. It"s sad, pitiful, even to keep fighting a battle you've lost and are too "small" to admit it even to yourself.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:45:28 PM by Atomic »

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2021, 05:39:19 PM »
Just signed a new 3 year deal. The resignings begin.

Edit - fine for the EFL so would understand a 12 month deal  with Bartley but beyond that not sure.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/townsend-pens-new-contract
Completely unrealistic. He wouldn't have signed a one year deal and neither will Bartley.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2021, 05:46:43 PM »
Because people have ego's and some of them will never admit to being wrong. It's an insecurity, a defence mechanism  , they see it as a weakness to admit they were wrong.

It isnt. Everyone is human and we all get it wrong from time to time. The people with the real strength are those who accept that and then admit it.

Some wont do that whatever. It's their weakness, not everyone else's.

Its admirable to back your judgement. It"s sad, pitiful, even to keep fighting a battle you've lost.
Well I have to admit that I didn't think that Conor Townsend would improve as much as he has and I'm very happy that he has proved me wrong. He will be a real asset in the Championship and has been far from our worst player in the Prem.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »
Well I have to admit that I didn't think that Conor Townsend would improve as much as he has and I'm very happy that he has proved me wrong. He will be a real asset in the Championship and has been far from our worst player in the Prem.

Yep. Townsend is alright.

Is he the best left back in England? No.
Is he in the top five? No.
Is he in the top ten? Hmm. Probably not.
Is he in the top 15 - 20? Yes, certainly.

That"s the thing. He is perfectly good enough at the bottom half of the PL and probably in the top three in the Championship.