Author Topic: Us and Them  (Read 11256 times)

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

Us and Them
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:02:51 AM »
So with all this going on with Brunt, the money raising, banner making , clapping, etc etc, I thought I'd ask people what they really think about the relationship we as fans have with the players.

Do you honestly think they care? (Coin in the face aside)

To me , they don't really seem that fussed either way. The amount of players who clap or come over at away games is in a minority, regardless of result. The same faces come around the ground at full time at home games.

I'm a believer in singing throughout the game regardless of how badly we are playing as the atmosphere could lift them, but come 5pm (or whatever time sky dictate) it seems most of them couldn't give two hoots anyway
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Us and Them
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:14:51 AM »
My autograph book hasnt been out since the eighties. them days whilst they were warming up we would go through the playing squad and had a tune for all of them, players would come over and sign programs, dont see that anymore.
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 11:18:01 AM »
My autograph book hasnt been out since the eighties. them days whilst they were warming up we would go through the playing squad and had a tune for all of them, players would come over and sign programs, dont see that anymore.

Nope, the warm up now consists of Gardner trying to kill people in the Brummie Road with wayward shots

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 11:32:53 AM »
I think its a two way thing , money has players tucked away in Range Rovers and mansions.
I also think fans have got a lot more intense , some of the stuff i read towards our own players on social media is frightning , no wonder they stay away.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 11:43:55 AM »
So with all this going on with Brunt, the money raising, banner making , clapping, etc etc, I thought I'd ask people what they really think about the relationship we as fans have with the players.

Do you honestly think they care? (Coin in the face aside)

To me , they don't really seem that fussed either way. The amount of players who clap or come over at away games is in a minority, regardless of result. The same faces come around the ground at full time at home games.

I'm a believer in singing throughout the game regardless of how badly we are playing as the atmosphere could lift them, but come 5pm (or whatever time sky dictate) it seems most of them couldn't give two hoots anyway

Personally I couldn't give a toss whether they clap me or not.
I want them that knackered after a game that they haven't got the energy to clap.
Just do it on the pitch this love in with the players does my head.
They do a bit for local charities and the Albion Foundation thats as good as its going to get.
I've said it before you used to see the players in and around West Brom years ago.
Robbo used to run the Four in Hand Sunday football team.
Cantello, Hartford and co used to buy their suits in the Sandwell centre.
Joey Mayo, Ali Brown, Ali Robertson were frequenters of the Spinney in Charlemont Farm.
Willie Johnson used to catch the bus back to his digs after training because he didn't have a driving license
With all the extra money that now goes along with football also goes what's called celebrity status and the new breed of fan that chases after the celebrity.
The players are further away from the fans now than they have ever been and the gulf is only getting wider.
So if you expect the players to be overly concerned about the fans you might be in for a bit of a shock.

My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:48:53 AM »
Personally I couldn't give a toss whether they clap me or not.
I want them that knackered after a game that they haven't got the energy to clap.
Just do it on the pitch this love in with the players does my head.
They do a bit for local charities and the Albion Foundation thats as good as its going to get.
I've said it before you used to see the players in and around West Brom years ago.
Robbo used to run the Four in Hand Sunday football team.
Cantello, Hartford and co used to buy their suits in the Sandwell centre.
Joey Mayo, Ali Brown, Ali Robertson were frequenters of the Spinney in Charlemont Farm.
Willie Johnson used to catch the bus back to his digs after training because he didn't have a driving license
With all the extra money that now goes along with football also goes what's called celebrity status and the new breed of fan that chases after the celebrity.
The players are further away from the fans now than they have ever been and the gulf is only getting wider.
So if you expect the players to be overly concerned about the fans you might be in for a bit of a shock.

Good post.

I'm not under the impression or hope that they're overly concerned. That seemed to go out the window quite a few years ago. I was just wondering how everyone felt

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
No affinity with the players whatsoever, the money makes them so detached from reality. Not their fault, good on em, but it's harder to accept a rubbish performance from someone on £50k a week, especially when paying for the privilege.
When we were watching the likes of Colin Anderson, Kwame Ampadu, Paul Williams etc. the wages were not really that high or well publicised so, whilst still infuriating, their lack of ability was more acceptable.

Another thing which has been lost is the fact that the players used to be fans first, so, as kids, they got a taste of the terraces. These days they are "footballers" from 10 -11 years old, so miss out on what it's like to feel the ups and downs of being a football supporter.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 01:52:21 PM »
I think its a two way thing , money has players tucked away in Range Rovers and mansions.
I also think fans have got a lot more intense , some of the stuff i read towards our own players on social media is frightning , no wonder they stay away.

I don't think it's so much to do with money.........

My mate played professionally, mainly in the lower leagues but also higher up to a lesser extent. There were a few times we were having a quiet beer in pub when a we'd end up with different groups of people around us during the night, people would hug him, big him up, kiss him, chat away randomly forever or have a go at him for a poor performance or tap him up for gossip on his team mates etc.....

I'm a fan but seeing that side of things makes me understand that most players are decent guys but they have so much focus on them and there are real horror stories of them being set up, people taking mobile phone photos/ videos all the time that it's no wonder they more reserved or detached from the public. It's human nature to be on your guard. It's sad but true. 

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
Back in the mid 70's I worked on the groundstaff when Don Howe and then Johnny Giles were managers, it was never us and them with the players but it was with,  shall we say the upper crust of West Bromwich Albion.

IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »
Back in the mid 70's I worked on the groundstaff when Don Howe and then Johnny Giles were managers, it was never us and them with the players but it was with,  shall we say the upper crust of West Bromwich Albion.

What a great time to be in and around the ground! By all accounts Albion were run a bit like FIFA for a while (not suggesting there was corruption but sounds like it was run more like a boardroom mafia!).

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »
The players don't care about the club even Saido who's been with us about 15 years doesn't like us or the club and I'll be honest I feel the same. I love the badge on the front and always will but not the names on the back. Modern football don't you just love it!

Big Al

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 04:30:15 PM »
I think it is another variable, when things are going well and the club is together as for example under Hodgson then generally a good connection between the fans and players existed. Conversely during the great escape everyone pulled together.
However current circumstances lead to players feeling isolated from the supporters, and clearly although they appreciate the support such as against Everton it is like the team inconsistent.
Exceptions to this are certain players like Bob Taylor always connected and fans appreciated due to never doubting the effort even during a barren spell, however I do not think we have any players with that connection in the current squad.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 04:37:07 PM »
I think it is another variable, when things are going well and the club is together as for example under Hodgson then generally a good connection between the fans and players existed. Conversely during the great escape everyone pulled together.
However current circumstances lead to players feeling isolated from the supporters, and clearly although they appreciate the support such as against Everton it is like the team inconsistent.
Exceptions to this are certain players like Bob Taylor always connected and fans appreciated due to never doubting the effort even during a barren spell, however I do not think we have any players with that connection in the current squad.
The irony is that the nearest we have to that now is probably Chris Brunt!  :(

Blandy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:01:57 PM »
Another thing which has been lost is the fact that the players used to be fans first, so, as kids, they got a taste of the terraces. These days they are "footballers" from 10 -11 years old, so miss out on what it's like to feel the ups and downs of being a football supporter.

I know what you're saying but it's not strictly true. Academy matches are all on Sundays. The Foundation phase (U8-U11) train on Saturday morning and many in my son's age group will go the match in the afternoon. In fact there are quite a few season ticket holders amongst them.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 09:47:07 PM »
Went to the services on the M40 coming back Saturday as there was an accident and big hold up, walked into the petrol station and Myhill, Garnder and Gamboa were in there buying about 4 boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, shook Gardeners hand and said it wasn't very good today and he just groaned a bit. Gamboa seemed really happy when I shook his hand as I don't think he thought we knew who he was and Myhill just walked past us with all the doughnuts and pretty much blanked us lol.

Did tell them to apologise to Brunty on behalf of us and that it was just one idiot.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
Went to the services on the M40 coming back Saturday as there was an accident and big hold up, walked into the petrol station and Myhill, Garnder and Gamboa were in there buying about 4 boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, shook Gardeners hand and said it wasn't very good today and he just groaned a bit. Gamboa seemed really happy when I shook his hand as I don't think he thought we knew who he was and Myhill just walked past us with all the doughnuts and pretty much blanked us lol.

Did tell them to apologise to Brunty on behalf of us and that it was just one idiot.

Taking a chance letting Boaz carry all them doughnuts  ::)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

matt_wba912

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 08:36:16 AM »
My view is that there is a breakdown in the player-fan relationship on both sides not just at west brom but across all clubs

Most fans think footballers are arrogant overpaid mercenaries who don't really care about winning but just how much money they can make out of the game (and by extension how much money they can take off them the fans). 

As far as I can tell scratch beneath the PR created surface and footballers generally view fans as uninformed and liable to knee jerk reactions and jumping on bandwagons and as a result there is little concern for the opinions or feelings of fans because they're either wrong or likely to have changed by next week

I know that is a huge generalisation but as a trend / over-arching statement I don't think it's far wrong
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:47:18 AM by matt_wba912 »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 08:44:28 AM »
My view is that there is a breakdown in the player-fan relationship on both sides not just at west brom but across all clubs

Most fans think footballers are arrogant overpaid mercenaries who don't really care about winning but just how much money they can make out of the game (and by extension how much money they can take off them the fans). 

As far as I can tell scratch beneath the PR created surface and footballers generally view fans as uninformed and liable to knee jerk reactions and jumping on bandwagons and as a result their is little concern for the opinions or feelings of fans because they're either wrong or likely to have changed by next week

I know that is a huge generalisation but as a trend / over-arching statement I don't think it's far wrong
Certainly true of a lot of ex players who have gone into pundtry, Cundy and Hughton being 2 of the worst. They seem to have the view that if you haven't played the game your opinion is worthless.

rogerstubbs

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »
Actuall boaz is one of the nicest players at the club and in my opinion unlucky to lose his place.Our defence seems calmer when he plays.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 09:35:03 AM »
I think as somebody said about, its not just happening at the Albion, its at all clubs.

Just before the season started a group of about 20 of my mates were in Brum (i was on holiday so couldnt go) and in a pub (just outside the city centre, not a trendy bar or anything, just a normal pub) when in came Chris Brunt and another bloke. All the lads out were big football fans but not one was an Albion fan.

However my best mate is a big Villa fan (i know what your thinking but he is okay) and he told me about the night and he said after being in the pub about 5 minutes Brunty didnt get left alone, he said he was a really polite nice guy, very friendly but my group of mates all wanted to have a chat with him, have a photo with him and so did other people in there and for about two hours this went on. Later on in the night, they saw Brunt in another pub and same thing looked to of happened again, apparently he had about 6 blokes all talking to him and wanting photos, etc.

Now as much players earn, get god like status, i reckon it must be a bit frustrating, not just that you cant go for a pint with your mate without getting ambushed, but also as said above, nowadays everybody has camera phones and wants selfies, etc so the player has to be really on guard, they cant relax completely because they are always being watched and if they do something for a laugh (like we all probably do when out with mates) they know it may be on youtube and blown up to be something it isnt.

Personally i would struggle to recognise a lot of footballers nowadays, if say Jordan Veretout from Villa or Ben Davies from Tottenham walked past me i wouldnt have a clue who they were!

My main going out days were slightly before the camera phones and i used to reguarly see Albion players in Bromsgrove - Hughesy, Jensen, AJ, Jordao, saw Mcinnes a few times and i never really was one for hassling them but now and again used to speak and they were top blokes, relaxed and having a laugh and they knew they could because people wouldnt be videoing them! I do remember one incident after Jordao had scored the winner v Wolves, me and a mate of mine (after a couple too many lemonades) singing to him and him just laughing and dancing at the bar! Good days!

I suppose point is footballers have the best job in the world but i can understand why there isnt that close relationship with fans anymore, they are always being watched.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:38:05 AM by Albion79 »

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 09:57:42 AM »
Taking a chance letting Boaz carry all them doughnuts  ::)

Eating them or dropping them?  ;D

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »
Eating them or dropping them?  ;D

Probably just carrying Ricky Lamberts share

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 10:53:37 AM »
22 millionaires on a pitch aren't going to care about joe public. Like everyone says, the game had changed.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:50 AM »
They don't give a hoot, the away display at Newcastle a few weeks ago was absolutely gutless, really feel like i'm disillusioned with my club at the moment, really sad state of affairs.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »
most of the current squad really care about winning and being as successful as possible in my view but they're not enjoying their football and confidence is low.

Regarding a connection with fans , I'd guess we're just thousands of faces or voices who moan, shout, whinge, swear at them most weeks to be honest.