Author Topic: Kieran Gibbs  (Read 167106 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Kieran Gibbs
« Reply #700 on: December 29, 2020, 11:52:35 PM »
Still our best leftback.
Yes, a bit harsh getting slated without kicking a ball.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #701 on: December 29, 2020, 11:58:11 PM »
Gibbs is our best left back but it's the ridiculous wages he's in that gets people's backs up I think but it's not his fault the club offered him the deal they did. 5 months left and his wages will be off the books.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #702 on: December 30, 2020, 12:00:02 AM »
Gibbs is our best left back but it's the ridiculous wages he's in that gets people's backs up I think but it's not his fault the club offered him the deal they did. 5 months left and his wages will be off the books.

We signed him from Arsenal he was probably on a good wage there

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #703 on: December 30, 2020, 12:04:52 AM »
More the length of it for me. He had just started having injuries too. We didn't protect ourselves. Not Gibbs fault of course.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #704 on: December 30, 2020, 12:06:02 AM »
More the length of it for me. He had just started having injuries too. We didn't protect ourselves. Not Gibbs fault of course.

True

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #705 on: December 30, 2020, 08:48:44 PM »
Are you his agent? Bruce signed 20 year old Jamal Lewis this summer for £15m, why would he want 31 year old Kieran Gibbs who can't run, play games without getting injured or head the ball. The modern full back is the most demanding position on the pitch; you need players with incredible energy not OAPs with zimmer frames.

Spot on and they need to have a pain threshold a bit more than my nan has, unfortunately he hasn't .
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #706 on: December 30, 2020, 08:52:35 PM »
Look so so much better when he is in the team I rate him, shame about the injuries but not really his fault

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #707 on: December 30, 2020, 10:16:20 PM »
I like him when he plays, one of our better players but its all academic if he is constantly injured, time to get someone in to put pressure on / be better than Townsend (sadly)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #708 on: January 01, 2021, 01:58:14 PM »
Any one know what happened to him in the warm up? Or did he just not fancy it?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #709 on: January 01, 2021, 02:11:05 PM »
Any one know what happened to him in the warm up? Or did he just not fancy it?

Allardyce said he felt something go in his thigh

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #710 on: January 27, 2021, 10:37:25 PM »
This fella for me sums up the issues in our squad ,he's on very good money yet doesn't defend or do the basics very well apart from 1 good game in 8 .
I expect more from someone with England caps and all his Arsenal stuff , he's not the only one floating along seeing off managers at the Albion but he is part of it .
Sooner that hefty contract runs down the better .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #711 on: January 28, 2021, 01:25:11 AM »
A typical arsenal defender doesn't like defending
Weak, poor aerialy, lack of commitment and made of biscuits
Roll on the end of the season when he's gone

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #712 on: January 28, 2021, 11:46:24 AM »
Townsend is back in training, thank god.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #713 on: January 28, 2021, 11:48:31 AM »
Gibbs is better than Townsend Klaxon.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #714 on: January 28, 2021, 11:50:37 AM »
Gibbs is better than Townsend Klaxon.

was better, isn't anymore. I'm pretty sure someone on here posted the stats for when each starts and they were a lot better when Townsend starts.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #715 on: January 28, 2021, 11:56:53 AM »
A fine player in his day but now age and injuries have caught up with him. He doesnt have much longer left here thankfully.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #716 on: January 28, 2021, 12:01:18 PM »
was better, isn't anymore. I'm pretty sure someone on here posted the stats for when each starts and they were a lot better when Townsend starts.

Agree to disagree. Still streets better imo.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #717 on: January 28, 2021, 12:02:55 PM »

That was me and they are by quite a margin as well and not a tiny sample.

Gibbs is one of those players that can look good. It's an optical illusion. He looks smooth, he has a wonderful first touch and really good balance. They are the pluses.

The minuses cannot tackle, awful in the air, terrible distances, cant defend one on one, cant defend anything that comes into the box, cannot stop crosses. And for someone that has decent technique barely ever scores, barely ever assists.

Townsend IS better, the stats say so categorically, they are so conclusive its very, very hard to argue against.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #718 on: January 28, 2021, 12:09:55 PM »
What does "terrible distances" mean? 

Townsend is nowhere near as good - he might edge Gibbs out defensively, but we lose way more going forward.  When Townsend plays lots of attacks come down our left hand side, when Gibbs plays nowhere near as much.  Townsend will get better but positionally he gets dragged all over the place in the same way as O'Shea sometimes does.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #719 on: January 28, 2021, 12:12:00 PM »
What does "terrible distances" mean? 

Townsend is nowhere near as good - he might edge Gibbs out defensively, but we lose way more going forward.  When Townsend plays lots of attacks come down our left hand side, when Gibbs plays nowhere near as much.  Townsend will get better but positionally he gets dragged all over the place in the same way as O'Shea sometimes does.

You are wrong. Every stat tells you that.

It could be a ridiculous co-incidence of course. But yeah, only if you really want to believe that.

Facts vs your opinion.

Facts win, sorry mate.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #720 on: January 28, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »

It could be a ridiculous co-incidence of course. But yeah, only if you really want to believe that.

Facts vs your opinion.

Facts win, sorry mate.

What facts and stats?  Stats are quite useful but if you're going to compare two players in the same position you've got to take into account the opposition, our tactics, who was playing in front of him, etc. 

When we play anyone half decent, I'd much rather have Gibbs in there than Townsend.  It seems that recent managers also agree.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #721 on: January 28, 2021, 12:16:21 PM »

The stats are marginal. Points won w/Gibbs 5. Points won w/ Townsend 6.

Gibbs also hasn't cost us a cup tie.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #722 on: January 28, 2021, 12:20:09 PM »
What facts and stats?  Stats are quite useful but if you're going to compare two players in the same position you've got to take into account the opposition, our tactics, who was playing in front of him, etc. 

When we play anyone half decent, I'd much rather have Gibbs in there than Townsend.  It seems that recent managers also agree.

You have a closed mind.

I'm not digging those stats out again it's time consuming, I've just done a night shift and I'm ready for bed.

Trust me I wouldn't open myself to ridicule I would not have posted them had they not been very conclusive.

There wasnt any major variant of opposition or anything like that. They were fair stats. Anything other is pointless.

I know it's not nice to be proved wrong but trust me we as a team are far better with Townsend rather than Gibbs. It's as simple as that, however anyone tries to spin it I.e. Jacko above.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #723 on: January 28, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »
Have to agree to disagree.  You can use your stats, which do tell some of the story, it's not like I'm ruling everything out.  But when I watch what happens on the pitch I see loads of times when Townsend has been sucked out of position and it's caused chaos at the back as we try and cover for him.  He will close down, then when the ball is passed off short, he'll chase the ball.  Then it'll get passed short again and suddenly he's well out of position and left gaps at the back.  None of that shows up in the stats.

Wonder why successive managers have disagreed with you?

Oh, have a good rest, I couldn't face working night shifts.  Dunno how you do it.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #724 on: January 28, 2021, 12:24:46 PM »
My twopennuth is that Townsend couldn't live with a fully fit, in his prime Gibbs, but, sadly, that is something we will never see again. Gibbs is in decline both physically and mentally and it shows. Townsend however, is on the up and whilst he will never reach the dizzy heights that Gibbs did, at this moment he is the better option.

Hopefully next year we have an alternative option.