Author Topic: Grady Diangana  (Read 283571 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Grady Diangana
« Reply #1400 on: April 11, 2023, 01:36:31 PM »
I bet you’re fun at parties. I’m also expecting a full apology from you when you finally realise Jed Wallace is an awful footballer and I was right along.

I have no intention whatsoever of apologising for Jed Wallace's current poor form. Meanwhile I have no idea whether you even get invited to parties or whether other attendees find you fun. Or even remotely interesting. Have a happy and fulfilling Tuesday  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1401 on: April 12, 2023, 01:09:52 PM »
Grady only looks half decent because of our lack of options.  He's not good enough for what we need. He's way too ineffective. Looks great on the eye with his little tricks but put him in the final third and he fails to deliver time and time and time again. 

If we can sell him in the summer along with that other useless article Grant It'd be good business given the position we're in even if we lose £20mil on what we paid.

That business was absolutely abysmal. Down to Bilic and Dowling.

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1402 on: April 12, 2023, 01:31:47 PM »
I totally agree with your assessment of GD.  He has remained quite a favourite of many fans, but when you look at his output goals/assists he's no better than Kyle Edwards and look where he is now. 

Regarding Bilic; if i remember correctly he preferred Eze over Diangana and in that, he has been proved correct.

For me GD should go this summer, even if its a year loan.   

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1403 on: April 12, 2023, 03:17:34 PM »
I see it the total other way- I don’t think we are good enough to get the best out of Diangana.

He’s a give and go, 1-2, one touch movement player when at his most effective and the way we set up because of our totally static central midfield means he’s often isolated out wide and having to make things happen on his own. He also isn’t supported by any strong attacking full backs either. I think that’s why he looks bad or can appear frustrating.

I actually think someone is going to get a bargain when the inevitable happens and he moves on.

It’s not at all surprising to me that we are struggling in attack since his absence. We’re certainly no better for his injury are we, and personally I think his threat - albeit lacking the final ball or delivery or quality on too many occasions- used to create space and opportunity for others.

He doesn’t look like the player of his loan spell, but we don’t really create waves of attacks any more and we also don’t have Pereira.

Think he will go on and be decent somewhere but sadly not with us.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1404 on: April 12, 2023, 04:33:21 PM »
I see it the total other way- I don’t think we are good enough to get the best out of Diangana.

He’s a give and go, 1-2, one touch movement player when at his most effective and the way we set up because of our totally static central midfield means he’s often isolated out wide and having to make things happen on his own. He also isn’t supported by any strong attacking full backs either. I think that’s why he looks bad or can appear frustrating.

I actually think someone is going to get a bargain when the inevitable happens and he moves on.

It’s not at all surprising to me that we are struggling in attack since his absence. We’re certainly no better for his injury are we, and personally I think his threat - albeit lacking the final ball or delivery or quality on too many occasions- used to create space and opportunity for others.

He doesn’t look like the player of his loan spell, but we don’t really create waves of attacks any more and we also don’t have Pereira.

Spot on.

The scary thing is that at the moment he's the only player in the squad that has that 'bit' about him.  Nobody gets out of their seat when Reach gets the ball (unless heading for the exit).

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1405 on: April 12, 2023, 05:10:15 PM »

Some interesting points. I too think he looked a lot better with Pereira and Krovinovic in the team. He obviously had a good understanding with them and a lot of his play is based on give and gos with clever movement. Not sure there are too many current players who he gels with, so he often tries things on his own, which probably stacks the odds against them coming off. 
However, I live in hope that when he's fit he finds that support and builds up a better understanding with those around him.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1406 on: April 12, 2023, 05:16:17 PM »
While I find him infuriating at times we do at the very least miss having him as an option. Of our current squad I'd prefer to see him feature in games more often than not but it's getting and keeping him fit.

It's just a total waste of a resource otherwise and when fit based on the current outputs of the others he'd be a shoe in Albrighton who's been a massive disappointment thus far. Just watch Albrighton hit form and go on a run of games now I've posted that  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1407 on: April 12, 2023, 05:17:44 PM »
Some interesting points. I too think he looked a lot better with Pereira and Krovinovic in the team. He obviously had a good understanding with them and a lot of his play is based on give and gos with clever movement. Not sure there are too many current players who he gels with, so he often tries things on his own, which probably stacks the odds against them coming off. 
However, I live in hope that when he's fit he finds that support and builds up a better understanding with those around him.

I think the only way we will get a tune out of him is by bringing the other two back, and that won't be happening....

I like him and when he is on it he can be a lovely player, but for me he goes missing too often, but occasionally  just when you wonder why he is on the pitch, he dumbfounds us all by popping up with a goal.

A frustrating player for me.
MAGA!

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1408 on: April 12, 2023, 05:46:07 PM »
While I find him infuriating at times we do at the very least miss having him as an option. Of our current squad I'd prefer to see him feature in games more often than not but it's getting and keeping him fit.

It's just a total waste of a resource otherwise and when fit based on the current outputs of the others he'd be a shoe in Albrighton who's been a massive disappointment thus far. Just watch Albrighton hit form and go on a run of games now I've posted that  ;D .

I think you're safe there.
A typical unimaginative, supposedly safe piece of recruitment
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1409 on: April 12, 2023, 08:11:15 PM »
It would be good to have him available but he's done very little to get anyone out of their seats this season or last. I'm afraid at premier league level almost every side would have better players in his position and at Championship level he should be a major figure in games far more than he is. He's just disappointed I'm afraid and isn't direct or positive enough often enough.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1410 on: April 13, 2023, 08:45:26 AM »
Problem is, he doesn't want to be here, and allegedly never did. West Ham effectively forced him out. Any player thats not 100% committed to a club is never going to show his best form. Cut our losses and sell in the summer.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1411 on: April 13, 2023, 11:08:52 AM »
Problem is, he doesn't want to be here, and allegedly never did. West Ham effectively forced him out. Any player thats not 100% committed to a club is never going to show his best form. Cut our losses and sell in the summer.
Who says he doesn't want to be here ? and if you are making that assumption based on his performances, then I could name several who "apparently" do not want to be here.
There are many who I do not want to be here, and Grady is not one of them but let's not get our opinions of players ability cultivate facts eh?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1412 on: April 13, 2023, 12:46:36 PM »
Who says he doesn't want to be here ? and if you are making that assumption based on his performances, then I could name several who "apparently" do not want to be here.
There are many who I do not want to be here, and Grady is not one of them but let's not get our opinions of players ability cultivate facts eh?

Mark Noble ( i think it was) was good mates with him at WHU. In a football interview about a year or two ago he told the story that Grady came to him heart broken one day after training after being told he was being sold to us against his wishes.

In the end, Nolan said Grady accepted coming here as he liked Bilic but he never wanted to come here on a permanent. Not because he disliked us or his loan season here but he never wanted to leave WHU for anyone apparently. He loved it there.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1413 on: April 13, 2023, 02:31:26 PM »
But that's very different from someone suggesting that his performances are poor because he doesn't want to be here.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1414 on: April 13, 2023, 02:42:21 PM »
But that's very different from someone suggesting that his performances are poor because he doesn't want to be here.

I'm just referring to the fact, on this occasion, we know Grady didn't want to come here in the first place

At the time my thoughts were if Grady wants to go back to West Ham he needs to put in the performances here consistently that will earn him such a move

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1415 on: April 13, 2023, 03:22:05 PM »
Whether he wants to be here or not is irrelevant. He isn't good enough full stop.

People saying he was better with Pereira and Krovinovic, no wrong. He had Pereira alongside him in the Premier League and he did practically nothing. Krov was mainly a substitute in the Championship.

Diangana had a spell which any pro can have. The second half of his first season he was largely poor.

Even Michael Rickets and Ravel Morrison had their little moments. They are professional footballers they all have a good level of ability but its the ability to continue to excel amongst your pears that makes you good enough.

Grady has hit his peak at a young age which happens to a lot of players. He'll never progress from where he is now.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1416 on: April 13, 2023, 05:35:18 PM »
I'm just referring to the fact, on this occasion, we know Grady didn't want to come here in the first place

At the time my thoughts were if Grady wants to go back to West Ham he needs to put in the performances here consistently that will earn him such a move

To be fair though, I imagine Grady didn't want to leave West Ham more than specifically not wanting to come here.  I just think footballers tend to be more professional than how some people think he's sulking because he's been forced to move.  Like you said, he's not going to get himself back into the Prem by deliberately playing poorly.

There is a tendancy from some fans to try and dismiss how effective he was for in his loan spell.  He was absolutely outstanding and there's a hell of a player there if you can link him up with some better quality than Adam Reach or Molumby.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1417 on: April 13, 2023, 05:55:25 PM »
Fully agree BA. Didn't sound like he had anything against us, more he saw himself a hammer for life so to speak 😂

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1418 on: April 14, 2023, 08:59:54 AM »
I'm always on edge wondering how individuals arriving from Lahndun will take to the West Midlands even on loan.  Some like Maitland-Niles get stuck in; some like Gnabry seem to make the minimal effort maybe hoping for a quick recall. 
When you take a player on loan, you really have to get inside their head and find out if they're genuinely keen on the move.  This is also the case with cash+player exchanges.  I'm not sure our recruiting faculty is competent at that.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1419 on: April 14, 2023, 10:14:14 AM »
I'm always on edge wondering how individuals arriving from Lahndun will take to the West Midlands even on loan.  Some like Maitland-Niles get stuck in; some like Gnabry seem to make the minimal effort maybe hoping for a quick recall. 
When you take a player on loan, you really have to get inside their head and find out if they're genuinely keen on the move.  This is also the case with cash+player exchanges.  I'm not sure our recruiting faculty is competent at that.

They were, with Lukaku.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1420 on: July 04, 2023, 05:45:39 PM »
"Lewis Cox

@LewisCox_star
Grady Diangana has admirers in the Championship, top-end clubs especially. Albion determined they will not sell on cheap after O'Shea exit. #wba"

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1421 on: July 04, 2023, 06:01:50 PM »
Had enough chances under enough managers. First 5-6 months were electric and has been patchy at best since.

May well go on to do it elsewhere and good luck to him, but sometimes club and player both need a change - and this is one of those instances.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1422 on: July 04, 2023, 06:39:29 PM »
Had enough chances under enough managers. First 5-6 months were electric and has been patchy at best since.

May well go on to do it elsewhere and good luck to him, but sometimes club and player both need a change - and this is one of those instances.

The on-loan Grady, pre injury, was dynamite. Since then it's not worked out here for him or us so probably time for a change for both parties in reality.

Blowee

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1423 on: July 04, 2023, 06:43:39 PM »
"Lewis Cox

@LewisCox_star
Grady Diangana has admirers in the Championship, top-end clubs especially. Albion determined they will not sell on cheap after O'Shea exit. #wba"
Makes sense to sell. If we can get somewhere near £10-12 million for Grady, Molumby and Grant in total possibly a couple of million for Griffiths that should just about balance the books.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1424 on: July 04, 2023, 06:59:51 PM »
Makes sense to sell. If we can get somewhere near £10-12 million for Grady, Molumby and Grant in total possibly a couple of million for Griffiths that should just about balance the books.

I'd be shocked if we rejected £3m really. Not many clubs in the championship have that spending power. It was an expensive mistake but understandable to a degree. Such a shame he has had injuries as he looked some player and filled a difficult to fill position.
Boing Boing