Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283088 times)

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke
« Reply #975 on: August 14, 2019, 10:02:46 AM »
I think he’s talent but for whatever reason it’s just not working for him here, it’s probably best for both parties he moves on, if the club could find a bundesliga team to take him on a 2 year loan that may be beneficial, he has long enough left on his contract so that if he did succeed we could still command a fee for him.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #976 on: August 14, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »
I would be shocked if the Albion arent looking a bit deeper in Burkes mental state.

I dont recall seeing a player look so unhappy and disinterested in football, he looks as though he would rather be anywhere else than on a football pitch, his body language is poor.

I dont know whether the pressure of two big moves have got to him, i know there was that report about him from the Scotland under 21 squad last year which said he had become withdrawn and isolated, he just doesnt look happy.

We have probably all had jobs we struggle with and at times dont want to be there, it looks like maybe there is element of that, problem is he is having to do his job in front of thousands of people. Of course he gets paid money we can only dream of and he has the best job in the world but the brain is a funny thing and doesnt decide who can struggle and who cant based on their money or job.

I may be completely wrong, i dont think for all the above he is a natural footballer, he doesnt seem to have a football brain but as many others have shown you can have a good career playing to your strenghs, he is big quick and strong, you have to make full use of that and not try and teach him to be something he isnt but before any of that i would be looking into his mentality and state of mind.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #977 on: August 14, 2019, 01:03:46 PM »
I would be shocked if the Albion arent looking a bit deeper in Burkes mental state.

I dont recall seeing a player look so unhappy and disinterested in football, he looks as though he would rather be anywhere else than on a football pitch, his body language is poor.

I dont know whether the pressure of two big moves have got to him, i know there was that report about him from the Scotland under 21 squad last year which said he had become withdrawn and isolated, he just doesnt look happy.

We have probably all had jobs we struggle with and at times dont want to be there, it looks like maybe there is element of that, problem is he is having to do his job in front of thousands of people. Of course he gets paid money we can only dream of and he has the best job in the world but the brain is a funny thing and doesnt decide who can struggle and who cant based on their money or job.

I may be completely wrong, i dont think for all the above he is a natural footballer, he doesnt seem to have a football brain but as many others have shown you can have a good career playing to your strenghs, he is big quick and strong, you have to make full use of that and not try and teach him to be something he isnt but before any of that i would be looking into his mentality and state of mind.

On a purely human level I do think there is probably an element of this. He obviously has some glaring deficiencies in his game and has had a lot of coaches in the past 3 years; 1 in Germany, 5 at Albion, 2 at Celtic. He's also been flip-flopped between being a winger and a striker throughout this time.

I suspect all the coaches are broadly saying the same thing and trying to coach some game intelligence into him; and in combination with bursting onto the scene at 17 at Forest, being a £28 million player with the wages to match and being heralded as Scotland's Gareth Bale has probably left him with a pretty muddled sense of what he is as a player. 'Am I the the new Gareth Bale or am I rubbish?' - likely there's a mixed up combination of big ego and insecurity there.

It's unfortunate because he's probably a symptom of a system that is full of overblown hype with more money than sense - and far too much of both have been thrown in his direction.

I do feel for him in a sense because none of that is his fault but when it comes down to it he's a cracking athlete and a technically and tactically limited footballer. Lacks the basics of both and hasn't shown any signs.

Don't even want to think about how many millions we'll lose in transfer fees and wages.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:11:07 PM by tlms-p23 »

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #978 on: August 14, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
Although if (as is being reported) he/his agents are looking at trying to secure him a move back to Germany then that may explain his seeming on-field attitude last night.
Also wonder if he was told in the summer he was part of the thinking then we sign a load of wingers and forward players who are 'not just squad fillers' whether he thinks his time is up?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #979 on: August 14, 2019, 01:25:00 PM »
I cannot see any development to his game from when he joined.

More worryingly, I cannot believe this football club sanctioned such a large amount of spending on him. That money could have been better utilised elsewhere.

He's not a very good footballer - he has little understanding of the game and his technical play is lacking too. He has a good physique but that alone is not good enough.

He's not good enough to play out wide - so we've tried him as a striker - unfortunately, he does not look very good there either.

I would have expected a bit of enthusiasm from him last night, a bit of roar to try and get himself into the managers plans. What we got was the opposite.

I'd sooner watch Tulloch than him.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #980 on: August 14, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »
I've tried to defend the lad in the past, tried to focus on the good things about his game, but last night was the final straw for me.

He isn't a centre forward, and if we're talking out wide, he's behind Phillips, Perreira, Edwards, Diangana, and Willock for me.

He isn't going to make the most of himself, and it'll be all his fault. He'll be sat seeing out his contract with us, and then drift out of football imo.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #981 on: August 14, 2019, 01:30:57 PM »
Simply put, he’s not good enough.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #982 on: August 14, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
I cannot see any development to his game from when he joined.

More worryingly, I cannot believe this football club sanctioned such a large amount of spending on him. That money could have been better utilised elsewhere.

He's not a very good footballer - he has little understanding of the game and his technical play is lacking too. He has a good physique but that alone is not good enough.

He's not good enough to play out wide - so we've tried him as a striker - unfortunately, he does not look very good there either.

I would have expected a bit of enthusiasm from him last night, a bit of roar to try and get himself into the managers plans. What we got was the opposite.

I'd sooner watch Tulloch than him.

Some of the transfer decisions made by Williams/Hammond/Pulis in that period are astounding.

Bought Burke for £15 and rejected bids of £25m for Jonny Evans (to sell him for £3m 12 months later) and rejected £32m for Rondon. Staggering really.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/30/arsenal-leicester-city-fail-25m-jonny-evans-bids-manchester/

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2017/01/31/west-brom-transfer-news-baggies-did-reject-chinese-big-money-offer-for-salomon-rondon/

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #983 on: August 14, 2019, 02:25:18 PM »
A host of German clubs interested in him apparently

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/west-brom-attacker-the-subject-of-transfer-interest/

If that's the case I would let him go
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #984 on: August 15, 2019, 02:01:08 PM »
A host of German clubs interested in him apparently

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/west-brom-attacker-the-subject-of-transfer-interest/

If that's the case I would let him go

lets hope they "scout" and carry out as much due diligence as we obviously did or he ay going nowhere.

Not even sure about lower division or Germany.  It's a real shame but looks more and more like a non-league footballer to me.  Seen and played with lots who were strong and pacey....didn't mean they were footballers. 

Further problem is that he doesn't even seem to like much about being a footballer.  Captain for the Scotland under 21's due to his experience, but didn't really mix with the squad?  Not sure what he's like with the Albion boys?

I was excited when he signed and really hoped he would succeed,  and I wish him all the best if he does get a move, but i just can't see it.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #985 on: August 15, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
In fairness to Burke he took up some good positions during the first half which gave him opportunities to run at them. I have no idea if this was by luck or design but he grew visibly frustrated when play slowed down to be passed around midfield again as these opportunities passed. I also noticed that almost every time Furlong pressed down the right he moved inside, as did Diandana on occasions when Townsend pressed on the other flank. Tactical shift to the centre in anticipation of a ball in or hiding in plain sight? Either way he was pretty much non existent when playing through the middle in the second half. His magic power is speed when breaking past as defenders turn, negate that and currently he's largely a waste of a place.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #986 on: August 15, 2019, 02:37:17 PM »
In fairness to Burke he took up some good positions during the first half which gave him opportunities to run at them. I have no idea if this was by luck or design but he grew visibly frustrated when play slowed down to be passed around midfield again as these opportunities passed. I also noticed that almost every time Furlong pressed down the right he moved inside, as did Diandana on occasions when Townsend pressed on the other flank. Tactical shift to the centre in anticipation of a ball in or hiding in plain sight? Either way he was pretty much non existent when playing through the middle in the second half. His magic power is speed when breaking past as defenders turn, negate that and currently he's largely a waste of a place.

If we defend deep and smack the ball long beyond the defenders with Burke within five yards of them he can be an asset. Other than that, nothing. He doesn't anticipate anything, doesn't read the game, has no instinct, his touch is loose, his technique on the ball is poor going on very poor. He doesn't win any headers, he doesn't know how to defend from the front, the most limited of CB's just stroll past him.

Cut our losses / write off our losses and move on.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #987 on: August 15, 2019, 03:44:09 PM »
Like to think I have decent idea on players after a while , I've still got no idea what Burke's best position is . Other than pace he's offering nothing up front , I'd be tempted to try him out wide again. Starting to feel a bit for him , maybe best if he did move on.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #988 on: August 15, 2019, 03:52:14 PM »
Usain Bolt is an amazing athlete and a half decent footballer but that couldn’t make him worth is contract with a good standard of football club, is OB in a similar situation????
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #989 on: August 15, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »
Tells you alot about Tony Pulis' insight into attacking players. We pay £15 million for this guy who only manages one goal since he's been with us, whilst Serge Gnabry who was here on loan, hardly got any game time under Pulis. Now he's established himself in Bayern Munich first team and the German national team.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #990 on: August 15, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »
He needs to go to China or the MLS imo. He's a League 1 standard player at best. Can't believe we spunked £15m on the boy.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #991 on: August 15, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »

If we defend deep and smack the ball long beyond the defenders with Burke within five yards of them he can be an asset. Other than that, nothing. He doesn't anticipate anything, doesn't read the game, has no instinct, his touch is loose, his technique on the ball is poor going on very poor. He doesn't win any headers, he doesn't know how to defend from the front, the most limited of CB's just stroll past him.

You don't have to sit deep and smack long balls over the top to exploit Burke's pace. It can be played along the floor first time and at speed. Both Harper and Brunt had opportunities to do this on several occasions and for whatever reason chose not to.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #992 on: August 16, 2019, 07:17:23 AM »

He hasn’t got a footballing brain nor a first touch though which is the issue. Not to mention desire or work ethic

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #993 on: August 16, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
Think this is just a moot point now. It appears the one subject that we all agree on; whatever the question is, Burke is not the answer. may as well get him out on loan and cut our losses. There's no magic wand with this guy, whatever the reasons, he just doesn't cut it.
Shame because he was an exciting prospect. :(

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #994 on: August 16, 2019, 10:52:57 AM »
Tells you alot about Tony Pulis' insight into attacking players. We pay £15 million for this guy who only manages one goal since he's been with us, whilst Serge Gnabry who was here on loan, hardly got any game time under Pulis. Now he's established himself in Bayern Munich first team and the German national team.

Lets be fair, everything was wrong in 'Planet Pulis'.

The signing of Greg Krychowiak was another strange one. He never gave Gnarbry a chance and, having signed Burke, never really used him either........

I think there is a good footballer in Oliver to be honest, he just needs time and probably a loan to another club. 
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #995 on: August 16, 2019, 10:56:22 AM »

The signing of Greg Krychowiak was another strange one. He never gave Gnarbry a chance and, having signed Burke, never really used him either........

I think there is a good footballer in Oliver to be honest, he just needs time and probably a loan to another club.

Should have gone to Spec Savers 8)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #996 on: August 17, 2019, 07:22:40 PM »

We should loan him to Bolton they have no players and pay his wage if he plays. He has barely played for 3/4 years he has regressed and needs regular football
O Albion we love you

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #997 on: August 30, 2019, 01:53:15 PM »
Going to Alaves on a season long loan with a recall option in Jan, according to Matt Wilson on Twitter

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #998 on: August 30, 2019, 02:43:14 PM »
Going to Alaves on a season long loan with a recall option in Jan, according to Matt Wilson on Twitter

Oh wow! Weird, after what Slav said last week!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #999 on: August 30, 2019, 02:45:30 PM »
Oh wow! Weird, after what Slav said last week!

Compassionate leave to buy new budgie smugglers, or, decided he needs outing due to taking unapproved absence?  Could this be Slav sending a message that we will not be dicked about as we have previously (Bera)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!