Author Topic: Anything Stoke  (Read 303478 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Anything Stoke
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Stoke-chairman-Peter-Coates-warns-fans-20m-spending-spree-was-a-one-off-article794332.html

What happens when the money runs out. I think clubs like Stoke, Wigan and possibly Bolton have got these questions to ask in the not too near future. Coates has sounded a slight warning here that he wont be doing this again and although im sure he will still add to their coffers, the bloke is 73 now. Gartside at Bolton is 70 and Whelan at Wigan is 74. Eventually, they are going to have to sell up and it will be interesting to see how the three cope after that.
Boing Boing

fortressbritannia

« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Stoke-chairman-Peter-Coates-warns-fans-20m-spending-spree-was-a-one-off-article794332.html

What happens when the money runs out. I think clubs like Stoke, Wigan and possibly Bolton have got these questions to ask in the not too near future. Coates has sounded a slight warning here that he wont be doing this again and although im sure he will still add to their coffers, the bloke is 73 now. Gartside at Bolton is 70 and Whelan at Wigan is 74. Eventually, they are going to have to sell up and it will be interesting to see how the three cope after that.

Its a fair point to make in all fairness however we are currently pumping a lot of time and effort into our academy set up at the moment to help bring younger players throught the youth system, currently we have Andy Wilkinson, Ryan Shotton and Ben Marshall who all have/will play some part in this season and many to come. When the day comes when Peter Coates passes the club will be passed down to his two children Denis and John (who agains are all life long Stoke fans) it was Denise that persuaded her Dad to come back to the club 

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
It will be intresting to see how much Stoke spend in the next year or too.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #178 on: September 08, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
It will be intresting to see how much Stoke spend in the next year or too.

Not much according to Coates, but the foundations are laid so they should be alright.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »
Stoke still have the likes of Fuller and Sidibe, I expect them to get sold in the January window.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2011, 02:02:04 AM »
By the time the money is dry for Stoke, Bolton and Wigan, there will be three clubs with a similar spending mentality ready to replace them. That's the way it goes. Don't think for one second this will advantage us in the long run.
There's an abundance of top flight clubs from yester-year who fell short with finances and are now out of the top league - but it's not too long ago that Stoke, Bolton and Wigan where in other divisions either.

Basically, everytime a club gets relegated and loses its wealth, you can guarentee there will be someone financing a club somewhere else which will eventually hit the big time.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »
I agree wbargo, but for the teams involved, they have reason to be worried.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Its a fair point to make in all fairness however we are currently pumping a lot of time and effort into our academy set up at the moment to help bring younger players throught the youth system, currently we have Andy Wilkinson, Ryan Shotton and Ben Marshall who all have/will play some part in this season and many to come. When the day comes when Peter Coates passes the club will be passed down to his two children Denis and John (who agains are all life long Stoke fans) it was Denise that persuaded her Dad to come back to the club

Once he passes the club down to his children it will be interesting to see if they are prepared to put so much of their split wealth into the club. I'm not that convinced they will but you never know.

The academy and infrastructure should mean you will be safe financially but you have to produce one of the top academies around to survive on that. We have an academy that has had money pumped in for the last 8 or so years and we are still struggling to survive at this level. Your finances without Coates wouldnt be much different to ours and the only reason you are an established premier league club now is because Coates money is pushing you ahead of similar clubs your size. without the money, you rejoin the likes of us.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:15:03 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

fortressbritannia

« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2011, 12:13:03 PM »
Stoke still have the likes of Fuller and Sidibe, I expect them to get sold in the January window.

Fuller won't go Pulis loves the guy anyway its written into his contract that he must have a blinder against WBA.  ;D

j2burnz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
its a joke really, when he came to England he had a trial with us , played one game, scored 2 then was promptly sent packing by Lord Gary Megson after being advised he was not what we were looking for, I was ballboy at the trial game, he was immense

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »
Megson isnt the type of bloke to work with characters than need a lighter handling. If he feels they have a problem attitude, he does not sign them. it's what holds him back in the end because sometimes you have to deal with players who arent perfect.
Boing Boing

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
Fuller at times can be a great player, but he sometimes can be lazy and he has been in a bit of trouble.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »
Pulis might have one eye on the united job if this carries on.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »
I carnt see the United faithful liking to his style of football myself.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »

As much as he has done great things for stoke, i really could never see this happening
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
its a joke really, when he came to England he had a trial with us , played one game, scored 2 then was promptly sent packing by Lord Gary Megson after being advised he was not what we were looking for, I was ballboy at the trial game, he was immense
At the time we had Roberts at the club and they are very much from the same mould.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2011, 01:12:27 PM »
[quote au :Dthor=BobTaylor link=topic=52.msg76584#msg76584 date=1315678569]
[/quote]

:D :D :D

wbatesy

• WBA Coach

« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »

I was at that game, too. Can't be many of us that saw him score for the Albion!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »
Woodgate has been left out of Stoke's Europa League squad and has expressed his disappointment. I bet that was one of their selling points when trying to get Woodgate to sign for them!

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
I thought that too, it will be intresting to see how Stoke cope with those long trips in Europe.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2011, 05:54:26 PM »
Woodgate has been left out of Stoke's Europa League squad and has expressed his disappointment. I bet that was one of their selling points when trying to get Woodgate to sign for them!

He has stated he understands why the club have done it, last thing he and Stoke will want is more injury problems.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

fortressbritannia

« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2011, 08:34:18 PM »

Lets face it Woodgate's not stupid the likelyhood of him playing 2 games a week is about as likely as WBA beating Stoke  ;) he would have known that he wouldn't be playing in Europe

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2011, 08:35:36 PM »
Must be fears over his injury record to leave him out of the squad, I think they have a couple of long haul trips in their group so that probably wouldn't do him much good especially with a league game so soon after so it isn't too much of a surprise.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2011, 03:22:51 AM »

Hereford?
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:32 AM »

no one will get that job until fergy dies
England job! he motivates players thats what those pre madonnas need a man motivator! so either him or colin Wa**er at QPR
O Albion we love you