Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 767463 times)

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2011, 08:09:53 AM »
He's been 1/5 on sky bet for a while. Rumour sites have nothing to lose by posting bs but bookies stand to lose money. Those odds at the very least suggest there has been a large amount of cash been put on him with very little rumour around for regular punters to inform their bets.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
He's been 1/5 on sky bet for a while. Rumour sites have nothing to lose by posting bs but bookies stand to lose money. Those odds at the very least suggest there has been a large amount of cash been put on him with very little rumour around for regular punters to inform their bets.
There is never a lot of money staked in the next club transfer market so even a few small bets on foster would be enough for bookies to shorten his price.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »

Actually I just checked and on the 4/7/2011 he was 4/1 it is only today that the odds have gone to 1/5 - this is according to oddschecker who are usually spot on.

Could be significant - At least I hope so.
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »
Would love him here!!!!!!
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

baggie steve

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »
The bookies rarely get it wrong !! be fantastic if he comes to us , a great keeper

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »
Maybe this is what Deano was referring to when he said he was very excited about a new keeper coming in........a day after Given turned us down he was still excited.

He will cost us what £4/5m??

Great signing if we can do it.
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »
They spent £6m on him and they will want to make a profit on him after his performances last season. Unless we smash our transfer record on him then I think it is extremely unlikely.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2011, 11:04:14 AM »
They spent £6m on him and they will want to make a profit on him after his performances last season. Unless we smash our transfer record on him then I think it is extremely unlikely.
Could be why we are looking at/ signed a few free transfers :)
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
I think Foster or another keeper will join this weekend as i can't see Hodgson wanting to start pre-season tour without his number 1 to be honest.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2011, 11:17:42 AM »
Could be why we are looking at/ signed a few free transfers :)

Here's hoping but have we actually been linked with Foster in the local press yet or are we just going by the betting odds on one website?

Sussex-Baggie

« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2011, 11:21:01 AM »
I would really like to see us sign Ben Foster, but I can't see it happening unfortunately. He would cost a fair amount of money and I would have thought Birmingham City would rather sell him too a club willing to pay a higher price, which immediately reduces our chances of signing him.

Reading back over this thread, it seems as though some posters on here thought that Foster was not a dramatic improvement on Scott Carson. I always gave my full support to Carson, but Foster is by far the better goalkeeper, in my opinion. He makes the occasional error, but is a better shot-stopper and is still more commanding than Carson.

If we could realistically sign Foster, I think we should definitely consider making an offer!

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
The only way we could get him is if we offer them 2 players (Myhill,Miller) and give them 4 million
BOING BOING

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »
Chris said on twitter that Foster would be not target/way out our range, so doubt it will happen even though I would like it too.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
Chris said on twitter that Foster would be not target/way out our range, so doubt it will happen even though I would like it too.

To be fair, although he obviously knows more than the average joe, ie me and you, he is not the be all and end all of WBA transfer speculation... He can/has been wrong...

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »
I really do not see what the fuss is with Ben Foster, everytime i watched him last season he made mistakes quite a bit. Yes he is slighlty better than Carson but not alot better. Just my opinion of course.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »
To be fair, although he obviously knows more than the average joe, ie me and you, he is not the be all and end all of WBA transfer speculation... He can/has been wrong...

I know but its usually not a great sign to start with if he says it, the only thing we have going for us really is that we are apparently going to spend big when it comes to GK, the only player that really sticks out at the mo is Foster. with Given supposedly turning us down, which yet could turn out to be wrong as well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:29:35 AM by addy »

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »
Where was he when Billy Jones signed ?  ;D
BOING BOING

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »
Where was he when Billy Jones signed ?  ;D

Oi Oi No Chris bashing, its not allowed here!  8)

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
Here's hoping but have we actually been linked with Foster in the local press yet or are we just going by the betting odds on one website?
The fact that its not in the press suits me fine, but have you ever heard of a bookie giving such short odds without either large amounts going on it or inside info, Skybet is not even a small time bookie so to me that tells me more than tribal or the Mirror doing a write up on it! I may be wrong but to me there is something in it...
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »
The fact that its not in the press suits me fine, but have you ever heard of a bookie giving such short odds without either large amounts going on it or inside info, Skybet is not even a small time bookie so to me that tells me more than tribal or the Mirror doing a write up on it! I may be wrong but to me there is something in it...

Pretty sure it happened with us and Jermaine Beckford? From SkyBet too if I recall.

texisonfire

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »
The only way we could get him is if we offer them 2 players (Myhill,Miller) and give them 4 million

It's a good point because blues' squad is so small, that giving them players that we don't really need works for both parties
There are two great teams in the Black Country. West Bromwich Albion and West Bromwich Albion reserves.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2011, 12:42:03 PM »
He will be joining us on a 1 year loan deal, probably next week.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »
He will be joining us on a 1 year loan deal, probably next week.

And you know this...

bigbadjohn

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2011, 12:48:18 PM »
1 year loan deal haha thats so funny why why why would birmingham loan him to us they want to sell him .

Mulumbu99

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »
1 year loan deal haha thats so funny why why why would birmingham loan him to us they want to sell him .

why did we loan out davies/kuszack/valero ?