Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 446720 times)

Rich99

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:48 PM »
Credit to Morrison for playing on with a stitched head, Roy clearly thinks him important to the set up.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 09:06:31 PM »
Just bagged a good goal for Scotland, hes playing very well also, better than ive seen him play for ages for us. Watching this has actually reminded me how good he could be.

Recently i had lost faith in him abit because he has been poor mostly this season, bar a few very good goals. Hopefully he can get some form back next season.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »
just assisted a goal for dingle miller as well

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 09:17:30 PM »
Myhill is playing as well of course. Made some decent saves in the first half.

Gamma

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 09:24:56 PM »
He played very well actually and made some fantastic runs. Definitely one to keep ;) Not that anyone is suggesting otherwise, it's just I saw a post saying we'd be swapping him for Scott dann. Not only is that utter.. Rubbish ;) But Morrison is a great player to have.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 09:41:46 PM »
A big well done to mozza which has topped off a good few internationals for our guys with coxy scoring yesterday too
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 09:43:14 PM »
both had good games, morrison was very good going forward had alot of the ball and myhill made some good saves for a poor wales side

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 09:59:58 PM »
He played very well actually and made some fantastic runs. Definitely one to keep ;) Not that anyone is suggesting otherwise, it's just I saw a post saying we'd be swapping him for Scott dann. Not only is that utter.. Rubbish ;) But Morrison is a great player to have.
He hasn't been one of my favourite players this season and I've criticised him a fair bit, but I still see him as a good player and will be useful asset for the squad next season. Think he's a better right sided midfield player than an attacking mid behind the forward, and will be good backup to Brunt )as well as offering something different to him being right footed.)

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:55 PM »
Glad to see Mozza score at times this season, he has been poor, but then at other games he has looked very good.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Rich99

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
Well done to Mozza, it's his birthday as well I think, or so the commentator said.  Happy birthday.

Like with NI yesterday though, it was hardly the strongest Wales side in the world, so let's not get too carried away, he's not morphed into Messi overnight. :-*
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:04:52 PM by Rich99 »

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 10:11:03 PM »
Links up play reasonably well but it was a very good performance from the lad tonight.

Just seems there are some games where he doesn't actually appear to do much even though he is still doing the basics well so I think that clouds our judgement of him at times, the reason he looks better on the wing for us is that it gets him more involved in play I think.

Rich99

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 10:15:17 PM »
I think he's certainly good enough for our squad and is a mid table, lower Premiership quality player.

The odd spectacular goal aside I think he's a no thrills technically competent bod, who links up play fairly well.  He's very much a cog in a team, rather than an individual, in my opinion.

If we were to move him on (I very much doubt we will) I'm fairly sure another Premiership side would come in for him, at very least a newly promoted one.  I don't think one can say that for all our players.

He's certainly good enough for our squad right now, in my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:17:20 PM by Rich99 »

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »
Think he's good, but not good enough for us. Perhaps a good attacking sub to bring on and we should keep him, but right now there's no room for him.

It just goes to show how much we've improved. It wasn't 3 seasons ago that the likes of Bednar, Zuiverloon, Koren and Teixera where 'our future'. Now they have all be sold on surplus to requirements. Shows the club has improved in a short moment of time.

Still, I wouldn't class him in their bracket. He's still got some amazing skills, but too often is inconsistent to be a starter.

Ogwani

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 10:47:20 PM »
Keep Morrison in the squad, he was Scotland's best player tonight IMO. He's too lightweight for a holding role and is more suited at being in behind a striker but he's only young and can improve. Very good squad player for us.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
Morrison is entering his best years as footballer now. Hopefully he can find his top form for next season, overall I had expected a little bit more from him this season. But he definitely has chipped in with telling contributions in games this year.

If we get a good offer I think the club could move him on this summer, but it would have to be a really good offer. Jimmy is a good little player but he will have to work his butt off this summer to stay in the team, which can only be a good thing. He is not an automatic choice anymore and he has to rise to that challenge.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »
http://thesun.mobi/thescottishsun/sport/3605687/Scots-midfield-is-best-for-decades.html?mob=1

""We've actually got more players available to us now. I'm talking strength in depth. The biggest improvement for me over the last year has been James Morrison. He has been a revelation, and has now firmly established himself as one of our main players.

"I'm trying to get players to track back, doing the horrible, nasty stuff, and James is doing that. What pleases most is that he is learning to play that attacking midfield role.

Fantastic

"He [Morrison] cleverly gets himself into areas and spots where gaps are going to appear before they appear. When he gets there his touch and his awareness is fantastic.

"James doesn't say an awful lot, but he is a tremendous example to other players, in the way he plays and behaves.

"His team-mates are big fans. He doesn't get a lot of credit for the way he plays the game, but he has got everything. He's quick, he's fit, he is technically very good, he's got a very good game intelligence. "

High praise indeed :p

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2011, 07:29:47 PM »
He is a gritty little player with some ability but he wasnt as good this year as he was the last time in the prem.

I cant help but feel in the next few years both WBA and Scotland will have better midfielder's available to them who may keep Mozza on the sidelines.
Boing Boing

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2011, 07:30:44 PM »
Pity he as not improved with us this season
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2011, 07:34:50 PM »
On the other hand very few players improve in a steady curve. If Mozza is with us next season I hope he finally takes that next step up to a higher level. He is at a good age to do so now.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
He spent most of last season out injured and beforehand was predominantly used out wide.

We have to remember he is still relatively young and I'm not entirely sure that role behind the front man suits his game.

He is without doubt Premier League quality and should be part of our squad.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »
He spent most of last season out injured and beforehand was predominantly used out wide.

We have to remember he is still relatively young and I'm not entirely sure that role behind the front man suits his game.

He is without doubt Premier League quality and should be part of our squad.

I must admit i have been James Morrison's biggest critic but you are right he was out with a lengthy injury last season.Cut him some slack,Big season for him next season
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2011, 11:45:34 PM »
I like Mozza starting out wide and drifting into the middle to find the gaps. Similar to Brunty I suppose. I thought when Brunt and Thomas were missing against Villa, Morrison played really well and I was impressed by his willingness to get on the ball and lead. Unfortunately Vela on the other flank was trying to do the same and it didn't quite work in that game but it showed to me that that is where Morrison is best. Bit too lightweight to start in the middle but drifting in from wide to find the gaps suits him to the ground, I think.

BearwoodBaggie

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »

I must admit i have been James Morrison's biggest critic but you are right he was out with a lengthy injury last season.Cut him some slack,Big season for him next season

Me too, I've been critical at times but I do agree that his heel injury played a part in that, next season he will be better. Undoubtedly got very good technical ability and good work rate. Good player to have.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 05:47:45 PM »
Well done to Mozza, technically he's okay although the attacking midfielder position is suited for much better players in my opinion with myself favouring Graham Dorrans, Simon Cox and Somen Tchoyi to that role.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »
Deserved praise for Mozza, he is a good player and glad we have him.

I hope Roy finds a more defined role for him next season. Mozza is very very good at finding those little pockets of space, now he needs to learn to take the game to the opponents penalty area more. I am a little frustrated with him because I feel there is a real player in there and he is tantalizingly close to breaking out, but inconsitency (lack of defined role?) keeps him back. He must learn to stamp his authority on games more instead of drifting in and out and take the game by the horns and force it his way. He must be a leader on the pitch for us.

However he is only 25, over the next three or four years I hope we will see a first rate player emerge, he has it in him. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:52:42 PM by GrGr »