Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 443955 times)

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
I think hes definitely good enough.  The only problem for him is he has no defined role.

He's not strong enough to play in central midfield and his close range passing isnt good enough.  Mulumbu and Scharner are far better in that deep role.  Playing in that advanced role I dont think suits him either.  He doesnt contribute enough goals in that role IMO.  Cox and Dorrans are better options.

I think his best position is out wide.  He's tricky, close control is good, neat and tidy and can deliver a decent cross. His problem is that Brunt and Thomas and now possibly Gera will be ahead of him too.

He'll be a great squad player because I think he has definite Premier League quality but I'm just not sure he would first team material.

If we recieved a good offer for him I'd be tempted to cash in and reinvest where the squad needs strengthening.  i.e. RB, CB and CF.

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
Yes, I think he'll be a surprise star for us this season on the right wing. He wasn't even that bad last season, I know it can be a cliche but he really does do a lot of work that people don't notice, often playing that second last pass before a goal for example.

He's a good all round midfielder as well, who can do a bit of everything, so very much a Hodgson type of midfielder.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »
He was our best player in the premier league season under Mowbray so he can hack this level but im not sure how he fits into our midfield at the moment. Seems the most obvious casualty if Gera and Thorne our going to get into the side.
Boing Boing

RyanCoops

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »
Think a lot of his work goes unnoticed, such as assists for goals (Odemwingie's first ever goal for us v Sunderland) as well as coming up with the odd screamer, definitely can make a big impact for us this upcoming season.
I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and got into bed before the room was dark. - Muhammed Ali

blandyisabaggie

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:13 PM »
I think hes worth keeping as a quality squad player. He can pick out a ball so well sometimes and can hit a ball so hard. However, he needs to get on the weights

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
I am a bit unsure about Mozza, he is a good back up player and scores soem great goals.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2011, 09:47:53 AM »
It's his quality on the ball that makes him a good player, should keep him as he showed last year he can play anywhere in midfield always gives 110% definately should keep him.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
Not good enough to start.much to lightweight.Championship Player.In his defense since his injury hes not been the same player
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:29:44 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Jack_Wba11

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »
The 08/09 season (I think it was), I felt he was our best player. He was the one player that looked like he could make something happen, he used to run at the defenders and really provide an extra spark. Since he has come back from injury he hasn't really looked the same and I would say he has looked one of the weaker players in and around the first 11. I think we should keep him for a season unless we can use him to secure a big signing.

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
Oh dear it looks like the Scottish International James Morrison is going to be the new target now Scotty has eloped to Turkey. This has been on the cards since people assumed he was going to replace Dorrans. This guy is good enough for Albion and probably good enough for over 50% of premier league teams.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:58:05 AM by Baggies »

elminius

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
Oh dear it looks like the Scottish International James Morrison is going to be the new target now Scotty has eloped to Turkey. This has been on the cards since people assumed he was going to replace Dorrans. This guy is good enough for Albion and probably good enough for over 50% of premier league teams.

So assuming Dorrans plays next season where would you play Morrison? He cant tackle to save his life and he doesnt have a burst of speed or trickery to be a winger so what is his best position? Personally for me if he doesnt merit a starting place then I would sell as he doesnt provide any impact coming off the bench

wbatesy

• WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »
Every time I moaned about him being weak last season he shut me up by scoring so long may it continue: James, you aren't good enough! ;)

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2011, 11:18:21 AM »
Send him to daddy mowbray at boro. :-X
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »
Time for him to move on.He is a squad player at best
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2011, 11:30:47 AM »

Total over-reaction there and trying to make something from nothing.

So by your theory people cannot have a view on a player unless its to sa the sun shines out of his backside ?

From what I can see the posts in this thread are all non abusive  and in no way suggest he is the 'new target' just people saying what they think of him on the pitch.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Unless a shiny new signing comes to us, I see no reason to get rid. He is easily good enough as a squad player and do a job coming off the bench.
We've gone on holiday by mistake!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »
On his day and played in his right position Morrisson is a quality player.
I dont believe we saw the best of him last season and he will need to step up his game this year with Dorrans and potentially another new signing being available.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

elminius

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2011, 11:59:42 AM »
Unless a shiny new signing comes to us, I see no reason to get rid. He is easily good enough as a squad player and do a job coming off the bench.

What sort of job he is hardly an impact player is he?

Ogwani

« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
Morrison does a job. Obviously I'd prefer to see other people such as Dorrans or even Tchoyi playing over him but he's scored a few important goals this season and worked hard every game. He deserves his place in the club and is still only young and probably keen to challenge for starting position which is always good motivation for our other players. The fact Morrison is now listed as one of our squad players just shows how much we've progressed over the past few years.

Slimbo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »
I think hes definitely good enough.  The only problem for him is he has no defined role.

Spot on, who do you drop Mulumbu, Scharner, Dorrans, Brunt, Thomas - none of the above.

I like Mozza and hope he still has a big future at the Albion.
I drink to forget but I don't forget to drink

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »
I think how much game time he gets will depend on the shape and style of football Roy adopts. Morrison can play either wide right or as the attacking midfielder in a 4-5-1 although I do not think he will be first choice in either position.  If Roy moves to a 4-4-2 then his opportunities will greatly diminish. If he is not getting game time then I think he will move on at the end of the season.

Yes I think he is good enough and if we as fans really start to question players of Morrison's calibre as being good enough for the Albion we are about join the ranks of deluded at Villa Park and the Sports Direct Stadium.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
This shows to me either

i) how far we have come as a team to even consider whether Morrison is good enough to play for the Albion

or

ii) how much the expectations of our fans have grown?

Scottish international Morrison is clearly (in my opinion  ::)) good enough to play for the Albion. Is he first choice in any of the positions he plays, possibly not at the minute. Will this be the case all season, with injuries and suspensions, probably not.

Morrison or Tony Kelly?
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

BaggieBoiJono

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2011, 02:43:59 PM »
These kind of threads do my head in, James Morrison is a very good player and were lucky to have him.

Anybody who goes to the games would not vote NO.

His link up play with Odemwingie at times was brilliant, hes got a great shot and works very hard.

bubz

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2011, 02:48:22 PM »
Always something to moan about on here, Morrison made a great contribution last season in keeping us up by scoring some very important goals, he is definitely good enough, he is never going to be the greatest player but he works hard, has good technical ability and an eye for goal, I don't really see how you people can say he isn't good enough.

If Morrison becomes the new scapegoat for fans then that is pathetic.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2011, 02:57:21 PM »
We may as well close the site down then if we aren't going to be able to discuss our opinions on here. No one is going to games and singling him out for criticism just for the sake of it after every game unfairly like other players have been in the past.

People can say he isn't good enough by judging his performances for themselves, there were too many games where he was a passenger last season and with a fully fit squad I reckon most on here wouldn't have Morrison in their starting XI. That does not make him a scapegoat at all with many saying he is still a good squad member but if you could improve that position then he would be the one to lose out for me, never any middle ground with some though it is either one extreme of the other.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:02:37 PM by B_H_Baggie »