Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 284734 times)

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #550 on: October 14, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »
He will get his chance.. keep him I'd say.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #551 on: October 14, 2018, 10:37:06 PM »
If he were to be sold (and therefore make no impact for us) then he'd have to be our worst ever transfer based on his lack of game time and the fact that the £15 million could have easily improved us enough to get survival in the Premier League if spent more wisely.

Out of interest did Pulis go for him or was it the board? Whoever targeted him needs the sack!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #552 on: October 14, 2018, 10:41:16 PM »
When we signed him I was not against it. His time at Forest showed a lot of potential but he never struck me as a Pulis player and never worth 15m even in today's inflated market.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #553 on: October 15, 2018, 09:50:59 AM »
From the recent match reports he's been playing well and scoring for the under 23's.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #554 on: October 15, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »
I really think he should at least be on the bench instead of HRK

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #555 on: October 15, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
I really think he should at least be on the bench instead of HRK
Different kind of player to HRK though; wouldn't be an exact swap tactically.

There have been times when his pace would have been a good option off the bench though, especially when we've tried to sit back and preserve a lead. He would give us the ability to take any clearances into the opposition half and relieve a bit of pressure.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #556 on: October 15, 2018, 10:31:51 AM »

it was on social media this morning. Spurs, Newcastle and Brighton were mentioned.

I think that it would be a mistake to sell him without giving him a good run in our 1st team. Spurs are no fools and if they are sniffing around then they can clearly see something that we can't.........so play him.
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #557 on: October 15, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »
I'm not sure we are looking to sell him, an unsupported story in the Sun and some online things aren't exactly reliable sources.

He is getting game time with the U23's, which unless I'm mistaken is where we develop players and also get them up to match fitness so that when they are called upon they will be ready. I'd be surprised if he's not on the bench between now and the heavy build up leading into the new year.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #558 on: October 15, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »
Mixed feelings for me , I can still see the same flaws he had at Forest despite two moves and a number of managers . Something, somewhere isn't quite right , I can understand Pulis and Pardew but most players seem to respond to Moore so far.
Maybe its not down to the coaching staff.

There's responding to Moore, then there is actual coaching. Our defence looks just as shambolic now as it did when Darren first started using the three at the back, I see a distinct lack of any coaching going on at our place. Burke has a lot of raw talent, so does Field, neither of them seem to be improving from what I have seen of them thus far.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #559 on: October 15, 2018, 10:58:04 AM »
I'm not sure we are looking to sell him, an unsupported story in the Sun and some online things aren't exactly reliable sources.

He is getting game time with the U23's, which unless I'm mistaken is where we develop players and also get them up to match fitness so that when they are called upon they will be ready. I'd be surprised if he's not on the bench between now and the heavy build up leading into the new year.
Spot on, I think and hope that you are right.

Just out of interest, why was this part of the thread moved to the "transfer forum" section on the basis of some complete conjecture silliness in the Sun? It's not as if anyone has actually said anything.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #560 on: October 15, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »
There's responding to Moore, then there is actual coaching. Our defence looks just as shambolic now as it did when Darren first started using the three at the back, I see a distinct lack of any coaching going on at our place. Burke has a lot of raw talent, so does Field, neither of them seem to be improving from what I have seen of them thus far.
Then maybe thats whats missing with Burke , I've never thought much to Livermore , Gibbs or Phillips effort wise pre Moore . All three of those are busting a gut for Moore now , I've no proof but maybe thats what Burke has been lacking under a number of managers now at a few clubs.
Will agree on Field , I find his lack of games frustrating.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #561 on: October 15, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »
He will get his chance.. keep him I'd say.

I agree, most players are affected by tony pulis football
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #562 on: October 15, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »

But how much of them have you seen?, its a bit harsh making judgements on them or the coaching when we haven't seen them play (isn't it?)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #563 on: October 15, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »
Could this be an agent led story ?
Albion Family !!!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #564 on: October 15, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
But how much of them have you seen?, its a bit harsh making judgements on them or the coaching when we haven't seen them play (isn't it?)

Saw them in the cup games as they are the only chance I have had to see them playing 'proper' football, as the under 23 league is truly pointless.

I have seen our defence in every game this season...

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #565 on: October 15, 2018, 12:08:35 PM »
Spot on, I think and hope that you are right.

Just out of interest, why was this part of the thread moved to the "transfer forum" section on the basis of some complete conjecture silliness in the Sun? It's not as if anyone has actually said anything.

because unfounded or not it is still about a potential transfer.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #566 on: October 15, 2018, 12:13:26 PM »
Saw them in the cup games as they are the only chance I have had to see them playing 'proper' football, as the under 23 league is truly pointless.

I have seen our defence in every game this season...

A couple of things
a) Defence, DM has been very open in admitting that there has been very little time for coaching with the schedule to date, obviously the international break will have helped here (I don't think any of our defenders will have been away with national squads)

b) U23 league is the only option available apart from bench warming, which (in my view) cannot help players develop, I agree its far from ideal, but its all there is. (The midland clubs should bring back the central league, for younger members benefit, this was a "reserve league" which was very useful for bringing kids on and getting injured players match fit and being a midlands based league there was usually a bit of competitiveness about it)

c) I firmly believe that DM is being pragmatic in using the squad he has in the most suitable formation he can, if he had different players available I feel sure he would change it around, and its very hard to argue that it isn't working.
Albion Family !!!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #567 on: October 15, 2018, 01:22:40 PM »
Different kind of player to HRK though; wouldn't be an exact swap tactically.

There have been times when his pace would have been a good option off the bench though, especially when we've tried to sit back and preserve a lead. He would give us the ability to take any clearances into the opposition half and relieve a bit of pressure.
Yes, HRK is obviously seen as a "hold up" man, but Rodriguez or Phillips could go into that role if needed - Burke would give us that extra option off the bench as you say.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #568 on: October 15, 2018, 11:29:39 PM »
I keep hearing how hard we are working on Harvey Barnes in training to improve him .
I hope we are giving Burke as much time and dedication to improve him.
Reminds me a little of Theo Walcott. Too much pace sometimes, but that is a gift you can utilise 

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #569 on: October 15, 2018, 11:52:45 PM »
I don't know how true this actually is, but radio wm football phone in's Franks said Newcastle are preparing a bid for Burke.

I hope this is true and we get at least half the money we wasted on him.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #570 on: October 15, 2018, 11:56:20 PM »
I don't know how true this actually is, but radio wm football phone in's Franks said Newcastle are preparing a bid for Burke.

I hope this is true and we get at least half the money we wasted on him.

Don't know about preparing a bid but the rumour is that Newcastle, Tottenham and one other have been scouting him.

Agent speaks with forked tongue perhaps?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #571 on: October 16, 2018, 01:14:51 AM »
This is very odd. The usual pattern is kid gets big money move too early it does not pan out moves to another club does not work there (for whatever reason) they move on probably to a lower level club possibly on loan.

Yet here is Olly Burke being courted by 3 Premier League clubs one of whom is in the Champions League. We are completely clueless and absolutely have no idea of the talent we have on our hands or maybe we do given we shelled out a hefty fee for him but just lack the wisdom to actually use it. The alternative is this is a load of nonsense cooked up by an agent who has already moved the player twice on the basis of a highlights reel that is now 2 seasons old and growing older by the week.

For what it is worth I feel sorry for him. Things are not working the fee is not his fault and the signing was typical of the muddle headed thinking that has engulfed the club over recent times. In short you don't spend £15m or £10m rising to £15m unless that player is a first team player with a clear role to fulfil and let's face it that was not the case and everything else stems from that basic flaw.

I hope that there is some substance in the rumours we get our money back and Burke gets his career back on track some place else but I fear there is nothing to see here.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #572 on: October 16, 2018, 02:37:39 AM »
 ;D Need to send him out in January to a "lower" Championship club....see how he goes with game time.....then assess in May his progress or lack of.

Also get him playing for the Under 23 's up until then and monitor his performances.

May be a "player" in there with the right "nurturing" :D

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #573 on: October 16, 2018, 07:57:22 AM »
i'd only be selling him if we could buy Barnes with the money

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #574 on: October 16, 2018, 01:53:53 PM »
Useless, get rid ASAP.

More of a waste of money than Chadli and that was hard to beat!