Author Topic: Albion 3rd Best Value Club in the Premier League  (Read 3727 times)

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

Albion 3rd Best Value Club in the Premier League
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18115990

'Best value for money' for fans

The bank chart compares club season ticket costs with Premier League performance and entertainment value and getting the most points for your pound.

ING places QPR, who just avoided relegation, at the bottom of the table.

Wigan, who had a great escape from relegation, are second best value, and West Bromwich Albion third.

Second bottom were Liverpool, whose eighth-place finish in the top flight, Carling Cup triumph and FA Cup final place were not enough to counteract a high season ticket cost and poor scoring record.

And Wolves found themselves in both the official and value relegation zones.

The value league was compiled by comparing season ticket prices with points earned, and with a bonus for goals scored, deemed to affect fans' enjoyment of the game.

Just under half of fans felt they received good value for money in the 2011-12 season just ended, and as a result are seriously thinking about whether or not to renew their season ticket for the next campaign.

However it seems that clubs are listening to their concerns, with more than half of Premiership teams (12 of the 20) freezing or lowering their season ticket prices this year in an attempt to retain fans.

Relegated Blackburn Rovers have the most disgruntled fans - many of whom have staged protests in the past season against Indian owners Venky's and manager Steve Kean - with more than half of ticket holders (56%) saying they will not renew.

Aston Villa, who just dodged relegation and recently sacked manager Alex McLeish, had a third of fans (31%) saying they planned to cancel their tickets.

Two-thirds of supporters (67%) also say that a wage cap for Premier League footballers would be a positive move.

Arsenal captain Robin Van Persie topped the "best value player" poll, followed by Newcastle United striker Demba Ba and Tottenham's Scott Parker.

The report's compilation was overseen by Dr Steve Kelly from the University of Huddersfield, an expert in sports and club finance and structures.

Strange considering so many of our fans on here have moaned that we have been too boring to watch this season. Though I dont think any of our fans can really moan at the fairness of our season ticket prices.

Great news for the club this though, I would expect us to sell out the cap on season tickets allocated this year after the reduction coupled with the fact the value for money our season tickets represent.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:39:41 PM by Quakes Fan »
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

Re: Albion 3rd Best Value Club in the Premier League
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »
Surely that cant be right.

Season ticket cost should be compared with entertainment at home matches.

On that basis we'd be nowhere near the top.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
Was just about to post this when i saw your thread. Can't believe we're third when we scored one of the least amounts of home goals. How is this worked out?

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »
If I remember this from previous seasons.. I think a lot of the value aspect is in relation to points gained per money spent/turnover.

It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
Surely that cant be right.

Season ticket cost should be compared with entertainment at home matches.

On that basis we'd be nowhere near the top.

Surely it must look at home and away matches.

We've won more games and scored more goals away than we have at the Hawthorns this season.
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
I suppose it takes into consideration the away teams goals too? Off the top of my head I can only remember 2 nil nils (fulham and man city) also the price of a season ticket was less than £400, yes Arsenal may be more entertaining for example but the price is 2/3 times more expensive so im guessing a few things get factored in....does this mean we qualify for Europe now??  ;D
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Jack_Wba11

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 03:28:16 PM »
Personally I think this type of thing doesn't really work with statistics. I don't believe that overall we have had the third best value for money this season. I guess what some of you are saying is right in that it's majorly based on points?

Jack_Wba11

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »
I suppose it takes into consideration the away teams goals too? Off the top of my head I can only remember 2 nil nils (fulham and man city) also the price of a season ticket was less than £400, yes Arsenal may be more entertaining for example but the price is 2/3 times more expensive so im guessing a few things get factored in....does this mean we qualify for Europe now??  ;D

We also drew 0-0 with Aston Villa at home!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
We also drew 0-0 with Aston Villa at home!
That was forgetful to be fair  ;)
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Frankowba11

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »
Well if we were 3rd this year (season ticket prices starting at £399 adults)
Next year we might move to 2nd ( cheapest £350)

And before the pessimists start I know it's done fresh every year it's just a joke!

bournemouth baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 06:23:08 AM »
Would be interested to see how we did in 2010-11 when our home form was much better. Anyone know where to start looking?

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion