Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725137 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2125 on: May 16, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »
I mentioned Cowley a month or two ago.

I didn't realise so many of our fans watched Lincoln regularly, as many have a good knowledge of his playing style. Personally, I am immensely impressed with his record and he obviously has something about him. Give him a chance, I say.

Hughton hardly plays Guardiola style football, does he?

Problem with Cowley is it's virtually John Beck unwatchable.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2126 on: May 16, 2019, 07:49:26 PM »

I've not seen much Lincoln, but if that's true, he's a non-starter.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2127 on: May 16, 2019, 07:52:32 PM »

Look, I can't profess to have seen much of Lincoln (think I've seen about 2 games in two seasons), but it can't be as bad as people are saying, surely?

I watched Brighton against Spurs a few weeks ago and it made Pulis look like total football.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

lindenbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2128 on: May 16, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »
So many to choose from, so we can speculate as much as we want. David Moyes would do for me. Won't get him though because our ambitions wouldn't necessarily match his. Worth a chat to find out though, like we did with Hodgson.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2129 on: May 16, 2019, 08:10:16 PM »
Failing to win promotion will I suspect have put a serious  limitation on who we could afford or attract. Whilst I would like to see a youngish foreign coach because I genuine!y believe they are technical!ly and tactically better, reality says it will be somebody from our current level or below , for me in this category two of the better appointments (discounting Potter) would be either the bloke at Barnsley or Mark Robins.
Disappointing that the powers that be still don't seem to have any idea  who they want as I would have thought we should have had two shortlists drawn up ready to take action !
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:14:10 PM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2130 on: May 16, 2019, 08:26:36 PM »
I'd like to see Lee Johnson from Bristol City get the job, plays decent football with enough experience at this level.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2131 on: May 16, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »
I think we should get Hughton in at this stage and stop messing around. Then give him the biggest budget we can and move heaven and earth to resign Gayle permanently. Without him we are screwed.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2132 on: May 16, 2019, 08:59:12 PM »
Please, please not Hughton. I’ve never liked the bloke, a miserable git. I would quite like the Monk from Brum but can’t see our board paying the compensation. I’d rather have Allardyce than Hughton and I don’t want him either!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:12:52 PM by MarkW »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2133 on: May 16, 2019, 09:10:36 PM »

Better start growing that grass longer in the corners then

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2134 on: May 16, 2019, 09:31:06 PM »
I am really impressed with everyone's knowledge of Lincoln City, maybe some of you might try watching the Baggies sometime. ;)
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2135 on: May 16, 2019, 09:32:25 PM »
Better start growing that grass longer in the corners then

What's Dion Dublin up to?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2136 on: May 16, 2019, 09:40:18 PM »
Please, please not Hughton. I’ve never liked the bloke, a miserable git. I would quite like the Monk from Brum but can’t see our board paying the compensation. I’d rather have Allardyce than Hughton and I don’t want him either!

My thoughts exactly, and those were my feelings long before he accused us of singing racist songs in the cup replay and urging the FA to act when absolutely nothing of the sort was being sung or chanted. Should have got his facts rights before slagging us off to the press. Absolute toss pot.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2137 on: May 16, 2019, 09:42:16 PM »
I am really impressed with everyone's knowledge of Lincoln City, maybe some of you might try watching the Baggies sometime. ;)

You are not Mark Jenkins are you?

Oblivious to the strengths and weakness of alternative management options!  ;)
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2138 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »

homes under the hammer :D

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2139 on: May 16, 2019, 10:30:12 PM »
Look, I can't profess to have seen much of Lincoln (think I've seen about 2 games in two seasons), but it can't be as bad as people are saying, surely?

I watched Brighton against Spurs a few weeks ago and it made Pulis look like total football.

If I was a Brighton fan i would have been raging at that performance it was cowardly.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2140 on: May 16, 2019, 10:31:44 PM »

Probably trying to avoid Alex Ferguson and his measuring tape in the showers.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2141 on: May 16, 2019, 10:56:06 PM »
You are not Mark Jenkins are you?

Oblivious to the strengths and weakness of alternative management options!  ;)
Not at all, I will be there home and away whoever the manager is, not getting stressed about it, all this "if it's him that's me finished" nonsense. I know quite a lot about Chris Hughton and his career, I know little of Danny Cowley, except that he is a winner in the lower leagues .There is no guarantee that any manager will fit the bill. Too many managers being being labelled as "Pulis type" on here based on heresay.
As for Mark Jenkins , he has a big decision to make, and he has already made mistakes , but he is not entirely to blame for the position we are in. His predecessors who paid £100k per week to players who contributed nothing to the club are more culpable.
I have some empathy with the guy, whoever he chooses will be the wrong choice for many.......we wait with bated breath

Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

albionden

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2142 on: May 16, 2019, 11:16:55 PM »
In 180mins of football against Wolves last season, Hughtons Brighton managed 1 shot on target in total (admittedly it did result in a 1-0 victory) Is this the type of football we really want to watch ?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2143 on: May 16, 2019, 11:35:20 PM »
I agree with the comment that there does not seem to be a consistent thread in the candidates that the board are considering

Jokanović, Neil, Hughton, Vieira, and Cowley. The only consistent theme is results in that they all have got teams promoted with the exception of Vieira. Yet in terms of style they could not be more divergent. Obviously the huge proviso is that all of this is speculation based on media reports and if you ditched the more pragmatic options looks a lot less scattergun. It is questionable based on the reports if the board have a clear idea of what they want to achieve with this appointment other than casting around for the quickest route to promotion.

It takes little or no effort to find out that Cowley's style is Pulisball. Lincoln's style of play is noteworthy because even by league 2 standards it is pretty basic and there is plenty of informed comment to that effect.

I think we should get Hughton in at this stage and stop messing around. Then give him the biggest budget we can and move heaven and earth to resign Gayle permanently. Without him we are screwed.

The 2 things are mutually incompatible. Get Hughton who plays with a lone target man and then pull out all the stops to recruit a player who does not fit the bill. If you want Gayle then you need a manager whose teams pass the ball and line up in a 3-5-2 or a 4-3-3.

In 180mins of football against Wolves last season, Hughtons Brighton managed 1 shot on target in total (admittedly it did result in a 1-0 victory) Is this the type of football we really want to watch ?

No not really but assuming he has a squad which is above average in the Championship it won't be quite that crabby next season the problem arises if we get promotion.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2144 on: May 16, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »

No, I prefer to lose 5-4 every week and a drop to tier 3.

albionden

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2145 on: May 16, 2019, 11:50:21 PM »
here's a novelty, how about somewhere between the two ? ? ? 

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2146 on: May 17, 2019, 12:26:35 AM »
here's a novelty, how about somewhere between the two ? ? ?

Hughton is in the middle, as his goals for in tier 2 far exceeds pulis, but he clearly has a problem, like most in the prem finding a prolific striker.

Get a good scouting system and with a bit of luck we find more odemwingies and lakaku's and less brown ideye's and we can progress.

He got to a fa cup semi (with all those extra games with a smallish squad and replays) and prem safety, yet here are some turning their nose up to him too.

Reality check, Pep ain't coming.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2147 on: May 17, 2019, 08:11:09 AM »
I like the sound of Cowley, he is clearly a great manager at the lower levels...whether that can be translated to the Championship is unknown, but he is somewhat experienced with a good track record. I know the Sheffield United manager started under similar lower-league circumstances.

In terms of ugly football, Hughton isn't too far off Pulis anyway.
Isn't it at Lincoln where they play a bloody air raid siren every time they get a corner.
Says it all for me no!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2148 on: May 17, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »
Hughton is in the middle, as his goals for in tier 2 far exceeds pulis, but he clearly has a problem, like most in the prem finding a prolific striker.

Get a good scouting system and with a bit of luck we find more odemwingies and lakaku's and less brown ideye's and we can progress.

He got to a fa cup semi (with all those extra games with a smallish squad and replays) and prem safety, yet here are some turning their nose up to him too.

Reality check, Pep ain't coming.

The Pep to Pulis scale. Two extremes is there a happy medium? If Pulis is zero and Pep 10 who is 5? It is not possible to be less attacking than Pulis so almost by default everybody else is at least 1. In the Premier League it probably is Nunes.

Although most coaches  don't sit in the middle ground most cluster toward one end or other of scale. Either fundametally defensive in their approach or attack minded.

If you look at Hughton's Brighton this season they have low possession and low shot volumes not just in comparison with the top 6 but their peers. Bolt Agüero onto the front of the team and it still might not fix the problem. The argument might be better applied to Huddersfield or Cardiff.

I think you have to accept that Hughton's Brighton were properly bad this year. That is fine he has plenty of depth to his CV that suggests in the right environment he would be a decent appointment.

Oddly enough looking at similar stats for Nice would suggest that Vieria was a coach who lacked the striker. His team posted only slightly below average shot numbers had the third highest possession but a really poor scoring record.

Isn't it at Lincoln where they play a bloody air raid siren every time they get a corner.
Says it all for me no!

It is!! Seriously No just No. I think we are being played here leak the rumour it could be Cowley and Hughton suddenly looks like Pep.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2149 on: May 17, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
Says it all for me no!

Yes it is, I went to watch Linoln v Yeovil (some of my mates are Yeovil fans and I went along for a laugh and a night out).

The first time the siren went off I wet myself at the hilarity of it (after initially thinking a fire alarm had gone off).

The game itself was atrocious, the fact that Yeovil were in terrible form about to be relegated, and Lincoln top of the league they hardly blew them away. It was a scrappy 1-0 to Lincoln. I know it's a one off game and I haven't seen Lincoln play otherwise but I wouldn't be excited at the prospect of Cowley.