Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 850880 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #725 on: July 13, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »
Exactly. The kids are only going to prove themselves if they get the chance. If we have a team full of home grown players then our support will be 100% behind them, the atmosphere will be the best it's been for years and I've got a gut feeling that the kids will rise to the occasion. If they know the supporters are totally behind them, which they will be, the youngsters will be able to play without any fear and I think will surpass the levels of ability that they might have previously shown on loan at lower level clubs. We will have an identity back which is all too rare these days and I for one will be delighted with that.

Agreed. I'd rather see a bunch of kids wanting to prove themselves than energyless,legless has been's or never were's like Barry and Livermore. If either of them start ahead of Sam Field at the start of the season I'm going to be on Big Dave's case right from the start.

I love Big Dave but we have to move forward, this is a new era and he has to embrace it. If he doesn't the love fest he currently enjoys won't last very long.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #726 on: July 13, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »
Don't really understand the anti Darren Moore sentiments thus far, nor the fears regarding relegation.

Pre season........

Me either. He obviously has what it takes getting a team of perennial losers to look like a quality Prem team in the last 6 matches. I understand people getting frustrated with the lack of movement in the transfer market but if Darren Moore is having a say on transfers, I like what he is doing (Yacob aside but I have a feeling Yacob wanted to go back to Argentina as he has mentioned it several times over the years). Let's just judge him on performances and more importantly results. He's done everything 100% right in my opinion so far.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #727 on: July 13, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »
Personally feeling relatively optimistic. I actually like the type of players we are being connected with and really am looking forward to seeing youth being part of the team make up.

Being prehistoric I hark back to the days when young players coming into the team was the norm. Lovett, Hartford, Cantello, Robertson, Wilson, Hughes (Lyndon), Merrick, Nisbet and Bennett and many more. Those lads were part of the club, in some cases from the area, it felt so much more like our club back then.

Maybe Darren can recreate just a little of that feeling and belonging. Big name, big money foreigners aren’t always the answer, and to me Albion have lost their way and their identity. I’m looking for that to return.

I like the way he’s going about his job. He’s very impressive and for me absolutely the right bloke for the job.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #728 on: July 28, 2018, 03:33:07 PM »
So far I'm quite impressed with our transfer business this summer. Barnes, Townsend and Bartley all seem to be quite canny signings. It's clear that someone at the club (god knows who) has being paying attention to the talent in the championship and below. If we can get Dwight Gayle or another goalscorer and keep the core together then we have a real chance of starting the season strongly. I was sceptical when Big Dave was given the job but I'm warming to him rapidly. The club have got more right than wrong so far this summer, including sensible ticket prices for once.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #729 on: July 28, 2018, 03:52:58 PM »
So far I'm quite impressed with our transfer business this summer. Barnes, Townsend and Bartley all seem to be quite canny signings. It's clear that someone at the club (god knows who) has being paying attention to the talent in the championship and below. If we can get Dwight Gayle or another goalscorer and keep the core together then we have a real chance of starting the season strongly. I was sceptical when Big Dave was given the job but I'm warming to him rapidly. The club have got more right than wrong so far this summer, including sensible ticket prices for once.
I agree regarding our signings. Some of our best Premier League deals were signing good, Championship players such as McAuley and Jones - even Keith Andrews on a free was decent for the 2nd half of the season.

There's nothing to snigger about lower-league signings, generally they're much cheaper and can be real bargains compared to Premier League prices.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #730 on: July 28, 2018, 03:58:11 PM »
I agree regarding our signings. Some of our best Premier League deals were signing good, Championship players such as McAuley and Jones - even Keith Andrews on a free was decent for the 2nd half of the season.

There's nothing to snigger about lower-league signings, generally they're much cheaper and can be real bargains compared to Premier League prices.
...and we’re a step up in their careers.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #731 on: July 28, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
I have reserved judgement till now, with our recent transfer activity, the blend of youth and experience, I think we can look with some optimism to the coming season.
Baggie in Southampton

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #732 on: July 28, 2018, 06:00:19 PM »
Seems to be signing players with better passing than in previous seasons , suspect there will be mixed styles at times especially given the long season.
I already feel a bit for Moore given most of us would have expected other big earners to have left with Evans and decent money being spent to replace them . To me his hands do seem a bit tied at the minute , can only hope these next few weeks don't hit us too hard and the players that are left settle in a team ethic.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #733 on: July 28, 2018, 11:02:49 PM »
Last 5 games, scored 15 conceded 6, W4 D1 ..... whens big daves statue getting put up at the hawthorns?!

Quite refreshing to see, even against lower league teams in the most recent past under previous managers we have struggled and looked like we are the lower league team majority of the time.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #734 on: July 28, 2018, 11:29:59 PM »
Seems to be signing players with better passing than in previous seasons , suspect there will be mixed styles at times especially given the long season.
I already feel a bit for Moore given most of us would have expected other big earners to have left with Evans and decent money being spent to replace them . To me his hands do seem a bit tied at the minute , can only hope these next few weeks don't hit us too hard and the players that are left settle in a team ethic.
.    Why do we always think "His Hands are tied" What evidence have we for this ?

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #735 on: July 29, 2018, 12:57:56 AM »
Didn’t want him to get the job as it would potentially tarnish his legendary status as a true Baggie  8)

Can’t fault what he has done though - seems to have galvanised a talented but under performing squad - and restored pride in a difficult situation...

The way he has sidelined/moved on the disgruntled and brought in/given our youth the opportunity is testament that he is his own man - mind you, I wouldn’t argue with him... :-X

#WeNotMe
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #736 on: July 29, 2018, 06:49:58 AM »
.    Why do we always think "His Hands are tied" What evidence have we for this ?
I'm sort of with you on this mate, surely the system is either he, Big Dave, gives the club a list of players he'd like and/or the club hand him a list of those they think they could get or their agents have expressed an interest. Then off go the right people in the in the club to see what they can do in negotiations with interested parties, within the wage and cost ranges the club money men have decided we can afford and the sort of contract we are prepared to offer (length, extension terms, buy out clauses etc) It is far too complex a system for one man, in this case a head coach, to be expected to be in sole charge of such complexity so not sure how his hands could be tied? He is a single cog in a big machine where all the cogs need to mesh together smoothly and which can be interrupted in all sorts of ways for all sorts of reasons. Having watched yesterday's excellent showing I'm more than happy for him to be concentrating on form and fitness and styles of play rather than hovering round a phone and computer screen
COYB COBD 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #737 on: July 29, 2018, 09:02:57 AM »
On the evidence of yesterday I'm feeling happy about the way Big Dave set the team up and wants us to play. It's far different to what we saw last season. If we pass the ball around and look as sharp and incisive as we did in the first half I'll be very happy with that.

I have been worried that Big Dave would want us to set up with men behind the ball as we did against Liverpool and Spurs last season but there was no sign of that. I know the standard of opposition was very different but nevertheless the intent and mentality were spot on from the start.

My biggest concern is defensively. We conceded two goals, one from bad organisation from a set piece, the other when that little guy completely sold Crainie. Added to that Hegazi failed to read a long ball and their centre forward missed a one on one first half.

Having more of the ball means we don't have as much defensive insurance as we would've had previously so defenders are going to have to defend better one on one. I'm not convinced by Crainie. I think if Nyom played yesterday we wouldn't have conceded that first goal.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #738 on: July 29, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »
The fact the only decent size fee is for Johnstone , I think its clear there is no excess cash flow to bring players in before letting the big hitters go . I honestly think the club expected more than just Evans to have gone by now hence the season starts next week and we still don't really know who stays and who would still be available come in .
Its really not ideal for Moore , thats my point as in having hands tied.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #739 on: July 29, 2018, 09:19:21 AM »
For me a lot depends on what happens between now and the closure of the window.  At the moment we are loosing less players than I thought we might, and we have made some judicial signings in replacement which I am quite pleased with.  With Dawson, Phillips and potentially Rondon in our squad we will be a very strong Championship team indeed.  Also one which will be well organised, and where the Manager will know the team well and be able to play to its strengths.  Of the leavers so far , the only one I have regretted is Foster- and even then we seem to have sourced a good replacement.  I would still like us to sell (note not loan) Chadli which would allow us to bring in potentially one further new recruit, but at the start of the season I am quite excited.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #740 on: July 29, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
The fact the only decent size fee is for Johnstone , I think its clear there is no excess cash flow to bring players in before letting the big hitters go . I honestly think the club expected more than just Evans to have gone by now hence the season starts next week and we still don't really know who stays and who would still be available come in .
Its really not ideal for Moore , thats my point as in having hands tied.

I'm not sure that it's transfer fees that's the problem as such. Even with flex down, we still have some big earners on the books, so I'd imagine they're juggling the wage budget around to ensure we comply with FFP.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #741 on: July 29, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
Hopefully Big Dave has the intent to sign that Belgium league Striker were interested in because if Rondon and J-Rod leave Hal Robson Kanuwill be up front I'm sorry Hal Robson Who
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #742 on: July 29, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »
I dont know if Big Dave has had his hands tied, we went down, therefore that means cutbacks have to be made (as we seem to try and stick to some of FFP regulation)

We took a massive hit in income when we were relegated, yes the players are on flexdown contracts but those £70k - £80k still become £35k - £40k contracts in the championship which is still huge money for that level.

Until those players go we still have big overheads, yet our income is less than it was, the money we got for Foster and Evans we brought Johnstone with, we also spend £4m on Bartley and £700k (approx) on Townsend and supposedly buying this Luton bloke for £300k so thats £5m spend too.

Whilst we still have high value players on big money i can quite understand the club not going and splashing loads of money, if / when these players start to move, thats when i imagine Big Dave will start to spend decent fees, again just say we got £16m for Rondon, it doesnt mean we have to go and spend £16m on another striker, i would imagine it may be more the £10 - £12m maximum with the excess £4m being used towards the income reduction.

Worth noting we signed Chadli who we spent £13m on and Burke £15m on, thats nearly £30m quid and last season neither of them contributed a thing towards the team, whatever the reasons - Injured, manager didnt rate them, young with potential, etc for a club like Albion to have £30m worth of talent not doing anything (and thats just those two, there are others) is just not feasible.

Its rubbish but we got relegated, there are consequences, Big Dave will of known all about that before he took the job, from what i was told he wanted to keep as many of last seasons squad so whilst they are here he will be happy, and from the sales we have made and the fact we have brought others would suggest so far he is being backed.

If we start selling players and not replacing them then that will be a concern but at the moment having the likes of Dawson, Rondon, JRod we probably have better players in our squad than we would be signing to replace them anyway so not point just buying for the sake of it!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #743 on: July 29, 2018, 11:32:32 PM »
Anyone know what is the average wages for Championship players and are our lot on more?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #744 on: July 30, 2018, 12:34:14 AM »
Anyone know what is the average wages for Championship players and are our lot on more?

For the coming season our wage bill will about 50% greater than the average Championship team and anything up to four times that of a team like Rotherham. The bottom line is our top wage is about £30k a week whereas for the rest of the division it will be something in the region of £20k a week. The exceptions to that will be the clubs with parachute payments. Stoke Swansea Hull Norwich Middlesbrough and Villa.

Of those Hull have trimmed their wage bill back dramatically already Norwich and Villa are in the last year of parachute payments so will be under pressure to reduce their wage bills and have done this summer.

Darren will have one of the bigger payrolls in the division and with it the attendant expectations.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #745 on: July 30, 2018, 04:55:22 AM »
How we do this season under big dave remains to be seen but I'm very happy with the window under him so far. For a good two years or so I've been saying to friends and family we need to clear some of the dead wood and get in younger players who want to play for the Albion. All these players we have signed so far this season arrive with high praise from the clubs fans that they used to play in front of. Never thought I'd get excited over signing a scunthorpe LB and possibly a Luton right back but look over our past signings stretching back 30 plus years. Where you sign them from means absolutely nothing. Roll on next week.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #746 on: July 30, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
How we do this season under big dave remains to be seen but I'm very happy with the window under him so far. For a good two years or so I've been saying to friends and family we need to clear some of the dead wood and get in younger players who want to play for the Albion. All these players we have signed so far this season arrive with high praise from the clubs fans that they used to play in front of. Never thought I'd get excited over signing a scunthorpe LB and possibly a Luton right back but look over our past signings stretching back 30 plus years. Where you sign them from means absolutely nothing. Roll on next week.

Exactly, I mean, we could sign someone from somewhere like, Ooh I dunno.... Leyton Orient?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #747 on: July 30, 2018, 08:35:39 PM »
Exactly, I mean, we could sign someone from somewhere like, Ooh I dunno.... Leyton Orient?

We could do worse...
How about non-league Hayes in Essex?
We did get a player from them once.
Just remind me of his name, I just can't think....C.R. were his initials.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #748 on: July 30, 2018, 08:56:07 PM »

Exactly how I feel.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #749 on: July 30, 2018, 09:18:23 PM »
We could do worse...
How about non-league Hayes in Essex?
We did get a player from them once.
Just remind me of his name, I just can't think....C.R. were his initials.
Different world back then. We were excited just by the signing of Cyrille without knowing a bloody thing about him.

Nowadays even football fans feel entitled.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.