Author Topic: Our media coverage  (Read 12044 times)

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Our media coverage
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
I know that we are used to not getting much by way of balanced media coverage, but I feel a need to comment on my daily paper the Times.  Within its Monday football round up it has a whole double page devoted to AVB's sacking and a column devoted to the match.  Within this paragraph it mentions in one sentence that Macaulay scored for Albion.  How poor is this? We played an outstanding match showing real grit and determination and we deserved a whole lot more than a sentence.  Similarly, I note on MOTD it looked like we flooked a win, whereas the match I watched saw us dominant in the second half, and giving as good as we got in the first.  Still as I say should be used to it by now!

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Re: Our media coverage
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »
I don't think we will ever be a 'fashionable' club to the media, I'd rather stay that way to be honest rather than having stories about us in the back pages all the time.
I've got those West Bromwich Blues!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
We had three papers Sunday (trying the Sunday Sun while its cheap).

The People had the match dominated by Chelsea, with plucky Albion summoning up a good twenty minutes near the end.

The Sun had a match which was about even, with our worst player, Liam Ridgewell, getting 5/10 and being called a 'defensive liability'.

The Mirror had the best report, giving what I saw as an accurate summary of the match (us on top for the most, but Chelsea still having a fair few chances), and gave Ridgewell 8/10, calling him our star man. They spoilt this by calling our #3 Martin Olsson, who plays for Blackburn.

I'd sooner be ignored tbh, at least that way our players won't get too much praise and we might be able to hang onto them for longer.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »
Keeps away the plastic crowd.

tgd26

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
The most honest report I have seen in the media is from AVB himself.

He said we were a better team on the day and gave an honest appraisal of Chelsea's performance.

A comment like that from a manager is hard for the media to ignore. Even if they want to!

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »
MOTD was a disgrace! The coverage showed more Chelsea than us and we appeared to be lucky to get a goal, but then they showed two or three of our attacking plays in the analysis that weren't even in the highlights!
Some things never change, it's been like this for years! Even if we were  challenging for champions league we would be ignored because of the london/ north west bias.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 11:32:17 PM »
MOTD was a disgrace!
I'm pretty sure there's already a thread on the MOTD coverage in the matchday sub forum. If you want good coverage on all things baggie, the only one i enjoy are the Birmingham post/mail. Both only cover the midland teams though so....... yeah.  ::)

Accutually, try a site called newsnow.co.uk it shows most if not all articles on the albion and all other teams and other articles of news. It is also renewed every 5 minutes so is pretty good and current. Try it!  :D
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/West+Brom

socalbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:32:16 AM »

Accutually, try a site called newsnow.co.uk it shows most if not all articles on the albion and all other teams and other articles of news. It is also renewed every 5 minutes so is pretty good and current. Try it!  :D
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/West+Brom
Hunnington, Let me second that, newsnow is a great site for up to the minute articles on Albion. Any articles written which are related to Albion in any way are posted on this site. Also it does not only post Albion related articles from the English press but from all over the world. As a native American Albion fan it's been a really great way for me to keep up on the latest news, interviews, transfer rumors and other odd info regarding the Albion. A great site which also has a mobile version for your phone which makes it all that much easier to check up on the latest Albion news wherever you may be!!

Turkish baggie

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 05:40:11 AM »
I'm afraid its been like this as long as I have followed the Albion. I've got used to poor reporting in national media but with MOTD it still gets on my nerves!
We all though can stick our 2 fingers up at them and let them continue their sordid love affair with the London teams (in which I include MU in this). F*ck em all!  >:(

bournemouth baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »
There's a link to Newsnow on this site. Just go to 'Click here for the latest Baggies news updated every 5 minutes' on the home page.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »
Why is everyone so surprised?
Everything north of Arsenal and south of Manchester is a football back water
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 08:33:23 AM »
We had three papers Sunday (trying the Sunday Sun while its cheap).

The People had the match dominated by Chelsea, with plucky Albion summoning up a good twenty minutes near the end.

The Sun had a match which was about even, with our worst player, Liam Ridgewell, getting 5/10 and being called a 'defensive liability'.

The Mirror had the best report, giving what I saw as an accurate summary of the match (us on top for the most, but Chelsea still having a fair few chances), and gave Ridgewell 8/10, calling him our star man. They spoilt this by calling our #3 Martin Olsson, who plays for Blackburn.

I'd sooner be ignored tbh, at least that way our players won't get too much praise and we might be able to hang onto them for longer.
i read that in the sun i said to my mrs they must be at a different game to the one i am at! as for chelsea dominating the match. joke!!

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 09:26:35 AM »
MOTD was a disgrace! The coverage showed more Chelsea than us and we appeared to be lucky to get a goal, but then they showed two or three of our attacking plays in the analysis that weren't even in the highlights!

Absolutely no surprise baggyman MOTD is the most editorially biased sports programme made. Par for the course from the BBC. Just remind me who pays for the service! That said this weekends effort surpassed all that and was laughable. Not only didnt they show two Brunt efforts in real time as mentioned but they completely ignored a good Andrews effort in the second half and mulumbu's excellent turn and break in to the box in the first half to mention just two more. What we should remember is this is one reason why we go and watch it LIVE and we should encourage other borderline fans who perhaps stay away to forget the TV and come to the games and enjoy the only REAL way to watch the best game on the planet.

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »
I listen to TALK-SPORT each morning and all they talk about are the top four teams. Brazil and Irani talk over each other and over any other voice that crops up. On Monday they spoKe about the Chelsea manager getting sacked but there was hardly any mention about WBA.
Having won our last 3 matches, two against strong opposition, you would think we would be something different to talk about.
I think both men seem to have limited ability to search for something other than the usual topics that are easy to find.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »
i'm not overly bothered if we don't get coverage as long as i can watch football first and read this site, however, i was very proud of the win so i bought a couple of papers on monday just wanting to revel in it a bit more. The guardian had three pages on AVB and it barely mentioned the game let alone that we won i was gutted because it cost me £1.20!

I think it's terrible that journalists are allowed to get away with such shoddy reporting, as somebody who studied journalism and wanted to be a sports journalist i think its a damn right disgrace that journalists should get players names wrong and report games that they clearly weren't at. Makes me mad cuzits a hard trade to get into
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Costakiblue

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
To me this just highlights the power wielded by people in the media in general, and their ability to manipulate feeble minds! Believe half of what you hear and none of what you read...or something like that.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »
Why is everyone so surprised?
Everything north of Arsenal and south of Manchester is a football back water
this is because manchester/liverpool and london is where all the silver ware usualy ends up.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »
I saw that Times page as well, and commented on it the people in the room, with a few expletives as well...

Also recently:

One commentator who kept getting Mulumbu and Fortune mixed up, even though they were generally about thirty yards away from each other

One who called Thomas "Jerome" several times, obviously thinking of Cameron Jerome, then trying to cover it up by saying "I'm sure he wouldn't mind me calling him by his first name..."

One commentator on Saturday saying "Cole was the best player in blue and white" as if they weren't the away team in some horrible grey strip.

::)

greggy8689

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 02:18:11 PM »
I listen to TALK-SPORT each morning and all they talk about are the top four teams. Brazil and Irani talk over each other and over any other voice that crops up. On Monday they spoKe about the Chelsea manager getting sacked but there was hardly any mention about WBA.
Having won our last 3 matches, two against strong opposition, you would think we would be something different to talk about.
I think both men seem to have limited ability to search for something other than the usual topics that are easy to find.

It's simply targetting their audience, it's not a bias against us it's them understanding who their listeners are. There are going to be more top 4 clubs fans listening then the likes of us Norwich Swansea etc.

MOTD is the same, they give the people the stories that the 'majority' want to read/see about i.e. AVB and his sacking is a bigger story than us beating Chelsea to the majority of football fans, not to us obviously. I rarely watch MOTD, it can't even be compared with the analysis of Goals on Sunday, much more indepth and gives a better reflection.

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 03:55:23 PM »
Given up expecting anything, so not disappointed when I see the rubbish they write such as Ridgewell 5/10, defensive liability!

bobcracker

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
I think the only media coverage last weekend that stopped to praise our performance and recent run was Goals on Sunday, its a bit of running thing the lack of credit but its something we'll have to get used to if we do stay in mid table for a few seasons.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 06:00:07 PM »
Apart from the aforementioned Goals on Sunday, ive given up getting worked up about media coverage now. After AVB was sacked, it was always going to be all about AVB.

It has been frustrating these last few weeks getting hardly any praise for our quite incredible run (joint third in the league on form with Arsenal and Fulham), but it isnt surprising.
Boing Boing

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »
I buy the i paper regularly and they usually give us a decent report. Mondays was full of AVB's sacking though; which to be fair is a bigger news story than us beating them 1-0. they gave foster, pete and thomas6/10 everyone else7/10 apart from Mulumbu who got 8/10...chelsea were mostly6/10 apart from lampard and sturridge who got 5/10 and cole and cech who got 7/10.
they also said " the second half was an especially sad epitaph to the AVB reign. Albion might have scored more than than Gareth McAualey's late goal"

On a slightly different note has anyone noticed that they now have one of Pete's goals against Wolves in the opening credits to MOTD...I was gobsmacked when I saw it on Saturday night.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

jjb0rdell0

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »

On a slightly different note has anyone noticed that they now have one of Pete's goals against Wolves in the opening credits to MOTD...I was gobsmacked when I saw it on Saturday night.

I think that's because the wolves player in the clip is out on loan and not in the prem at the mo. I like the fact they chose us to replace though, hopefully rankled with the dingles

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 08:55:57 PM »
Maybe we can put the cat amongst the pigeons by beating Man Utd on Sunday. Imagine the comments - poor man u performance, Europe on Thursday obviously had an impact.....blah blah blah. >:(

Come on the Baggies