Author Topic: 16 Feb 2024 Albion 0 Southampton 2  (Read 9576 times)

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #425 on: February 17, 2024, 03:36:36 PM »
That's because Bilic and Dowling spent £27m on Dianagana and Grant which was most of our budget.

I am assuming that our new owner is not anywhere near as dumb as Lai of course.

It's a chance to start again and build if anyone can be bothered which Lai couldn't

Newly promoted teams only attract the premiership players that no one else wants.Mainly because of the wages they demand and also because of the expectation that a promoted team will struggle which is the case in the majority of cases. The £27m spent last time were panic buys because they couldn't attract any other players and everyone knew that the players we had then were never going to do very well.  The gulf between premiership and championship is a lot more wider now as can be seen with this season. The teams that came down are streets ahead of all the other championship clubs and the teams that got promoted are way behind the other premiership clubs. If anyone thinks we get promoted and suddenly attract all these good premiership players..........  then think again.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #426 on: February 17, 2024, 03:41:30 PM »
Newly promoted teams only attract the premiership players that no one else wants.Mainly because of the wages they demand and also because of the expectation that a promoted team will struggle which is the case in the majority of cases. The £27m spent last time were panic buys because they couldn't attract any other players and everyone knew that the players we had then were never going to do very well.  The gulf between premiership and championship is a lot more wider now as can be seen with this season. The teams that came down are streets ahead of all the other championship clubs and the teams that got promoted are way behind the other premiership clubs. If anyone thinks we get promoted and suddenly attract all these good premiership players..........  then think again.

I disagree with your opening statement to begin with. If that were true every team that went up would come back down, without fail, 100% of the time.

I don't think they were panic buys, more tantrum buys.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #427 on: February 17, 2024, 04:11:24 PM »
I disagree with your opening statement to begin with. If that were true every team that went up would come back down, without fail, 100% of the time.

I don't think they were panic buys, more tantrum buys.

maybe 100% don't come down but at least over 50% do. The ones that do stay up often struggle and then maybe come down the next season.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2024, 05:04:33 PM »
I have no problem with the Grady transfer, he was excellent for us and West Ham fans were furious that we'd got him.  It looked like a good bit of business.  We needed to look at what we were doing when we was excellent and what we'd done to break that.  You don't become a bad player over night.  A lot comes from losing those players he linked up so well with imo.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #429 on: February 17, 2024, 06:28:04 PM »
maybe 100% don't come down but at least over 50% do. The ones that do stay up often struggle and then maybe come down the next season.

Fair point but going up for a season and coming down benefits the club infinitely more than staying in the efl

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #430 on: February 17, 2024, 06:36:14 PM »
Fair point but going up for a season and coming down benefits the club infinitely more than staying in the efl

Exactly, even if we finish rock bottom on 15 pts or something, the amount of money it brings into the club is worth it. 

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #431 on: February 17, 2024, 07:12:48 PM »
Exactly, even if we finish rock bottom on 15 pts or something, the amount of money it brings into the club is worth it.

I don't see how people fail to see this and yet think staying in the EFL with no money willl bring us closer to being PL regulars again.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #432 on: February 17, 2024, 07:28:08 PM »
I don't see how people fail to see this and yet think staying in the EFL with no money willl bring us closer to being PL regulars again.

Because if you built a good team over a couple of seasons in the EFL and win the championship and then get promoted, you stand a better chance of surviving in the premiership and at the same time have a plan on how to add a few players. I really can't see the attraction of sitting watching a match where we are getting battered every other week. I certainly get no satisfaction knowing that we might be getting more money for being fodder for the other premiership teams.  I remember the times when I went to matches to see entertaining football and for my team to compete but know it seems that every other fan is a would be accountant concerned more about the finanaces,

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #433 on: February 17, 2024, 07:40:47 PM »
Because if you built a good team over a couple of seasons in the EFL and win the championship and then get promoted, you stand a better chance of surviving in the premiership and at the same time have a plan on how to add a few players. I really can't see the attraction of sitting watching a match where we are getting battered every other week. I certainly get no satisfaction knowing that we might be getting more money for being fodder for the other premiership teams.  I remember the times when I went to matches to see entertaining football and for my team to compete but know it seems that every other fan is a would be accountant concerned more about the finanaces,

Surely it's easier to build a good team with money instead of no money though? Not every signing would be a success of course but with a transfer team with half a clue we would have a much better chance for me

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #434 on: February 18, 2024, 09:31:42 AM »
I would have more pride in a team that had a good proportion of players that my club had developed and played attractive football.  I would rather that than being cannon fodder for the top teams to maul every other season.

Just my take on life.

If we're going to get promoted and stay up, it will require a lot more than just spending money on known entities that the top 15 clubs discount or discard.  We have surely had enough of old pros coming to the Hawthorns to bulk up their pensions and do the minimum.

If the fundamental way the club is run in terms of analysis, support functions ,marketing, promoting the ground as a venue and generally moves into this century then  we have a chance.

Let's hope SP is the guy that can do this.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #435 on: February 19, 2024, 01:08:55 PM »
Any chance we could stick to debating the match?
The other stuff would be better suited in the New owner thread.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill