Author Topic: 7 Jan 2024 Albion 4 Aldershot Town 1 (FA Cup 3)  (Read 11019 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #225 on: January 07, 2024, 07:54:55 PM »
Have just watched the goals.

The ball through from Whitwell for Fellows goal, plus the way Fellows took the goal were both equally sensational.
Boing Boing

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2024, 08:04:31 PM »
Echo what most others are saying: nice blend of experience and youth, Fellows, Mowatt and Heard were very good with good performances from our other experienced players such as Chalobah. Liked what I saw from Taylor, think he has a chance to be a big player for us although I can see why he is just behind the others in the pecking order. Delighted for Dike too who looked rusty, as expected, but his physicality was a notch or two above anything Aldershot had in their side.

Just a note on the setup today; we played our 343 shape today but in a way on the ball that I haven't seen us utilise before, with a midfield diamond. Mowatt was at the base pulling the strings, Heard at the tip with Chalobah right and Pipa left. This gave Fellows free reign from Right wing back to get beyond the front line and generally worked really well offensively I thought. It certainly gave Aldershot something to think about, often they had defenders pulled in to midfield which allowed Dike, Fellows and Malcom space in behind. The last thing you want to do in a game like this is labour for the first goal and give them a chance off a set-piece or something, so to cook something up to hurt them early was good to see.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2024, 08:05:44 PM »
Nathanial Chalaboh has been mentioned several times on this post match article as having a good game although has often criticised in the past.
He took the opening goal well which settled us down and I think there is a good player in there especially if he plays a more forward role rather than as defensive ball holder in midfield often coming on as a substitute for Okay - well done Nathanial.

He is a decent player for sure. Maybe has an attitude problem on occasions? But he can play. The last couple of cameos in the league from him have been okay too.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2024, 08:57:19 PM »
In the hat. Dike gets 45 minutes unscathed and scores takes pressure off himself. Fellows 90 mins goal and assist. Caleb Taylor looks quite useful also and young lad who played cm Fenton hear look good also needs a loan to get minutes. Other senior pros Bartley pieters and chalobah all did well to hold all that youth together
O Albion we love you

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2024, 09:34:24 PM »
For anyone who was at the game or watched it how did Taylor do?
Does he look able to make the step up next season?
We have Kipre,Bartley,Pieters out of contract at the end of the season where would Taylor fit into the equation?

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2024, 10:34:55 PM »
We have Kipre,Bartley,Pieters out of contract at the end of the season where would Taylor fit into the equation?

Wasn’t really tested. He’s already proven to be a top League 1 centre back so I don’t think we really learnt much today. He looks decent enough on the ball and is always a threat from set pieces. If we’re in the Championship next season then he needs to be starting or first choice rotation, otherwise he needs a new contract and a Championship loan.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2024, 10:57:08 PM »

My view was you can see how he could be a commanding centre half at championship level (possibly above) but does have things to learn.

He's very, very good in the air and decent on the ball. He's very comfortable on the ball, albeit he did try and carry the ball out at one point, got caught in possession and Bartley bollocked him.

His style is similar to Bartley in the sense he's no-nonsense, aerially strong and seems very much to prefer to play on the right - played right of a back three today which made him almost look like a right back at times. So would be the natural replacement in that sense. Can't really see him fulfilling any other role.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2024, 11:51:10 PM »
Professional performance and really happy with the youngsters who got a chance. Who was it that made the pass for Fellows goal? It was brilliant.
Harry Whitwell seen it on Match Of The Day that was a ball Jed would be proud of. Perfectly weighted, well timed
I know it was against Aldershot but Fellows look some talent. Some of our youngsters look quality get them signed long term loan em out we could have some Gems and it's about time. They put a smile on my face with how well they played. I think Whitwell and Taylor need to be brought on more. Fellows hopefully has confidence as he might be the answer to Wallace and Grady being out. I know he is considered to be and had shown the quality, but hopefully he know has a lot more confidence to try a bit more when he has the first teak around him. A lot of the youngsters did positive things. Dike looks good to. Overall really positive our future talents look good
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2024, 09:02:22 AM »
I thought Malcolm did a good job also. Took his goal very clinically. Gives us another option wide left.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2024, 12:17:33 PM »
Professional performance - good to see some of our academy graduates make first team appearances.

Second half was a bit of a none event as I thought we were too casual.

Impressive performances from Heard, Fellows and Chalobah who controlled the game.

Credit to Aldershot who I thought came across very well. Very much insistent on trying to get the ball down and work through the pitch.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2024, 12:19:38 PM »
They all did us proud. KC and the Sunshine Gang.