Author Topic: 11 July 2020 Blackburn 1 Albion 1  (Read 39375 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2020, 05:09:05 PM »
Weirdly I think there is now a case to be said for taking a draw on Tuesday against Fulham. That then leaves us to win at Huddersfield and at home to QPR to go up. I think its more important to not lose in midweek to keep Fulham at arms length.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2020, 05:09:17 PM »
We can afford 2 draws. This was one of them.

Be back later when I've calmed down.

But I will say, I don't want to hear about Townsend, Bartley or Kanu as the best players in their positions ever again. Awful performances.

Well done Sam Johnstone.

Yep...and how many times have you and I said precisely that to much derision on here previously. All three are abysmal and should never be near the side when the alternatives are fit.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2020, 05:09:27 PM »
It has worried me all season that we don’t have a number 9 worthy of the name. HRK I have never rated. Earlier this season however I was happy to eat humble pie in large doses. Sadly he has now reverted to type. Austin is a better bet but looks knackered as the game progresses. He also should have scored 2 today. Very frustrating.

Even at his very best HRK has to be one of the worst strikers in the league. I’d even play Zohore before Kanu and he’s one of the worst forwards we have ever signed.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »
Johnstone man of the match.

He saved us from what would have been a disaster.

We cannot afford to drop any more points IMO.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #254 on: July 11, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »
Still can't see us taking 7 points from the last 3 games. We are not ruthless enough. Having seen plenty of games since the restart Brentford and Leeds look far superior.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2020, 05:10:59 PM »
Hopefully, thats our bad performance out of the way.

Its going down to the last match.  Brentford seem to have all the luck with them at the moment. So a draw against Fulham, then 2 wins and we are there.

Brentford 7 wins on the trot, Fulham 4 wins on the trot. Somewhere its going to go wrong for these 2 ( Hopefully !!!!)

Still think Swansea could do us a favour tomorrow. A Swansea win and we are top of the table !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2020, 05:11:27 PM »
Their goal was awful to watch. Bartley and Townsend are not good enough.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2020, 05:12:47 PM »
This is the reality of the football club, it was always us that was going to mess up and we royally  messed up of course. They scored out of nowhere after we should have scored five. Maybe the only surprise is we didn’t lose at the end. Leeds and Brentford got the inevitable outcome and it’s really difficult to see us not slipping again.

I definitely expected it but it is still such a huge throwaway. Furious and just waiting for the further suffering to come.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »
6 more draws than Leeds and Brentford. That’s what’s going to cost us. Poor finishing and lackadaisical defending. Middle bit is great, it’s the two ends we need to do better in.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2020, 05:15:10 PM »
Thanks to some fine saves from SJ automatic place is still in our own hands.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:08:14 PM by geoff »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #260 on: July 11, 2020, 05:15:38 PM »
We had to score a second. It was the old lesson. A one goal lead is not enough.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2020, 05:17:28 PM »
How in God's name did we fail to win that, simply no more fooook ups in front of goal from here to end of season. We haven't got a striker and we need to score at least 2 due to our poor defence. Only positive are we didn't lose, we created a hat load of chances and Brentford are still below us in table just need seven points for promotion. COYB

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2020, 05:25:57 PM »
How to play some really good football for  an hour and be lucky to get a draw.
Bilic must take a lot of the blame.It might be just my personal view but Harper offers nothing and Robinson is just a light weight player and certainly on the wing neither creates or threatens.
Even when we were playing well virtually everything was coming down the left with no balancing threat from the right.
I would have kept Grosicki on because he does create and threaten.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #263 on: July 11, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »
For once the subs didn’t work. Livermore was a miss as was Grosicki. Austin let us down today. Should have scored. Thank god for Johnstone. Still in our own hands but I am now officially bricking it.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #264 on: July 11, 2020, 05:27:34 PM »
Hopefully, thats our bad performance out of the way.

Its going down to the last match.  Brentford seem to have all the luck with them at the moment. So a draw against Fulham, then 2 wins and we are there.

Brentford 7 wins on the trot, Fulham 4 wins on the trot. Somewhere its going to go wrong for these 2 ( Hopefully !!!!)

Still think Swansea could do us a favour tomorrow. A Swansea win and we are top of the table !!!

Thing is it wasn’t even that bad a performance, we carved them open and didn’t take the chances
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #265 on: July 11, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »
For once the subs didn’t work. Livermore was a miss as was Grosicki. Austin let us down today. Should have scored. Thank god for Johnstone. Still in our own hands but I am now officially bricking it.

All of this.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2020, 05:32:01 PM »
We seemed to forget that although a point was a bad result, a loss was so much worse and based on the last 20 alone were lucky to come away with a point.

Re Sawyers looking half arsed, I actually think he ran out of steam today and should've been pulled ahead of Livermore.

There was some terrible officiating thrown in there. The guy who got booked for booting Pereira should've been booked way before then, so would've been sent off, could've had a red card for that alone and then did a dive after being booked for which he also could've been sent off (he won a free kick). Both teams should also have had penalties imo.

Discounting all of that we've had games, Derby, Millwall where we've been 1-0 and have eventually killed the game but it's taken a while. Although they were both complete performances in the end, there were long periods where we might not have won and a today happens.

Must be more clinical. If we create as many chances as today but take half of them we get the 7 points we need. Not panic stations yet but pressure is on now.

Hegazi in for Bartley for Fulham.

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #267 on: July 11, 2020, 05:32:23 PM »
All of this.

Yep, wrong subs today, worked gainst us.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: July 11, 2020, 05:34:40 PM »
This game may have come a bit too soon after Derby where we seemed to have more energy.
I think the Livermore-Harper swap weakened our grasp of the midfield, although Livermore was looking like he might get sent off. Also, Dianga was not at his best, so in hindsight we should have stuck with Grosicki.  You would normally expect Austin to have taken one of his chances, but he was still alot sharper and getting himself into position better than HRK who was just anonymous. 
We lost our shape second half, but the the big lesson to learn is that we should never be happy with a one goal lead. Its why I get annoyed when I hear people saying we need a few 1-0's.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 06:14:29 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #269 on: July 11, 2020, 05:35:19 PM »
Well that's the definition of shooting yourself in the foot. Should have taken our chances got 2nd and 3rd goal had game to bed. They had one attack and were back in it.

Subs weren't overly effective. Hrk didn't do much when he came on and also taking off krovonovic we lost our balance and shape and only really Blackburn looked like winning in the last 15 mins.

Potentially by the time we play fulham we are in 3rd place on goal difference so that will be huge pressure. Some how it's still in our own hands 7 points from last 3 will do it. Brentford are relentless.

Hopefully preston do the business midweek and they drop some points. Be nice if the swans beat leeds also and add the pressure to leeds as well.

O Albion we love you

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2020, 05:36:17 PM »
Fulham is now a must not lose game. At least a point in that one and wins at Huddersfield and against QPR. If we beat Fulham great but a draw wouldn’t be terrible.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #271 on: July 11, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »
Well that's the definition of shooting yourself in the foot. Should have taken our chances got 2nd and 3rd goal had game to bed. They had one attack and were back in it.

Subs weren't overly effective. Hrk didn't do much when he came on and also taking off krovonovic we lost our balance and shape and only really Blackburn looked like winning in the last 15 mins.

Potentially by the time we play fulham we are in 3rd place on goal difference so that will be huge pressure. Some how it's still in our own hands 7 points from last 3 will do it. Brentford are relentless.

Hopefully preston do the business midweek and they drop some points. Be nice if the swans beat leeds also and add the pressure to leeds as well.

We can’t be third before we play Fulham, as Brentford play Wednesday night.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #272 on: July 11, 2020, 05:39:56 PM »
Fulham is now a must not lose game. At least a point in that one and wins at Huddersfield and against QPR. If we beat Fulham great but a draw wouldn’t be terrible.

Yep, a draw and it's still in our hands.  A loss and we will need Brentford to drop points.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #273 on: July 11, 2020, 05:49:18 PM »
We are good enough to beat Fulham, if we think we can't we shouldn't expect top 2.

Remember Fulham will be going all out against us so there should be space.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #274 on: July 11, 2020, 05:50:45 PM »
Watched highlights on sky, Austin why didn't you hammer the ball to back of net when one on one with keeper. Sam congrats for helping us gain a point with fine save near end. For their goal Bartley doing his impression of bambi on ice and no one tracking back with their midfield runners.