Author Topic: Toxic Hawthorns  (Read 9496 times)

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

Toxic Hawthorns
« on: March 09, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
Was going to post this even before I found out about DM.

What is wrong with our fan base? Completely split down the middle and arguing amongst each other constantly, booing the smallest mistakes and hounding our players.

Murphy for example; not very good I agree, but booing the lad even when he claps every corner of the ground?

I am not proud to be a Baggies right now, actually no I am. But I am not proud of some fellow Baggies.

Pull together for Christ sake.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Toxic Hawthorns
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 07:57:39 PM »
It's not toxic at all that's a huge over-statement. It was quiet today, deathly so at times but there were no toxic songs or anything like that. Boos at the final whistle but that's hardly surprising is it and lets be brutally honest we have barely witnessed a good all round performance all season. You can argue Leeds at home, even then they had more possession.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 07:58:17 PM »

What is wrong with our fan base? Completely split down the middle and arguing amongst each other constantly, booing the smallest mistakes and hounding our players.

Murphy for example; not very good I agree, but booing the lad even when he claps every corner of the ground?

I am not proud to be a Baggies right now, actually no I am. But I am not proud of some fellow Baggies.

Sadly it's the nature of the modern fan and it has been this way for the past 5-10 years whenever things go a little bad. I remember years back our fans used to boo Brunt who would put his heart on the sleeve every time. It's like he's one of footballs good guys and still it wasn't enough for some of the fans.

For what it's worth, it's not our club - it's every club. Just look on social media and you can see there's an enormous amount of idiotic fans. For me personally, I would never boo mistakes from a player - it just doesn't make sense.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »

Agreed. And you see the same on this forum. I don’t know if it’s specific to Albion or part of the new culture of social media where everyone can vent to thousands of others and carry on the hysteria for days. Difficult times this season when it was a brilliant opportunity to unify behind the green and yellow stripes. Sad.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »
If a small group of fans act a certain way, then it's jist personal opinion. But when the vast majority feel the same way ie. A player is under performing, it's generally a reliable reflection.

We've underperformed for every game I've seen this season. So fans are bound to be frustrated when they're watching footballers who are paid top dollar who are outclassed week in week out by teams who are getting relegated.

Fans respond to what's being served on the pitch.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 08:17:40 PM »

Again it seems all very black and white, either love Moore or hate him

It's not the case, most fans wanted him to succeed, but most are also clever enough to realise that it just wasn't working..
There have been many many mistakes, doesn't make him a bad man (he clearly isn't) but it does mean that he isn't right for this job with the mandate of promotion.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 08:35:24 PM »
Just commented on another thread around this.

Leko - a young player was getting booed two minutes after coming on.

He had the ball and had no where to go - there were only Gayle and JRod in the box - the midfield blowing out their arses way off the pace.

I don't know where these fans have come from, but we need to get off the backs of the young guys

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
Sadly it's the nature of the modern fan and it has been this way for the past 5-10 years whenever things go a little bad. I remember years back our fans used to boo Brunt who would put his heart on the sleeve every time. It's like he's one of footballs good guys and still it wasn't enough for some of the fans.

For what it's worth, it's not our club - it's every club. Just look on social media and you can see there's an enormous amount of idiotic fans. For me personally, I would never boo mistakes from a player - it just doesn't make sense.

Been a damn site longer than 5 or 10 years, its been like it for many many years and as you say not just the Albion despite what some try to make it out to be, its the whole of football , every club, every league.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »

He had the ball and had no where to go - there were only Gayle and JRod in the box - the midfield blowing out their arses way off the pace.

I don't know where these fans have come from, but we need to get off the backs of the young guys

I didn't hear anyone booing Leko. Even though every time he has the ball he holds on to it for about fifteen minutes.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 08:43:07 PM »
Only boos I heard was at end of game, Hawthorns far from toxic, majority of supporters like me frustrated with Albion's offering on pitch just not good enough.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »

I'm sorry but this type of post is inflammatory.

Leko was NOT being booed. He is one of our own. Perhaps where you were sat there were one or two 'fans' abusing him, but he most certainly was not being booed. This is a massive lie.

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »
Bottom on the Brummie.

Yes he was holding on to it as we had no players in the box, what can he do?? More dynamic and attack minded than anything that went before him.

Hopefully its just down to frustration and we get behind them for the last 10 games.

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 08:47:48 PM »
I'm sorry but this type of post is inflammatory.

Leko was NOT being booed. He is one of our own. Perhaps where you were sat there were one or two 'fans' abusing him, but he most certainly was not being booed. This is a massive lie.

I need to get my ears examined then

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 10:16:17 PM »
I need to get my ears examined then

They’re free. Hearing tests, that is!

Pureade1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 11:02:01 PM »
Wouldn't say the atmosphere  was toxic, more frustration at performances that lack the passion that was the reason big dave got the job in the first place.

Ive said many times our atmosphere at home is too nice if anything not talking about booing our own players as that isnt albion but more that we dont seem to create an atmosphere that makes it uncomfortable for the opposition.

Was i happy today, no but at the same time we havent won at home since wigan in the cup so frustration is going to bubble up.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 11:36:45 PM »
We definitely booed an overhit freekick that sailed out of play atojnd 85 mins.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 02:59:13 AM »
At all home games this season. Overall I think the crowd have been great. For most of today I thought we got behind the tam as well. In places Leko looked good and showed some good skills level. Understandably though there was frustration with lots of poorl passing, poor creativity and us making the rock bottom side look like Man City.  Some perspective please. The football is now entertaining, the gates are up, but we do need to get back on track on the pitch. Absolutely NOT the fans fault how we have played at home since January.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 07:41:21 AM »
We definitely booed an overhit freekick that sailed out of play atojnd 85 mins.
That was the rather disinterested Murphy who has form for that sort of thing
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 10:05:37 AM »
That was the rather disinterested Murphy who has form for that sort of thing

Indeed it was and I'd have said it was more of an excalamation of frustration than a boo.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »
I felt the atmosphere was indifferent with pepperings of frustration at Tosin and Johnstone dithering and giving it away and a severe lack of urgency to find a win.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »
I felt the atmosphere was indifferent with pepperings of frustration at Tosin and Johnstone dithering and giving it away and a severe lack of urgency to find a win.

I agree with this. Tosin gave away almost every ball he played, although yet again he was being played out of position. He's not left footed and to be playing on the left of a back 3 is virtually a left back. With Johnstone, it's clear he's being told to wait and look for the right pass. This is coming from high up. There's no way he'd be dithering like he has just for the fun of it. But I agree that it's frustration aimed at these two.

I'd also add that I expect better from players like Murphy. He has a lot of pace but looked out of ideas going forward and his overhit freekick just summed up our form of late.

I feel the need to say that for those posting things about us being embarrassed and a laughing stock for sacking Moore, I think it's worth noting that it doesn't matter what other teams/fans think of us. Does me laughing at their demise make any difference to them? Not in the slightest. So why some are worried about what other fans and pundits think is beyond me. When we were in the PL we were always being slated by Match of the Day and other pundits, why would that change just because we're in the Championship? I love West Brom and I think we're a decent set of fans. Remember when we put 96 red seats in the Smethwick? These type of gestures are forgotten by other clubs, but not by us.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
There was booing at the Etihad at half time yesterday! A lot of negativity comes as a result of expectation. Fans pitched up yesterday in all likelihood expecting a comfortable home win ,  wasn't happening hence levels of frustration
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 12:10:57 PM »
It was Toxic during Pulis's tenure. So much so, I left for awhile. Haven't seen that this season. I would have given Dave this season then said thank you if the board weren't happy. Just for what he did at the end of last year. Realistically hiring Moore was a cheap option for Jenkins and co, which, worked well. It's now blow up in their faces. It's the short Termism thats going to kill us Bolton on the first day proved that the championship is hard. No club has a right to go up like the board seem to think. Whoever comes needs time backing an for the sake of the fans needs to play decent stuff. They are begging for our renewal money with that March 30th prize draw and only guaranteeing seats until april 30th. The last anything like this happened was when we sacked RDM for Hodgson 

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 12:14:09 PM »
Just change the word "toxic" to "quiet" and there is no contentious argument
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 12:27:48 PM »
We've not won a home game in 2019. Not exactly a surprise that it's not been bouncing.