Author Topic: 12 Jan 2019 Albion 1 Norwich City 1  (Read 42968 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »
Barry, Holgate and Harper all excellent. Gayle wasted out wide, should be in the middle. Dawson/ Hegazi solid. Johnstone needs to be taught how to hold a ball at times as a couple of shots he palmed away which seemed to be easier to hold.

Brunt the weak link in the middle, gave away too many stupid sloppy free kicks including 3 in the first 10 minutes, struggles to get around the pitch at times, needs replacing or playing in a role he can handle, the centre of the pitch is not that role.

Harper showed why Darren Moore needs to trust the youngsters, he handled it today and showed he is capable of playing in this division yet if not for injuries and suspensions he would have been sat on the bench again.
All of this
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »
What changes do people think Daren should have done in the second half? No Morrison, Livermore or Phillips already one debutant on the pitch and no real old heads to come on and keep things tight at the back. As the older players bench players are attacking.
Well there are two answers
1) Leko,field,hoolahan ...1-2-3 of those for the last 20 minutes could have been given a specif brief to either sit (field maybe hoolahan) or stretch (Leko) to take the pressure away
2) if he genuinely knows what he's doing, please ella me what you think he was doing putting Leko on at 92 mins ....because I can't work it out?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »
Well there are two answers
1) Leko,field,hoolahan ...1-2-3 of those for the last 20 minutes could have been given a specif brief to either sit (field maybe hoolahan) or stretch (Leko) to take the pressure away
2) if he genuinely knows what he's doing, please ella me what you think he was doing putting Leko on at 92 mins ....because I can't work it out?

Not surprising  ;D   ;)

Field isn't good enough and hasn't got the pace to have altered midfield. Hoolahan isn't a midfielder. Leko is raw (and never going to come on with us only 1 nil up and the front 3 still causing problems).
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2019, 10:06:45 PM »

Not surprising  ;D   ;)

Field isn't good enough and hasn't got the pace to have altered midfield. Hoolahan isn't a midfielder. Leko is raw (and never going to come on with us only 1 nil up and the front 3 still causing problems).

Bit confused by this given he is actually a midfielder and has spent all his career as a midfielder with the probable only exception being where he played part of the game at centre forward last week against Wigan.

Totally disagree about Field as well, was good enough in the Prem last season when called upon and its only this season he's struggled after being messed around as much as he has. Needs a loan move and the club need to allow it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2019, 10:11:11 PM »
Bit confused by this given he is actually a midfielder and has spent all his career as a midfielder with the probable only exception being where he played part of the game at centre forward last week against Wigan.

Totally disagree about Field as well, was good enough in the Prem last season when called upon and its only this season he's struggled after being messed around as much as he has. Needs a loan move and the club need to allow it.

Sorry, I meant not a midfielder in the traditional 3 we are playing. More of a no. 10/attacking midfielder.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2019, 10:19:27 PM »

Sorry, I meant not a midfielder in the traditional 3 we are playing. More of a no. 10/attacking midfielder.

I understand, thought you'd been on the sherry for a minute  :D

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2019, 10:31:13 PM »
I think we played better than usual today and most times would have won that game, but it just wasn't to be on the day.

Looking back, they had 2 big chances and scored 1; whereas we had about 5 and scored 1. Yes, it was sloppy defending from us (again) but Krul pulled off some fantastic saves.

My main positive was Holgate who was fantastic in both defence and attack. Hopefully we will look a bit more stable with him in the team.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2019, 11:37:29 PM »
We’re too over reliant on Gayle for goals and the genius management have pushed him wide, to his credit he’s still our most effective forward but not what he can be. Very impressed with Harper today. Looked like he’d been playing for years. Cool as ice in possession, passing was spot on and a few powerful bursts. More to come when his fitness improves.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2019, 06:34:45 AM »
Watched it back on Quest and for me Johnstone has to stop that goal. Disappointing.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #259 on: January 13, 2019, 09:36:03 AM »
Enjoyable game , annoying they only had two real chances and scored from one .  Holgate looks a cut above and a decent signing , thought Harper did well but tired later on as expected.
Credit to Moore for a decent performance minus Phillips , Barnes and Morrison although our strong left side looks a lot weaker now Gibbs / Barnes has been broken up.
Minus point for Moore though on not using his subs quick enough , everyone could see we needed to freshen things up although as I posted elsewhere theres not much on our bench when you look at Norwich's and they can bring Rhodes on .
Personally would have subbed HRK for Sako before they scored although I accept Gayle was most likely rushed back in the side so was subbed first.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »
I thought we was largely excellent to be honest - disappointed we never held on for all three points.

There is a lot of criticism for Moore not making substitutions and whilst there are merits to that argument, I thought by and large we were comfortable. I didn’t think we were under any sustained pressure and we more than handled whatever Norwich three at us

What cannot be excused is the sheer stupidness of Gayle to make that challenge. We should have defended the second ball better but it was such a stupid foul to give away

On the whole - I thought everyone played well. Holgate is a great addition and Harper played well.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »
I thought we was largely excellent to be honest - disappointed we never held on for all three points.

There is a lot of criticism for Moore not making substitutions and whilst there are merits to that argument, I thought by and large we were comfortable. I didn’t think we were under any sustained pressure and we more than handled whatever Norwich three at us

What cannot be excused is the sheer stupidness of Gayle to make that challenge. We should have defended the second ball better but it was such a stupid foul to give away

On the whole - I thought everyone played well. Holgate is a great addition and Harper played well.

Pretty much sums it up for me.
 Barry getting booked had an impact on midfield as he was unable to carry on making his usual robust challenges and Norwich started to get control of the middle as Brunt can't tackle and Harper is inexperienced (although he did play well).

Thought Dawson bossed Pukki and the back 4 looked solid (apart from the statuesque defending for the goal). Gibbs and Holgate kept Hernandez quiet when he swapped wings and over all we looked well in control. Stupid challenge from Gayle but it was a typical centre forward challenge late in the game.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2019, 09:22:18 AM »
Thought we were very good, as were Norwich, 2 good teams on the day and a decent game.
Johnstone didn't have a great deal to do, but never looks convincing, especially from set pieces.
Back 4 especially were superb, good to see Hegazi back, Gibbs playing his best football for us and Holgate has solved the RB problem.
Midfield were solid especially Barry. News Flash: I posted I was disgraced by taxi gate and wanted him out, which seems to still have relevance to other arguments :o, still it didn't happen and I'm not one to bear grudges, if Moore can forgive him, so can I. Harper looked more than comfortable, excellent performance for one so young.
The front 3 did ok, but suddenly appears the weak link. J-Rod pretty ineffective, just doesn't have that striker's instinct when it comes to making runs and finding space, HRK has had his, very short, purple patch and was definitely the poorest player on the pitch and Gayle looks wasted out wide.
Hope Phillips is injured and not leaving  as I would like a front 3 of Phillips on the right, Gayle central + 1 on the left.

All in all though, happy with the performance and a decent point, could and probably been 3 but, Norwich are a very good side and will be in the mix come May, as will we.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2019, 06:50:20 PM »
Turned out to be a massive missed opportunity having seen the results this weekend. The actual performance was decent enough until players started to tire and then it was a case of the manager either sticking with them in the hope experience would see us through or making a couple of changes to get fresh legs on. Ultimately made the wrong choice in my opinion and I for one was furious for a couple of days after the game. He clearly doesn't trust the lads off the bench and we all know he has his usual go to guys off the bench when everyone is available so you can usually predict who will be coming on and when most weeks.