Author Topic: 25 Sept 2018 Albion 0 Crystal Palace 3 (Carabao Cup 3)  (Read 29945 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: September 26, 2018, 07:39:35 AM »
Maybe because he’s saving him for Saturday. He’s one of our most important players and we need him firing in the league. With all the extra games this season, this cup really was an unwanted risk with our limited squad.

So why bother putting him on the bench in the first place?
We should have known what to expect with HRK as our strike force
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:49:04 AM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2018, 07:53:03 AM »
most if not all of us will probably never see us win a cup. when in the prem it's survival comes first and in the championship it's promotion all that matters, sad really that honours ain't the priority anymore to majority of football clubs.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2018, 08:37:28 AM »
First chance to post on this but on that evidence very few of our back up/youth players are anywhere near good enough.

Positives
Morrison - Looked sharp, creative and up for it. Unfortunately didn't have the players around him on the same wavelength
Hegazi - Solid until he went off, distribution better than it has been in some recent league games

Negatives
HRK - Awful, barely anything stuck. Every through ball went to a palace player cause he is just to slow. At 0-0 was through on goal due to a defender slip and turned back into the defender!
Myhill - Not seen replays but think he could've done better on the first, his feet didn't get off the ground. Stuck on his line which could and should've led to two more goals at 1-0
Harper - If you take all the bad aspects of Pogba and apply none of the good ones then you have Harper. Sauntering around the pitch, hiding from receiving the ball and backwards/sideways when he has it
Townsend - Looking like a waste of (little) money. Not sure what he has; no pace, not great defensively, can't cross and no skill. As a result lost all confidence in himself
Barry - didn't have a bad game but can barely last a half fitness wise

Field made a few errors but got better on the ball second half and never lost confidence in himself which was good. However two townsend goals came from running at field (almost like he's not a centre back)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »
First chance to post on this but on that evidence very few of our back up/youth players are anywhere near good enough.

Positives
Morrison - Looked sharp, creative and up for it. Unfortunately didn't have the players around him on the same wavelength
Hegazi - Solid until he went off, distribution better than it has been in some recent league games

Negatives
HRK - Awful, barely anything stuck. Every through ball went to a palace player cause he is just to slow. At 0-0 was through on goal due to a defender slip and turned back into the defender!
Myhill - Not seen replays but think he could've done better on the first, his feet didn't get off the ground. Stuck on his line which could and should've led to two more goals at 1-0
Harper - If you take all the bad aspects of Pogba and apply none of the good ones then you have Harper. Sauntering around the pitch, hiding from receiving the ball and backwards/sideways when he has it
Townsend - Looking like a waste of (little) money. Not sure what he has; no pace, not great defensively, can't cross and no skill. As a result lost all confidence in himself
Barry - didn't have a bad game but can barely last a half fitness wise

Field made a few errors but got better on the ball second half and never lost confidence in himself which was good. However two townsend goals came from running at field (almost like he's not a centre back)

Agree with that. I agree with most of the non bold stuff too to be honest. They (Morrison and Hegazi)  were the only two who looked genuine Premier League quality. Barry has the ability but his legs have gone hence why he was happy to drop down a league.

Townsend reminds me of a left back version of McClean. Robson-Kanu is just a waste of a shirt.

Agree regarding Field, he had a shocker of a first half but didn't hide and actually played fairly well second half which showed great character for a kid. He looks lost at centre back though.

Harper had his limitations clearly exposed. He's ok against lower league teams where his presence and size help him  impose himself on them but against better opposition yesterday he got totally played around.

Hoolahan is too lightweight and not athletic enough for the Premier League but he will do a job on occasions for us at Championship level.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
The line up was pretty much expected but the performance wasn't. We lacked a cutting edge which HRK was never going to provide. Corners were dreadful, no matter who took them, did any get past the first defender?

Myhill should have done better for the first goal,but so should Field although to be fair to him he was played out of position and it was Andros Townsend.

Anyone wondering why the kids don't get a game, there was your evidence.

At least we can concentrate on the league now.

All 3 of them?

I would have preferred us to start with an attacking trio of Edwards, Leko and Burke as we would have at least had pace with which to trouble the two right backs they had playing centre back, instead it was Morrison and Hoolahan looking tricky on the ball but in actual fact getting us absolutely nowhere with an utter lump up front who would fail to get into most League One sides.

We have signed Mears and Townsend (who is 25 by the way, certainly no kid) who are both not up to it in the positions they are being asked to play as they are both very limited full backs at best, certainly not wing backs.

Barry played well first half but second half he faded again to be replaced by Brunt who proceeded to pass to the opposition time and time again as ever and fail to beat the first man with all corners with that wand of a left foot I am continually told he has.

Make no mistake, if Pulis had put that team out and set us up in that manner, he would have had absolute pelters because of it, but as it is Darren it is apparently fine to waste £10 of fans money and an evening of their time because he is resting players for the weekend game in a league whereby, even if we were poor against Preston and failed to get more than a point (which I think will happen in any event) there are countless other games to catch the points up in when we had a very presentable opportunity to progress in a Cup competition for the first time in a long time.

wba_jd26

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2018, 10:34:11 AM »
Would like to make a comment about Tyrone Mears who was utterly dreadful last night. He spent the game hiding and not wanting to receive the ball. It meant that none of our play could come down the right hand side and made it easy for palace to defend against.

I am seriously concerned at what we will do when/if Phillips gets injured

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
Would like to make a comment about Tyrone Mears who was utterly dreadful last night. He spent the game hiding and not wanting to receive the ball. It meant that none of our play could come down the right hand side and made it easy for palace to defend against.

I am seriously concerned at what we will do when/if Phillips gets injured

Simply put, we have to get both Phillips and Gibbs through to January unscathed playing every game because the other options in their respective positions are not up to it.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »
I didn't really care about last night tbh, I know that's sad, but to be devil's advocate what would people on here have been saying today if Barnes, Gayle or Phillips had played and picked up a knock so they missed out on three tough games next week, or worse, got a three month injury?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2018, 11:22:26 AM »
Disappointed not to see Burke,,Leko and Edwards start. This side was devoid of any pace and rarely troubled the opposition.

Palace thoroughly deserved their win.

Townsend and Mears were very poor. Hoolahan and Morrison the stand outs.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »
Think the criticism of Harper in particular is harsh, thats probably the toughest test he has had in his career and he wasn't as bad as some are making out, yes he lost the ball a few times, name one player who hasn't this season, yes he hit a few dodgy passes, again name a player who hasn't this season. He will learn a lot more from that last night than he will have done against Luton and Mansfield. Needs another loan move along with Edwards and Field as sitting on our bench watching the so called "better" players do exactly the same helps no-one but as we have this stupid rule that we have to have a home grown player on the bench then we'll no doubt keep them all sitting around getting no experience at all and maybe getting a game in the FA Cup if we draw another lower league team.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
Simply put, we have to get both Phillips and Gibbs through to January unscathed playing every game because the other options in their respective positions are not up to it.

Add Gayle and Barnes to that list.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2018, 12:40:35 PM »
I didn't really care about last night tbh, I know that's sad, but to be devil's advocate what would people on here have been saying today if Barnes, Gayle or Phillips had played and picked up a knock so they missed out on three tough games next week, or worse, got a three month injury?

they have just as much chance of getting injured in training but they don't stop training do they?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2018, 12:57:07 PM »
Absolute waste of time. I can understand the team selection, what I can't understand is the complete lack of intensity or desire. We simply didn't want to win that game, and it showed. Instead of go after a scalp that would have kept the positivity going, we give up from early on.

Showing Townsend inside onto his left, what were we thinking? That's a lack of scouting, preparation, or basic reading of the game. Anybody who has seen Match of the Day knows you don't do that.

Our Townsend was poor, but he disappeared as soon as Wan-Bissaka came on. It was like he realised that the Palace lad was too good for him to beat, and so he gave up and went into his shell. Robson-Kanu was rubbish as well. Granted he had a lack of support, but the first thing he looks to do is start backing into the defender instead of creating space for himself or others. And he couldn't read a Mr Men book, let alone a pass.

We were poor all over last night, but it's the attitude I can't stand. We not me and a positive mental attitude? Where's that gone.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2018, 02:59:11 PM »
What kids? That was our OAP team. Field was hung out to dry at centre back. Edwards came on at wing back and Burke and Leko didn't play a minute. Only Harper got a fair chance.

there's 3 then.... plus Townsend and Adabarioyo is still a kid too so that's 5 of the starting 11 ::) Field has played every cup match at the left side of the defensive three so hardly hung out to dry as you said. I'd prefer him to play in midfield myself but in previous rounds he has played well on the left side of defence, last night he was up against better opposition and he looked out of his depth. Harper was pretty anonymous in midfield and Edwards didn't really get involved. Both looked better in earlier rounds against lower league opposition but looked way out of depth last night along with Townsend, who I thought played well when he came on for Gibbs at Norwich and against both Luton and Mansfield but struggled against Blues and last night.

I was surprised that Burke wasn't involved as I thought we needed him and Gayle on but let's be honest, in his admittedly brief cameos for us, Burke has hardly set the world alight.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
there's 3 then.... plus Townsend and Adabarioyo is still a kid too so that's 5 of the starting 11 ::) Field has played every cup match at the left side of the defensive three so hardly hung out to dry as you said. I'd prefer him to play in midfield myself but in previous rounds he has played well on the left side of defence, last night he was up against better opposition and he looked out of his depth. Harper was pretty anonymous in midfield and Edwards didn't really get involved. Both looked better in earlier rounds against lower league opposition but looked way out of depth last night along with Townsend, who I thought played well when he came on for Gibbs at Norwich and against both Luton and Mansfield but struggled against Blues and last night.

I was surprised that Burke wasn't involved as I thought we needed him and Gayle on but let's be honest, in his admittedly brief cameos for us, Burke has hardly set the world alight.

Townsend is 25...he is not a kid.

Edwards didn't start, so 3 of the starting 11 were kids.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »

Totally agree with this comment. Mears hid on Saturday and had no intention on getting forward. His cross was for me him just wanting to get rid of the ball and he couldn’t pass backwards. Inept

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »
Think the criticism of harper is abit unfair- he's 18 and only played against Luton and Mansfield that was a far sterner test for him. He won the ball back countless times and looked tidy in possession without doing anything game changing.
He would benefit from half a season in league one with the view to championship football next year.

Field also looked tidy on the ball he's just not a centre back so was hung out to dry I would like to see him get game time. If not he should also be out on loan until end of season with bottom end championship club.

I agree with a lot of the posters, that at 1-0 down when making his triple sub he could have thrown on the likes off leko Burke or even Gayle. His subs reeled off making sure the 2 first teamers would be ready for sat- Barry and hegazi. His third sub replaced our worst player on the night. So I can give him slack for that.

It was the full 10 changes prior to the game that's unforgivable.
O Albion we love you

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »
Townsend is 25...he is not a kid.

Edwards didn't start, so 3 of the starting 11 were kids.
I stand corrected, I didn't realise Townsend was that old , he looks about 20.
 My original point of non of the kids looking good enough still stands though.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »
It's this old thing....if a 'normal' player has a dodgy game we might criticise the performance. If a young player has an off game 'he's not good enough' as though we should ditch him.

Playing in what was a pretty scratch team against Palace isn't that easy. Bringing Harper or Field or Edwards/Burke/Leko into a settled Saturday team would be a different matter.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »
It's this old thing....if a 'normal' player has a dodgy game we might criticise the performance. If a young player has an off game 'he's not good enough' as though we should ditch him.

Playing in what was a pretty scratch team against Palace isn't that easy. Bringing Harper or Field or Edwards/Burke/Leko into a settled Saturday team would be a different matter.

or not good enough to start in the first team...which is my point.