Author Topic: Sam Field Joins QPR  (Read 218263 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Field
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »
The ex-player pundits on sky were saying that it probably wasn't the best game to throw Field into a start in. We were likely to get beaten, and Everton is a very tough place to go away. Look at how HRK and McClean. Both given their first starts in a while and we were beaten 3-0, can't have done their confidence well at all, and also makes fans think that they aren't good enough, despite being beaten by a very good Everton team. Think blooding him in at home in a more winnable fixture could be more beneficial
Maybe, we'll see what happens. He's already started 2 or 3 of course so would be nice to see him start at least that many between now and the end of the season. Some more tough games to come but don't think we should be too over protective.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »
Maybe, we'll see what happens. He's already started 2 or 3 of course so would be nice to see him start at least that many between now and the end of the season. Some more tough games to come but don't think we should be too over protective.

Agree, I'd like to see him get some game time, just hope he doesn't get tarred under the poor end of season performance brush and have his confidence dented similar to Leko and to an extent HRK.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2017, 11:48:46 PM »
Livermore not the only one on international duty tonight, Sam scored for the under 19s in a 3-0 win over Norway.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »
Mature head on him for one so young did you see him take it into the corner after finding himself in Arsenal`s penalty area no bollicking`s from Mr Morrison for him. Well Done and for scoring for England yesterday.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2017, 11:59:47 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4343824/The-Secret-Scout-West-Brom-midfielder-Sam-Field.html

Our scout is a top football expert who attends matches each week searching for the next star.

He'll bring you his verdict in Sportsmail.

This week, he assesses the talents of West Brom midfielder Sam Field.

WHAT HAS HE GOT?

Over recent seasons, West Brom have relied mainly on the transfer market to maintain their Premier League status but in young Sam Field (below) I see a player with the quality to win a regular place.

At 18, he has already made an impression on his coaches. When I saw him in a cup tie this season he showed a maturity beyond his years. Playing in front of the back four, the six-footer did not display any nerves.

He was not fazed in the least and senior players showed complete confidence in him by giving him the ball at every opportunity when he found space.

He was always available even when the opposition were having a spell of high pressing and his ability on the ball caught my eye.

Playing a simple early passing game, this left-footer rarely lost possession and kept the flow moving towards the opposition goal.

When he saw the opportunity to play a diagonal ball towards the corner of the penalty box, he struck a well-flighted pass to provide his centre forward with a chance.

He knows when to stand still, a rare quality, and is not tempted to run out of position too early.

WHAT DOES HE NEED?

I wonder if he may be more effective playing further forward. In one game, he struck a couple of long passes with great accuracy and vision and, although he covers well when midfield colleagues go forward, I did consider that perhaps such a good passer could be more adventurous and productive.

I need to see more to judge his heading and would also like another chance to judge if he is aggressive enough.

Passing is his forte, though. He does not give the ball away and is effective under pressure. In his 19th year, his performances suggest he could hit the West Brom first team regularly with hard work and dedication.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »
Might not go down well this, but I'm not sure I see what the fuss is about

It's great that the academy are producing,  but I think the lad has a long way to go. I know he's young etc, but he's average from what I've seen. Maybe it's the role he's being asked to play but its all sidewards and backwards. Few opportunities to carry the ball on Friday and he turned back

Bit like Livermore really, maybe it's the coaching style putting a bit of a leash on the midfield , bit too cautious

I think we would do well to send Field to the championship and get a full season under his belt.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »
Might not go down well this, but I'm not sure I see what the fuss is about

It's great that the academy are producing,  but I think the lad has a long way to go. I know he's young etc, but he's average from what I've seen. Maybe it's the role he's being asked to play but its all sidewards and backwards. Few opportunities to carry the ball on Friday and he turned back

Bit like Livermore really, maybe it's the coaching style putting a bit of a leash on the midfield , bit too cautious

I think we would do well to send Field to the championship and get a full season under his belt.

No mate I agree, I havent seen anything to suggest he is a world beater yet, but he is only 18 and has a long way to go, the fact he is ready for 1st team football in the Prem at 18 shows me he obviously has talent but he hasnt burst onto the scene has he and made a huge impact.

Im hoping he will develop like Ward-Prowse at Southampton, he didnt burst onto the scene either but he has developed into a very good footballer

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »
I know he's only young but sometimes you watch a player of that age and think, blimey he's got a bit about him. Not for me this time round.

Hopefully I'm wrong
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »
I know he's only young but sometimes you watch a player of that age and think, blimey he's got a bit about him. Not for me this time round.

Hopefully I'm wrong

The comparison I always make is Michael Carrick, doesn't do anything flashy but he's always in space, doesn't seem fazed by pressure and always place the correct pass. He has the attributes that you can't teach like awareness and a cool head, I'd like to see him bulk up a little bit so he's stronger in the tackle but I think if he can work on his game he has the natural ability needed to be a very good midfielder.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »
I think he's improved a lot since last season and is less of a passenger in our more recent games, especially against Chelsea where it was a shame to go off. I think it says a lot at age 19 where he's holding his own. Does he look fantastic? No. However, I think as he matures he will only get better.
I'd rather have a young player consistently getting 7/10 performances than one who goes from great to awful by the week, hopefully next season he will properly blossom but overall I am quite pleased with his progress.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
Think that first half was tricky for all our midfield. Very little time on the ball when we had it and Chelsea were moving it quickly when they had it.
It's that question of team movement again. If no-one is making themselves available to receive the ball what is a player to do ? Either turn back or hit and hope.
It was really good to see him get some experience of games at that level - lets face it from under 23 'nothing' games to facing Hazard, Fabregas, Pedro and Matic.

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2017, 10:36:28 PM »
I think we have to give Sam some time, he's clearly highly regarded by not only TP but at England level. I'd say 100 plus games at PL level to say one way or the other IMO
Born and bred in Dudley

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2017, 10:36:27 AM »
He looks cool and composed on the ball. Picks a pass and not afraid to go in hard. I think the problem is he's not been playing with any midfielders that push forward, i think we'd see the best of him when we actually play Chadli or Morrison or somebody new in an advanced role.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
I think he played very well against Chelsea, considering he is 19 only. Calm on the ball and not afraid to make tackles.
Would like to see him to play full 90 mins in our last game of the season.
The PRIDE of midlands

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2017, 08:31:14 AM »
Do we need to send this lad out on loan? Think he's good enough and mature enough for first team football personally as shown in the two 1-0 victories
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2017, 09:11:33 AM »
Does need some experience at the lower level I think as very ineffective yesterday.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2017, 09:27:42 AM »
Personally I don't see him as an automatic first teamer.
He would definitely benefit from a run of games at Championship level to build up his confidence and reading of the game
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »
I would love to see Sam Field play in a team that actually wants to pass the ball through the midfield I don't think we are seeing the best of the player in a side which is playing 3 DM's whose main role is to stifle the opposition.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
Depends on we would sign another midfielder or not.
If not, keep Sam Field here for rotation. I'm sure he can learn a lot from Barry.
The PRIDE of midlands

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
Does need some experience at the lower level I think as very ineffective yesterday.

Whilst he wasn't particularly ineffective I think he showed a good positional sense as neither Bournemouth nor Burnley have created anything through his 'slot'

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2017, 04:22:46 PM »
Definitely needs a year in the Championship.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »
Both games have passed him by somewhat. Needs a loan move for the good of his career

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »
Yeah, looks as if he's definitely at the point where he needs regular challenging first team football, preferably at Championship level if possible.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
What are we expecting of this lad! Playing midfield in a TP side did what he had to do and 2 clean sheets.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
What are we expecting of this lad! Playing midfield in a TP side did what he had to do and 2 clean sheets.

That's a fair point at this moment in time. My own comment was in anticipation that we will actually sign a couple more players and he will no longer get the regular starts he needs here.