Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 647113 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1125 on: April 04, 2019, 09:39:07 AM »
A massively changed Albion U18’s side held Liverpool to a 3-3 draw while fielding mostly first year scholars (15/16 year olds) just two days after losing in the youth cup to Man City. Came from behind twice and lead into injury time. Scorers were Stanley Asomugha, Harry Williams and Louie Barry.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/april/albion-u18s-3-liverpool-u18s-3/

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1126 on: April 04, 2019, 09:48:17 AM »
Isn't this the lad who have Bayern and Madrid scouts watching him recently?

Seems to score goals for fun, just a shame for us as a club that he's getting so much interested at such a young age.

Will be surprised if we ever see him in the first team if he continues at this rate of progression.
according to an E&S article, under 18’s are not allowed to move to foreign clubs but can move at 16 if within the European Economic area. He’s 16 in June... A no deal brexit would pull us out of the EEA and we can hold him from foreign teams for another two years!  ;D

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/04/04/west-brom-keen-to-keep-teenager-amid-barcelona-interest/

Powelly

• Reserve Baggie

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1128 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:09 PM »
Feel sorry for our youngsters when I saw the performance from those so-called experienced players this season.
Harper, Field and Edwards deserve more chances definitely. 
The PRIDE of midlands

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1129 on: April 06, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
 You'd think under 23 manager in charge he'd be more inclined to pick from the academy but field has been bombed out the squad entirely, Harper hasn't played a minute since his first game, and Edwards was removed as quick as he came in.

Either he doesn't rate them at all or it makes life far easier to keep the senior pros happy and playing. We've been atrocious in midfield every game under Shan so it's hard to believe Harper has dropped out of contention entirely by merit.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1130 on: April 06, 2019, 04:56:35 PM »
You'd think under 23 manager in charge he'd be more inclined to pick from the academy but field has been bombed out the squad entirely, Harper hasn't played a minute since his first game, and Edwards was removed as quick as he came in.

Either he doesn't rate them at all or it makes life far easier to keep the senior pros happy and playing. We've been atrocious in midfield every game under Shan so it's hard to believe Harper has dropped out of contention entirely by merit.
Shan can't pick field/Harper
Where do they play, who would miss out .....who's actually picking the team ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1131 on: April 06, 2019, 05:31:52 PM »
Shan can't pick field/Harper
Where do they play, who would miss out .....who's actually picking the team ?

No one picks Field except Megson he's not good enough . Harper is rightly out of the side until he signs a deal.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1132 on: April 06, 2019, 07:13:47 PM »

No one picks Field except Megson he's not good enough . Harper is rightly out of the side until he signs a deal.

For the sake of the same old circle i'll bite  :D

Proved he's good enough in a higher league, can tackle, can pass the ball which are two things lacking from our midfield at this time.

As for Harper I personally do not care about his contract at the moment, we cannot afford to leave players out over contract issues. Would we be doing the same with a more experienced player ? Not a chance, if he improves the side which he will be doing then he should be starting.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1133 on: April 06, 2019, 07:16:36 PM »

Field not better than any of the clowns who played today? Why is Harper out until he signs a deal? are you suggesting seriously that he is less committed than our loan signings who will all walk away at the end of the season ?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1134 on: April 06, 2019, 07:24:41 PM »

Right now I'd rather megson than Shan and suggest megson has way more experience .

Not picking a good player whilst paying him is stupidity, we both know that your mate brunt is having too much influence
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1135 on: April 06, 2019, 07:34:35 PM »
Been very disappointed with Darren and Jimmy for not getting more youngsters in the match day squad and first eleven this season. Totally frustrated that youth has been stiffeld by these coaches for what ever reason.

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1136 on: April 06, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »

And why would Harper sign for a team which doesn't play him? Especially when that team is under-performing? Not to mention that it's not his fault we didn't recognise his talent earlier and reward him with a contract at the start of the season - which would have avoided being in this situation altogether.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1137 on: April 06, 2019, 10:04:08 PM »

So, we alienate him, making his departure even more likely, brilliant strategy
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1138 on: April 06, 2019, 10:09:00 PM »
So, we alienate him, making his departure even more likely, brilliant strategy

There is a deal on the table if he was going to sign it he would have. There is no need for a strategy, he's leaving so why waste anymore time on him?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1139 on: April 06, 2019, 10:18:29 PM »

There is a deal on the table if he was going to sign it he would have. There is no need for a strategy, he's leaving so why waste anymore time on him?

Purely because the midfield is lacking what he offers.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1140 on: April 06, 2019, 10:39:18 PM »
Purely because the midfield is lacking what he offers.

Agreed, Livermore should never play for us again while Rekeem is on the books but I understand why they're doing it.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1141 on: April 06, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »

Agreed, Livermore should never play for us again while Rekeem is on the books but I understand why they're doing it.

:D :D When fit Barry and Harper should be starters but the other is tough between our central midfielders Johansen, Morrison, Field, Livermore and Hoolahan. I'd give Hoolahan a go, offers more creativity than the rest.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1142 on: April 06, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »
:D :D When fit Barry and Harper should be starters but the other is tough between our central midfielders Johansen, Morrison, Field, Livermore and Hoolahan. I'd give Hoolahan a go, offers more creativity than the rest.

Can't see Barry playing for us again. Brunt must play even if it is only for the marginal gains in key moments from set pieces (in your mind; as you know I think his general play merits a shirt).

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1143 on: April 06, 2019, 10:56:02 PM »

Can't see Barry playing for us again. Brunt must play even if it is only for the marginal gains in key moments from set pieces (in your mind; as you know I think his general play merits a shirt).

Last I heard Barry is injured and he does want to play next season although it won't be for us as we need to get wages down.

Brunt is not a central midfielder hence I didn't mention him, its more than just in my mind, he cannot tackle, he gives away stupid free kicks in dangerous places and in the middle we need youth and players who can get around the pitch. We're not the sort of team that can carry a luxury player just for set pieces, he offers nothing else so for us to move on he has to be a bench warmer or next season at left back if Gibbs moves on in the Summer. By putting him in the middle you take away his crossing which is the best asset he has.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1144 on: April 06, 2019, 11:00:03 PM »
Last I heard Barry is injured and he does want to play next season although it won't be for us as we need to get wages down.

Brunt is not a central midfielder hence I didn't mention him, its more than just in my mind, he cannot tackle, he gives away stupid free kicks in dangerous places and in the middle we need youth and players who can get around the pitch. We're not the sort of team that can carry a luxury player just for set pieces, he offers nothing else so for us to move on he has to be a bench warmer or next season at left back if Gibbs moves on in the Summer. By putting him in the middle you take away his crossing which is the best asset he has.

Shan would have no points from 4 games or very close to it, if it wasn't for Brunt. Best of the centre mids again today... as ever, agree to disagree.  ;D

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1145 on: April 06, 2019, 11:04:57 PM »

Shan would have no points from 4 games or very close to it, if it wasn't for Brunt. Best of the centre mids again today... as ever, agree to disagree.  ;D

Purely hypothetical to say, without Brunt we may not have needed set pieces plus there are also others in the squad capable but then they hardly ever get chance to take one.

As for today thats scraping the barrel after a performance like that.

We've needed a freshness to the midfield for the past few years, we have youth coming through capable but are again getting overlooked here but getting recognition elsewhere.  Players get old and no matter who they are, how long they have been here they have to be moved on whether thats on the bench or out the club altogether.

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1146 on: April 07, 2019, 10:26:38 AM »
Whether people like it or not, we are going to have to rely on our academy graduates next year if we don't get promoted (as is looking increasingly likely).

Our loan signings will depart, as will a considerable number of the first-team squad - most likely those who are good and in their prime (for example Gibbs, Phillips, Hegazi etc.). That's going to leave us with a pretty thin squad and I know that I'd much rather we turn to the likes of Edwards, Burke, Leko and Rogers than fall back on ageing free-transfer pros looking for a final paycheque. Sadly I doubt we'll have the money to go out and buy proven players in their prime.

It's such a shame we continue to mismanage youth players as we are currently doing with Harper. Only have to look at how well Tyler Roberts is doing over at promotion rivals Leeds. Then again, if he was still here he probably would barely have played outside of a league cup appearance or two.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1147 on: April 07, 2019, 05:43:19 PM »

All football contracts are a negotiation, especially with how detailed they are now. It's not like we make an offer, and he takes it or leaves it, they'll be constantly talking about giving a little here, taking a little there.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1148 on: April 29, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »
U18's beat Man City 3-1 over the weekend and have finished 9th in the Premier League North division.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/april/albion-u18s-3-man-city-u18s-1/

Another goal from Morgan Rogers.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1149 on: April 29, 2019, 11:15:50 PM »
palace and Bournemouth interested in o'shea.