Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 851309 times)

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #1375 on: September 14, 2018, 11:21:10 PM »
My one wrangling thought having watched Brentford a few times this season is what would Dean Smith do with this group of players. We have been thoroughy outplayed in every away game bar 20 minutes against Norwich in the second & the last 10 minutes tonight & against Forest. The really worrying thing for me is that he seems to be very slow to react to things, Brunt should have been dropped weeks ago yet he’s still getting in the time, the 3 at the back look so susceptible with the ball at their feet yet he still persists with them playing out from the back. It’s clear to see for everyone out there it wasn’t working tonight why wait 70 minutes to change it up? Why not try and play a different formation?

As others have mentioned this is our one really big chance to get out of the league this season if we don’t then Gayle, Barnes, Rodriguez (although based on tonight it won’t be a huge loss), Phillips, Gibbs, Dawson will all be gone next year and we won’t be in the financial position to replace them.

We are looking at a very different picture had Johnstone not saved the 3 penalties he’s faced this season.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1376 on: September 14, 2018, 11:23:32 PM »
Awful, no skill, no speed, contributes nothing. Needs to be dropped. Just don't understand why DM keeps picking him. Bring back Rodriguez I say.
correct only one of the above, speed I know lots of people with speed doesn't make them good footballers though. Funny that 3 different   head coaches didn't don't play him.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1377 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:52 PM »
correct only one of the above, speed I know lots of people with speed doesn't make them good footballers though. Funny that 3 different   head coaches didn't don't play him.
Exactly. On what then do you base your opinion?

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1378 on: September 14, 2018, 11:41:52 PM »
Exactly. On what then do you base your opinion?
What? I am basing my opinion on Burke ain't no good!? Apart from being fast??

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1379 on: September 14, 2018, 11:44:28 PM »
Burke hasn't been given a chance at this club and if Darren persist's with his favourites then if I was Oliver I'd be looking for a move same goes for Field and Leko.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1380 on: September 14, 2018, 11:48:10 PM »
Burke hasn't been given a chance at this club and if Darren persist's with his favourites then if I was Oliver I'd be looking for a move same goes for Field and Leko.
I beg to differ he as been given a chance but as never taken it as I said in a previous post Darren Moore is the third head coach who won't play him

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1381 on: September 15, 2018, 03:38:15 AM »
I beg to differ he as been given a chance but as never taken it as I said in a previous post Darren Moore is the third head coach who won't play him

I agree mate, when I’ve seen him he’s technically not done it for me. There could be times where his pace scares teams and that could be an advantage but I don’t really trust his final ball or decision making to say he should be playing.

On to Moore I still think we are in a transitional period, we hated the way we played for a few years now and we wanted it changed. As far as I can see Moore is trying to do this, it won’t happen over night so I can’t see how people can slate him.

A few people questioning him were the same people saying we need to change; if come December we are still putting performances like tonight and not challenging then I agree ask questions but at the moment we are stil trying to change and play the way everyone wanted.

He’s got to have time to change and do what he wants to do and we have to back him

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1382 on: September 15, 2018, 05:59:41 AM »
darren moore only interested in playing his mates, the same players that didnt turn up last season and are doing the same again..he is out of his depth i hope we have dean smith on speed dial and take captain marvel with him, the most over rated footballer in the last 10yrs

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1383 on: September 15, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »
I’m a supporter of Moore but I’d say the management team as a whole failed last night. We needed to change it and playing it out from the back really wasn’t working. We miss having a lump like Rondon up top as believe it or not long balls sometimes cause issues (see Blues v us last night!).

I think we needed to drop to a back 4 last night and take j rod off for a midfielder to go 4231.

I want to see them be a bit more pro active on the subs front. Burke can’t be rated or he’d have been on in a game like that.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1384 on: September 15, 2018, 07:42:38 AM »
Sure we didn't play well but,we still managed to get an away point.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1385 on: September 15, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »
I cannot believe the tone of some of the comments on here. The vast bulk of fans wanted Moore and they had to know that he was relatively inexperienced and that means he is going to make mistakes well last night he made a mistake in keeping the team as it was, but really that is part of the process.

Maybe he is persisting too long with Brunt in midfield but he doesn't yet trust the alternatives or he knows Barry has no more legs than Brunt maybe he knows stuff I don't. However he has adjusted during the season and I am sure he will pick over last night and he will make changes.

What he cannot do is abandon the way we are playing he simply does not have the personnel to revert to lumping the ball up the pitch Pulis style and nor should he if this is what he believes in then he has to succeed or fail doing what he believes to be right.

You cannot take 90 minutes or even 7 games as definitive proof of anything.     
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1386 on: September 15, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »
What he cannot do is abandon the way we are playing he simply does not have the personnel to revert to lumping the ball up the pitch Pulis style and nor should he if this is what he believes in then he has to succeed or fail doing what he believes to be right.

I don't want the team to lump the ball aimlessly up the pitch. Nor do I want to watch Hegazi, Dawson and Bartley passing it between themselves for a whole game deep in their own half. We had 58% possession last night and barely got near the Blues goal until the last 10 minutes. Hegazi seems to think he's the new Pirlo and we get points for every successful pass he exchanges with Dawson and Bartley. Why don't we try something novel like passing the ball to one of the five midfielders occasionally? Or if they are being pressed to death spin it into the channel for one of the front two? Just a bit of common sense would help. God knows what DM told them at half time yesterday as all the obvious first half errors were repeated second half.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1387 on: September 15, 2018, 09:33:52 AM »
wrong mate, Burke scored in league Cup and played well but following game was unused sub so how is that giving him a chance  ??? Clueless vilified him in game against spam and he having worst record as head coach. As for Pulisball signed by him and under used by coach who had lost the plot in the end

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1388 on: September 15, 2018, 09:34:35 AM »
Big Dave is learning as he goes but there are some quite obvious flaws which need to be rectified.

At the moment Johnstone makes the defence nervous and vice versa, the players make the fans nervous and vice versa.

I want us to continue with the passing approach and it will take time to fully function but we have a problem when 2 of the 3 centre backs cant pass a ball well and based on last night, make that all 3 centre backs as Dawson was terrible.

It is a worry that players in the 2nd highest level of british football struggle to pass a ball forwards, the Stoke game suited us as they didnt really pressure our defence, they sat in their own half which meant when we had the ball at the back it didnt really matter if we made any mistakes. Last night Blues played a bit quicker and forced us into mistakes, i expect Bristol City to play a bit quicker than the Blues too, force us into even more mistakes, Bristol City also pass the ball well and have more quality than the Blues and i expect them to beat us quite comfortable which may in the long run be a good thing.

Our possession stats up but its passing it for the sake of it, teams are quite happy to sit deeper because we arent doing anything with the ball, you need at least one of your centre backs to be comfortable in carrying the ball forward, bringing it out of defence, that way it eventually forces the opposition to break ranks a bit, start closing down the centre back higher up the pitch which then leaves space, which then falls on our midfield and attacking players to exploit that space by moving and creating space elsewhere too.

Also when we are passing it, the most basic passing drill you are taught is playing in triangles, ie - everytime you have the ball you should have 2 options, one diagonally to your left, one diagonally to your right, we just seem to have one option which is sideways.

Ideally you need all 3 of your centre backs being able to do it, certainly 2, i think Tosin on paper would be the obvious one, after spending all your development years at Man City you would hope he is comfortable on the ball something which none of our current ones are, Bartley is about a typical championship centre half as you get - cumbersome, Hegazi is inconsistent, Dawson i find it hard to believe he can be as bad again as he was last night, but whether he is still playing catchup due to preseason but he is struggling, he was partly at fault for the Boro goal, nearly gifted Mansfield a goal and was terrible in general last night.

The midfield combo isnt working, i can understand Big Dave persisting with the same team as Stoke to give them another chance, but it was clear early doors it wasnt working, we scraped in drawing at half time and thats where changes should of been made, Jones is the more experienced one and maybe thats where Mooro needs his help. Livermore and Brunt were awful, the advantage Livermore has over Brunt is that he has played good a couple of times this season, Brunt hasnt even done that, so hopefully last night was the turning point.

Its not even just legs in there, at least Barry will keep the ball and hold his natural position, it isnt Brunts position and at least when dropped he can go back to competing for a place on the left where he is at his best and we can play a centre midfield in centre midfield, arguably the most important position on the pitch, sadly i dont think it will happen and i expect Brunt / Livermore to start Tuesday.

I can see why we have signed Hoolahan as another option for that attacking midfield role, Barnes came into the game the last 15 minutes but until then Blues swamped him and also he got fouled a lot which is probably a sign of things to come, Morrison hasnt made the bench last two games (not sure if thats because of injury or just not included) but a Morrison or Hoolahan would of been ideal last night, the two up top wasnt working, Blues dealt with it comfortable, however having two natural attacking midfielders would cause a bit of confusion and again create that elusive thing - space!

JRod was poor the last two games, you can never fault his effort, but again i would imagine he will start Tuesday but unless he starts to contribute to the game then his place should be in doubt, i think he has only scored one goal from outfield play this season which will no doubt bug him, he is a quality player but hasnt had a particularly good season yet overall.

The 4 away games have all been poor and i dont think its unfair to say that the approach we are going with isnt working, i dont like it anyway but its ok hanging in there and then going for it the last 15-20 minutes if your defence is rock solid and keeps you in it, however ours isnt, we always concede and on all our away games we have been lucky to not be out of sight by the 70th minute, eventually that will come unstuck.

Last night was the first time i saw Big Dave look agitated, he wasnt happy, i dont think he is a soft touch, i think he is a fair loyal person but i think he hopefully will see now that although we are on the right path, there are some tweaks and changes need to be made, including probably leaving out some of the bigger names.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1389 on: September 15, 2018, 09:42:02 AM »
You've summed up the situation perfectly Albion 79. Well done

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1390 on: September 15, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »
To be fair, I have to agree Albion79.

I want us to continue passing, as we've been crying out for a change of style for years, and it won't happen overnight. It won't realistically happen in one season, it will take a long time to shake off the Pulis "style". However, we desperately need better scouting, which is only partly down to DM. We need different starting XI's depending on who we're playing, which is mainly down to DM and we need more subs, which again, is mainly down to DM.

Moore obviously sees things in training that we're not seeing on the pitch. But last night, we just couldn't get the ball through to our front men. Distribution was the worst I've seen for a long while. These are all things that DM could be improving in training, but it seems as though the players had the past two weeks off.

We all have our own opinions of course, but for me, Johnstone just isn't an improvement on Foster. He seems shy and loves to stay on his line. Perhaps he's being told to do this, I don't know. But he isn't proactive and this makes me nervous. The entire defence makes me nervous. And considering Big Dave was a defender, I'd have thought we'd have been tight there and slack everywhere else. But I'd say defence is where we're most vulnerable. We have some quality in midfield and JRod and Gayle are quality strikers, we just need better play from the back.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1391 on: September 15, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
I cannot believe the tone of some of the comments on here. The vast bulk of fans wanted Moore and they had to know that he was relatively inexperienced and that means he is going to make mistakes well last night he made a mistake in keeping the team as it was, but really that is part of the process.

Maybe he is persisting too long with Brunt in midfield but he doesn't yet trust the alternatives or he knows Barry has no more legs than Brunt maybe he knows stuff I don't. However he has adjusted during the season and I am sure he will pick over last night and he will make changes.

You cannot take 90 minutes or even 7 games as definitive proof of anything. 

Hmmm. I'm worried that we're slowly sleep-walking into mid-table oblivion and a non-entity in the eyes of the wider footballing public.

I was bored senseless (again) last night watching careful possession football with little pace and flair followed by a hopeful hoof. It wont bring promotion or excitement, but will probably gain enough points for safety. Is that what we really want to see?

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1392 on: September 15, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »

He didn't though he just employed a half pitch press having his players sit off the back three until they gave it away. Hardly mind blowing stuff.

Precisely right, and yet it was still enough to outclass Moore with a far worse side. Anyone who isn’t concerned by our away form at this stage of the season should look at it a bit more deeply, we haven’t played well in a single game as yet which means we will have to win nigh on every home game to have a chance of finishing where would should with this squad, top 2

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1393 on: September 15, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
Precisely right, and yet it was still enough to outclass Moore with a far worse side. Anyone who isn’t concerned by our away form at this stage of the season should look at it a bit more deeply, we haven’t played well in a single game as yet which means we will have to win nigh on every home game to have a chance of finishing where would should with this squad, top 2

Moore can't pass the ball for the back 3.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1394 on: September 15, 2018, 02:33:15 PM »

Moore can't pass the ball for the back 3.

He can select the make up of it though and not play a back 3 or Bartley. Sadly he’s left himself with no choice now as he has failed to bring in a right back of any quality.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1395 on: September 15, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
We are invested in Darren Moore and have to stick with him while he makes his mistakes.

As long as we stay in touch while we are trying to perfect our new system, this is fine with me.

I have doubts over some of his team selections (Brunt).

Last night was an absolute shambolic performance. I couldnt believe what i was seeing. It was as though our 11 players consisted of 2 teams.

Moore needs to learn how to deal with teams that sit back and don't take the bait to press us. So many times we baited them and they wouldn't press. Its simple stuff really. Lots of teams will do it to us. We need to work out a way of playing to our strengths (ie NOT long ball) when the team are sitting back.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1396 on: September 15, 2018, 04:10:59 PM »
wrong mate, Burke scored in league Cup and played well but following game was unused sub so how is that giving him a chance  ??? Clueless vilified him in game against spam and he having worst record as head coach. As for Pulisball signed by him and under used by coach who had lost the plot in the end
I know he scored in the league cup I was there but he didn't play well that's why he wasn't in the next game.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1397 on: September 15, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
To be fair, I have to agree Albion79.

I want us to continue passing, as we've been crying out for a change of style for years, and it won't happen overnight. It won't realistically happen in one season, it will take a long time to shake off the Pulis "style". However, we desperately need better scouting, which is only partly down to DM. We need different starting XI's depending on who we're playing, which is mainly down to DM and we need more subs, which again, is mainly down to DM.

Moore obviously sees things in training that we're not seeing on the pitch. But last night, we just couldn't get the ball through to our front men. Distribution was the worst I've seen for a long while. These are all things that DM could be improving in training, but it seems as though the players had the past two weeks off.

We all have our own opinions of course, but for me, Johnstone just isn't an improvement on Foster. He seems shy and loves to stay on his line. Perhaps he's being told to do this, I don't know. But he isn't proactive and this makes me nervous. The entire defence makes me nervous. And considering Big Dave was a defender, I'd have thought we'd have been tight there and slack everywhere else. But I'd say defence is where we're most vulnerable. We have some quality in midfield and JRod and Gayle are quality strikers, we just need better play from the back.

Totally agree with you on Johnstone. The loss of Foster is huge. Not just for his shot-stopping, but for his organisation of the defence and ability to get an offensive move started quickly before the opposition are back in formation.

I disagree on it taking a long time to shake off the Pulis style. That's long gone in my opinion. We are no longer playing 4 centre backs, 2 defensive midfielders, lumping the ball up top and playing low possession football.

We are now trying to play a more attractive passing possession game - We're just currently rubbish at it.

Although it is still early days in Moore's tenure he needs to stop repeating the same mistakes over and over.

The owners have paid top price for this club and we are now worth a fraction of that price. The investors won't be happy. We either bounce back to the premiership this season or I'd imagine there will be pressure to asset strip, including the parachute payments.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1398 on: September 15, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »
Darren Moore needs to get a grip quickly. This team lacks a spine and a coherent defense. We look good at the attacking end but the imbalance in the team is palpable. If this continues we will look good in some games and shocking in others, exactly what we have seen on the pitch so far. This is not how to build a campaign for promotion. Promotion, a winning season, is built on consistent quality and a winning mentality. 

Now it is up to Darren to prove, quickly, he has what it takes to be a winning head coach and show that he can out think and out coach his opponents. Being too soft is as bad as being too rigid (TP, Megson). If DM is to survive he must show he has a winner instinct and do what is necessary to address the problems.

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1399 on: September 15, 2018, 05:58:32 PM »
I admire the way he wants us to play but Adarabioyo has to start if we are going to pass it from the back. Bit ridiculous that the kid was dropped for no reason other than that Dawson was back.

This for me is where Moore is falling down right now - team selection and substitutions. It really does seem like he has his favourites and will stick to them. A lot of the kids have played well in the cup and deserve game time in the league now - yes it's a step up, but we have to give them the chance to show they can do it or else we'll never bring anyone through.