Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5163926 times)

cheesyknackers

• Youth Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »
Reading this whilst watching the Dambusters on TV.

Der der der der du du der der ....

Looking forward to today's game for the first time this season.
Win or lose today , there is change on the very near horizon, and for the better.

der der der der du du du der du der...

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »
The thread says 'Manager' have we done away with the Head Coach title then?
don't think so, Pulis is still head coach but is as powerful as Hodgson was.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »
I don't think the issue of 'pace on the wing' is too big, and if it is I'm sure he'll bring someone quick in January.

The good/bad? thing about Pulis is he's not afraid to experiment with positions, so I really wouldn't be too surprised if he put Gamboa as an attacking winger which I personally think is his best position anyway.
If you look at Stoke he never really had massive pace on the wing, I think it was Pennant and Etherington for a few years who aren't massively quick.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
I hope he proves me wrong and doesn't bring Stokes style of play with him. It is possible to play attractive football and win. Swansea and Southampton have proved that and look at how much West Ham have improved this season after getting the ball on the deck. I have no doubt he'll keep us up now which is the critical thing.

Welcome to The Hawthorns Tony. Hopefully you can win over the minority fans like me and make me eat humble pie.

I'm not on the wind up here. But what do you consider as attractive football?

Personally I would say Liverpool last season were very entertaining. Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling flying forward and creating chance after chance. Liverpool this season don't get the ball forward quickly because it comes straight back to them. Which leaves the defenders keeping the ball moving around the back 4 more.

Defenders keeping possession looks great on the statistics. But is it really entertaining? It looks attractive to the purists yes, but if you're not threatening the opposition goalkeeper would you be sitting on the edge of your seat?

Or would you like to see wingers bombing down the touchline and regularly crossing the ball to your forwards?

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2015, 12:38:46 PM »
Attractive football for me is "pass and move..........NOT Hoof and run !!

As long as we see the former and not the latter, I'll be happy.

Welcome Tony, prove your doubters wrong and get us winning but without the hoof n rush !!!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
Not a big lover of the man but he is exactly what we need at the moment so I have to applaud the club for their quickness in firstly sacking Irvine and appointing Pulis. He's going to by hook or by crook pull this football club together both on the pitch and off it.

This isn't a perfect squad and I'm very interested to see how we perform - and moreso, be interesting to see what sort of business we do in the transfer market.

Strap yourself in folks..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
Attractive football for me is "pass and move..........NOT Hoof and run !!

As long as we see the former and not the latter, I'll be happy.

Welcome Tony, prove your doubters wrong and get us winning but without the hoof n rush !!!
I personally think we will be much better at getting the ball forward under Pulis rather than slowing play up and over passing it in deep areas. I'm not talking about just hit and hope long balls, a long ball into space for a wide player to run onto should create us more chances than we have been

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »
don't think so, Pulis is still head coach but is as powerful as Hodgson was.

Ah right. Perhaps the mods could amend the thread title to reflect as it is a tad confusing.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »
Nothing I can say here that hasn't already been well put by a good many of you... but I am excited! Great appointment, well done JP!

Welcome aboard, TP, and like Liam said, strap yourselves in  :D
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2015, 01:05:42 PM »
Let the clear out begin - and bring in the new blood asap.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
With Greenock on this world of difference between pass and move and hit and hope. The one redeeming feature of Pulisball mark one was his use of wingers to attack the opposition on the counter but his style was to by-pass the midfield hit it long play for set plays in the opposition half and the bulk of Stoke's chances came from those situations. Fine, it worked but even Stoke fans tired of watching it after 5 seasons.

Whether that was his preferred style of play or one that he settled on given the players he had we will never know and right now Albion fans seem happy enough to trade a bit of stability and another season in the Premier League for any prospect of more cultured football. I am not sure the Pulisball mkII as seen at Palace is a massive improvement on mkI but I have to take a wait and see approach as I would with any coach.

Each situation is different and while we might make a signing or two in the window any major surgery will have to wait to the summer so Pulis will have to work with what he has got. Getting the most out of this squad is the challenge and dragging it through to end of the season in anyway possible regardless of style in the short term should be entirely acceptable to most Baggies fans, but longer term we will still want a game based on pass move rather than hit and hope. If we have Pullisball mkI for an extended period unless the results are out of this world then I suspect the fans will turn quite quickly.   
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:16:17 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2015, 01:10:56 PM »
Overriding feeling is relief. Irvine was the worst thing to happen to our club for a decade. Peace and Burton I feel have pulled off a real coup here akin to the Hodgson appointment.

Welcome Tony, I look forward to anticipating match day with excitement again starting Saturday.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wimbledon baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2015, 01:17:04 PM »
Absolutely delighted with this appointment.

I really thought our structure/JP would prevent it from happening so fair play to JP for altering the set up to accommodate TP and his back room staff.

The length of contract is a real statement of intent as well.

Our run in does not seem quite so daunting now!!

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2015, 01:23:20 PM »
Former Stoke defender Danny Higginbotham, who played under Tony Pulis:
"Man management is the key to it. You can't treat them all the same and that's why Tony gets the best out of players and he certainly did that at Stoke, especially the first season in the Premier League. He's a manager that looks at players and doesn't ask them to do things they can't do. He gets the best out of them and puts that winning mentality into them as well."

Just what we need - "caps off" to this appointment  ;D
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »
Suddenly feel that i have that desire ans passion back!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
Where's Gerry mullet?  :'(
hes at the hairdressers.
welcome to wba mr pulis and happy hunting.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »
I had no games planned to attend, tonight I will start booking hotels for a few trips to the Hawthorns.  ;D

Optimism is a wonderful thing.
Baggie in Southampton

popbaggie28

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »
Happy New year Delighted iis an understatement boing f*fkin boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
Welcome aboard the good ship Albion skipper.
Here's to you successfully guiding us through the choppy waters ahead.
 8).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

valleybaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
this appointment must go down as peace doing a very good job . when he said he'd learned lessons and appointed irvine it seemed like he didn't know what he was talking about but giving pulis full control and bending his views to bring tony in it's excellent business for the club. and one of the biggest things tony will bring to the club will be unity amongst the players on the pitch.and if any player whoever he maybe dosen't give is all for the cause they won't be here very long ala gary megson when he transformed a team struggling to stay in the league to promotion

jimbo22

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »
Arsenal away, everyone in baseball caps?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »
Just on the radio:

As Stoke manager, Tony Pulis has more wins at the Hawthorns than Irvine and Mel combined.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

tipton baggie 80

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
Thrilled with appointment. Looks like uncle Roy has had a positive word or two for us as well...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-bromwich-albion/11319993/Tony-Pulis-to-take-1.75m-West-Brom-role-after-consulting-Roy-Hodgson.html

Boing boing!!!
West Bromwich Albion, finishing above Staffordshire's finest when in the same league over the last 12 years

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »
Just on the radio:

As Stoke manager, Tony Pulis has more wins at the Hawthorns than Irvine and Mel combined.
Good god what a shocking statistic but lets hope he carries on winning at the hawthorns.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
Right man at the Right time.
Welcome Tony