Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5133302 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Tony Pulis
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:02:47 AM »
As expected on two and a half year deal taking charge after todays game
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:58:36 PM by Political Cake »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:03:50 AM »
This is the best birthday present I could have wished for. Great appointment.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/west-bromwich-albion-baggies-tony-pulis-new-head-coach-2175923.aspx

West Bromwich Albion are today delighted to confirm the appointment of Premier League Manager of the Year Tony Pulis as the club’s new Head Coach.

Pulis has agreed a two-and-a-half-year contract with the Baggies and will take charge after today’s Barclays Premier League fixture at West Ham.

His appointment takes his management career into a 23rd year, a career highlighted by landmark roles establishing Stoke City as a Premier League force before last season’s remarkable rescue of Crystal Palace from the threat of relegation.

It is the second time in four years Albion have appointed a reigning Premier League Manager of the Year. That was the title held by Roy Hodgson when he was named Head Coach in February 2011 and the same award was bestowed upon Albion’s new Head Coach for his acclaimed revival of Palace last season.

The Eagles finished 11th after the Welshman took control of a team holding just four points from 11 games and placed six points from safety.

He needs little further introduction to Hawthorns fans who saw his Stoke team become such a thorn in Albion’s side throughout a seven-year stint in the Potteries which transformed the club.

Pulis, who left Palace before the start of this season, said: “I’m absolutely delighted to accept the job and I do so with a simple but important message for the Albion fans and everyone at the club.

“Every successful club is built on unity and that is what I shall strive to help bring to Albion. We need everyone together from top to bottom – the supporters, all the staff, the players, everyone who has an interest in the club’s welfare.

“With that, we can go forward together and hopefully take this club up the Premier League.”

The Newport-born Pulis holds the proud record of never suffering relegation as a manager and he arrives with Premier League survival the priority target outlined by the Albion board.

The club’s Technical Director Terry Burton said: “We are delighted to secure a man of Tony’s calibre and proven ability.

“He made it clear that this position excited him and that he was eager to get back into the business of winning Premier League points - and there are few who know how to do it better.”

Pulis cut his managerial teeth first as a player-coach for Harry Redknapp at Bournemouth in 1992 and onwards through further appointments with Gillingham, Bristol City and Portsmouth.

But it was at Stoke where his reputation was cemented as he transformed the club from a mid-table Championship outfit to one of the toughest in the Premier League with a feared home record and top-flight stability.

He is due to meet with his new players briefly today before watching the Hammers clash from the stands. He plans to attend his first media conference as Albion’s new Head Coach tomorrow ahead of the FA Cup third round tie at The Hawthorns against Gateshead.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:10:19 AM »
“Every successful club is built on unity and that is what I shall strive to help bring to Albion. We need everyone together from top to bottom – the supporters, all the staff, the players, everyone who has an interest in the club’s welfare."

That's the key!
Welcome Tony, good luck. COYB!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »
doesn't say if he's bringing his own back room staff
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

boingusmaximus

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »
According to the BBC his first signing will be Peter Crouch.  Is it going to be Ron Saunders revisited?

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »
Fantastic news. Well done Jeremy Peace for realising the club needed to go in a different direction structurally. I cannot think of anyone at this point in time who I would rather have managing the side. Onwards and upwards.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:16:02 AM »
Excellent appointment, experienced, hardworking manager. Welcome Tony ,now down to work.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 10:18:56 AM »
According to the BBC his first signing will be Peter Crouch.  Is it going to be Ron Saunders revisited?

just an assumption from the BBC (I Hope) TP needs to asses what he has before bringing anybody in
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 10:19:25 AM »
Thank goodness there wasn't a last minute hitch...

Really excited. Do hope he doesn't sign loads of ex Stoke players though...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

RogerBadoo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
Great appointment - but please no Peter Crouch....

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »
Well done JP and co for a swift appointment.

Exactly what we need *right now*. Hopefully the Hawthorns will become a fortress again and fans will unite behind the new regime.

As for Crouch. Yes please. Better than anything we've got and gives us another option.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 10:28:31 AM »
Here's what I posted on the New manager thread before it got locked, I wanted to repost it because I went to a lot of effort writing it! Hope that's ok mods!

Here are my thoughts on Pulis joining:

One, the club is in a bit of a mess really and are repeatedly making mistakes over and over again. There were poor signings made towards the end of Clarke's reign. Sinclair was a waste, Anelka, Lugano too and it all sounded like there was a chap behind the scenes called Dave McDonahugh pulling the transfer strings while a man whose only experience came as a lawyer was suddenly the director of football. We'd balls'd up big time.

Skip forward to December 2013 and Pepe Mel arrives, employed because we want a change of style in the middle of a season where we were really struggling. It proved to be a terrible idea and Mel's time was cut short.

We then added Alan Irvine and bought a load of players who would have very much fitted Mel's style of play but didn't suit Irvine's. What a mess. I do believe that the issues of recruiting however were addressed and last summer's recruiting more than likely had some residual influence from the past and we'll see a more positive input from the scouts in the next two transfer windows.

So with the club getting managers, sorry, head coaches in and giving them the wrong players we were looking a total mess and I don't think any of us wanted to see Irvine buy his type of players. Thankfully though regrettably, we let him go and this appointment suddenly became very, very important.

Step up Tony Pulis. If there ever was a man to sort out a mess at a club it's him. I think his demands to have full control over the transfers can only be good. I'm done with seeing managers get the wrong players and be at odds with the recruitment department.

A lot has been said about his style, well we've seen two styles from him at Palace and Stoke and admittedly, one job lasted a lot longer than the other BUT it proves he's adaptable.

You know what I take joy in watching? Corners being cleared almost every time instead of panic every time the opposition win a set-piece. I like seeing teams defend well and hit their opponents on the counter. I don't even mind long ball as long as it isn't every time. Most of all, I enjoy it when we win when it looks like we may draw and draw when we may lose.

I'm convinced that Peace has finally done everything correct here and Pulis is the man to get us back into the position we were on when Roy left. He's not the most glamorous boss either so you never know it may be the start of a long beautiful relationship!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
Fantastic - At last a good manager. Onwards and upwards now.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
every paper always links managers with ex players...i wouldnt expect any new signings in first week he needs to see what he has or hasnt got in the squad...lets get behind the boys and have a better half of the seaon boing boing

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 10:30:22 AM »
Delighted with this appointment. Hodgson aside this should be the best appointment we've made in 10 years. As for new players. Crouch is still miles better than Anichebe or Samaras.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

lonions

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 10:31:20 AM »
Happy with that appointment.

Bet there’s a few premier league teams now thinking not him again. i would be!

COYB!!

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 10:32:26 AM »
Great appointment - but please no Peter Crouch....
agree..he is the last person I want in an almost stripped shirt....Also Pulis is an experienced manager has been there seen it and done it...so why not get in the dugout today...I have had enough if the 3 stooges...they know their cushy life is up...so please Tony..get the track suit on get on the side of tge pitch and organise our shambles into a team !!!!

very old baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 10:37:17 AM »
Great appointment.... well done JP  :)

PS I would welcome Peter Crouch.... still has plenty to offer!
very old baggie...sandershowemillardsetterskennedybarlowgriffinrobsonallenkevanlee(orhorobin)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »
Shrewd individual that TP is, I believe he already knows the strengths and weaknesses of our squad.

I dare say he's been sitting on the sidelines looking at clubs that are in trouble and where a vacancy would be imminent so that when he moved in he was already ahead of the game, he knows time is short.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »
doesn't say if he's bringing his own back room staff
I doubt they'll say anything about that yet when the current incumbents are taking charge of the side at West Ham. They may still even be involved against Gateshead. It's nice for us to not take weeks for "due diligence" over a decision for once.

Welcome Tony and good luck. I hope you can do the business for us without us having to play like Stoke did whilst you were there.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:39:42 AM by WorcsWBA »

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 10:38:31 AM »
Welcome to the club Tony.

Delighted with the appointment, just what we needed

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

ComebackStrodds

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »
Really happy with that. I was convinced he'd turn us down and we'd end up with Sherwood.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
His comment about unity is bang on and something we haven't had at the club for a while now.

Nice to have some positivity running through the board again! Happy days!

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
The best possible appointment for us at this moment in time. Well done Jeremy and good luck Tony. Let's get s**t sorted!