Author Topic: Claudio Yacob (Left, now at Nottm Forest)  (Read 328684 times)

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Claudio Yacob
« Reply #1100 on: September 15, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »
He is the best defensive midfielder we have, brilliant at closing down the opposition and protecting the back four. Our record with and without him is stark in terms of average points per game. We dropped off last season when Livermore replaced him. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Not sure why we signed Barry, Livermore and Krychowiak to effectively replace Fletcher! Over-loaded in the middle now and short of a quality of striker up-front. Manager is responsible for that. Be interesting to see if Yacob finds a way back.

Best defensive midfielder without doubt, with Barry &  Krychowiak we don't need to pick Livermore, slot Morrison in front and we become more mobile - games a good un

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1101 on: October 22, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »
For goodness sake, get him back in the team. Our current midfield setup is not working. Claudio has his limitations, but is better than the ineffective Livermore, the aging Barry, and Gregorgz who has brought nothing to the table. Boufal would not have scored his "wonder goal" if Claudio had been on the pitch. No "after you Sofiane" from Yacob.

Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1102 on: October 22, 2017, 04:42:15 PM »
For goodness sake, get him back in the team. Our current midfield setup is not working. Claudio has his limitations, but is better than the ineffective Livermore, the aging Barry, and Gregorgz who has brought nothing to the table. Boufal would not have scored his "wonder goal" if Claudio had been on the pitch. No "after you Sofiane" from Yacob.
you’ve been watching a different grzegorz to me if you think he’s brought nothing to the table since signing, he’s looked composed, won the vast majority of his challenges and plays forward, Barry has also looked solid. The only player I wouldn’t want to see near our midfield is Livermore.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1103 on: October 22, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »
Everyone knows how I feel about Yacob should be the first name on the team sheet every game get him back in! Pulis out.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1104 on: October 22, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
you’ve been watching a different grzegorz to me if you think he’s brought nothing to the table since signing, he’s looked composed, won the vast majority of his challenges and plays forward, Barry has also looked solid. The only player I wouldn’t want to see near our midfield is Livermore.
I must admit i should have written "he has brought nothing to the table to substantiate his reported £108,000 per week payment". Furthermore if that salary is true, then the Chairman needs to sack himself. 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1105 on: October 22, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
 Easy to forget how much Yacob gives us overall when his trademark bad pass happens , needs to be back in the side in front of that back four.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1106 on: October 22, 2017, 06:11:44 PM »
Maybe Yacob would have got his foot in yesterday to stop the goal, but that's not our main problem at the moment. It's about setting up chances at the other end, which is where our problems are. It's no good Pulis going on about missing a single chance. Any other side with the talent we have available, should be setting up many  more chances. Every team misses chances.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1107 on: October 22, 2017, 06:27:33 PM »
I'd pick Barry every time over Yacob for his better use of the ball and ability to slot a telling pass and I don't think we want to pick both. Barry wasn't on the pitch when the goal was scored yesterday. OK we may not be keeping clean sheets mainly through errors but it's the offensive side of the team that's the biggest problem.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1108 on: October 22, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »
I'd pick Barry every time over Yacob for his better use of the ball and ability to slot a telling pass and I don't think we want to pick both. Barry wasn't on the pitch when the goal was scored yesterday. OK we may not be keeping clean sheets mainly through errors but it's the offensive side of the team that's the biggest problem.
We can't score and we can't stop the other team's from scoring! That is a recipe for disaster.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1109 on: October 22, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »
We can't score and we can't stop the other team's from scoring! That is a recipe for disaster.
I have noticed - but we are not shipping a crazy amount of goals....could say that only in the Brighton game did we have a notably bad day defensively.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1110 on: October 23, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
Yacob should be one of the first names on the team sheet in my opinion. We all know his limitations with a lack of pace and his questionable passing ability if he tries to knock it more than 10 yards but no one protects the back four like he does. We always look more solid with him in there shielding the back line and it is surely proven now that a central midfield three of Barry, Livermore and Krychowiak simply doesn't work so one if not two need to be dropped.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1111 on: October 23, 2017, 10:30:09 AM »
Think we'll see him start against city with greg and Livermore. Afraid it'll be more of a holding 3 though rather than a more dynamic setup with one getting further forward.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1112 on: October 23, 2017, 07:44:46 PM »
If we're going to prat about with our midfield on top of our back four then we may as well have Yacob in there actually breaking up the play. I keep hearing people say he is in poor in possession but the whole bloody team is! And what's the point in playing possession when your sole purpose is to hoof the ball own the channel.

I'd rather see Yacob next to Barry with Polish Greg playing further forward. The current set up with Livermore who offers absolutely nothing does not work. At least you can see the redeeming features of Barry and Greg and the quality they have.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1113 on: October 23, 2017, 07:49:15 PM »
Livermore should only see minutes from the bench as needed and Barry's form seems to be a bit down. I wouldn't mind seeing Yacob and Greg paired in the 4231. Play true fullbacks, true wingers, and Chadli as a true attacking midfielder behind Rondon or whoever you want up front. There's absolutely no need to be playing three central midfielders.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1114 on: October 23, 2017, 07:53:57 PM »
Livermore should only see minutes from the bench as needed and Barry's form seems to be a bit down. I wouldn't mind seeing Yacob and Greg paired in the 4231. Play true fullbacks, true wingers, and Chadli as a true attacking midfielder behind Rondon or whoever you want up front. There's absolutely no need to be playing three central midfielders.

Might not have to worry about Barry's dip in form over the short term.

He's reportedly got a back strain and is a slight doubt for Saturday.

Meanwhile, Evans and Dawson are rated as major doubts.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php#c22
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1115 on: October 23, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »
A certain Mr Irvine chose to relegate Yacob to the bench, look at how that worked out.
Midfield should have Yac and Greg as defensive pairing. We shouldn't play 3 DMF
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1116 on: October 23, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »
Greg is a box to box CM

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1117 on: October 23, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
Greg is a box to box CM
He has played DMF and CH, from what I have seen he would work well as a partner for Yacob
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1118 on: October 23, 2017, 08:44:11 PM »
He has played DMF and CH, from what I have seen he would work well as a partner for Yacob
Well maybe but depends if you think Yacob is better than Barry...I don't personally. I'm a bit bemused about why Yacob is getting pushed so much since Saturday. Leaking goals through the centre is the least of our problems...one wonder goal on Saturday when Barry wasn't on the pitch.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1119 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »
If we're going to prat about with our midfield on top of our back four then we may as well have Yacob in there actually breaking up the play. I keep hearing people say he is in poor in possession but the whole bloody team is! And what's the point in playing possession when your sole purpose is to hoof the ball own the channel.

I'd rather see Yacob next to Barry with Polish Greg playing further forward. The current set up with Livermore who offers absolutely nothing does not work. At least you can see the redeeming features of Barry and Greg and the quality they have.

Good post & one i 100% agree with, Jake isnt firing on all cylinders

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1120 on: October 28, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »
It's a crime that he doesn't start >:(

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1121 on: October 29, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
I've just spent 20 minutes going through the stats since the start of 2016/17 to date, including all the games this season.

Yacob has started 28 games from which we have got 36 points. Average of 1.29 points per game which is 49 points per season with him.

Compare that with 20 games he hasn't started from which we have got 19 points. Average of 0.95 points per game which is 36 points per season without him.

That's a huge 13 point swing based on the last 48 premiership matches. Bearing in mind Yacob has only started once this season and we have played only 2 clubs from the top 5 the difference is probably a bit larger than that as the kind fixture list of 2017/18 swings it further.

49 points last season would have got us 8th as well against 45 points and 10th place finish. Whereas our average without him of 36 points is just 2 points above relegated Hull  :o
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:19:05 PM by baggie82 »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1122 on: October 29, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »
I've just spent 20 minutes going through the stats since the start of 2016/17 to date, including all the games this season.

Yacob has started 28 games from which we have got 36 points. Average of 1.29 points per game which is 49 points per season with him.

Compare that with 20 games he hasn't started from which we have got 19 points. Average of 0.95 points per game which is 36 points per season without him.

That's a huge 13 point swing based on the last 48 premiership matches. Bearing in mind Yacob has only started once this season and we have played only 2 clubs from the top 5 the difference is probably a bit larger than that as the kind fixture list of 2017/18 swings it further.

49 points last season would have got us 8th as well against 45 points and 10th place finish. Whereas our average without him of 36 points is just 2 points above relegated Hull  :o

Correlation does not prove causation. For what it's worth if our 3 in the midfield are mainly there to block off the channels rather make any attacking or creative contribution Yacob does that better than any of the current 3 and while they all have a better range of passing than Yacob if it isn't being used we lose nothing going forward and gain something defensively.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1123 on: October 29, 2017, 05:59:26 PM »
Correlation does not prove causation. For what it's worth if our 3 in the midfield are mainly there to block off the channels rather make any attacking or creative contribution Yacob does that better than any of the current 3 and while they all have a better range of passing than Yacob if it isn't being used we lose nothing going forward and gain something defensively.
even if it's not being used as effectively as we might like, Barry had a big hand in both goals yesterday and has slotted some nice balls through in previous games.

stubba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1124 on: October 29, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »
You could make the same case for Brunty & G Mac we won more games when they play.