Author Topic: Claudio Yacob (Left, now at Nottm Forest)  (Read 328670 times)

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

Re: Claudio Yacob signed Offical
« Reply #450 on: July 26, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »

It doesn't matter if he was 40 or 80, he was seen as Englands best option.
Go back to 86 then and look at his performance (v Maradona).

If England is going to start winning things we've got to stop being soft and nice and start forcing the issue and making success happen.

I hope we never stoop so low as the Argies have in their history thankyou very much.  Cheating footballers (Maradona, Simeone, Rattin) and Galtieri and Kirchner the presidents who would rather attack OUR Islands to mask their countries problems.

The Gaffer

« Reply #451 on: July 26, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »

I hope we never stoop so low as the Argies have in their history thankyou very much.  Cheating footballers (Maradona, Simeone, Rattin) and Galtieri and Kirchner the presidents who would rather attack OUR Islands to mask their countries problems.

Don't worry, if it ever happened to OUR advantage we'd find every "reason" under the sun and we'd love it.

Not going to happen though we're too wussy to be honest. Because we're English and we live the lives we do, we think we are always right - we're not!

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #452 on: July 26, 2012, 11:45:09 AM »
To get this back on track ...

Welcome to the club, if you settle quickly you could add a new dimension to us this season.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #453 on: July 26, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
What is the fuss about we lost and the Argies won and that is the end of it, as for cheating most footballers cheat in one form or another.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #454 on: July 26, 2012, 12:17:16 PM »
Last time I checked this was about Claudio Yacob not Mradonna, Peter Shilton's penalty record and what we'd do if we cheated to win games.

Welcome to the Club Claudio! Don't even think about cheating, some lads are on to you and I don't know how I'd cope if you did cheat and we won...

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #455 on: July 26, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »
Seen a picture of him earlier doing some sort of sunbathing.

Glad to know he's settled in with the group!  :)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: July 26, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »
I've got high hopes for this lad. If utilized correctly, could turn out to be a great signing

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #457 on: July 26, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »
No special ring of knowledge you sarcy git  :D

We were out drinking Saturday night and just bumped into people and got chatting, nothing sinister about it  ;)
You know me all too well! :-*

Was just interested to be fair! :P
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #458 on: July 26, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »

No you wouldn't!

It's all very well being fair and nicey, nicey but if you want success you gotta be more rutheless than that. When it comes to the history books none of them are going to stae "Argentina won but England were fair and sweet" and more to the point, in our heart of hearts if we actually admit it to ourselves we were made to look stupid and naiive.

Gaffer that's a good name for some one who likes to tell people what to do so perhaps you should consider changing yours to dictator & make every one think like you to.
I would rather we dropped down to the championship than stay up by a player diving .
Can see you & i are from different times.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:09:37 PM by OldburyWBA »

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #459 on: July 26, 2012, 07:24:46 PM »

Gaffer that's a good name for some one who likes to tell people what to do so perhaps you should consider changing yours to dictator & make every one think like you to.
I would rather we dropped down to the championship than stay up by a player diving .
Can see you & i are from different times.
Every sportsman has the opportunity to cheat some take it some dont. If a player dives and everyone sees it but the ref and gives a pen do you think the player should say "No ref I dived". I dont think he would be very popular with his own team mates or fans. We dont live in a perfect world do we. ???

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #460 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »
Every sportsman has the opportunity to cheat some take it some dont. If a player dives and everyone sees it but the ref and gives a pen do you think the player should say "No ref I dived". I dont think he would be very popular with his own team mates or fans. We dont live in a perfect world do we. ???

A diver wouldn't say a thing to the Ref  A good player wouldn't have dived in the first place ask Theory Henry if he would do what he did to the Irish if he was in the same position again, it spoilt his reputation as a sportsman i have seen players rolling all over the pitch trying to get a fellow pro's book our sent off FOR ME this spoils the game but for some as long as its one of there players doing the acting that's ok.sorry mods this has no connection to the post but i feel i have the right to reply.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #461 on: July 26, 2012, 11:52:50 PM »
Shane Long dives constantly, I don't see many of you moaning about it!  ::)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #462 on: July 27, 2012, 07:15:46 AM »
Shane Long dives constantly, I don't see many of you moaning about it!  ::)

TBH when he does do it he gets a FFS from me !
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #463 on: July 27, 2012, 08:20:38 AM »
TBH when he does do it he gets a FFS from me !

Same here.  I'm shouting at him from the stands to 'get the **** up'.

I dont like cheating in sport.  No place for it IMO.

The Gaffer

« Reply #464 on: July 27, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »
A diver wouldn't say a thing to the Ref  A good player wouldn't have dived in the first place ask Theory Henry if he would do what he did to the Irish if he was in the same position again, it spoilt his reputation as a sportsman i have seen players rolling all over the pitch trying to get a fellow pro's book our sent off FOR ME this spoils the game but for some as long as its one of there players doing the acting that's ok.sorry mods this has no connection to the post but i feel i have the right to reply.

Ahem, Christiano Ronaldo? Has he never dived?   .......................... Or is he not a "good player?"

BaggieJames114

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #465 on: July 27, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »
Welcome to the club Yacob, looking forward to seeing what he has to offer

Talking about diving, Reids dive vs Norwich last season. It was almost a reflief to see Odem miss the spot kick it was so embarrassing

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #466 on: July 27, 2012, 12:43:35 PM »

Ahem, Christiano Ronaldo? Has he never dived?   .......................... Or is he not a "good player?"

One of the best footballers in the world
But he ant no Bobby Charlton

Gaffer lets just agree to disagree

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #467 on: July 27, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »
Claudio Yacob is going to be brilliant for us pinging balls into the spaces behind the back four for PO Longy and JT to run on to.................................... ;D

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #468 on: July 27, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »
Claudio Yacob is going to be brilliant for us pinging balls into the spaces behind the back four for PO Longy and JT to run on to.................................... ;D
I like your optimism ruby

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #469 on: July 30, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
This is from Tim Vickery's latest BBC blog

My team, West Brom have signed Argentina midfielder Claudio Yacob from Racing Club. All I know, from what I've read, is that he's a decent passer of the ball and has been capped a few times for Argentina. What you know about him and how do you think he'll fair in the Premier League?
Chris Adams

I'm not a huge fan, to be honest. Those Argentina caps have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Recently they've had as many as three squads on the go at the same time, so caps have been handed out all over the place. I've been following Yacob since the South American Under-20s in 2007 and I've never been over-impressed. He's neat enough and clearly has a strong personality and leadership qualities. But as a holding midfielder I'm not convinced by his tackling - I think he's off balance and a candidate for cards - or his range of passing.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #470 on: July 30, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
This is from Tim Vickery's latest BBC blog

My team, West Brom have signed Argentina midfielder Claudio Yacob from Racing Club. All I know, from what I've read, is that he's a decent passer of the ball and has been capped a few times for Argentina. What you know about him and how do you think he'll fair in the Premier League?
Chris Adams

I'm not a huge fan, to be honest. Those Argentina caps have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Recently they've had as many as three squads on the go at the same time, so caps have been handed out all over the place. I've been following Yacob since the South American Under-20s in 2007 and I've never been over-impressed. He's neat enough and clearly has a strong personality and leadership qualities. But as a holding midfielder I'm not convinced by his tackling - I think he's off balance and a candidate for cards - or his range of passing.
Blog from Daniel Colasimone, South American football expert who's been based in Argentina since 2006:

Claudio Yacob’s nickname in the Racing dressing room was ‘Skinny Girl’ (La Flaca). West Brom, who are reportedly interested in signing him, may or may not be aware of that fact, but they need not be turned off by it. The Argentine midfielder is no sissified waif; in fact his determined style is quite the opposite. The moniker actually refers to Yacob’s dreamy good looks, which will likely be an inconvenience to him should he ever end up in prison, but fortunately do not affect his ability to anchor a midfield.

Skinny Girl wears the number ‘5’ on his back at Racing, which is the second most prestigious number in Argentinian football. These are the players who sit at in front of the defence, breaking down opposition attacks and initiating offensive moves for their own team. Think Mascherano, Gago and Cambiasso. Sergio Busquets is the European version and the prime example in football today.

This type of defensive midfielder, in order to climb to the top of the tree in Argentinian football, must possess a fine all-round game and Yacob does have the required attributes. He may lack the fierceness of Javier Mascherano, but his positional sense, purpose and stamina make him a very effective defensive shield.

He frequently forces turnovers, and then has the ball control to break out of tight situations and instigate attacks. When given possession with a little more time to work with, Skinny Girl is adept at distributing from deep, either through short lateral passes or more ‘vertical’ through balls. He does not score often (it’s not really his job), though he can unleash thunderbolts from distance, and is surprisingly useful in the box from set pieces.

Yacob covers considerable ground in the middle, though is not especially quick. At 1.83m and 76kg he is not a minor presence, but nor is he often dominant in physical battles with players of similar stature. This is an area of his game he might need to work on should a European move transpire, though much will depend on how managers use him and what they expect from him.

Since he debuted at Racing Club in 2006, successive managers have come to expect a great deal.

Hailing from Santa Fe province, where the soil must be ideal for producing talented footballers (see Messrs Batistuta, Banega and Messi), Yacob initially trialled with Boca Juniors as a youngster before getting homesick and going back to his family. Later he would return to Buenos Aires to join the Racing youth system, and it is at the Avellaneda club that he has remained ever since. He was also a key part of Argentina’s title winning team at the U20 World Championships in Canada.

Though he is only 24 now, Yacob had been Racing captain since the 2008 Apertura. This is a testament to perhaps his most distinguishing features as a player, his strong personality and leadership qualities. He is regularly cited as the one of the most influential players at the club by teammates and managers alike.

And as if being a pretty boy footballer isn’t enough to impress the ladies, he enjoys painting and playing guitar in his spare time. Sigh.

Racing currently have a glut of quality ‘number 5s’ competing with Skinny Girl for a place in the starting lineup. Argentinian clubs survive by selling their most talented players, and Racing are keen to offload Yacob, who has Italian citizenship, before he gets much older.

Though his contract expires in six months, he has stated that he would be willing to renew to ensure Racing receive a fair price for him when they do sell, as a sign of gratitude to the club that made him.

Yacob could be an excellent acquisition for the Baggies, especially since he is on a free, though his success could largely depend on how he is utilised. He is not a frenetic box-to-box bomber like Steven Gerrard, nor is he a David Silva-style playmaker. He is a leader from the back of midfield, however, who is both tenacious and skilful. And there are many clubs who could do with a player like that.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/why-west-brom-need-to-snap-up-free-agent-claudio-yacob/

Tired of hearing about Vickery.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #471 on: July 30, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #472 on: August 05, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
After yesterday's game, the kit man tweeted that Yacob asked if he could keep his match shirt and kissed it before putting it into his bag. That would suggest he's pretty happy with his move to the club.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #473 on: August 05, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
For anyone who went to the game yesterday, how did Yacob look when he came on?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #474 on: August 05, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
To be honest Vanderlei he didn't have to do much. He made one good recovery tackle when we caught out but that was probably his most significant impact in the game. Seems to want the ball and uses it very effeciently, i.e. He gets it moves it away, similar to what Joe Allen does for Swansea City.

The official site said he got 25 minutes under his belt but it appeared much shorter than that. As I said, he didn't have to do much in his run out.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom