Author Topic: 16 Sept 2017 Albion 0 West Ham 0  (Read 47621 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »
Only caught part of the game on poor Stream. What I saw was constant launching of long balls forward from the back, and the inevitable quick loss of possession. It looks like they are being told to by-pass the midfield, although  there isn't usually a midfield anyway, because the midfielders have tracked back to around their own penalty area. So the ball gets launched to the centre forward, who loses it because he hasn't any support. The only variation  seems to be long balls out to the flanks.
Why can't we try to build attacking moves using the midfield like most teams do? We have plenty of skilful players in that area. 

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »
You must have been at a different game to me, how do you work out that Brunt was magnificent? No one was magnificent they where all dire.

Brunt didnt give the ball away at all, used the ball very very well! Everytime he got it he picked a pass

Wollastonbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2017, 05:13:02 PM »

Foster

Dawson      Hegazi        Evans

Nyom                 Krychowiak                  Barry                  Gibbs

Morrison

Rondon                      Rodriguez

It doesn't matter how you write the names down on a bit of paper-they'll end up playing with a 9 man defence with the so called striker isolated and outnumbered 30 yards away. We won't play the ball through midfield 'because there won't be anybody in midfield. Until Pulis accepts that the midfield's role is 2 fold-to assist the defence and be where attacks are initiated, we won't get anywhere.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
Brunt didnt give the ball away at all, used the ball very very well! Everytime he got it he picked a pass

Thought Brunt was our best player yesterday, the only one who seemed willing to try something different .... result he was took off !!
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

pensnett stu

• WBA Newbie

Fans no longer matter
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »
If as suggested by some fans that we no longer matter As the club has enough money rolling in from the premier gravy train. What happens if this dire football we have been watching for most of pulis's reign continues and we happen to get regulated.He's already slowly killing off the away fans, and if we did go down I'm sure the same would happen to the home fans.Other teams are staying in the premier playing watchable football, why not us. We have the players to do it but all they seemed to be trained in is defending. You can see this we we do occasionally attack with out lumping it upfield they don't seem to have the know how what to do. Anyway I'm just an old geezer who's  loved going to the hawthorns and seeing them give the opposition a game win or lose 😀

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »
An awful game of football

Nothing more to be said
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »
Was it football?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2017, 10:46:31 PM »

Time and again Brunt played the ball to no one, misplacing pass after pass, along with Morrison he was the biggest culprit.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2017, 02:08:21 AM »
Time and again Brunt played the ball to no one, misplacing pass after pass, along with Morrison he was the biggest culprit.

He had a 73% pass success rate, 8th worst of the 11 that started against West Ham. Stats are s*** though

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2017, 07:58:43 AM »
Sorry another striker isn't going to fix the problem it's systematic it is not about the individual components in the system. Way too many instances of players breaking out of midfield and not having any support. The player on the ball is lucky to have 1 pass on and the forward one is often a difficult one at a very narrow bit of pitch down one of the wide channels. Rodriguez cut a lonely figure like Rondon before him all the back to Ricardo Fuller.

This is a capable group of players but our performances are no different to when Pulis took over nearly three seasons ago.

I think a striker that could actually hold onto the ball, giving players from midfield a chance to support, would be a big improvement and definitely help given our style of play.

We looked better against Bournemouth when we played Rodriguez through the middle mainly because we seemed to play the ball through midfield and to his feet rather than just lumping it forward which we have resorted back to in the last few games.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »
He had a 73% pass success rate, 8th worst of the 11 that started against West Ham. Stats are s*** though

I'm guessing most of the 73% were short sideways or backwards passes which you'd expect a player in the premier league to be able to do.

What he did do on a number of occasions is pass to no one when we were attacking or mis-hit a long range pass, not what you'd expect from someone who apparently has "a wand of a left foot" as some posters seem to think.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2017, 02:35:47 PM »
I'm guessing most of the 73% were short sideways or backwards passes which you'd expect a player in the premier league to be able to do.

What he did do on a number of occasions is pass to no one when we were attacking or mis-hit a long range pass, not what you'd expect from someone who apparently has "a wand of a left foot" as some posters seem to think.

Exactly. You wouldn't expect him to be the 3rd worst passer in the team. I've noticed a few times this season when he's been at left back where he literally just smashed the ball on the half volley without looking at all

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »
Out of interest (not to mention Monday boredom  ;D ) does anyone know how many of those miss hit passes were made with his right foot while playing on his 'wrong' side?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
Playing a one paced winger on the wrong side when our only outlet was to get the ball forward quick never was going to work.

I said previous i think in the style we play Brunts days as a out and out wideman are finished, however play him as a left back when the game is in front of him and he can use his passing skills better.

The downside to that is he isnt an actual left back so he gets caught out from time to time.

I dont think it was just Brunt on saturday, it was just a complete nothing performance in a nothing game.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2017, 05:51:51 PM »
better lineup, same rubbish result. I was unhappy about Dawson getting the nod over Nyom (Nyom has performed way better than Dawson at RB and this isn't even close) but I don't think it would had mattered. Regardless of who gets put in the 11 the midfield is completely ignored and long balls are played forward where J-Rod was as much of a ghost as Rondon has been many times because of course he was because the system/gameplan is the problem. Foster time-wasting near the end of the game tells you everything you need to know about that. You do that against teams better than you, mostly on the road, not at home vs a struggling West Ham. Pathetic.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #240 on: September 18, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
better lineup, same rubbish result. I was unhappy about Dawson getting the nod over Nyom (Nyom has performed way better than Dawson at RB and this isn't even close) but I don't think it would had mattered. Regardless of who gets put in the 11 the midfield is completely ignored and long balls are played forward where J-Rod was as much of a ghost as Rondon has been many times because of course he was because the system/gameplan is the problem. Foster time-wasting near the end of the game tells you everything you need to know about that. You do that against teams better than you, mostly on the road, not at home vs a struggling West Ham. Pathetic.
Pulis will give Dawson the nod over Nyom at RB every time mainly for his aerial presence in both boxes. Nyom does seem to have this habit of misjudging the flight of crosses and Dawson also offers a threat from set pieces.

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #241 on: September 19, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »
Another wasted opportunity to get a few more points on the board , can only assume he played hegazi at the back alongside Dawson at FB to counteract the ariel threat of Carroll, took my brother to the match as my mate went off to see Alvechurch in FA cup at Granthem  wish I had done to , my bro said tell ur mate next time to stick with West Brom and he will go and watch Alvechurch, on plus side Gregor looks very accomplished , a bit more game time and he will do the business , Barry looked solid as well, need more imagination in front of them