Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 363038 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #575 on: January 13, 2018, 11:50:55 PM »

This won't just go away no matter how many people say what they 'think' Rodriguez said.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #576 on: January 14, 2018, 12:08:09 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5266519/Black-players-trial-just-speaking-out.html

Not a massive fan of Olly Holt and obviously went to press before he could see the social media aftermath of the Rodriguez incident, which has unfortunately been similar, with the person making the allegation being further abused.

Well worth a read.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #577 on: January 14, 2018, 12:30:19 AM »
There was an altercation and words exchanged. J-Rod was holding his nose and implying Bong stank. Bong then got very upset and was running to ref complaining vermontly, clearly accusing J-Rod of racism. The ref called Bruno over to tell Bong to calm down. He then went to the fourth official and updated him on what was alleged to have been said and it was written down and shared with both benches. You could clearly make out Bong saying to the ref "I swear he said it" over and over. He calmed down once the ref explained he would be including it in his report. J-Rod looked bemused throughout. It's going to come down to two versions of events. Most likely Bong overreacted to an insult, or misheard. The FA will take is seriously as the allegations are toxic but I don't see any evidence to condemn or punish J-Rod.

I'd love to know what you base this on?

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #578 on: January 14, 2018, 12:34:28 AM »
There is absolutely no way JRod said anything that was anything other than just winding him uo. Storm in a tea cup, and accusing players of saying the wrong thing is the evolution of diving in my opinion. Anything goes if it can con the ref.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #579 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:18 AM »

You could see on the video that he was saying to the ref 'he's racist' or similar

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #580 on: January 14, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »
Reported in the papers that he has accused him of racism and the  matter has been referred to the FA. Quote from both managers confirming it.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #581 on: January 14, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
You could clearly see him say to the ref he's racist, and Rodriguez replying I'm not racist. I honesty don't think there was anything in it despite what some people think/ hope it was just in my opinion don't come to close you stink.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #582 on: January 14, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
It's the culture we're in now. "You smell" - "HE'S A F*CKING RACIST!"

Now i'm quite left wing, somewhat liberal type, the type that get accused of being too PC which leads to this kind of thing but for Bong to jump to that reaction is preposterous. If Jay is found to not be guilty of anything then this is incredibly slanderous and could very well go down that route in the long term.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Smooth Lad

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #583 on: January 14, 2018, 09:32:33 AM »
The problem is bong is from the Cameroon and from what Trump said in the week about Africa countries being s***eholes it was a silly gesture to make.

Don't be so stupid. Do we have to check every news article in recent weeks before we say something nowadays? I doubt JRod has even heard Trumps comments.

If he was saying he stank or his breath stank then that's fine. There is nothing racist about it. Only those making some link between his country of origin and his lack of hygiene are making it racist. 
Keep St.George in my heart.

boot2006

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #584 on: January 14, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »
If Rodriguez is proved to have used racist language then he should be dealt with severely without question.  Same goes for Bong, if it is proven that he has lied to try to get Rodriguez sent off then he should be dealt with just as severely.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #585 on: January 14, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
You could clearly see him say to the ref he's racist, and Rodriguez replying I'm not racist. I honesty don't think there was anything in it despite what some people think/ hope it was just in my opinion don't come to close you stink.

Yep - you're right - seen the footage now. I don't think there is anything in it. Might just be a misunderstanding on both sides.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #586 on: January 14, 2018, 11:27:10 AM »

James McClean on Twitter
‏
When ever a person holds their nose and waves their hand over their mouth that always indicated that your breath stinks, for as long as iv known anyways, to suggest otherwise and put a mans reputation at risk is poor, given the man is one of the nicest blokes you could meet too

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #587 on: January 14, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
Tough one for the f.a if it comes out that no racist words were said. Whilst they don't want to be seen as discouraging players from reporting racist behaviour they also can't have players falsely accusing other players of racist behaviour when that's not the case. I think if he's cleared the'l put it down to a misunderstanding between the two however as McClean says Jay's reputation will now be damaged whether he's cleared or not and that's extremely wrong if he's cleared.

Wollastonbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #588 on: January 14, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
The best way out of this is for Bong to say he over-reacted in the heat of the moment and apologise, but I can't see that happening. Perhaps someone, like his manager  or a chum, should have a quiet word in Bong's ear-standing behind him, obviously- and suggest this to him.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #589 on: January 14, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
My first thought when I saw Bong's name was that's unfortunate as it sounds like Pong.

In the same way I always giggle at the surname Bates.

Not racist just a childish sense of humour.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:11:06 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #590 on: January 14, 2018, 01:46:56 PM »
The problem is bong is from the Cameroon and from what Trump said in the week about Africa countries being s***eholes it was a silly gesture to make.
This is totally ridiculous and posts like this feed the idiots that want to make something of nothing

If his breath stinks it has balls all to do with where his ancestors came from, the colour of his skin or his bloody religion..

The world needs to grow up
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: January 14, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
Chris Kamara on Goals on Sunday said 'we are not able to discuss the case but will say I know Jay and I'd say don't jump to any conclusions on this' - that's probably as strong as Kamara is allowed to be on live TV. Doesn't mean Jay is innocent of course but suggests it would be very out of character if he is guilty.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #592 on: January 14, 2018, 09:46:14 PM »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/bong-accuses-rodriguez-of-saying-youre-black-and-you-stink-598fxr6nm

Gaëtan Bong is alleging that he was racially abused by Jay Rodriguez with the words “you’re black and you stink” during his Brighton & Hove Albion side’s 2-0 defeat by West Bromwich Albion yesterday. The FA confirmed today that it has opened an investigation into Bong’s allegations, which were immediately relayed to Martin Atkinson, the referee, and are vehemently denied by Rodriguez.

Bong reacted angrily and immediately complained to Atkinson after a 56th-minute clash with Rodriguez, during which the former Southampton striker pinched his own nose. The referee spoke to both players before passing on details of the allegations to the fourth official, Tony Harrington. Rodriguez is believed to have denied saying anything of a racist nature at the time and repeated his stance when questioned again after the game at the Hawthorns. The 28-year-old’s version of events is understood to be that he used the words “your breath stinks” to Bong as he pinched his nose.

Bong is standing by his allegations however, which will now be investigated by the FA. The Cameroon international is regarded as one of the quietest and calmest players in Chris Hughton’s side so there was considerable shock among his team-mates at the anger of his response to the Rodriguez incident, and the club are convinced that he believed he heard what he has alleged.

Bong remained upset and bewildered by the incident on the journey back to Brighton yesterday and expressed his anger on Twitter without giving any further details. “Some words should not be said on a football field and specially not by players,” the 29-year-old tweeted. “Rodriguez words are unforgiveable for the man I am.”

West Brom are supporting Rodriguez, with Alan Pardew saying that he would be “surprised if it is anything” after the game, but are co-operating with the FA’s inquiries. Both clubs are happy with the way the flare-up was handled by Atkinson, who after speaking to both players took no action on the field but included the incident in his referee’s report.

Atkinson also spoke to Hughton, Pardew and Bong in his changing room after the game before completing his report. The clash took place near the corner flag with no one else in the immediate vicinity so verifying exactly what was said is likely to prove difficult.

The FA spoke to both clubs yesterday and before confirming it has opened an investigation. The governing body’s disciplinary department is already looking into claims that Roberto Firmino racially abused Mason Holgate during Liverpool’s FA Cup win over Everton nine days ago.

“The FA can confirm that referee Martin Atkinson was made aware of an allegation during the West Bromwich Albion versus Brighton & Hove Albion game at The Hawthorns yesterday and has subsequently reported this to the FA, which will now begin making enquiries into the matter,” the FA statement read.

The video of the interview if anyone is interested: https://twitter.com/SFR_Sport/status/952653555034460162
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:55:42 PM by TheBrom »

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #593 on: January 14, 2018, 09:52:20 PM »
Further evidence that football has gone SOFT...!?!

If someone is right in your face then you are likely to retaliate?

“you’re black, you stink” as has been reported can be seen as insulting, racist or factual - just depends on your agenda?

This is sport played by grown men - time to grow up...?!?
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #594 on: January 14, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »
"The words he said to me are unrepeatable because I am making it all up and I don't want to be found out as a liar."

is my take.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #595 on: January 14, 2018, 10:13:49 PM »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/bong-accuses-rodriguez-of-saying-youre-black-and-you-stink-598fxr6nm

Gaëtan Bong is alleging that he was racially abused by Jay Rodriguez with the words “you’re black and you stink” during his Brighton & Hove Albion side’s 2-0 defeat by West Bromwich Albion yesterday. The FA confirmed today that it has opened an investigation into Bong’s allegations, which were immediately relayed to Martin Atkinson, the referee, and are vehemently denied by Rodriguez.

Bong reacted angrily and immediately complained to Atkinson after a 56th-minute clash with Rodriguez, during which the former Southampton striker pinched his own nose. The referee spoke to both players before passing on details of the allegations to the fourth official, Tony Harrington. Rodriguez is believed to have denied saying anything of a racist nature at the time and repeated his stance when questioned again after the game at the Hawthorns. The 28-year-old’s version of events is understood to be that he used the words “your breath stinks” to Bong as he pinched his nose.

Bong is standing by his allegations however, which will now be investigated by the FA. The Cameroon international is regarded as one of the quietest and calmest players in Chris Hughton’s side so there was considerable shock among his team-mates at the anger of his response to the Rodriguez incident, and the club are convinced that he believed he heard what he has alleged.

Bong remained upset and bewildered by the incident on the journey back to Brighton yesterday and expressed his anger on Twitter without giving any further details. “Some words should not be said on a football field and specially not by players,” the 29-year-old tweeted. “Rodriguez words are unforgiveable for the man I am.”

West Brom are supporting Rodriguez, with Alan Pardew saying that he would be “surprised if it is anything” after the game, but are co-operating with the FA’s inquiries. Both clubs are happy with the way the flare-up was handled by Atkinson, who after speaking to both players took no action on the field but included the incident in his referee’s report.

Atkinson also spoke to Hughton, Pardew and Bong in his changing room after the game before completing his report. The clash took place near the corner flag with no one else in the immediate vicinity so verifying exactly what was said is likely to prove difficult.

The FA spoke to both clubs yesterday and before confirming it has opened an investigation. The governing body’s disciplinary department is already looking into claims that Roberto Firmino racially abused Mason Holgate during Liverpool’s FA Cup win over Everton nine days ago.

“The FA can confirm that referee Martin Atkinson was made aware of an allegation during the West Bromwich Albion versus Brighton & Hove Albion game at The Hawthorns yesterday and has subsequently reported this to the FA, which will now begin making enquiries into the matter,” the FA statement read.

The video of the interview if anyone is interested: https://twitter.com/SFR_Sport/status/952653555034460162
what he's tweeted doesn't make sense! big difference accusing Rodriguez saying you stink because your black, and him saying he made the gesture because I'm black. One implies the colour of skin was mentioned the others just paranoia.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #596 on: January 14, 2018, 10:22:56 PM »
what he's tweeted doesn't make sense! big difference accusing Rodriguez saying you stink because your black, and him saying he made the gesture because I'm black. One implies the colour of skin was mentioned the others just paranoia.
Exactly
Bong said "he made that gesture because of the colour of my skin"
This suggests that the colour of his skin wasn't mentioned
Going further , is bong actually suggesting that if you say someone has bad breath that that is fascism ?
If/when this is thrown out , Bong should receive a very long ban, because of this idiot many that are actually being victimised will feel they cannot speak out.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #597 on: January 15, 2018, 12:16:18 PM »
I personally think Bong is lying. I think he tried to get J-Rod sent off and when it didn't work felt like he had to follow through with the lie. J-Rod clearly gestured that Bong had stink breath but I didn't see anything on the TV images that showed him mouthing anything like what he has been accused of.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #598 on: January 15, 2018, 12:22:30 PM »
Sounds like a case of 'I want to be victim'
Good job the English and Aussie cricketers aren't as sensitive as these mites, and what they say to each other is heard on the microphones.
Chin up Jay.
Blimey is that racist?   :o
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #599 on: January 15, 2018, 12:29:00 PM »
I personally think Bong is lying. I think he tried to get J-Rod sent off and when it didn't work felt like he had to follow through with the lie. J-Rod clearly gestured that Bong had stink breath but I didn't see anything on the TV images that showed him mouthing anything like what he has been accused of.

The allegation is that Rodriguez has told Bong that "you're black and you stink"

I think it's indisputable that in someway JR has told him that he smells, be it breath or otherwise and unless there is a camera angle so you can lip read Rodriguez then it will be very hard to prove.

Hopefully this is a simple case of misinterpretation as those getting on their high horses from both sides are doing it absolutely no favours. The bad breath insult is playground stuff but it has been done before in the PL and nothing has been made of it. Also, it is worth bearing in mind that there is no prior evidence to suggest Bong would make up such an allegation. I'm sure he will be aware of the detrimental impacts a false accusation would have on those who have been the victims of genuine racist abuse.

I'm not sure Bong going on French tele or McClean coming out with character references on Twitter is going to help either party whilst the investigation is still ongoing.